About the Monitor Audio CP-CT380
Designed for big sound and consistent performance
Designed for big sound and consistent performance
Looking for a reliable in-ceiling speaker for your custom-installed home audio system? We can recommend Monitor Audio's Controlled Performance Series CP-CT380 as a safe bet. What makes it especially safe is its built-in back-box: a compact enclosure on the back side of the speaker that hides out of sight and helps it deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound. With normal open-back in-ceiling speakers, the space that's behind them can affect their tonal characteristics, and not always in a good way. By taking the guesswork out of the equation, Monitor Audio ensures that when you install a Controlled Performance speaker in your ceiling, you'll want to keep it there.
Aim the highs toward your favorite easy chair
The 2-way CP-CT380 features a 1" tweeter that dishes out clean, accurate highs. There's a lot of engineering in this little dome. It's made from a high-tech ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, then anodized with a layer of gold for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. The bottom line: it can respond to audio signals swiftly and precisely for extremely accurate performance. This tweeter also pivots, so you can aim it toward your preferred listening spot and enjoy more direct sound.
Substantial bass from an 8" woofer
Solid, accurate bass comes courtesy of a sizeable 8" woofer. Its cone is made from the same carefully engineered alloy material as the tweeter. And to further improve its accuracy, Monitor Audio designed it with a dimpled surface that makes it even stronger and lighter. This driver, along with a die-cast aluminum front baffle, treats you to musical, well-defined bass.
- built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound in any installation and protects against dust and dirt
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) driver material for high efficiency and low distortion
- pivoting 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 8" C-CAM woofer with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- die-cast aluminum front baffle
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- frequency response: 50-25,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- high-frequency level adjustment switch (+3dB, 0dB, -3dB)
- boundary compensation switch for optimum sound quality when placing speaker near a wall
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable bezel and removable magnetic steel grille
- overall diameter (including grille): 12-3/16"
- cutout diameter: 10-13/16"
- mounting depth: 7-1/8"
- weight: 8-1/4 lbs.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CPCT380
What's in the box:
- In-Ceiling speaker
- Magnetic grille
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Limited Warranty/Registration Card
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Monitor Audio CP-CT380 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio CP-CT380
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
Two-Way Speaker Design: Alongside a pivoting 1" C-CAM pivoting tweeter, the CP-CT380 in-ceiling speaker incorporates a powerful 8" C-CAM woofer featuring the Rigid Surface Technology (RST).
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM drivers are used throughout the CP-CT380 in-ceiling loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Woofer: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The CP-CT380 in-ceiling speaker combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Tweeter Control: The 1" C-CAM tweeter is able to pivot (+/-15°) to direct the sound to your desired listening area. A tweeter level adjustment (+3/0/-3 dB) and boundary compensation control (on/off) also aid in high frequency performance.
Sealed Design: The Monitor Audio CP-CT380's airtight enclosure design protects each precision-engineered driver system against the accumulation of damaging dirt and dust.
Trimless Grille: The CP-CT380 in-ceiling speaker features a "Trimless" steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true trimless, stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes but provides three times the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
Note: This Controlled Performance series loudspeaker can only be fixed into drywall and suspended ceilings with a thickness of up to 1.75".
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio CP-CT380 is fitted with two spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) and angled pin-connectors.