About the Audeze LCD-MX4
A special "hybrid" creation from the crowd-pleasing headphone company
A special "hybrid" creation from the crowd-pleasing headphone company
When I visited New York earlier this year for the CanJam headphone expo, Audeze had one of the busiest booths. No surprise here. Ever since the company started, their cutting-edge planar-magnetic models have been a hit with the hardcore headphone crowd. And that show was the first chance many of us had to try their LCD-MX4 headphones — a "hybrid" model that mashes up two of Audeze's most popular planar-magnetic designs.
The streamlined diaphragms and voice coils used here were borrowed from the company's LCD-X model. They are suspended within the same powerful magnet array found in their flagship LCD-4. The result? The LCD-MX4 perform efficiently and deliver accurate, consistent sound across a wide-frequency range.
The MX4's headband is made of carbon fiber and leather and uses a suspension system for a no-fuss fit..
Audeze's most efficient over-ear headphones
It takes a lot of power to drive most Audeze headphones, but the MX4s are a lot more flexible. Of course, you'll still get the best performance from a separate headphone amp. But these headphones are efficient enough to work with a portable music player or pro audio interface.
I brought up audio interfaces for a specific reason — Audeze told me that these headphones are found in some famous recording studios. Quite a few heavy-hitter engineers use these MX4 headphones to mix and master music for some mega-star artists.
When Audeze first approached these engineers, many told them “thanks, but no thanks.” They simply didn't use headphones as part of their normal workflow or music-making process — that is, until they finally gave these MX4 'phones as spin. Now a number of these industry pros absolutely love Audeze's precise impulse response, dynamics, and large soundstage.
How planar magnetic drivers work
Audeze cultivated this wide-open soundstage with their signature planar magnetic drivers. Unlike the dynamic drivers found in most headphones, planar magnetic drivers rely on a really thin diaphragm with a large surface area to generate sound.
A flexible circuit is etched across the entire surface of the diaphragm, which is suspended within a magnetic field. When the circuit receives an audio signal, it causes the diaphragm to move back and forth — moving air and creating sound.
Extra-strong magnet array
Each driver in the MX4 headphone uses a double Fluxor™ magnet array to move the diaphragm. Audeze put this patent-pending, custom magnet structure on both sides of the diaphragm. The magnets are laid out in an asymmetrical pattern, so that they attract to each other at an angle.
This creates an unheard of amount of magnetic flux, so the diaphragm starts and stops incredibly quickly.
- planar magnetic drivers deliver accurate sound across a wide frequency range
- designed for both studio use and reference listening
- used in professional recording studios for mixing and mastering
- hybrid design uses the efficient diaphragms of LCD-X model and powerful magnetic array of flagship LCD-4 model
- require less powerful amplification than typical planar magnetic headphones
- can be driven by a portable music player or pro audio interface
- a separate headphone amplifier will still produce optimum sound quality
- double Fluxor™ magnet array for precise and accurate music reproduction
- magnetic flux density of 1.5 Teslas
- Fazor™ driver technology offers improved phase response, three-dimensional imaging, and extended frequency response
- open-back design offers spacious sound
- thickly cushioned leather earpads
- flexible carbon fiber headband with split-band suspension system for easy fit and comfort
- premium braided four-conductor cable with a 1/4" plug
- professional travel case with an ultra-durable, waterproof polypropylene shell and padded interior
- driver size: 106mm
- frequency response: 5-20,000 Hz; usable high-frequency extension to 50,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 105 dB
- impedance: 20 ohms
- weight: 20.1 ounces
- warranty: 3 years (planar drivers), 1 year (earpads, enclosure, headband, and cable)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 819343011334
What's in the box:
- Over-ear headphones
- 88" Braided audio cable (straight 1/4" plug)
- Hard storage case
- User Manual (on USB drive)
- Certificate of Authenticity card
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Audeze LCD-MX4
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||4.374" x 4.487"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||10-50k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year (3 Yrs drivers)|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year (3 Yrs drivers)|
Overview: The Audeze LCD-MX4 over-ear headphones feature high-performance planar magnetic drivers that provide a spacious, musical sound with better dynamics and a wide frequency response. The headphones feature luxurious premium leather-covered ear pads and headband strap. Its lightweight magnesium housing and carbon-fiber headband prevent fatigue during long listening or mixing sessions. The LCD-MX4s come with a braided cable and a hard-shell hinged storage case.
Planar Magnetic Technology: The LCD-MX4s are acoustically engineered to deliver beautiful, natural sound. The 106mm (4.17") diameter Uniforce diaphragms are four times larger than the drivers in a typical headphone, and are thinner than a human hair. These ultra-light diaphragms deliver an amazingly fast response for near zero distortion, higher resolution, and lifelike imaging. The Double Fluxor magnetic arrays nearly double the driving force (1.5 Tesla of magnetic flux) across the diaphragm to give you superb accuracy without distortion. The internal sound waves are guided by patented Fazor Elements which eliminate resonance and produce a more accurate waveform. The LCD-MX4 headphones are sensitive enough to be driven directly by smartphones or tablets, however, for best performance, a high-quality external headphone amplifier or integrated amp is recommended.
Open Design: The LCD-MX4 features an open-back design to let you stay in touch with your surroundings. The headphones are engineered and handcrafted in the USA (Southern California) with closely matched planar transducers for consistent sound.
Cable: The headphones come with an 88" braided cable with a straight 1/4" plug. The cable attaches to the headphones by dual 4-pin mini-XLRs.
- Frequency Response: 10Hz to 50kHz
- Transducer Size: 106mm
- Impedance: 20 ohms
- Sensitivity: 105dB /1mW (at drum reference point)
- THD: <0.1% at 100dB
- Maximum Power Handling: 5W RMS
- Minimum Power Requirement: >100mW
- Recommended Power Level: >250mW
- Maximum SPL: >130dB
- Ear Cup Dimensions: Width 4.374" Height 4.487" Depth 2.209"
- Weight: 20 ounces (22.8 oz w/cable)
1 question already asked