About the Monitor Audio CW8
Big on sound, small on space
Big on sound, small on space
Let's face it — not every room can accommodate a huge, hulking sub the way we might dream of. But don't fret! You can still get killer low-end from your stereo or home theater system with Monitor Audio's CW8.
This compact powered subwoofer serves up tight, accurate bass with music and movies. And at under one cubic foot in volume, it can fit virtually anywhere in your room.
The CW8 features four different sound presets that offer quick and simple bass adjustments for your system.
Moving some serious air
There are several reasons why the CW8 performs so well despite its small size. Housed inside its compact enclosure are three 8" cones that work in concert with each other. One is powered by a brawny 350-watt Class D amplifier. The other two are passive radiators which move in tandem with the powered driver.
Each cone is made from a lightweight, ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. This ultra-rigid material resists the bending and twisting that causes distortion while allowing the use of thinner, lighter, more responsive materials.
The result is tight, fast, and tuneful bass with exceptionally high output levels.
Put a stop to shaking, rattling, and rolling
Quick story: my living room has glass bookshelf and fireplace doors, along with tall windows that line three of its walls. All of these used to rattle like crazy when bass hit during movies. It drove me nuts!
One day I decided that I'd had enough. I bought an isolation platform to decouple my sub from the hardwood floor. Voila! Just like magic, the rattling and vibrations instantly disappeared. I even had to dial the sub back because the bass was suddenly stronger. It is without a doubt the best money I've ever spent on my system.
- lower frequency limit: 35 Hz (-6 dB)
- built-in Class D amplifier delivers 350 watts of continuous power
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material provides high efficiency and low distortion
- front-firing 8" C-CAM woofer
- dual side-firing 8" passive radiators reinforces bass response
- DSP (Digital Signal Processing) tailors performance to your taste in bass
- four rear-panel EQ modes (flat/music/movie/impact)
- optional SubConnect PC software allows for full feature adjustments, installer setup, and firmware updates via USB
- phase switch (0/180°)
- continuously variable low-pass 40-120 Hz crossover
- auto on/off
- XLR balanced LFE input
- stereo and LFE RCA line-level inputs
- 3.5mm 12-volt DC trigger input
- RS-232 input for use with third-party custom automation systems
- durable black vinyl finish
- 10-1/4"W x 10-5/8"H x 10-7/8"D (including feet)
- weight: 21 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CW8B
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- Grille (pre-installed)
- 4 Rubber feet (pre-installed)
- 6' AC power cord
- 10' Mono-minijack cable
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Card
- Safety Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio CW8
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-120|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||350|
|Frequency Response||35-135 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||5 Years|
C-CAM Woofer & Auxiliary Bass Radiators: The Monitor Audio CW8 powered subwoofer houses a front-firing 8" C-CAM woofer with high-excursion for deep, detailed bass. Twin side-mounted 8" C-CAM auxiliary bass radiators (ABRs) provide increased output and reduced distortion. This twin ABR design delivers higher output than an acoustic suspension (sealed) box and better control with no port noise compared to a bass reflex enclosure.
High-Power Class D Amplifier: The 8" C-CAM woofer is driven by a powerful, low-distortion Class-D Amplifier rated at 350 watts (RMS) for dynamic bass performance. The Class-D amplifier is DSP-controlled and features a switch mode power supply, designed to deliver high continuous output and instantaneous delivery of high current when required with low distortion.
Rigid MDF Cabinet: The Monitor Audio CW8 features a rigid 18mm MDF cabinet with a durable black vinyl finish. It also comes with a robust metal mesh grille to protect the front-firing woofer. There are no grilles for the side-firing ABRs. Pre-installed, adjustable rubber feet isolate the powered sub from the floor to prevent uwanted vibration.
DSP Controls: The Monitor Audio CW8 powered sub features DSP processing with all controls and adjustments performed in the digital domain for precision accuracy. The following controls are found on the rear-panel of the powered subwoofer.
- Level Control: The level control adjusts the subwoofer's volume relative to the rest of your home audio system. After the sub's level control has been set, the volume control of your AV receiver will be the volume control for both the Monitor Audio powered subwoofer and your connected loudspeakers.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The variable low-pass crossover is adjustable from 40-120Hz. The crossover point chosen determines where low bass frequencies are "handed-off" from your AV system's loudspeakers to the Monitor Audio powered subwoofer. Set the crossover point based on the size of your systems' main left/right speakers.
- Phase Switch: The Phase switch is used to acoustically match the subwoofer's output to your main speakers. Select the position either 0-degrees or 180-degress in which your subwoofer has more output at the main listening position.
- Bass EQ: The powered subwoofer offers Flat, Movie, Music, and Impact presets for easy EQ operation. The Flat setting provides a relatively flat response suited for both movies and music. The Movie mode provides the same flat response, but with greater sensitivity and extension for movie soundtracks. The Music preset provides maximum low frequency extension for musical instruments. Impact delivers maximum, explosive bass response.
SubConnect Application (Windows PC Only): The Monitor Audio SubConnect app is a Windows PC only (7-up; 32-/64-bit) application that enables full customization and control of the powered subwoofer's advanced features. The application is downloadable from the Monitor Audio website. There is a USB-B port on the back of the CW8 that will need to be connected to your compatible Windows PC (USB cable not included and sold separately).
- Input Signal: You can adjust the input signal Gain (master output level control), Trim (fine-tuned output level), and Phase (output delay) of the powered subwoofer to match output level of the rest of your speaker system.
- Low Pass Filter: The variable low-pass crossover is adjustable from 20Hz to 135Hz with a -12dB or -24dB slope for a smooth transition between the sound of the powered subwoofer and your loudspeakers.
- Equalizer: Choose between 4 EQ Preset Modes - Flat, Movie, Music, or Impact. You can further customize the 4 EQ Presets by tailoring the Gain and Q-Factor of the 5-Band EQ (20Hz, 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, and 120Hz frequencies).
- Night Mode: Night mode is a feature that reduces the peaks on the bass output by reducing the overall level but not the extension of the sub. You are able to adjust the amount of attenuation that is added when Night mode is enabled.
Note: The application will be required should a firmware update be needed for the CW8.
Balanced (XLR) & Unbalanced (RCA) Inputs: The Monitor Audio CW8 powered subwoofer is equipped with a dedicated balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA LFE input, plus an unbalanced stereo RCA input to connect the powered sub to a variety of AV receivers or integrated amplifiers.
- Balanced & Unbalanced LFE Input: Most of today's AV receivers have a line-level subwoofer output (LFE). If your receiver has an LFE output, connect one end of a subwoofer cable (sold separately) to this output and connect the other end of the cable into the powered subwoofer's dedicated Balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA LFE input. This type of connection bypasses the powered sub's crossover and uses the low-pass crossover built into your AV receiver.
- Unbalanced Stereo RCA Input: In absence of a subwoofer (LFE) output on your receiver, as an alternative hookup, you can connect Left & Right channel preamp outputs from the receiver to the unbalanced stereo RCA input on the powered subwoofer. This type of connection will use the low-pass crossover built into the powered sub.
Note: A balanced XLR cable is the best method of connection when using long runs of cables (over 32'). A balanced connection provides a much better, almost noise free method of connection over unbalanced RCA connectors.
12V Trigger Input: A 12V trigger input (3.5mm) syncs the Monitor Audio CW8 powered sub with your other AV components when the system is turned on
Auto Power On/Off: The powered subwoofer will automatically turn On when it senses an audio signal. You can also choose to turn the powered sub On manually from the rear-switch on the back. It will automatically go into "Standby mode" after 15 minutes with no audio signal.
RS-232 Control: The powered subwoofer's RS-232 control function is for use with home automation systems and uses a conventional RJ45 connector. See the owner's manual for the RS-232 communication setup parameters.
Infrared Remote Codes: The CW8 powered subwoofer offers discreet remote control commands for use with universal remote controls (sold separately).