About the Monitor Audio Silver 200
Slim and sleek with superb sound
Slim and sleek with superb sound
Monitor Audio's Silver 200 floor-standing speaker delivers powerful-yet-nuanced musical performance, without taking up much space in your room. In fact, this slender tower offers surprisingly full sound for its size, making it a great fit for small- to medium-sized rooms. Available in a range of attractive real-wood veneer and high gloss finishes, the Silver 200 is a speaker you'll love listening to and looking at.
Monitor Audio's Silver 200 floor-standing speaker includes outriggers to provide a sturdy foundation on your floor (shown in walnut with grille removed).
Six generations of Silver speakers
The Silver 200 is part of Monitor Audio's Silver "6G" Series — the sixth generation of the company's "sweet spot" speaker lineup, which falls between their Bronze and Gold Series speakers. The 200 is the smallest tower in the Silver series.
Great sound starts with a high-quality cabinet
The clear, distortion-free sound of the Silver 200 is in part due to its carefully designed rock-solid enclosure, which resists vibration that can color sound and reduce clarity. Each of the speaker's 5-1/4" woofers has its own acoustic chamber, ensuring textured, accurate midrange and punchy bass.
Advanced tweeter and crossover design
The Silver 200's 1" gold dome tweeter uses a rigid-but-lightweight design that delivers clear, detailed highs and realistic reproduction of instruments, vocals, and dialogue. An advanced crossover network helps ensure smooth, full-range sound throughout the speaker's frequency range. Use a pair of the Silver 200s as part of a high-end stereo system, or as the front channels of a Monitor Audio home theater system.
A welcome addition to your décor
The Silver 200's included outrigger feet screw into the bottom of the speaker to provide a sturdy — and cool looking — foundation. And Monitor Audio tops the Silver 200 off with an attractive "floating" magnetic grille that features invisible attachments to give it a clean, classy look.
Build a complete Monitor Audio Silver system
Complete your Silver Series home theater system with these voice-matched speakers:
Round out the low end with the powerful Silver W12 powered subwoofer.
- frequency response: 38-35,000 Hz (-6dB)
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 60-150 watts
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- dual 5-1/4" C-CAM woofers with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- one woofer produces just bass, the other produces both bass and midrange
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity
- bass-reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for minimal turbulence and high velocity airflow
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for smooth, full-range sound
- two sets of binding posts allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- beautiful high-gloss black finish
- removable magnetic grille
- 9-1/8"W x 36-1/8"H x 12-1/16"D
- weight: 32.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # S200BG
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Outrigger feet (includes metal plate / knob / nut / rubber foot)
- 4 Spikes
- 4 Bolts
- 4 Machine screws
- 2 Foam port plugs
- 2 Hex-keys
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio Silver 200 reviews
We love these speakers. They not only sound great, they look great too.
Pros: Nice clean sound. Plenty of power for a mid-sized room.
0 of 0 found this helpful
upgraded from Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers in my entertainment room and I'm very happy with the results. The Silver 200s deliver a crisper sound and have a nicer look/presence. For some uses I believe that an additional subwoofer may not be necessary as this speaker delivers good enough bass. I tested them for nearly a week without my SVS PB-1000 sub, and with it and while the sub does add another dimension to the listening experience you can enjoy the speakers without them. The form factor is a bit more convenient for my space when compared to the Bronze 2s. The enclosure is narrower and shallower the end result is that it ends up taking less floor space. I'm also glad I chose the high gloss variant as it looks very elegant when compared to my Bronze 2 "black oak" variation.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Perfect floorstanders for my small to medium sized room. I am no running s surround setup, only stereo. They were good standard wiring, but biamping them really brought the bass response to life! My wife hates bulky gear, but she loves the small footprint and stylish looks of these awesome speakers. If you're into hip hop you may need a sub, but let your ears be the judge.
Pros: Stylish, compact, balanced, affordable.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Made this purchase based on speaker's dimensions (a floorstander that won't overwhelm the guest bedroom, where these speakers are positioned) and favorable Stereophile review on big brother Silver 300. Amazed with out-of-box rich, lush sound and old-school base you feel that accents musical experience, not overwhelms. Powered by a Cambridge Audio Azur 651W (100 watts, a Crutchfield purchase) and fed from my home's Denon AVR-X7200W (also a Crutchfield purchase). The Denon is the hub with an Audioquest Golden Gate interconnect running in the crawl space to the guest room as "Zone 3," connected to a NAD C165BEE preamp (also a Crutchfield purchase) that's connected to the Cambridge that feeds the Monitors. It all sounds amazing and not sure if it's the Azur or the Monitors but it has become my favorite room for listening. And, did I mention the Monitor's are nice looking, too? Been running them for a month. I ordered mine in Walnut finish which matches the guest room's furnishing perfectly. Ordering and shipping was easy and fast. Very satisfied with the purchase and Crutchfield.
Pros: Great, rich, lush sound. Base you can feel as accent, that doesn't overwhelm musical experience, well crafted, beautiful walnut finish
2 of 2 found this helpful
Great sound regardless of type of music. Very nice sized floorstanders. Audition a pair and make your decision easier. The premium for the piano black finish is worth it.
Cons: None noticed.
1 of 2 found this helpful
More details on the Monitor Audio Silver 200
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||38-35k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
Silver Series: Revered by audiophiles around the globe, Monitor Audio's award-winning Silver Series enters its sixth generation with a host of new features that make it perform even better than previous generations. Monitor Audio's Silver Series combines engineering excellence with fabulous design to create an audiophile-grade hi-fi or home theatre loudspeaker. The Silver Series loudspeakers produce abundant dynamics, rich textures, and immense detail that allow you to enjoy absolute clarity and pinpoint imaging.
Note: The Silver Series consists of bookshelf loudspeakers (50/100), floorstanding loudspeakers (200/300/500), center-channel loudspeakers (C150/C350), and a surround loudspeaker (FX), plus a powered subwoofer (W-12) to create a complete home theater system.
2.5-Way Floorstanding Loudspeaker: Monitor Audio's Silver 200 floorstanding loudspeaker utilizes a 2.5-way driver design with a newly designed 1" C-CAM Gold Dome tweeter and two new 5.25" C-CAM RST midbass concave "dished" woofers. The pair of 5.25" drivers share the duties of delivering bass and midbass and are in separate acoustic chambers within the enclosure to provide differential tuning, and are divided optimally with crossovers to ensure both midbass/bass drivers contribute to the lower frequencies. This ensures only the midrange crosses over with the tweeter and results in a consistent and precise image, on and off axis. Configured as a 2.5-way system both electrically and acoustically, you will be amazed at the sound quality that this slim-line floorstander can produce in your home.
- 1" Tweeter: The newly 1" C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) Gold Dome tweeter, features a vented Neo magnet system, optimized for lower distortion and cleaner sounding treble. This innovative venting technique along with a damped rear chamber improves clarity and widens operating bandwidth.
- Dual 5.25" Woofers: The ultra-compact Silver 200 introduces a completely new version of Monitor Audio's special 5.25" C-CAM RST midbass woofer with a concave "dished" cone profile for optimal damping and improved midrange clarity. The two 5.25" woofers are constructed with massive magnetic systems and cast polymer chassis capable of deep bass extension with excellent rigidity and damping characteristics. Each C-CAM woofer also utilizes a unique build ring/voice coil-cone coupling mechanism (DCF), optimized to reduce high-frequency cone break-up and increase the critical voice coil circumferential rigidity.
- High Quality Crossovers: The Monitor Audio Silver 200 employs high-quality crossovers (LF/MF=700Hz, MF/HF=2.8kHz) with premium grade, bespoke polypropylene film capacitors, air-core and low-loss laminated steel-core inductors to seamlessly blend the sound of the tweeter and woofers together for a natural sounding audio image. Pureflow silver-plated OFC copper internal cabling means the highest-quality transfer throughout the signal chain.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Monitor Audio Silver Series loudspeaker line-up, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter found in the Silver Series family of loudspeakers is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Woofer: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is used to construct the woofer cone in the Silver Series loudspeakers. C-CAM is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 200 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The Silver Series combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver Series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
HiVe II Bass Reflex Ports: The Silver 200 floorstanding loudspeaker features a dual chamber bass reflex cabinet with two rear-firing ports (each 5.25" woofer has its own chamber and port) for greater efficiency, better detail & accuracy, plus bigger bass response from a slim floorstanding speaker. The Silver 200's dual chamber bass reflex enclosure utilizes Monitor Audio's HiVe II port design that is shaped to have the same effect on airflow as a gun-barrel on a bullet. Rifled grooves inside the port help to accelerate the flow and reduce turbulence, so air moves in and out of the port more efficiently, for a faster more dynamic bass response.
Note: If the bass is too boomy, you can insert the included foam port plugs (one or both) into the speaker's rear-firing ports to tighten and lessen the bass.
Rigid Construction: Strategic cabinet bracing and Monitor Audio's bolt-through technology creates an amazingly solid speaker. Not only can it play loud and clear, it delivers an incredibly well balanced, pure midrange for a natural sound. Design criteria ensure that the Silver 200 will make the most of your living space by being placed close to a wall and yet still deliver clean, punchy bass. You will only hear well-balanced, pure midrange without ever a hint of box coloration.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and woofer are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
- MDF Enclosure w/ Magnetic Grille: The Silver 200 employs a MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration. In addition, the floorstanding speaker comes with an acoustically transparent magnetic cloth grille.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Silver Series floorstanding loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, & banana plugs (single only). To use banana plugs, you will need to remove each binding post's plastic insert. Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. The binding-post speaker terminals are color-coded (red+/black-) and are at floor-level for easy identification and hookup.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Application: The Monitor Audio Silver Series 200 floorstanding loudspeakers can be used for the front or rear channels in a home theater system, or standing alone in a strictly two-channel stereo system.
- Front Placement: As front channels in a home theater setup or as a 2ch speaker system, the floorstanding loudspeaker should be positioned so they create an equidistant triangle between the speakers and your main listening position. The speakers should be positioned 6'-10' apart from one another, 8"-14" from the back wall, and at least 3' from the side walls. The speakers can be "toed" in and angled toward the main listening position to create a more distinct stereo image.
- Rear Placement: As rear speakers in a home theater setup, the speakers should be positioned directly to the left and right of your main listening position, or directly behind the main listening position. The speakers should be positioned 6'-10' apart from one another, 8"-14" from the back wall, and at least 3' from the side walls.
Outrigger Feet: The Silver Series 200 floorstanding speaker includes four outrigger feet which will need to be installed and screwed into the bottom of the speaker cabinet (hardware included). Each outrigger assembly comes with a rubber foot installed for hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. Spike feet are also included for carpeted flooring. The spike feet screw into the bottom of the rubber feet. A knob and locking nut on each of the outriggers allow you to adjust the level of the speaker once it is set in place.
- Dimensions with Rubber Feet: 8.9375" (w) x 35.75" (h) x 12.0625" (d)
- Dimensions with Spike Feet: 8.9375" (w) x 36.375" (h) x 12.0625" (d)
Note: Do not use the speakers without the outrigger feet installed. The feet add greater stability and aid in higher quality sound reproduction. The rubber feet and spike feet cannot be used without the outriggers installed.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked