About the Monitor Audio Apex A40
A space-saving speaker with excellent sound
A space-saving speaker with excellent sound
In my book, Monitor Audio's Apex A40 center channel does a wonderful job at three things. First, its narrow, elongated design allows it to fit height-wise within most A/V cabinets or shelves. It also has a sleek, modern look that adds charm to your décor.
Most importantly, this speaker produces the kind of ultra-smooth, ultra-revealing sound that the British hi-fi company is legendary for. Use the Apex A40 alongside Apex A10 bookshelf speakers and a powered subwoofer for a space-saving home theater that you'll love hearing and seeing.
Use the Apex A40 as part of a space-saving Monitor Audio home theater system.
Trickle-down driver technology
One reason the Apex A40 sounds so good is that it incorporates several design characteristics from Monitor's higher-end speakers.
For instance, the 5-1/2" C-CAM® woofers are modified versions of those used in the company's Silver Series, delivering textured midrange and tight, punchy bass.
The Apex A40 also uses a newly designed version of Monitor's signature 1" gold dome tweeter, creating natural, open, and super-transparent highs.
Use it for other channels in your home theater, too
The Apex A40 can be used "free-standing" on a shelf or cabinet. Or if you'd prefer, you can mount it to the wall with the included bracket.
Most folks place it horizontally to use it as a center channel. But the Apex A40 can also be installed vertically as a left- or right-channel speaker in the front or back of your room as well.
I'd be tempted to use a pair of these as fantastic surround-channel speakers that don't take up a lot of space.
The Apex A40 doesn't include any speaker wire. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire to find the right option for your system.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- multi-purpose design for use as a left-, right, or center-channel speaker
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for smooth, extended highs
- dual 5-1/2" C-CAM woofers with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology)
- RST enhances stiffness and reduces mass for increased quickness and accuracy
- frequency response: 50-35,000 Hz
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 50-200 watts
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity
- bass-reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for minimal turbulence and high-velocity airflow
- binding posts accept pins, banana connectors, spade connectors, or bare wire
- beautiful metallic high-gloss finish
- wall-mountable with included adjustable wall bracket
- 24"W x 5-1/2"H x 3-15/16"D
- weight: 15.2 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AX40B
What's in the box:
- LCR loudspeaker
- Bracket (pre-installed)
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- 2 Rubber inserts
- Set Up Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Important Information
- Mounting Template
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio Apex A40
Features & specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/2|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Frequency Response||50-35k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used for both the tweeter and woofer drivers, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum. Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacturing, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy driver is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional drivers are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM drivers have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
- 1" Gold C-CAM Tweeter: The custom-designed 1" C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeter extends the loudspeaker's frequency response to an ultra-sonic 35kHz, allowing the full reproduction of harmonic frequencies vital to the accurate reproduction of high-resolution audio. Within the new C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeter is an innovative venting system that allows air to flow outside the tweeter's magnet assembly into a rear loading chamber, preventing air from being compressed at the back of the dome for lower distortion, reduced mechanical resonance, and improved damping. Structural improvements in dome geometry and drive mechanism have boosted accuracy and extension at the top end of the tweeter's range as well, generating the extraordinary high frequency quality that helps to define the sound of the Apex 40 loudspeaker.
- Dual 5.5" C-CAM RST Woofers: The newly designed 5.5" C-CAM woofers incorporate high performance RST (Rigid Surface Technology) dimpled cone geometry. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface. The C-CAM RST woofer is suspended on a rigid die-cast aluminum chassis and driven by an over-sized motor system featuring a high power voice coil and vented cooling system.
Rigid Die-Cast Alloy Cabinet: The Monitor Audio Apex 40 loudspeaker features a rigid, die-cast alloy cabinet that is rounded and coated in several layers of high-gloss piano lacquer (available in black or white). The sophisticated looking die-cast alloy cabinet is complemented by a stylish magnetic cloth grille with no visible fixings.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The loudspeaker's drivers are individually mounted on a through-bolt which fixes at the back of the cabinet and tensions the driver at the front. Cleverly this triple-action feature braces the cabinet structure for lower box coloration while removing the need for conventional front fixings, reducing unwanted driver/cabinet resonance and simultaneously boosting aesthetics.
- HiVe II Port Technology: The rigid, die-cast alloy cabinet features two front-firing ports that incorporate Monitor Audio's HiVe II port technology for greater efficiency and bigger bass response from a compact loudspeaker. The HiVe II bass reflex ports are uniquely shaped and grooved to accelerate the flow of air and reduce air turbulence, so air moves in and out of the ports more efficiently for a faster more dynamic bass response.
Binding Post Terminals: The Apex 40 loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of binding posts that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade-lugs, & banana plugs (single or dual). Pre-installed plastic inserts must be removed to utilize banana plugs.
Mounting Options: The Monitor Audio Apex 40 can be mounted horizontally or vertically and supports tabletop and wall-mounting.
- Horizontal Tabletop or Wall-Mount: As a center channel loudspeaker, the Monitor Audio Apex 40 can be placed horizontally on a flat tabletop surface or mounted horizontally on a wall using the included bracket. The wall bracket allows you angle the Apex 40 speaker up or down for better imaging. The included self-adhesive rubber feet for horizontal tabletop mounting add 0.3125" to the overall height of the speaker.
- Vertical Wall-Mount: As a front or surround speaker, the Apex 40 can be mounted vertically on the wall using the included bracket. When vertically wall-mounted, the bracket allows you to swivel the speaker left or right for better imaging.
- Table-top or stand mounting is not an option when positioning the Apex 40 vertically and using it as a front or surround speaker.
- Screws to anchor the wall bracket are not included and can be found at most local hardware stores.
Application & Placement: The Monitor Audio Apex 40 loudspeaker can be used in a two-channel stereo or multichannel home theater setup, and is capable of producing beautiful, high-performance sound for movie and music soundtracks. The Apex 40 can be utilized as a Front, Center, or Surround speaker in a home theater application.
- Front Speaker Setup: When placing a pair of Apex 40 speakers around your TV, the left and right speakers ideally need to be between 22 and 30 degrees to the left and right of the listening position, with the tweeters at approximate ear level, or at least aimed towards the listening position.
- Center Speaker Setup: The tweeter of the center channel should be pointed towards the listener's ears to help direct the sound and should be the first speaker you position in your home theater room. The center channel can be placed either above or below, and as close to your TV screen as possible. If positioned in/on a cabinet or sitting on top of the TV itself, ensure that the front edge of the speaker is aligned with the front edge of the TV or shelf. Where possible, the height of the center channel's tweeter from the floor, should be close to the height of your front speakers' tweeter as possible (within about 2.375").
- Surround Speaker Setup: Ideally, the primary pair of surround speakers should be placed to the left and right of the listening position (either in line with it, or just behind it 90 to 110-degrees). If it is a 6.1 or 7.1 channel system with more than two surround speakers, or if side placement isn't available in a 5.1 channel system, consider placement behind your listening position, facing the front of the room at 135 to 150-degrees. Surround speakers should be placed high enough so that the drivers do not fire directly at the listening position (one rule of thumb is to place them at ear level while standing). If the surround speakers fire directly at the listening position, they can overpower your front speakers.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add Monitor Audio's Apex AW12 powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to the Apex 40 loudspeaker for fuller, deeper, and bigger bass response.