About the Monitor Audio Radius 45
Pure concentrated fun
Pure concentrated fun
We weren't sure if it was really possible for a speaker this small to still perform effectively. Boy, were we surprised! Even though the Radius 45 may be the smallest speaker Monitor Audio has ever built, this tiny cube delivers Monitor's signature wide-open sound in spades.
With its front-firing 3" mid/bass driver and rear-firing gold dome tweeter, the R45 will fill your living space with a tonal presence and spaciousness that must be heard to be believed. Pair these speakers with Monitor Audio's Radius 380 subwoofer to create an ultra-discreet, high-performance music or multichannel surround sound system.
Monitor Audio's secret sauce
The Radius 45 benefits from many of the technical advances, materials, and construction techniques found in Monitor's top-of-the-line speakers. Its 3/4" dome tweeter is made of a high-tech ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy.
This exceptionally stiff, lightweight material allows the driver to respond swiftly and precisely to the audio signal for greater accuracy. The tweeter also gets an anodized coating of gold that helps ensure smooth, extended highs.
Gorgeous build quality and design
Monitor Audio speakers have long been known for their sturdy, vault-like cabinet construction. The R45's rigid MDF enclosure feels solid and substantial, with an exterior clad in a beautiful high-gloss black or white finish.
- frequency response: 120-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 15-50 watts
- impedance: 8 ohms
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material provides high efficiency and low distortion
- rear-firing 3/4" C-CAM gold dome tweeter
- 3" MMP® II (Metal Matrix Polymer) mid/bass driver
- acoustic-suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- five-way binding post speaker terminals
- 3-15/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 4-7/8"D
- weight: 2.25 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R45PB
What's in the box:
- 2 Satellite loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles (attached)
- 8 Rubber feet
- Grille removal tool
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio Radius 45 reviews
These sound pretty good. I don't know that I would buy them again. But they'll work for now. Decent sound. They help fill out a room. But the range seems somewhat limited. I don't love the rear-facing tweeter, but it keeps the size done. I'm using them as rear surround sound speakers in a small room. My spouse wanted something discreet.
Pros: Good size. Discreet.
Cons: Limited range and power, but not bad for a small amp.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Great looks and feel. Perfect rear speaker with bigger fronts and center. Would work well in a smaller setup as front and rear.
Pros: Size, quality, versatility
Cons: Better for rear sounds than music
0 of 0 found this helpful
We needed surround speakers that were as small as possible that still produced quality sound for our movie viewing. After much research, we found that this is a specific niche, and from our choices these were the obvious pick. Their walnut finish fits perfectly with our furniture, and by using existing tables we could set them up without having to use any speaker stands. We also are using a wireless speaker system to operate them without wires, which made the entire setup even more convenient. These speakers bring in a great sound that was missing prior to their installation.
Pros: Size Appearance Quality of sound vs their size
2 of 2 found this helpful
Needed 2 satellite speakers to replace 2 existing larger Polk's in a 5.1 configuration. Was not comfortable going with the TS1 or TS2 as side view was a consideration and seemed like anything Bose had needed to include their sub (although other sellers claimed that was not "necessarily" the case). In wanting to get a simple one for one replacement of the two, I went with these on Crutchfield's recommendation. Sound great and look great as well. Very small cubes resting on 2 end tables around elbow height. Yeah, I know, not text book optimization but I don't care. They sound great there, crisp and full with the rest of the speakers, namely Wharfdale (L, C, R) and a basic sub.
12 of 14 found this helpful
More details on the Monitor Audio Radius 45
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||0.75|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||3|
|Frequency Response||120-20k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||36|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Applications: The Monitor Audio Radius 45 satellite loudspeaker is perfect for discrete sound around your home, or partnered with a Radius powered sub (sold separately) for big stereo sound, or used as surround and surround back speakers in your home theater.
Two-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio Radius 45 features a two-way speaker design with one rear-firing 3/4" C-CAM gold dome tweeter and one front-firing 3" MMP II cone woofer. The tweeter is rear-firing to enhance sound dispersion characteristics. The tweeter and woofer share similar audible consistency producing a smooth transition of frequencies and a sense of realism and cohesion in the soundstage.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- Metal Matrix Polymer (MMP II) Woofer: Metal Matrix Polymer driver cones have a polypropylene diaphragm injected with metallic particles to offer a rigid and responsive structure. They are manufactured using a sophisticated high-pressure injection process, which modulates cone thickness at critical points to optimize stiffness and consistency, resulting in a superior sonic performance.
Note: The Radius 45 incorporates a thermal protection device, which helps to protect the woofer and tweeter from permanent damage.
Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and woofer are fixed to the cabinet with a single through-bolt driver fixing mount. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
Stylish Cabinet: The Monitor Audio Radius 45 features a beautiful precision cabinet in a gloss black, satin white, or walnut finish. The cabinet's smooth rounded edges, silver trim, and metal mesh grille add to the style and look of the speaker.
Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Radius 45 is fitted with gold-plated binding post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual).
Mounting Options: Self adhesive rubber feet are provided to prevent movement due to vibration when using the Radius 45 loudspeakers on a table, shelf, or stand. And thanks to its rear-panel 1/4"-20 threaded insert, the Radius 45 can also be fixed to a wall using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked