Monitor Audio C280-IDC
3-way in-ceiling speaker
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Monitor Audio C280-IDC by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Full-range overhead sound from Monitor
Want truly outstanding performance from your new in-ceiling music or home theater system? Then I recommend checking out Monitor Audio's C280-IDC in-ceiling speaker. This high-quality, three-way model offers some of Monitor's best speaker technology, including the company's pivoting IDC® (Inverted Dual Concentric) midrange/tweeter module to direct sound toward you.
Monitor Audio's C280-IDC offers a pivoting midrange/tweeter module to direct sound toward you.
Signature sound from Monitor's gold dome tweeter
The C280-IDC uses Monitor's signature 1" C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) gold dome tweeter for clear, detailed highs and realistic reproduction of instruments, vocals, and dialogue. It's the same tweeter found in many of Monitor's highly acclaimed bookshelf and floor-standing speakers.
A tweeter level control switch on the front baffle lets you boost or cut high frequencies to best suit your room's acoustics — a feature typically reserved for more expensive models.
Solid midrange and bass
This speaker uses a 4" C-CAM inverted midrange and an 8" C-CAM woofer for textured, accurate midrange and punchy bass. An advanced crossover network helps ensure smooth, full-range sound throughout the speaker's frequency range. And a built-in boundary compensation switch adjusts low-frequency output when the speaker is placed near a corner.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- 3-way design
- ideal for an in-ceiling music system or overhead effects channel in a home theater system
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) driver material used to provide high efficiency and low distortion
- 8" C-CAM woofer
- boundary compensation switch adjusts low-frequency output when the speaker is placed near a corner
- 4" C-CAM inverted midrange driver
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- pivoting IDC® (Inverted Dual Concentric) midrange/tweeter module for directing sound toward listening area
- frequency response: 50-30,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable magnetic grille
- cutout diameter: 9-3/4"
- overall diameter: 11-1/4"
- mounting depth: 6-1/8"
- weight: 7.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-ceiling speaker
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Cutout Template
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
3-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio C280-IDC in-ceiling loudspeaker features an 8" C-CAM bass driver and a pivoting IDC module, housing a 4" C-CAM RST inverted midrange driver and a 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter. This true 3-way design provide rich midrange detail, higher system output, greater power handling, and superior vocal intelligibility and sound localization.
IDC Module: The Monitor Audio C280-IDC in-ceiling speaker employs a unique pivoting Inverted Dual Concentric (IDC) midrange/tweeter module which allows you to angle the midrange and tweeter up/down or left/right. This allows for the in-ceiling speaker to be discreetly positioned and the sound to be directed toward the listening zone by pivoting the IDC driver module to maximize performance. With the IDC module installed, the in-ceiling speaker becomes a true 3-way design, offering superior performance and flexibility over typical 2-way or fixed angle speakers. Within the proprietary IDC module an inverted 4" midrange driver provides superior dispersion while enabling the midrange cone and tweeter dome assembly to be set as far forward as possible, allowing the clear acoustics of the desired listening zone and reducing undesirable diffraction effects. It's impossible to avoid diffraction effects from conventional two-way designs, which locate the bass driver 3" to 6" behind the speaker grille.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM drivers are used throughout the C280-IDC in-ceiling loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Midrange and Bass Driver: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The C280-IDC in-ceiling speaker's inverted midrange driver combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), these midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
High Frequency Level Control: A HF (High Frequency) level adjustment also aids in high frequency performance. With the High Frequency Level Control set to "0", the in-ceiling speaker will give you a neutral sound. Switching to the "+3db" setting will give the high frequencies a boost, giving you more clarity and presence in the treble. If you want more prominence in the bass frequencies, switch to the "-3db" setting. The HF level adjustment switch is located on front of the baffle behind the grille.
Boundary Compensation Control: The Boundary Compensation control reduces the speaker's bass output level to compensate for the greater reflection of bass energy when the speaker is placed near a wall. It can be set to "On" or "Off". The Boundary Compensation control is located on the front baffle and hidden behind the grille.
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio C280-IDC is outfitted with two gold-plated spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (sing/dual), and angled pin-connectors.
"Trimless" Magnetic Grille: The C280-IDC in-ceiling speaker features a steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true "trimless", stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes and provides 3x the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
- Cutout Size: 9.75" (diameter)
- Mounting Depth: 6.125"
- Ceiling Thickness: 0.125" to 1.625"
Protective Covers: The Monitor Audio C280-IDC features a dust protection cover that is designed to prevent the ingress of dirt or dust into the driver and crossover.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Because it is a 3-way in ceiling speaker [ E Jan 13, 2018 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get even better sound from an improved woofer and higher power handling
The Monitor Audio C380-IDC offers these features:
8" C-CAM RST (Rigid Surface Technology) woofer for deep, accurate bass
frequency response: 45-30,000 Hz
recommended amplifier power: 40-150 watts