About the Monitor Audio Silver 300
Powerful sound from a three-way tower
Powerful sound from a three-way tower
I had the opportunity to audition Monitor Audio's Silver 300 floor-standing speaker prior to its launch. Despite its relatively modest size, this beautiful speaker created a huge, lifelike soundstage that left a smile on my face. Read on for a closer look at what's under the hood, along with some notes from my listening session.
Monitor Audio's Silver 300 floor-standing speaker includes outrigger feet to provide a sturdy foundation on your floor (shown in satin white with grille removed).
Six generations of Silver speakers
The Silver 300 is part of Monitor Audio's Silver "6G" Series — the sixth generation of the company's "sweet spot" speaker lineup, which falls between their Bronze and Gold Series speakers. The 300 is a step-up from the Silver 200, sporting an additional woofer and a three-way design.
Great sound starts with a high-quality enclosure
The clear, distortion-free sound of the Silver 300 is in part due to its carefully designed rock-solid enclosure, which resists vibration that can color sound and reduce clarity. The included outrigger feet screw into the bottom of the speaker to provide a sturdy foundation.
Powerful and articulate bass and midrange
The Silver 300 uses two 6" woofers to dish out hard-hitting, responsive bass that adds soul and punch to music and movie soundtracks. A dedicated 4" midrange driver lets the woofers focus solely on low frequencies.
Monitor Audio uses an advanced crossover network to ensure smooth, full-range sound throughout this speaker's frequency range.
Crystal-clear high frequencies
One of the coolest things about the Silver 6 Series is that each speaker in the lineup — regardless of design or size — uses the same 1" gold dome tweeter. This ensures that you're getting clear, detailed highs and realistic reproduction of instruments, vocals, and dialogue from every speaker in your system. Use a pair of the Silver 300s as part of a high-end stereo system, or as the front channels of a Monitor Audio home theater system.
A welcome addition to your décor
The Silver 300 is available in a variety of beautiful real-wood veneer or high-gloss finishes. And Monitor Audio tops the Silver 300 off with an attractive "floating" magnetic grille that features invisible attachments to give it a clean, classy look.
My listening impressions
I listened to a pair of the 300s in our large vendor training room, and was immediately impressed by their spatial imaging. Jen Chapin's rendition of "You Haven't Done Nothin'" features an upright bass, a seriously cool saxophone, and Chapin's flowing voice. The Silver 300s did a superb job of creating a "live show" feel, sonically placing each musician in space the way I would have expected to see them on stage.
Zac Brown Band's "Overnight" offered a close-up look at the deep, controlled bass the 300s can produce. These speakers felt totally in control — even at a fairly high listening level. There was no hint of distortion or harshness, even when we cranked 'em up.
Build a complete Monitor Audio Silver system
Complete your Silver Series home theater system with these voice-matched speakers:
Round out the low end with the powerful Silver W12 powered subwoofer.
- 3-way design
- frequency response: 32-35,000 Hz (-6dB)
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 80-200 watts
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- dual 6" C-CAM woofers with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- 4" C-CAM midrange driver with RST
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity
- bass-reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for minimal turbulence and high velocity airflow
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for smooth, full-range sound
- two sets of binding posts allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- beautiful black oak wood veneer finish
- removable magnetic grille
- 9-15/16"W x 40-11/16"H x 14-7/16"D
- weight: 44.25 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # S300BL
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Outrigger feet (includes metal plate / knob / nut / rubber foot)
- 4 Spikes
- 4 Bolts
- 4 Machine screws
- 2 Foam port plugs
- 2 Hex-keys
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio Silver 300 reviews
Size is perfect for my home office (mid sized room). Position is fairly important to get the full presence of these speakers. Very pleasing on the top and mid range. In a bigger room a sub woofer would fill it out nicely. Bass is more than adequate in a mid sized room. The sound to me is generally relaxed and accurate. If you want a more in your face treble I would look at something else. I prefer a smoother soundstage and more accuracy than very bright treble. The warmth of these speakers fit me just right.
Pros: Finish is as good as it gets at this price range. Pretty narrow for their output. Sound is very spacious with a proper amp. Very warm accurate to my ears with nice soundstage.
Cons: Position matters to get most of the 300's. Works well on lesser amps but comes alive on 100 watt plus amp (mine is 160 WPC. Look elsewhere if you want in your face treble.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Bought these to replace some Klipsch synergy speakers. Wow, what a difference! The music really comes alive with the Monitor Audio Silver 300's. There is much more clarity and detail in the music across highs, mids, and lows. Excellent speakers.
Pros: Clarity and detail is amazing.
Cons: None so far
0 of 0 found this helpful
Crisp, Clear, Awesome! I just upgraded my system to include a Yamaha A-S1100 and this pairing sounds amazing! Very clear and crisp. Tight lows, great highs, but I am more impressed with the mid-range. Horns, tom-toms, guitar strums - it is amazing what you can hear. The speakers produce a very impressive sound for their size. My last speakers were very large Klipsch RF-82, so this is a huge quality upgrade while downsizing on the dimension of the speakers.
Pros: Very, Very polished sound quality for this price
1 of 1 found this helpful
I purchased the 300's for a second stereo system consisting of a Marantz ND8006 player and a PM8006 integrated amp. For critical listening and break-in I used my entry level audiophile signal chain that I had since 2001. It consists of a CD, pre and power amp of British origin, medium powered (840 VA toroidal), no EQ. It's a fairly accurate and very neutral sounding system costing 4.5x in 2001 of what I recently paid for the Marantz combo. Out of the box, the accuracy and detailed sound stage of the Silver 300's were quite noticeable. There seemed to be an increased presence in the upper mid range adding a layer of detail to the music. On the downside, the overall musical representation sounded very sterile and disengaging. The first 5 hours of listening were quite the ordeal to get through. The next day, after a total of 10 hrs. the speakers had notably opened up. The bass became fuller, the treble a tad smoother, and everything seemed to blend together better. The sound stage became a bit more 3D like. Yet, there was still quite a bit of clinical coldness to the overall sound. After 20 hrs. of run-in I felt I could give them my stamp of approval. After 40 hrs. the Silver 300 sounded pretty awesome, very detailed, balanced, 3D like, and non fatiguing. Finally, plugging them into the Marantz gear warmed things up a notch, produced a bigger bass and smoother tops, while loosing some midrange presence and detail. Overall I think the 300s are a good match for my Marantz s
Pros: - A very, very detailed speaker, which can be a curse or a blessing, depending on the quality of the recording, and the gear used in the signal chain. - With good recordings, and if placed properly, speakers can produce a detailed sound stage with 3D feel. - Well balanced reproduction across frequency spectrum. - With the right amp, they handle loud playing volumes with ease. - Ample bass production that can be decreased or increased with speaker positioning. - Good match for my
Cons: I can't really speak of any cons. It all depends on the rest of the gear. Sometimes too much accuracy is not favorable to the listening experience. When playing the Silvers through my other gear, I suddenly realized things that were goofed up in a recording that I had not realized before, such as studio overdubs of live recordings - no kidding. Compared to my other speakers, the Silvers delivered the music to me with immediacy, whereas my older speakers seductively pulled me into the music.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Incredible sound in a large room. Best speaker I've ever owned.
Pros: Sound and ease of unpacking and set up.
Cons: Nothing yet
0 of 1 found this helpful
Wow...I've completed my Home System... Have been listening to Monitor Audio Bronze BR5's for 5 years and decided to upgrade to the Silver 300's. Being powered by Rouge Audio's Magnum II amp, when I first powered them up and listening to Alan Parson's I Robot album (Original Master Recording 45lp) ... I realized I had a grin ear to ear! The depth, clarity and discovery of mixes within the music I've never heard before. Listening to a Pink Floyd album, I had to turn it down because of a sound I thought to be someone knocking at the door... acutially turned out to be a Bass riff in the song I've never heard until the Silver 300's For you audiophile's, running these speakers in Pure Direct brings chills to the back of your neck ! The more power you put to them the deeper and fuller the music becomes. Strongly suggest spinning some Original Master Recordings, it will bring tears to your eyes!
0 of 0 found this helpful
I am crazy about the biggest investment I have ever made in stereo speakers. I am also glad that I bought them from Crutchfield! Great service all around. Special thanks go to Jess from Crutchfield as she directed me to these speakers while on a shopping chat. Initially, I had them connected to my Sony SDN1050 receiver and a Sony HAP1EZ hi res player using a single pair of wires and the receiver set to straight 2 channel output; I sat there and was absolutely amazed at the sound, my first impression was how "musical" they sounded, you can hear the tones and notes so clearly. I certainly never heard such detail before. In the interest of keeping up with technology I broke everything down and ran enough cable to bi-amp them. I was very disappointed in the sound, but I owe that to my listening space being small. When bi-amped, these beauties boomed way too much and we're awfully bright. I reinstalled them again with a single pair of wires and I am back to the most amazing sound and thoroughly enjoy them. So bi-amping did nothing for me, but again, not the speakers fault in my opinion. I am about 40 hours away from them being broken in, and it's hard to believe they will sound even better, but that will be the case. These are the perfect speakers for me, even at low volume the details come in crystal clear. These make listening to music fun!
Pros: Sound is wonderful at low volumes. Clarity of the instruments is over the top. I had no idea... Extremely well made and sturdy Not too much of a hog on amp power
Cons: Don't really have any... 100% satisfied so far.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Micro details that can draw you in even at low listening volume seem to present the amplifiers a easy load to drive there is nothing harsh or fatiguing about these speakers can listen to any GENRES of music all day.I believe one would be hard pressed at this period of time to find a better sounding Loud speaker at this price point.
Pros: Very easy on the ears easy for amps to drive very well packaged speaker great micro dynamics low distortion
Cons: I have none
1 of 1 found this helpful
I can't believe I'm the first to review these. They are absolutely incredible. You owe it to yourself to demo them if you're in the market for towers in this price range. They sound even better bi-amped.
5 of 5 found this helpful
More details on the Monitor Audio Silver 300
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||4|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||32-35k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
Silver Series: Revered by audiophiles around the globe, Monitor Audio's award-winning Silver Series enters its sixth generation with a host of new features that make it perform even better than previous generations. Monitor Audio's Silver Series combines engineering excellence with fabulous design to create an audiophile-grade hi-fi or home theatre loudspeaker. The Silver Series loudspeakers produce abundant dynamics, rich textures, and immense detail that allow you to enjoy absolute clarity and pinpoint imaging.
Note: The Silver Series consists of bookshelf loudspeakers (50/100), floorstanding loudspeakers (200/300/500), center-channel loudspeakers (C150/C350), and a surround loudspeaker (FX), plus a powered subwoofer (W-12) to create a complete home theater system.
3-Way Floorstanding Loudspeaker: Monitor Audio's Silver 300 floorstanding loudspeaker utilizes a 3-way driver design with a newly designed 1" C-CAM Gold Dome tweeter, specially developed 4" C-CAM RST midrange driver, and two new 6" C-CAM RST midbass/bass concave "dished" long-throw woofers. The 3-way configuration allows each driver to be optimized to do a better job over a narrower frequency. The Silver 300 delivers class-leading midrange, while the pair of long-throw 6"bass drivers work together to produce powerful midbass and bass from the tall, but slim cabinet design.
- 1" Tweeter: The newly 1" C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) Gold Dome tweeter, features a vented Neo magnet system, optimized for lower distortion and cleaner sounding treble. This innovative venting technique along with a damped rear chamber improves clarity and widens operating bandwidth.
- 4" Midrange Driver: The Silver 300 produces natural midrange courtesy of a dedicated 4" C-CAM RST midrange driver, specially designed with a "under-hung" voice coil and motor system. This technique ensures the voice coil always remains in the magnetic gap under all conditions for lower distortion.
- Dual 6" Long-Throw Woofers: The ultra-compact Silver 300 introduces a completely new version of Monitor Audio's special 6" C-CAM RST long-throw woofer with a concave "dished" cone profile for optimal damping and improved midrange clarity. The two 6" long-throw woofers are constructed with massive magnetic systems and cast polymer chassis capable of deep bass extension with excellent rigidity and damping characteristics. Each C-CAM woofer also utilizes a unique build ring/voice coil-cone coupling mechanism (DCF), optimized to reduce high-frequency cone break-up and increase the critical voice coil circumferential rigidity.
- High Quality Crossovers: The Monitor Audio Silver 300 employs high-quality crossovers (LF/MF=570Hz, MF/HF=3.5kHz) with premium grade, bespoke polypropylene film capacitors, air-core and low-loss laminated steel-core inductors to seamlessly blend the sound of the tweeter, midrange driver, and woofers together for a natural sounding audio image. Pureflow silver-plated OFC copper internal cabling means the highest-quality transfer throughout the signal chain.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Monitor Audio Silver Series loudspeaker line-up, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter found in the Silver Series family of loudspeakers is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Woofer/Midrange: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is used to construct the woofer cone in the Silver Series loudspeakers. C-CAM is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 300 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The Silver Series combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver Series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
HiVe II Bass Reflex Ports: The Silver 300 floorstanding loudspeaker features a dual-chamber bass reflex cabinet with two rear-firing ports for the dual 6" woofers. The dual-camber bass reflex cabinet provides greater efficiency, better midbass detail, and bigger bass response from a slim floorstanding speaker. The Silver 300's bass reflex enclosure utilizes Monitor Audio's HiVe II port design that is shaped to have the same effect on airflow as a gun-barrel on a bullet. Rifled grooves inside the port help to accelerate the flow and reduce turbulence, so air moves in and out of the port more efficiently, for a faster more dynamic bass response.
Note: If the bass is too boomy, you can insert the included foam port plugs (one or both) into the speaker's rear-firing ports to tighten and lessen the bass.
Rigid Construction: Strategic cabinet bracing and Monitor Audio's bolt-through technology creates an amazingly solid speaker. Not only can it play loud and clear, it delivers an incredibly well balanced, pure midrange for a natural sound. Design criteria ensure that the Silver 300 will make the most of your living space by being placed close to a wall and yet still deliver clean, punchy bass. You will only hear well-balanced, pure midrange without ever a hint of box coloration.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and woofer are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
- MDF Enclosure w/ Magnetic Grille: The Silver 300 employs a MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration. In addition, the floorstanding speaker comes with an acoustically transparent magnetic cloth grille.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Silver Series floorstanding loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, & banana plugs (single only). To use banana plugs, you will need to remove each binding post's plastic insert. Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. The binding-post speaker terminals are color-coded (red+/black-) and are at floor-level for easy identification and hookup.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Application: The Monitor Audio Silver Series 300 floorstanding loudspeakers can be used for the front or rear channels in a home theater system, or standing alone in a strictly two-channel stereo system.
- Front Placement: As front channels in a home theater setup or as a 2ch speaker system, the floorstanding loudspeaker should be positioned so they create an equidistant triangle between the speakers and your main listening position. The speakers should be positioned 6'-10' apart from one another, 12"-24" from the back wall, and at least 3' from the side walls. The speakers can be "toed" in and angled toward the main listening position to create a more distinct stereo image.
- Rear Placement: As rear speakers in a home theater setup, the speakers should be positioned directly to the left and right of your main listening position, or directly behind the main listening position. The speakers should be positioned 6'-10' apart from one another, 12"-24" from the back wall, and at least 3' from the side walls.
Outrigger Feet: The Silver Series 300 floorstanding speaker includes four outrigger feet which will need to be installed and screwed into the bottom of the speaker cabinet (hardware included). Each outrigger assembly comes with a rubber foot installed for hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. Spike feet are also included for carpeted flooring. The spike feet screw into the bottom of the rubber feet. A knob and locking nut on each of the outriggers allow you to adjust the level of the speaker once it is set in place.
- Dimensions with Rubber Feet: 9.8125" (w) x 40.25" (h) x 14.375" (d)
- Dimensions with Spike Feet: 9.8125" (w) x 40.875" (h) x 14.375" (d)
Note: Do not use the speakers without the outrigger feet installed. The feet add greater stability and aid in higher quality sound reproduction. The rubber feet and spike feet cannot be used without the outriggers installed.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked