About the Monitor Audio Apex A10
Powerful, flexible performance
Powerful, flexible performance
I have to tip my hat to Monitor Audio for the Apex A10. They've managed to create a speaker that's stylish, compact, super-versatile, and — most importantly — able to produce the ultra-smooth, ultra-revealing sound that the British hi-fi company is legendary for.
Place the Apex A10 on a tabletop or speaker stand, or mount it to the wall with the included bracket. It's a knockout choice for an upscale stereo or home theater system where space is at a premium.
The included pivoting wall bracket allows the Apex A10 to deliver outstanding sound without taking up any shelf or table space.
Trickle-down driver technology
One reason the Apex A10 sounds so good is that it incorporates several design characteristics from Monitor's higher-end speakers.
For instance, the 5-1/2" C-CAM® woofer is a modified version of those used in the company's Silver Series, delivering textured midrange and tight, punchy bass.
The Apex A10 also uses a newly designed version of Monitor's signature 1" gold dome tweeter, creating natural, open, and super-transparent highs.
Great for movies and music
I recommend using a pair of the Apex A10 as the front or rear channels of a space-saving surround sound system.
Since it's sold individually, you can also purchase one for use as a center channel without being stuck with an extra speaker — a problem encountered when shopping for speakers that are sold only in pairs.
Team up a pair of the Apex A10 with a powered subwoofer for a terrific 2.1-channel music system.
Most speakers don't include any. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for smooth, extended highs
- 5-1/2" C-CAM woofer with RST (Rigid Surface Technology)
- RST enhances stiffness and reduces mass for increased quickness and accuracy
- frequency response: 60-35,000 Hz
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 25-100 watts
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity
- bass-reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for minimal turbulence and high-velocity airflow
- binding posts accept pins, banana connectors, spade connectors, or bare wire
- beautiful metallic black high-gloss finish
- wall-mountable with included pivoting wall bracket
- designed for use with optional Monitor Audio Apex Stand
- 5-7/8"W x 11-1/16"H x 7-7/16"D
- weight: 8.75 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AX10B
What's in the box:
- Satellite loudspeaker
- Two-piece pivoting bracket (pre-installed)
- 2 Rubber pads
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- 2 Long screws
- 2 Short screws
- Set Up Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Important Information
- Mounting Template
More details on the Monitor Audio Apex A10
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.5|
|Woofer Composition||C-CAM RST|
|Frequency Response||60-35k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used for both the tweeter and woofer drivers, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum. Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacturing, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy driver is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional drivers are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM drivers have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
- 1" Gold C-CAM Tweeter: The custom-designed 1" C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeter extends the satellite loudspeaker's frequency response to an ultra-sonic 35kHz, allowing the full reproduction of harmonic frequencies vital to the accurate reproduction of high-resolution audio. Within the new C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeter is an innovative venting system that allows air to flow outside the tweeter's magnet assembly into a rear loading chamber, preventing air from being compressed at the back of the dome for lower distortion, reduced mechanical resonance, and improved damping. Structural improvements in dome geometry and drive mechanism have boosted accuracy and extension at the top end of the tweeter's range as well, generating the extraordinary high frequency quality that helps to define the sound of the Apex 10 loudspeaker.
- 5.5" C-CAM RST Woofer: The newly designed 5.5" C-CAM woofer incorporates high performance RST (Rigid Surface Technology) dimpled cone geometry. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface. The C-CAM RST woofer is suspended on a rigid die-cast aluminum chassis and driven by an over-sized motor system featuring a high power voice coil and vented cooling system.
Rigid Die-Cast Alloy Cabinet: The Monitor Audio Apex satellite loudspeaker features a rigid, die-cast alloy cabinet that is rounded and coated in several layers of high-gloss piano lacquer (available in black or white). The sophisticated looking die-cast alloy cabinet is complemented by a stylish magnetic cloth grille with no visible fixings.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The loudspeaker's drivers are individually mounted on a through-bolt which fixes at the back of the cabinet and tensions the driver at the front. Cleverly this triple-action feature braces the cabinet structure for lower box coloration while removing the need for conventional front fixings, reducing unwanted driver/cabinet resonance and simultaneously boosting aesthetics.
- HiVe II Port Technology: The rigid, die-cast alloy cabinet features a front-firing port that incorporates Monitor Audio's HiVe II port technology for greater efficiency and bigger bass response from a compact satellite loudspeaker. The HiVe II bass reflex port is uniquely shaped and grooved to accelerate the flow of air and reduce air turbulence, so air moves in and out of the port more efficiently for a faster more dynamic bass response.
Binding Post Terminals: The satellite loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of binding posts that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade-lugs, & banana plugs (single only). Pre-installed plastic inserts must be removed to utilize banana plugs (single or dual).
Mounting Options: The Monitor Audio Apex 10 satellite loudspeaker includes a pedestal base which can also act as a mounting bracket. The pedestal base can be used to position the speaker vertically on a flat tabletop surface. The mounting bracket can be used to secure the speaker to a wall or ceiling. The base/bracket system allows the speaker to pivot up/down and left/right, so it can be pointed at the listening area for better imaging. The base/bracket system is made of heavy-duty aluminum and zinc alloy for great stability. The pedestal base/mounting bracket assembly can even be removed to allow the Apex 10 to be tabletop mounted horizontally and used as a center channel speaker (self-adhesive rubber feet are included for this application). Optional speaker stands are also available (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- Tabletop Dimensions: 5.875" (w) x 11.0625" (h) x 7.4375" (d)
- Wall-Mount Dimensions: 5.875" (w) x 9.9375" (h) x 8.1875" (d)
- Ceiling-Mount Dimensions: 5.875" (w) x 11.0625" (h) x 7.4375" (d)
- Center-Channel Dimensions: 9.9375" (w) x 6.0625" (h) x 6.5625" (d)
Note: The Apex 10 should always be used with the included base/bracket installed or the optional speaker stand. The speaker's rounded cabinet does not provide enough stability to be utilized alone without either the base/bracket or optional speaker stand installed.
Application & Placement: The Monitor Audio Apex 10 satellite loudspeaker can be used in a two-channel stereo or multichannel home theater setup, and is capable of producing beautiful, high-performance sound for movie and music soundtracks. The Apex 10 can be utilized as a Front, Center, or Surround speaker in a home theater application.
- Front Speaker Setup: When placing a pair of satellite speakers around your TV, the left and right speakers ideally need to be between 22 and 30 degrees to the left and right of the listening position, with the tweeters at approximate ear level, or at least aimed towards the listening position.
- Center Speaker Setup: The tweeter of the center channel should be pointed towards the listener's ears to help direct the sound and should be the first speaker you position in your home theater room. The center channel can be placed either above or below, and as close to your TV screen as possible. If positioned in/on a cabinet or sitting on top of the TV itself, ensure that the front edge of the speaker is aligned with the front edge of the TV or shelf. Where possible, the height of the center channel's tweeter from the floor, should be close to the height of your front speakers' tweeter as possible ( within about 2.375").
- Surround Speaker Setup: Ideally, the primary pair of surround speakers should be placed to the left and right of the listening position (either in line with it, or just behind it 90 to 110-degrees). If it is a 6.1 or 7.1 channel system with more than two surround speakers, or if side placement isn't available in a 5.1 channel system, consider placement behind your listening position, facing the front of the room at 135 to 150-degrees. Surround speakers should be placed high enough so that the drivers do not fire directly at the listening position (one rule of thumb is to place them at ear level while standing). If the surround speakers fire directly at the listening position, they can overpower your front speakers.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add Monitor Audio's Apex AW12 powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to the Apex 10 satellite loudspeaker for fuller, deeper, and bigger bass response.