About the Audeze Penrose
Next-level sound for games, movies, and more
The Audeze Penrose wireless headset delivers spacious, detailed sound worthy of today's blockbuster game titles.
Next-level sound for games, movies, and more
Today's next-gen video game systems deserve a substantial gaming headset with serious audio chops. The well-built Audeze Penrose wireless headphones offer several ways to connect to the Sony PlayStation 5. And their sophisticated planar-magnetic drivers deliver spacious, lifelike sound with depth and texture.
Connecting to an Xbox®? The Audeze Penrose X headset is designed for Xbox Series X, Xbox One, and Windows PC.
Wireless or wired connection to your Playstation or Mac
The Penrose includes a wireless transmitter that connects to a USB port on your PS5, PS4, PC, or Mac. It sends low-latency audio signals to the headset to keep your picture and sound well-synced. Bluetooth 5.0 is also on board for playing audio wirelessly from your computer or phone. You can connect to both the wireless transmitter and another device via Bluetooth simulataneously — more on that when I explain the Audeze HQ app later.
You can also make a wired connection with the included 3.5mm stereo mini cable. So it will connect to the old-fashioned headphone jack at the bottom of your Xbox controller (and some third-party Nintendo Switch controllers).
The wireless USB-A transmitter connects to your Playstation or Mac computer and sends audio wirelessly to the headset.
The planar-magnetic difference
The Penrose features the same planar-magnetic drivers found inside Audeze's game-changing Mobius headset. Those headphones were packed with cutting-edge technology, but I always considered the planar drivers their "killer feature." They use a super-strong magnet and large, yet thin diaphram to deliver clear, powerful sound with a real sense of space.
So you can expect thumping bass and hard-hitting special effects from the Penrose. But they also help you better pick up on directional cues and location-based sounds that help with competitive gaming. The planar-magnetic drivers give you even, controlled sound that never gets too grating or fatiguing when you play or listen for long periods of time. And the design is lightweight by Audeze's standards, too — also helpful for those marathon sessions.
Audeze HQ app offers extra control
Download the Audeze HQ app to unlock some personalized sound features. It's available now for Windows PC, and Audeze says a mobile version is on the way for Apple® and Android™. It allows you to personalize the sound to your liking using a 10-band EQ. You can create and store two presets using the app, which saves them to the chip inside the headset.
That means even if you're on the PlayStation — or another device that doesn't have the app — you can still quickly choose a sound preset by tapping a button on the earcup. You can also still use the app to adjust the sound from your PS5 or PS4 game.
- over-ear, closed-back design provides noise isolation
- planar-magnetic drivers offer detailed sound and enhanced dynamics for video games, movies, and music
- detachable broadcast-quality Shure boom microphone
- built-in filter for noise reduction of 20 dB
Connections and cables:
- USB-A transmitter sends audio wirelessly to headset
- uses 2.4 GHz wireless signal for low-latency sync between audio and video
- transmitter connects to Sony PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, or Mac
- Audeze Penrose X headset also available for Xbox Series X, Xbox One, or Windows PC
- Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless video game, movie, and music listening
- can be used simultaneously with wireless transmitter with same or separate device
- detachable 3.5mm cable
- can connect to PlayStation controller
- driver size: 100mm
- Fazor™ driver technology offers improved phase response, three-dimensional imaging, and extended frequency response
- ultra-thin Uniforce™ diaphragm starts, moves, and stops swiftly within a powerful magnetic field
- powerful Fluxor™ magnet array increases efficiency
- keeps headphones smaller and lighter than typical planar magnetic over-ears
Build and controls:
- durable rubberized earcups and strong, flexible headband
- earpads sculpted for ergonomic fit and long-lasting comfort
- on-ear controls for music, calls, and sound presets
- overall volume control and mic volume control
Audeze HQ app:
- available for Windows PC, mobile app coming soon for Apple® and Android™
- headset must be connected to device via Bluetooth or charging USB-C cable (included)
- manually dial in audio profile with 10-band EQ
- create and save up to two audio presets
- presets can be accessed directly from headset during console play
- fine-tune microphone settings
General info and specs:
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 15 hours of wireless listening
- USB-C to USB-A cable included for charging headset
- frequency response: 10-50,000 Hz
- weight: 11.3 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 205-PS-1121-01
What's in the box:
- Over-ear gaming headphones
- Boom microphone with foam windscreen
- USB dongle
- 61" USB cable (USB-C plugs on both ends)
- 61" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- 48" Audio cable (3.5mm plugs on both ends)
- Quick Reference card
Audeze Penrose reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Audeze Penrose
Overview: The Audeze Penrose over-ear wireless gaming headphones are designed to give you an immersive gaming experience. They are also excellent for listening to music or movies on your portable devices. You can use the headphones with a wired (via the included 3.5mm cable) or wireless (via 2.4GHz wireless or Bluetooth) connection. The Penrose headphones uses the same planar magnetic transducers as Audeze's Mobius gaming headphones. The memory foam ear pads and headband are covered with artificial leather, and make the headphones extremely comfortable for hours of use. The headphones come with a detachable microphone, a USB wireless dongle, 2 USB charging cables, and an auxiliary audio cable. An optional hard shell storage case is available.
Note: The Penrose gaming headphones (this model) are compatible with Sony PlayStation 4 and 5 gaming consoles, plus Windows and Macintosh systems. The Penrose X gaming headphones work with Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and Windows.
Dual Wireless Connections: The Penrose headphones features a Dual Wireless connection. You can connect wirelessly via a lossless, low-latency 2.4 GHz wireless connection using the included USB dongle or via Bluetooth. The headphones do not support 5 GHz wireless connection. The wireless adapter establishes a high-bandwidth, fully lossless, 16-bit/48kHz connection with an extremely low latency of about 16ms. Penrose is compatible with Bluetooth 5.0, however, the audio quality may not be as good as the 2.4 GHz wireless connection, and there may be some latency issues over Bluetooth.
Controls: The on-board controls are located on the left ear cup. On the outside of the ear cup are the Power and Mic Mute buttons. The Power button is also used for pairing the headphones to your Bluetooth device, as well as music playback (play/pause) and phone call control (answer/end/reject calls). On the bottom of the ear cup are separate rotary volume controls for the headphones and the microphone, so you can balance your voice commands with the rest of the soundtrack. Pressing the microphone volume control allows you to vary the Game/Chat mix. The Multi-Function button lets you pair with the 2.4 GHz wireless dongle (long press), and cycle through the available sources: 2.4 GHz wireless, Aux, or Bluetooth (short presses).
Connections: The Audeze Penrose connections are all on the left ear cup. A recessed 3.5mm input is provided for the included microphone. The input's collar is shaped to match the mic's plug, so that the microphone is properly aligned with your mouth. There is also a 3.5mm output for the included Auxiliary audio cable. The USB Type C port is solely for charging the battery. The headphones include a USB-C to USB-A cable, and a USB-C to USB-C cable.
Battery Power: Penrose is powered by a built-in Lithium-Polymer rechargeable battery. The headphone can be charged via USB in approximately 3 hours. It is recommended that you charge the headphones using a 5V-1A USB charger. A fully-charged battery provides about 15 hours of battery life.
Audeze HQ Application: You can unlock the potential of your Penrose headphones with the Audeze HQ application. With the app, you can customize your sound experience with a 10-band equalizer (with 5 presets) and Sidetone controls. You can also update the firmware of the Penrose headphones through the app. The app is available for iOS (9.3 or later), and Android (6.0 and up). The Audeze HQ app is also available for Windows. Penrose compatibility for Mac is coming soon.
Planar Magnetic Technology: The Penrose gaming headphones are equipped with 100mm (4") diameter drivers with ultra-thin Uniforce diaphragms to deliver an amazingly fast response with near zero distortion, higher resolution, and lifelike imaging. The headphones are ultra efficient, with a maximum SPL of over 120dB.
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 50 kHz
- Transducer Size: 100mm
- Maximum SPL: >120dB
- THD (1 kHz, 1 mW): < 0.1%
- Ear Cup Dimensions:
- External: Width 3.389" Height 4.002" Depth 2.369"
- Internal: Width 1.794" Height 2.493" Depth 0.875"
- Weight: 12.7 ounces (w/o microphone)