Monitor Audio C380-FX
In-ceiling bipole/dipole surround sound speaker
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Monitor Audio C380-FX by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Dynamic in-ceiling surround sound
Want stealthy-but-powerful surround sound effects from your Monitor Audio home theater? Then consider a C380-FX for each of your surround channels — it offers high-end performance along with the open, natural sound that Monitor Audio is known for.
Monitor Audio's stealthy C380-FX uses angled tweeters and two different listening modes to deliver immersive surround sound effects.
Bipole/dipole design adds versatility and realism
The C380-FX uses two angled tweeters and a dipole/bipole switch to give you the best performance for your particular system. Install a pair in the ceiling behind your listening position, and set each speaker to bipole mode so that the tweeters and woofer fire at the same time. This is known as being "in phase."
You can also install the speakers to the sides of your listening position. If that's the case, switch to dipole mode so the tweeters fire at opposite times ("out of phase") to create a more diffuse soundfield.
Both modes provide rich, lifelike surround sound that will brings movie and video game soundtracks alive with detail.
Signature sound from Monitor's gold dome tweeter
The C380-FX uses two of Monitor's signature 1" C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) gold dome tweeters for clear, detailed highs and realistic reproduction of instruments, vocals, and dialogue. They're the same tweeter found in many of Monitor's highly acclaimed bookshelf and floor-standing speakers.
A tweeter level control switch on the front baffle lets you boost or cut high frequencies to best suit your room's acoustics — a feature typically reserved for more expensive models.
Solid midrange and bass
This speaker uses a 8" C-CAM woofer for textured, accurate midrange and punchy bass. An advanced crossover network helps ensure smooth, full-range sound throughout the speaker's frequency range. And a built-in boundary compensation switch adjusts low-frequency output when the speaker is placed near a corner.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- ideal for an overhead surround effects channel in a home theater system
- dipole/bipole switch offers easy toggling between surround modes
- dipole: gives you diffuse sound, ideal for when the speaker is placed to the side of the listening area
- bipole: more direct sound, better for when the speaker is placed behind the listening area
- dual 1" gold dome C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) tweeters for detailed sound
- tweeters fire sound in different directions for wraparound sound effects
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- 8" C-CAM woofer for smooth midrange and tight bass response
- unobtrusive frame and low-profile grille for discreet installation
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- frequency response: 45-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable removable magnetic steel grille
- cutout diameter: 9-3/4"
- overall diameter: 11-1/4"
- mounting depth: 6-1/8"
- weight: 7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-ceiling speaker
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Cutout Template
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Composition||C-CAM RST|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
Dual 1" C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeters: The two 1" gold dome tweeters are formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. The new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
8" C-CAM RST Cone Woofer: The 8" bass driver combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone.
- C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium): Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacturing, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
- The Rigid Surface Technology (RST): The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), these midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Dipole or Bipole Modes: The Monitor Audio C380-FX in-ceiling speaker features surround mode selection of dipole (diffuse sound) or bipole (direct sound) operation for super-discreet home theater sound. A switch on the front baffle behind the grille is provided to select between bipole or dipole operation, dependant on system installation. This enhances the whole movie experience when used in a 5.1 or 7.1 channel system.
High Frequency Level Control: A HF (High Frequency) level adjustment aids in high frequency performance. With the High Frequency Level Control set to "0", the in-ceiling speaker will give you a neutral sound. Switching to the "+3db" setting will give the high frequencies a boost, giving you more clarity and presence in the treble. If you want more prominence in the bass frequencies, switch to the "-3db" setting. The HF level adjustment switch is located on front of the baffle behind the grille.
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio C380-FX is outfitted with two gold-plated spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (sing/dual), and angled pin-connectors.
"Trimless" Magnetic Grille: The C380-FX in-ceiling speaker features a steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true "trimless", stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes and provides 3x the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
- Cutout Size: 9.75" (diameter)
- Mounting Depth: 6.25"
- Ceiling Thickness: 0.25" to 2.5"
Protective Covers: The Monitor Audio 380-FX features a dust protection cover that is designed to prevent the ingress of dirt or dust into the driver and crossover.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Monitor Audio C380-FX
In-ceiling bipole/dipole surround sound speaker$599.99 each
Polk Audio RC80i
Monitor Audio C265-FX
In-ceiling bipole/dipole surround sound speaker$374.99 each
Polk Audio CSW100
Passive in-floor/in-ceiling subwoofer