About the Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC
Top-shelf performance from a hideaway in-ceiling speaker
Top-shelf performance from a hideaway in-ceiling speaker
We've carried our share of in-ceiling speakers here at Crutchfield, so it's no small statement to say that this is one of the most advanced ones we've ever seen. The CP-CT380IDC is the flagship model in Monitor Audio's "Controlled Performance" in-ceiling speaker lineup. One of its most interesting, differentiating features is its built-in back-box: a compact enclosure that hides out of sight behind the speaker and helps it deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound. With normal open-back in-ceiling speakers, the space that's behind them can affect their tonal characteristics, and not always in a good way. By taking the guesswork out of the equation, Monitor Audio ensures that when you install a Controlled Performance speaker in your ceiling, you'll want to keep it there.
An aimable midrange/tweeter combo
The tweeter/midrange module pivots for aiming toward your favorite listening spot.
Another standout feature that separates this speaker from the pack is its pivoting midrange/tweeter module. Lots of in-ceiling speakers have aimable tweeters, so you can direct the high frequencies toward your favorite listening spot. The 'CT380IDC has a midrange and tweeter mounted concentrically on a pivoting module. That means you can also direct midrange frequencies along with the highs toward the desired location in your room, for better detail and spatial imaging.
Substantial bass from an 8" woofer
Solid, accurate bass comes courtesy of an 8" woofer — a pretty big driver to mount in one's ceiling. This woofer cone is made from a high-tech ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy. The goal, as with all woofer materials, is to make the cone as lightweight and rigid as possible so that it can respond to audio signals swiftly and precisely. Monitor Audio designed this woofer with a dimpled surface that makes it even stronger and lighter. This design, along with a die-cast aluminum front baffle, treats you to musical, well-defined bass.
- built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound in any installation and protects against dust and dirt
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) driver material for high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 4" C-CAM inverted midrange driver
- 8" C-CAM woofer with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- pivoting IDC® (Inverted Dual Concentric) midrange/tweeter module lets you direct the sound toward your desired listening area
- die-cast aluminum front baffle
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- frequency response: 50-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- high-frequency level adjustment switch (+3dB, 0dB, -3dB)
- mid-frequency level adjustment switch (+3dB, 0dB, -3dB)
- boundary compensation switch for optimum sound quality when placing speaker near a wall
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable bezel and removable magnetic steel grille
- overall diameter (including grille): 12-3/16"
- cutout diameter: 10-13/16"
- mounting depth: 7-1/8"
- weight: 9-1/2 lbs.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CP-CT380IDC
What's in the box:
- In-Ceiling speaker
- Magnetic grille
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Limited Warranty/Registration Card
Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
3-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC in-ceiling loudspeaker features an 8" C-CAM bass driver and a pivoting IDC module, housing a 4" C-CAM RST inverted midrange driver and a 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter. This true 3-way design provide rich midrange detail, higher system output, greater power handling, and superior vocal intelligibility and sound localization.
IDC Module: The Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC in-ceiling speaker employs a unique pivoting Inverted Dual Concentric (IDC) midrange/tweeter module offering up to 18 degrees of pivot. This allows for the in-ceiling speaker to be discreetly positioned and the sound to be directed toward the listening zone by pivoting the IDC driver module to maximize performance. With the IDC module installed, the Custom Install series in-ceiling speaker by Monitor Audio becomes a true 3-way design, offering superior performance and flexibility over typical 2-way or fixed angle speakers. Within the proprietary IDC module an inverted 4" midrange driver provides superior dispersion while enabling the midrange cone and tweeter dome assembly to be set as far forward as possible, allowing the clear acoustics of the desired listening zone and reducing undesirable diffraction effects. It's impossible to avoid diffraction effects from conventional two-way designs, which locate the bass driver 3" to 6" behind the speaker grille.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM drivers are used throughout the CP-CT380IDC in-ceiling loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Midrange and Bass Driver: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The CP-CT380IDC in-ceiling speaker's inverted midrange driver combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Sealed Design: The Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC's airtight enclosure design protects each precision-engineered driver system against the accumulation of damaging dirt and dust.
Controls: Optimum imaging and set-up are established via the high frequency level adjustment (+3/0/-3 dB), midrange frequency level adjustment ((+3/0/-3 dB), and boundary compensation controls (On/Off).
Trimless Grille: The CP-CT380IDC in-ceiling speaker features a "Trimless" steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true trimless, stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes but provides three times the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
Note: This Controlled Peformance series loudspeaker can only be fixed into drywall and suspended ceilings with a thickness of up to 1.75".
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC is fitted with two spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) and angled pin-connectors.
The Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC replaces these items
- 1" gold dome tweeter and 4" inverted midrange driver mounted on a pivoting, aimable module
- 8" woofer features Rigid Surface Technology to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for better bass definition and accuracy
- frequency response: 50-30,000 Hz
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked