About the Monitor Audio SB-4
Monitor Audio quality for your front soundstage
Monitor Audio quality for your front soundstage
The SB-4 may look like an oversized version of a regular sound bar, but this passive speaker is engineered with Monitor Audio's premium cabinet and driver technologies for truly high-performance home theater. The high-density MDF cabinet is internally braced, creating a rigid, low-resonance enclosure.
Inside you'll find 4" woofer cones and 1" dome tweeters that are made of C-CAM — a high-tech ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy. This exceptionally stiff, lightweight material allows the drivers to respond swiftly and precisely to the audio signal for greater accuracy. The tweeters also get an anodized coating of gold that helps ensure smooth, extended highs.
The bar has three separate driver arrays. The left and right channels each include a single tweeter, dual mid/bass drivers, and an ABR (Auxiliary Bass Radiator). The center channel has the same, but with an extra ABR. The racetrack-style ABRs supplement the mid/bass drivers to provide additional bass punch and power handling.
Monitor Audio's SB-4 has integrated silicon feet for secure cabinet-top placement.
Designed with larger screens in mind
The SB-4 is huge — over 5 feet wide, in fact, so it's a great match for screens that are 70 inches and larger. As the TV or movie action pans from side to side, the sound will follow it smoothly.
And with a wraparound grille cloth and brushed aluminum endcaps, the bar will look great whether it's placed on your entertainment center or mounted on your wall (bracket sold separately).
Make sure you have what you need
Most sound bars that we offer are completely self-contained, self-powered speaker systems. But the SB-4 needs a separate home theater receiver for power and TV connections. In addition to a receiver, you might consider getting a powered subwoofer to fill out the low end, especially in larger rooms.
- includes separate left, center, and right channels in a single sound bar speaker design
- non-powered — connects to your home theater receiver's front three channels
- handles up to 80 watts per channel
- designed for TV screen sizes 70" and larger
- frequency response 70-30,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- three 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeters for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response (one per channel)
- six 4" C-CAM mid/bass drivers for clear midrange and punchy bass (two per channel)
- four Auxiliary Bass Radiators
- one each in left and right channels
- two in center channel
- integrated silicon feet for cabinet-top placement
- designed to fit SANUS TV mounting systems
- optional wall-mount bracket sold separately
- 3 sets of gold-plated binding post speaker terminals (one set per channel)
- 61-1/2"W x 5-13/16"H x 3-5/8"D
- weight: 26.44 lbs.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SB4B
What's in the box:
- Passive soundbar loudspeaker
- 4 Screws
- Owners Manual
- Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio SB-4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio SB-4
Features & specs
|Amplification||Separate Receiver Required|
|Number Of Channels||3|
|Optical Digital Inputs||None|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||No|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (3)|
|Woofer||4" Cone (6)|
|System Frequency Response||70-30k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||0|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||N/A|
|HDR Video Compatible||N/A|
|Control by App||No|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||N/A|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Optional|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||5-13/16H x 61-1/2W x 3-5/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||26.44 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||No Subwoofer|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||Lifetime|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||Lifetime|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||N/A|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||N/A|
3-Channel Passive Soundbar Loudspeaker: The Monitor Audio SB-4 is a passive soundbar with three separate driver arrays for left, center, and right channels inside a single loudspeaker cabinet. Twin 4" C-CAM midrange/midbass drivers, twin ABRs (Auxiliary Bass Radiators), and a single 1" C-CAM tweeter in the center section provide the SB-4 with higher acoustic output and power handling for critical center channel reproduction. This is combined with twin 4" C-CAM midrange/midbass drivers, one ABR driver, and a 1" C-CAM tweeter for each of the left and right channels.
C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) Driver Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Monitor Audio SB-4, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum. Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy driver is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional drivers are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM drivers have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
- 1" C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeters: The 1" C-CAM Gold dome tweeters provide high level of performance from a compact tweeter assembly. The new tweeter vents internally through a special housing and around the outside of the magnet system into a rear loading chamber for much lower resonance and better damping. The result is more accurate, distortion-free sound at lower high frequencies. A special horn loaded face plate offers excellent integration with the bass drivers and consistent off axis performance to give uniform coverage around the room.
- 4" Concave C-CAM Midrange/Midbass Drivers: The 4" midrange/midbass drivers feature concave C-CAM cone technology, formed from a continuous uninterrupted dish, which ensures the center section is rigid as possible for extra strength. They are driven by a specifically designed coupling assembly which adds de-coupling and significantly reduces distortion.
ABR (Auxiliary Bass Reflex) Design: The Monitor Audio SB-4 passive soundbar loudspeaker's performance is enhanced by using compact, flat diaphragm "racetrack" style Auxiliary Bass Radiators (ABRs) to provide additional bass punch, increased power handling, and removal of turbulent air noise.
MDF Cabinet w/ Seamless Cloth Grille: The Monitor Audio SB-4's cabinet is made with high-density MDF that is braced internally for maximum rigidity. The bolt through technology utilized on the bass and tweeter drivers give extra strength to create an incredibly stiff and low resonance cabinet for clear, defined audio reproduction. The speaker cabinet is finished in a special seamless cloth to provide ideal acoustical transparency, and is combined with solid brushed-aluminum ends for a seamless, elegant and discrete appearance.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The drivers are individually mounted on a through-bolt which fixes at the back of the cabinet and tensions the driver at the front. Cleverly this triple-action feature braces the cabinet structure for lower box coloration while removing the need for conventional front fixings, reducing unwanted driver/cabinet resonance and simultaneously boosting aesthetics.
- 3 Discrete Sections: Three sections (Left, Center, Rear) within the cabinet are partitioned and operate purely as discrete channels with the crossover also split in an identical way. The result is a sound bar that can play loud, clean and free from any distortion.
Gold-Plated Binding Posts: High quality, low profile, gold-plated binding posts provide an easy and trouble-free connection, with the terminals recessed neatly to enable a flush to wall installation. The gold-plated binding posts provide excellent audio signal transfer and resistance to corrosion. The binding-posts fit bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). There is a set of binding posts for the soundbar's Left, Center, and Rear channels.
Note: You'll need to remove the platic inserts from the binding-post terminals in order to insert banana plug connectors.
Mounting Options: The Monitor Audio SB-4 is custom-built for screen sizes 70" and larger. The soundbar should be centered under or above your TV. Integrated silicon feet provide secure cabinet-top mounting. The SB-4 can also be wall-mounted using an optional wall bracket (sold separately).
Note: The soundbar should be positioned as close to your TV as possible to minimize any potential "gaps" in sound, and ensuring the dialogue sound appears to originate from the TV itself.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: The SB-4 passive soundbar loudspeaker can be used with a partnering powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to provide the best possible experience and increased system power handling.
Optional Surround Speakers: Add a pair of Monitor Audio surround or bookshelf loudspeakers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) as rear speakers for 5-channel home theater surround sound.
4 questions already asked