About the Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G
Top-tier performance from Monitor Audio
Top-tier performance from Monitor Audio
The gorgeous Silver 500 7G is Monitor Audio's top-of-the-line Silver Series speaker. With its modern visual design and updated drivers, it's a feast for the eyes and ears. A pair of them have no trouble filling even large rooms with dynamic, engaging sound. Monitor's recipe for such great performance? The answer lies in the drivers.
Beefy drivers built from upgraded materials
The Silver 500 7G sports a 1" tweeter that uses Monitor's iconic gold dome Ceramic-Coated Aluminum Magnesium (C-CAM) material. But this latest version has a new waveguide designed to eliminate as much distortion as possible. The company also revamped the tweeter's magnet for tighter control of the driver, resulting in more detail across its frequency range.
The twin 8" woofers aren't shy on bass, providing low frequency extension with surprising authority and rich detail. The single 3" midrange driver handles those tricky frequencies between the lows and highs and ensures they are blended accurately and evenly with the rest.
Both the woofers and the midrange use an improved C-CAM cone material featuring Monitor's latest Rigid Surface Technology (RST II) for tighter mid and bass response and better dynamics. There's also an improved crossover system that helps the woofers, midrange, and tweeter work together better to provide a smooth, non-fatiguing response. That means clearer vocals, more realistic-sounding instruments, and sound you can enjoy for hours on end.
A gorgeous, solidly built cabinet
Having owned some of Monitor's speakers myself over the years, I can attest that they're sturdy as can be. The Silver 500 7G uses thick MDF (medium-density fiberboard) both to make the speakers more durable and to resist vibrations that are notorious for muddying sound and decreasing sonic accuracy. The finish is eye-catchingly beautiful, and the included magnetic grilles are stylish. The speaker looks great with or without the grille attached.
New molded outrigger and feet for extra stability
The updated outrigger and feet on the bottom of the speaker are a nice touch. They keep it stable and less prone to tipping over, as well as minimizing contact with your floor. Spikes for carpeted floors and rubber pads for hardwood floors are included.
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for uncolored and extended high-frequency response
- Uniform Dispersion (UD) Waveguide II reduces distortion and helps flatten frequency response
- two 8" C-CAM woofers and 3" midrange with Rigid Surface Technology (RST) II for higher driver rigidity and reduced driver weight
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity for clearer sound
- bass-reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for deeper, tighter bass and minimal port noise
- beautiful wood veneer finish
- frequency response: 27-35,000 Hz (-6dB)
- sensitivity: 90.5 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 80-250 watts RMS
- two sets of binding posts allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- removable magnetic grilles
- 12-11/16"W x 42-11/16"H x 15-7/16"D (including grille, feet, and binding posts)
- weight: 49.56 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SILVER 500 7G WN
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Outrigger feet
- 4 Rubber feet (pre-installed on outrigger feet)
- 4 Spikes
- 4 Bolts
- 4 Machine screws
- 2 Foam port plugs
- 2 Hex-keys
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||3|
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Woofer Composition||C-CAM RST II|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||27-35k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
1" Tweeter: The Monitor Audio Silver Series 500 7G floorstanding loudspeaker uses a newly designed 1" C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) Gold Dome tweeter featuring a completely redesigned magnet structure, new rear chamber design, an advanced surround, as well as an upgraded UD (Uniform Dispersion) Waveguide II for refined high frequency sound.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome: The tweeter's strong, but lightweight 25mm C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) diaphragm ensures that the diaphragm acts as a rigid piston through the pass band, while the breakup frequency is pushed well above the audible range. The new ring magnet structure increases the tweeter's linear excursion and power handling capabilities. An improved surround material is used around the tweeter to help with damping and improve high frequency performance. The rear-side of the surround is vented around the outside of the magnet structure and into the main chamber to reduce a build up of energy to produce cleaner high frequencies with lower distortion.
- UD (Uniform Dispersion) Waveguide II: The tweeter's integrated Uniform Dispersion (UD) Waveguide II produces even dispersion characteristics, improved time alignment so the wave fronts from both tweeter and drivers will reach the listener simultaneously, plus lower crossover frequency for wider directivity. Building on the original UD Waveguide, this new design adds a compression ring above the surround and dome increasing the tweeter's sensitivity above 10kHz. The increased sensitivity helps to flatten the frequency response whilst also reducing the distortion. The waveguide's geometry has also been optimized to work with the new compression ring. In addition, the tweeter's new grille design further refines the optimized diffusion pattern of the tweeter's UD Waveguide II. Together, this results in reduced distortion across the entire operating high frequency band for a more comfortable listening experience.
Dual 8" Woofers: The Silver Series 500 7G floorstanding loudspeaker houses two of Monitor Audio's newly designed 8" C-CAM RST II bass woofers with a concave "dished" cone profile for optimal damping and improved midbass and bass clarity. The integration RST (Rigid Surface Technology) II means that Monitor Audio can use a thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CAM cone to provide greater speed and accuracy with reduced distortion.
- C-CAM Cone: A new aluminum alloy has been selected for the the C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) RST II cone woofer which improves the tensile strength of the cone, while maintaining all the benefits of C-CAM technology. This allows the thin and light aluminum cone to handle more power and higher volume levels without compromising the sound. In addition, the woofer's large motor and magnet structure offers high levels of electrical damping for controlled, punchy bass that starts and stops with exceptional timing. The woofer also utilizes a 28.5mm voice coil that allows higher power handling capability with reduced risk of damaging the speaker.
- DCM Technology: The C-CAM woofer incorporates DCM (Damped Concentric Mode) Technology that optimizes cone and surround geometry to dampen the main cone's resonance to product a more accurate time response from the speaker for a better audio listening experience.
- RST (Rigid Surface Technology) II: Monitor Audio's new Rigid Surface Technology (RST) II pattern has been evolved to give the C-CAM woofer cone a more rigid profile with a new hexagonal dimpled structure. RST II is more than just a pattern on the cone; it represents a collection of technologies that improves the overall performance of the driver. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The unique shape and dimpled pattern of RST II also helps to displace standing waves that can generate on the cone's surface for a cleaner midbass/bass sound with low distortion.
3" Midrange Driver: The Silver Series 500 7G floorstanding loudspeaker utilizes a dedicated 3" C-CAM RST II midrange driver that delivers smooth and natural midrange, as well as clear and detailed vocals without breakup. The 3" midrange driver uses the same C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium), RST (Rigid Surface Technology) II, and DCM (Damped Concentric Mode) technologies as the dual 8" woofers. The smaller 3" diameter cone increases the bandwidth of the midrange driver making the crossover to the tweeter smoother, while also reducing distortion of the midrange. The compact size of the midrange provides excellent directivity and increases the listening area. A small surround around the midrange cone avoids resonances in the cirtical midrange frequency region.
- Large Voice Coil: A larger 35mm diameter voice coil is used to increase structural rigidity and power handling, so the midrange driver can produce high sound pressure levels with reduced risk of damaging the speaker.
- Neodymium Magnet: The magnet on the midrange driver has been uprgraded from Ferrite to Neodymium to reduce the size of the magnet, plus increase its strength and enable higher efficiency.
High Quality Crossover Network: The Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G employs a high-quality crossover network (LF=800Hz, MF/HF=2.7kHz) with premium grade, bespoke polypropylene film capacitors, air-core and low-loss laminated steel-core inductors to seamlessly blend the sound of the tweeter, midrange, and woofers together for a natural sounding audio image. Pureflow silver-plated OFC copper internal cabling means the highest-quality transfer throughout the signal chain.
HiVe II Bass Reflex Ports: The Silver 500 7G floorstanding loudspeaker features a dual-chamber bass reflex cabinet with two rear-firing ports for the dual 8" woofers. The dual-camber bass reflex cabinet provides greater efficiency, better midbass detail, and bigger bass response from a slim floorstanding speaker. The Silver 300's bass reflex enclosure utilizes Monitor Audio's HiVe II port design that is shaped to have the same effect on airflow as a gun-barrel on a bullet. Rifled grooves inside the port help to accelerate the flow and reduce turbulence, so air moves in and out of the port more efficiently, for a faster more dynamic bass response.
Note: If the bass is too boomy, you can insert the included foam port plugs (one or both) into the speaker's rear-firing ports to tighten and lessen the bass.
Rigid Construction: Strategic cabinet bracing and Monitor Audio's bolt-through technology creates an amazingly solid speaker. Not only can it play louder and cleaner than its size suggests, it delivers an incredibly well balanced, pure midrange for a natural sound. Design criteria ensure that the Silver Series 500 7G will make the most of smaller living spaces by being placed close to a wall and yet still deliver clean, punchy bass. You will only hear well-balanced, pure midrange and midbass without ever a hint of box coloration.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter, midrange, and woofers are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
- MDF Enclosure w/ Magnetic Grille: The Silver Series 500 7G employs a MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration. In addition, the floorstanding speaker comes with an acoustically transparent magnetic cloth grille.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Silver Series 500 7G floorstanding loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade-lugs, & banana plugs (single only). To use banana plugs, you will need to remove each binding post's plastic insert. Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Application: The Monitor Audio Silver Series 500 7G floorstanding loudspeaker can be used for the front or rear channels in a home theater system, or as a single pair in a strictly two-channel stereo system.
- Front Placement: As front channels in a home theater setup or as a 2ch speaker system, the floorstanding loudspeaker should be positioned so they create an equidistant triangle between the speakers and your main listening position. The speakers should be positioned 6'-10' apart from one another, 12"-24" from the back wall, and at least 3' from the side walls. The speakers can be "toed" in and angled toward the main listening position to create a more distinct stereo image.
- Rear Placement: As rear speakers in a home theater setup, the speakers should be positioned directly to the left and right of your main listening position, or directly behind the main listening position. The speakers should be positioned 6'-10' apart from one another, 12"-24" from the back wall, and at least 3' from the side walls.
Outrigger Feet: The Silver Series 500 7G floorstanding speaker includes four outrigger feet which will need to be installed and screwed into the bottom of the speaker cabinet (hardware included). Each outrigger assembly comes with a rubber foot pre-installed for hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. Spikes are also included for carpeted flooring. The spikes screw into the bottom of the rubber foot on the outrigger feet.
- Dimensions with Rubber Feet: 12.6875" (w) x 42.6875" (h) x 15.4375" (d)
- Dimensions with Spike Feet: 12.6875" (w) x 43.1875" (h) x 15.4375" (d)
Note: Do not use the speakers without the outrigger feet installed. The feet add greater stability and aid in higher quality sound reproduction. The rubber feet and spikes cannot be used without the outriggers installed.
Silver Series 7G: Now in its 7th generation, the Silver Series embodies Monitor Audio's decades of audio expertise. Thanks to a choice of real-wood veneers or beautifully painted and finished cabinets, these speakers have a refined, understated look that is the perfect counterpoint to their bold, powerful sound. With class-leading performance through Monitor Audio's latest metal coned drivers with Rigid Surface Technology II, the music you love is more precise, with less distortion than ever. Monitor Audio's Silver Series 7G consists of a three floorstanding loudspeakers (500 7G / 300 7G / 200 7G), two bookshelf loudspeakers (100 7G / 50 7G), one center-channel speaker (C250 7G), a surround speaker (FX 7G), and a Dolby Atmos enabled speaker (AMS 7G) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add more powerful, deep, and impactful bass to the Silver Series 7G loudspeakers with a Monitor Audio powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
The Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G replaces these items
1 question already asked