About the Wet Sounds WS-420 BT
Take control of your boat's sound system
Take control of your boat's sound system
Let's face it, a boat is not the place for subdued, dignified, audiophile-like music appreciation. Between engines, wind, water, seagulls, radio chatter, and your fun-loving friends, you're lucky to hear anything at all. If your day on the water includes activities like water skiing and wakeboarding, the challenge is multiplied.
That said, being on a boat doesn't have to mean tinny, screechy sound from cheap equipment. If you're going to crank it up (and you are), your music might as well sound as good as it can. That's why so many boaters are investing in marine-rated receivers, speakers, subwoofers, and amplifiers. If you're serious about sound, an equalizer is the next logical step. And this WS-420 BT equalizer from Wet Sounds offers Bluetooth connectivity, plus public address capability.
The Wet Sounds WS-420 BT offers plenty of outputs, plus PA capability.
Adjust your sound, then address your crew
The Wet Sounds WS-420 BT 4-band equalizer lets you take charge of your marine audio system. This equalizer/controller packs a lot of features into a compact half-DIN (1" tall) chassis. The WS-420 BT actually includes two separate equalizers, so you can control the volume and fine-tune the sound of your tower speakers and cabin speakers independently. You also get independent bass level control, so you can adjust your subwoofer, along with a source selector that chooses between the main source, auxiliary input, or Bluetooth input.
If you're towing skiiers or wakeboarders, the talk-back microphone will come in very handy. The mic's volume is separate from the music volume, so you can adjust it to suit your needs when it's time to make an announcement. When you key the mic, which runs through the tower speakers, the music is muted. When you release the key, the music resumes at its previous level.
Made for life on the water
Built-in Bluetooth gives you another connectivity option when you want to play music from phones and other devices, while the Boat Link system (a Wet Sounds exclusive) lets you link up your system with your WS-420 BT-equipped boating buddies so you can all enjoy the same music.
Designed to survive the demands of life on the water, this rugged equalizer won't succumb to moisture and broiling sunlight. A conformal-coated circuit board protects the internals from corrosion and damage.
- dual 4-band equalizers
- built-in Bluetooth
- independent control of cabin and tower speakers
- independent subwoofer volume control
- half-DIN (1" tall) chassis
Inputs and Outputs:
- 3.5mm Boat Link allows you to link up with other WS-420BT-equipped boats
- 3.5mm aux input jack for MP3 players and other sources
- microphone input for Wet Sounds talk-back PA mic
- frequency response: 10 to 40,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 80 dB at full output
- bass at 100 Hz, midbass at 300 Hz, midrange at 2000 Hz, highs at 15,000 Hz
- equalizer range: +12dB
- max output voltage: 5 volts RMS
- choose blue or red backlighting
- size: 1-5/8" H x 8-1/16" W
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WS-420 BT
What's in the box:
- 2-amp mini-blade fuse (installed)
- 2 Mounting brackets
- Four M3x4mm Machine screws
- Four 5/8" Self-tapping screws
- 4 Large washer/gaskets
- 4 Small washer/gaskets
- 2 Adhesive backed foam gaskets
- Microphone with 34" coiled cord (approximately 10' when stretched)
- Owner's manual
More details on the Wet Sounds WS-420 BT
Description: The Wet Sounds WS-420BT is a marine equalizer/pre-amp with line level outputs for tower speakers, "in-boat" speakers, and a subwoofer, plus a microphone input (with microphone included). The tower and in-boat channels have independent 4-band equalizers. There are four source inputs: main (RCA), aux (3.5mm), microphone, and a built-in Bluetooth receiver. The 1/2 DIN chassis can be mounted in-dash, or under-dash using the included brackets.
4-Band EQ: Rotary knobs adjust the output +/-12 dB at 100 Hz (bass), 300 Hz (mid-bass), 2 kHz (midrange), and 15 kHz (treble). The four center knobs control the in-boat channels, and the outer rings control the tower channels. There's a notch at each control's center position so it's easy to return to the flat setting. The EQ settings have no effect on the subwoofer output.
Volume: The relative volumes of the tower, in-boat, and subwoofer outputs, and the microphone input are independently adjustable. A separate main volume knob controls all the output volumes simultaneously.
Inputs: Use the rotary source switch to select between three inputs: main (RCA jacks on the rear panel), aux (3.5mm mini-jack on the rear panel), and the built-in Bluetooth receiver.
- Tower: Female stereo RCA outputs on the rear panel are routed to the amplifier powering the tower speakers. The tower channel outputs have an independent relative volume control (also controlled by the main volume) and independent equalizer controls. When the included microphone is keyed, the tower input is muted and the signal from the microphone is output through the tower speakers.
- In-Boat: Female stereo RCA outputs on the rear panel are routed to the amplifier powering the in-boat speakers. The in-boat channel outputs have an independent relative volume control (also controlled by the main volume) and independent equalizer controls. The signal from the included microphone is not routed to the in-boat speakers, thus keying the mic has no effect on those channels.
- Sub: Female stereo RCA outputs on the rear panel are routed to the amplifier powering the subwoofer(s). The sub channel outputs have an independent relative volume control (also controlled by the main volume). The sub output is full-range, so an amp with a built-in crossover should be used. The microphone also has no effect on the subwoofer.
Microphone: The included microphone plugs into a 3.5mm jack on the back of the WS-420BT. Wet Sounds calls it a Talk Back Microphone and its signal is only routed to the tower speakers. When the microphone is keyed, the tower input is muted and the microphone input is output through the tower speakers. The microphone has a belt clip for mounting.
Ground Isolation: The power supply ground can be changed using a jumper position inside the unit, in case of ground loop noise. The factory position is 220Ω, but can be changed to ISO or GND.
Illumination: A blue ring around each knob is lit whenever the unit is on. The color can be changed to red by changing a jumper position inside the unit.
Boat-Link: Wet Sounds' Boat-Link feature allows linking the system to another WS-420 equipped boat via a 3.5mm mini-jack on the back of the unit.
Input Gain: The input gains for the main input left and right channels and the auxiliary input left and right channels are set independently to match the source outputs to the EQ input. The four potentiometers are inside the unit.
- Faceplate: 8.068"
- Chassis: 6.927"
- Faceplate: 1.653"
- Chassis: 1.057"
- Mounting Depth: 5.563"
- Knob Protrusion: 0.628" (distance the knobs protrude from the mounting surface)
Mounting: The WS-420BT can be flush mounted in an existing panel, or the included brackets can be used to mount it below (or above) a horizontal surface. Depending on how you bolt the brackets in place, they will extend the flange width of the chassis to either 8-1/8" or 9-1/4".
- Bass Equalizer Frequency: 100 Hz
- Mid-Bass Equalizer Frequency: 300 Hz
- Midrange Equalizer Frequency: 2 kHz
- Treble Equalizer Frequency: 15 kHz
- Equalizer Range: +/-12 dB
- S/N Ratio: 80 dB (1 volt input)
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 40 kHz (-3 dB)
- Maximum Output Voltage: 5 volts RMS
- THD: 0.05%
- Input Impedance: 20 kΩ
- Stereo Separation: 80 dB (at 1 kHz)
- Operational Voltage: 11-15 volts DC (negative ground)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked