Wet Sounds SDX4
Sinister™ Series 4-channel marine amplifier — 185 watts RMS x 4
Our take on the Wet Sounds SDX4 by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
You want to rock out on the water?
Looking for some serious sound for your aquatic fun? Wet Sounds' Sinister Series SDX4 marine amplifier will send four high-performance speakers 185 watts RMS each. Or, you could power two speakers with 185 watts RMS each, then bridge two channels together to drive a subwoofer with up to 685 watts RMS. You can configure this amp to run almost any setup — from multiple speakers and tower systems to high-performance marine subwoofers. A stereo/mono switch on each channel pair ensures you can send a full musical mix to whichever speaker or zone of the boat you want.
Tough and efficient
A conformal-coated PCB circuit board, a sealed salt-water resistant heat sink, and stainless steel hardware ensure that this amp will stand up to salt, spray, high temperatures, and continuous high-volume playing. This amp uses Wet Sounds' patented MAXED™ power supply technology to achieve high power efficiently, without straining your boat's electrical system. An onboard microprocessor monitors voltage, temperature, and much more to protect the amp from damage.
Tone controls that matter
High- and low-pass filters allow you to fine-tune the sound for your speakers and subs. A variable bass boost on Channel 1-2 lets you add boom when you're driving a sub. The power, speaker, and input connections are conveniently located on one side of the amp, while the top-mounted controls are protected by a removable cover. And you can set the Wet Sounds logo badge to glow either red, white, or blue, to reflect your particular party mood.
- 4-channel marine amplifier
- 185 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (340 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 685 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode
- CTA-2006 compliant
- advanced microprocessor control
- Wet Sounds' patented MAXED™ Class-D amp technology for low current draw
- variable low- and high-pass filters (30-290 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost on Ch 1-2 (0-15 dB at 30-130 Hz)
- remote level control with 20' cable
- stereo/mono switch on both sets of channels
- preamp and speaker-level inputs (speaker wire to RCA adapter required for speaker-level input)
- preamp outputs
- selectable 3-way LED logo badge (red, white, or blue)
- conformal-coated 4-layer printed circuit board
- saltwater-resistant heat sink
- top-mounted controls with protective cover
- removable speaker plugs
- fuse rating: 30A x 4
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 4-gauge power and ground wires recommended
- dimensions: 14-1/4"W x 3-5/16"H x 10-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 4-Channel marine amplifier
- Four 30A ATO fuses (installed)
- Remote Level Control module
- 20' Flat cable (RJ25 modular plugs on each end)
Why Shop With Us?12 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||185 x 4|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||---|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||90 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||340 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||685 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||30-290 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||30-290 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-15 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||30-130 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Marine Amplifier: The Wet Sounds Sinister series amplifiers are equipped with a fully conformal coated 4-layer PCB, and are specifically designed for marine applications. In addition, the amp features completely sealed, salt-water resistant, high-mass heat sinks and stainless steel hardware that resists corrosion. The Sinister amplifiers have a cast-aluminum chassis with all of the power, signal, and speaker connections on one side for a clean install.
Extended Side Panels: The SDX4 amplifier's side panels extend approximately 1/2" below the bottom of the amplifier chassis. This allows air to circulate under the amp for cooling purposes. It also allows you to hide the wiring under the chassis.
Logo: The Wet Sounds shield logo is mounted over the 3-way LED on the top of the amp. The LED light shows around the edges of the logo to let you observe the amp's status. You can choose the LED color (red, white, or blue), using the 3-way switch under the removable top panel. When the amplifier goes into protection mode, the LED light will flash a diagnostic sequence to aid you in troubleshooting. In addition, you can mount the logo horizontally or vertically to match your installation.
Remote Level Control: The included Remote Level Control lets you raise and lower the overall volume of the amplifier from the cockpit or driver's seat. The control attenuates the signal from 0dB to -61dB. A 20' flat connecting cable is included.
Control Panel: The top-mounted control panel is protected by two covers to help keep the controls dry, and to prevent unwanted adjustments. The full top cover screws can be removed with a 2.5mm Allen wrench, and the control panel cover screws can be removed with a 2mm Allen wrench (none supplied). The rotary controls and slide switches require the use of a narrow flat-head screwdriver (not supplied) to make adjustments. This 4-channel amplifier features independent controls for Channels 1+2 and 3+4:
- Gain (CH1+2, CH3+4): Independent Gain controls for each pair of channels let you match the amplifier to the source unit. The input sensitivity of the amp ranges from 0.2V to 6.1V.
- Crossover Selection Switch (CH1+2, CH3+4): The switches let you set each crossover to Low-pass, High-pass, or Full Range.
- Crossover Frequency (CH1+2, CH3+4): The amplifier's crossover is continuously variable from 30 Hz to 290 Hz, and has a slope of 12dB/octave.
- Bass Boost (CH1+2 only): The Bass Boost circuit increases the bass from 0 dB (flat) to +15 dB.
- Bass Boost Frequency (CH1+2 only): The bass boost circuit is continuously variable from 30 Hz to 130 Hz.
- Source Select (CH3+4): You can independently choose inputs 1+2 or 3+4 as the input source for channels 3+4.
- Mono/Stereo Switch (CH1+2, CH3+4): You can operate each channel pair in stereo or mono. If you wish to bridge the two channels, you should set the switch to Mono. Both the left and right channels are combined into a mono signal that is sent to both outputs, giving you a true mono output.
- LED Color: This 3-way switch lets you choose the color (red, white, or blue) of the LED behind the Wet Sounds shield logo on the top panel.
Connections: The SDX4's wiring connections are on the front of the amplifier, and are protected by the removable top panel. The connections are as follows:
- Power/Ground/Turn-on: The amplifier has set screw terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn on. These connections require an Allen wrench (not supplied) to tighten/loosen the set screws. The power and ground terminals will accept up to 4 AWG wire, and require a 3mm Allen wrench, while the remote turn-on terminal will accept up to 10 AWG wire, and requires a 2mm Allen wrench. The power wire should have an in-line 120A fuse near the battery.
- Fuses: The amplifier is protected by four 30-amp ATO blade-type fuses.
- Remote Level: The amp features a female RJ-25 jack for connecting the supplied Remote Level Control cable.
- Preamp Inputs: Two pairs of RCA inputs are provided for connecting the input signal from the source unit. If the source unit doesn't have two pairs of preamp outputs, you can use the source select switch to send the signal from another input.
- Pass Through: A pair of RCA pass-through outputs let you feed the signal to another amplifier, if needed.
- Speakers: The speaker outputs have captive C-clamp terminals for connecting the speakers. These C-clamps will accept 12 AWG to 16 AWG speaker wire, and require a 3mm Allen wrench (not included) to tighten/loosen the clamps.
- Power Output (@1%, 1000 Hz, 14.4V, CEA 2006):
- Stereo at 4 Ohms: 4 x 185 watts (@60A)
- Stereo at 2 Ohms: 4 x 340 watts (@123A)
- Mono at 4 Ohms: 2 x 685 watts (@122A)
- Frequency Response: 8 Hz to 35kHz (-3dB)
- Signal-to-Noise (A-wtg): >90dB / >113dB
- Sensitivity Range: 0.2V - 6.1V
- Dimensions: 14.25" width, 3.3125" height, 10.2" depth
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.