About the Monitor Audio CP-WT380IDC
Reference quality sound from an in-wall speaker
Reference quality sound from an in-wall speaker
One of the challenges that in-wall speaker designers face is that they don't know how much air space is inside your walls. Monitor Audio has the perfect solution. Their CP-WT380IDC has an airtight, built-in back-box that ensures fantastic performance. This carefully designed enclosure helps it deliver focused, well-balanced sound no matter what kind of space is behind it in your wall.
High-tech drivers for better sound
The CP-WT380IDC has a built-in, sealed back-box that ensures rich, balanced sound in any wall.
One of Monitor Audio's hallmark technologies is their C-CAM® driver material. It's a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. It's super-lightweight and strong, which allows the drivers to respond very quickly and precisely.
The CP-WT380IDC has three separate drivers, all made from C-CAM: a 1" dome tweeter, a 4" midrange, and a beefy 8" woofer.
Aim your sound for better results
Monitor Audio mounted the tweeter and midrange driver together on a pivoting module. This lets you aim the mids and highs toward you for better clarity, detail, and spatial imaging. The tweeter is treated with an anodized layer of gold for smooth, extended high-frequency response.
Monitor Audio's rotating-cam design makes your in-wall installation go smoother. Once you have the CP-WT380IDC in place, simply use a screwdriver to tighten each cam for a secure grip against the back of the wall.
If this is a do-it-yourself installation, check out our guide to installing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. Free lifetime technical support is provided with every Crutchfield purchase.
- high-performance in-wall speaker for music and movies
- built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound in any installation and protects against dust and dirt
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) driver material for high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 4" C-CAM inverted midrange driver
- 8" C-CAM woofer with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- pivoting IDC® (Inverted Dual Concentric) midrange/tweeter module lets you direct the sound toward your desired listening area
- die-cast aluminum front baffle
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- frequency response: 50-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- high-frequency level adjustment switch (+3dB, 0dB, -3dB)
- mid-frequency level adjustment switch (+3dB, 0dB, -3dB)
- boundary compensation switch for optimum sound quality when placing speaker near a wall
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable bezel and removable magnetic steel grille
- overall dimensions (including grille): 12"W x 18-5/8"H
- cutout dimensions: 10-9/16"W x 17-3/16"H
- mounting depth: 3-7/8"
- weight: 12.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CP-WT380IDC
What's in the box:
- In-Wall speaker
- Magnetic grille
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Limited Warranty/Registration Card
More details on the Monitor Audio CP-WT380IDC
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||10.5625 x 17.1875|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
3-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio CP-WT380IDC in-wall loudspeaker features an 8" C-CAM bass driver and a pivoting IDC module, housing a 4" C-CAM RST inverted midrange driver and a 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter. This true 3-way design provide rich midrange detail, higher system output, greater power handling, and superior vocal intelligibility and sound localization.
IDC Module: The Monitor Audio CP-WT380IDC in-wall speaker employs a unique pivoting Inverted Dual Concentric (IDC) midrange/tweeter module offering up to 18° of pivot. This allows for the in-wall speaker to be discreetly positioned and the sound to be directed toward the listening zone by pivoting the IDC driver module to maximize performance. With the IDC module installed, the Custom Install series in-wall speaker by Monitor Audio becomes a true 3-way design, offering superior performance and flexibility over typical 2-way or fixed angle speakers. Within the proprietary IDC module an inverted 4" midrange driver provides superior dispersion while enabling the midrange cone and tweeter dome assembly to be set as far forward as possible, allowing the clear acoustics of the desired listening zone and reducing undesirable diffraction effects. It's impossible to avoid diffraction effects from conventional two-way designs, which locate the bass driver 3" to 6" behind the speaker grille.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM drivers are used throughout the CP-WT380IDC in-wall loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Midrange and Bass Driver: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The CP-WT380IDC in-wall speaker's inverted midrange driver combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Sealed Design: The Monitor Audio CP-WT380IDC's airtight enclosure design protects each precision-engineered driver system against the accumulation of damaging dirt and dust.
Controls: Optimum imaging and set-up are established via the high frequency level adjustment (+3/0/-3 dB), midrange frequency level adjustment ((+3/0/-3 dB), and boundary compensation controls (On/Off).
Trimless Grille: The CP-WT380IDC in-wall speaker features a "Trimless" steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true trimless, stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes but provides three times the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
Note: This Controlled Peformance series loudspeaker can only be fixed into drywall with a thickness of up to 1.75".
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio CP-WT380IDC is fitted with two spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) and angled pin-connectors.
3 questions already asked