About the Monitor Audio Gold FX
Getting in deep
Getting in deep
Monitor Audio's Gold FX surround speakers will envelop you in a deep, atmospheric soundfield that lets you fully experience every thrilling high-speed car chase, concussive explosion, and howling hurricane. Designed to create an immersive listening environment, Monitor's Gold FX speakers also add precision and clarity to your home theater. Use a pair for your rear speakers in a Monitor Audio Gold series 5.1 system, or add two pairs for a high-performance 7.1 surround sound setup.
Advanced driver technology and versatile settings options make the Gold FX surround speaker a perfect complement to any Monitor Audio Gold surround sound system.
Bipole/dipole design adds versatility and realism
The Gold FX uses a configurable six-driver array to produce your choice of direct or ambient surround sound — simply use the dipole/bipole switch on each speaker to get the best performance for your specific setup. For a 5.1 system, place a pair of Gold FX beside or behind your listening position, set them to "bipole" mode. Actually, a more accurate description of this mode is “monopole” – the front-firing 6-1/2" woofer and ribbon transducer fire together to deliver direct, ultra-wideband sound that perfectly matches any Monitor Audio Gold series speaker combination. This configuration also makes the speaker an ideal choice for high-resolution, multi-channel music systems.
For a 7.1 surround system, use two pairs of the Gold FX In "dipole" mode. This mode activates each speaker's two pairs of side firing 4” mid/bass drivers and 1" gold dome tweeters, and combines them with the tailored output from the front-firing woofer, creating a more diffuse yet tonally precise soundfield.
Either way you use them, you'll experience rich, lifelike surround sound that will involve you in your favorite movies, music, or video games.
Advanced drivers for better sound
For its front-firing tweeter, the Gold FX surround speaker takes advantage of Monitor's acclaimed ribbon transducer. Made from ultra-thin layers of a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy developed by the aerospace industry for jet engines, these ultra low-mass ribbons effortlessly deliver extended high-frequency response out to 60,000 Hz. To increase performance even further, Monitor has now tightened manufacturing tolerances to allow their ribbon drivers to offer consistently more open and transparent sound.
The speaker's side-firing drivers incorporate Monitor Audio's gold dome tweeters for smooth, detailed highs. The domes are also made of ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, then anodized with a layer of gold for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Their extremely low mass and high rigidity allow these tweeters to play accurately far beyond the range of human hearing with virtually no audible distortion.
Each speaker's ultra-rigid 6-1/2" woofer and 4" midbass drivers deliver tight, powerful bass and clean, accurate midrange. Created from the same lightweight alloy as the tweeters, the woofer is strengthened and stiffened even further by adding a pattern of dimples to the surface of the cone. The dimples help resist bending and twisting that cause distortion, while allowing the use of thinner, lighter, more responsive cones.
Gorgeous, furniture-grade finish
The speaker's exterior comes clad in a mirror-like black piano lacquer finish. Eleven layers of lacquer are built-up individually to achieve a luxuriously deep finish. Once assembled, the real-wood cabinets are hand finished to ensure absolute precision in the joinery. Monitor tops off each speaker with an attractive cloth grille that gives the Gold FX a clean, classic look. A bracket is also included for convenient wall mounting.
- frequency response: 60-60,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 50-100 watts
- impedance: 8 ohms
- dipole/bipole switch (manual or 12V signal activated) to optimize sound
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material provides high efficiency and low distortion
- front-firing close-tolerance C-CAM ribbon high-frequency transducer for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- two 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeters in an angled array for wide surround sound dispersion
- two 4" C-CAM midrange drivers in an angled array for wide surround sound dispersion
- one front-firing 6-1/2" C-CAM woofer with latest-generation RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity for greater clarity and resolution
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for greater accuracy
- five-way binding post speaker terminals
- wall-mount bracket included
- 15-3/8"W x 12-13/16"H x 6-5/8"D
- weight: 26.2 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # GOLDFXW
What's in the box:
- Surround loudspeaker
- 3 Grille
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Wall-Mount Template
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio Gold FX
Features & specs
|Bipole or Dipole||Bipole/Dip|
|Midrange size (inches)||4|
|Woofer size (inches)||6-1/2|
|Frequency Response||40-60k Hz|
|Height (inches)||12 3/16|
|Width (inches)||15 3/8|
|Depth (inches)||6 5/8|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Monopole or Dipole Mode: In monopole mode for discrete side or rear sound channels its front-firing 6.5" RST bass/mid-driver and C-CAM ribbon transducer deliver accurate ultra-wideband sound to match the tonal balance of any 'Gold' speaker combination. In dipole mode the Gold FX uses two pairs of side firing 4" C-CAM bass/mid drivers and 1" C-CAM gold-dome tweeters, combined with the tailored output from the front-firing bass/mid driver to provide wonderfully diffuse yet tonally precise surround effects.
C-CAM Technology: The drivers of the Gold series FX surround loudspeaker utilize Monitor Audio's proprietary C-CAM speaker technology.
- C-CAM Ribbon Tweeter: Monitor Audio's proprietary ribbon tweeter design uses an ultra-thin sandwich of C-CAM alloy suspended in a powerful transverse magnetic field of high energy NeFeB rare earth magnets. The ribbon serves as both voice coil and radiating diaphragm, with every part of the ribbon driven directly and simultaneously without energy storage. Having a mass of just 18mg, its diaphragm is able to start and stop in an instant, producing a transient response capable of defining the leading edge and natural harmonic resonance of complex musical sounds. Specified to reach ultra-high frequencies, this ribbon tweeter will reproduce with ease every last nuance and detail from vinyl, CD, DVD Audio, and SACD, together with the wider bandwidth of Blu-ray or high resolution digital audio.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Woofers: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The Gold series FX surround speaker combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Gold series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CAM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Single Through-Bolt Mount: The drivers are fixed to the cabinet with a single through-bolt driver fixing mount. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
Sealed MDF Enclosure: The Gold FX employs a sealed MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration.
High Quality Crossover & Wiring: The Gold FX uses a high quality crossover with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors. The speaker also utilizes "Pureflow" silver plated OFC copper internal cabling.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The surround loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Controls: The Gold series FX surround loudspeaker offers unique controls to configure the speaker for your type of setup.
- Monopole/Dipole Switch: This switch determines the actual mode of the Gold FX speakers. When part of 5.1 systems as a rear speaker, set the switch to monopole. If part of a 7.1 system as side speakers, set the switch to dipole. If using four Gold FX speakers (side & rear) set them all to dipole mode.
- Location Switch: This switch is used when determining the location of the Gold FX speakers. This will only make a difference when in 'di-pole' mode
- Tweeter Attenuation Switch: This switch adjusts the level of the high frequency tweeter. In the middle position, there is no attenuation. Placed in the "-" position, the high frequencies will be attenuated by 3dB. Placed in the "+" position, the high frequencies will be boosted by 3dB.
Mounting Options: The Gold FX can be flush-mounted on side or rear walls. Installation is made easy by the inclusion of a wall-bracket, which allows leveling and adjustment prior to fixing.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked