About the Monitor Audio Silver C150
The centerpiece of your Silver Series system
The centerpiece of your Silver Series system
Building a Monitor Audio Silver Series home theater system? Then consider the Silver C150 as your all-important center channel. This superbly crafted speaker offers crystal clear dialogue and lifelike center-stage sound effects. And it's voice-matched to all of the speakers in the Silver Series lineup, so you get tonally consistent sound throughout your home theater system.
Monitor Audio's Silver C150 center channel features two 5-1/4" woofers and a 1" gold dome tweeter (shown in walnut with grille removed).
High-quality sealed cabinet
The warm, natural sound of the Silver C150 is in part due to its carefully designed rock-solid enclosure, which resists vibrations that can color sound and reduce clarity. Its sealed design lets you place it inside an entertainment cabinet or position it close to a wall, without worrying about speaker ports needing to "breathe."
Powerful drivers and an advanced crossover
The Silver C150's 1" gold dome tweeter uses a rigid-but-lightweight design that delivers realistic reproduction of dialogue. It's positioned between two 5-1/4" woofers, which provide sonic depth and punch to special effects. An advanced crossover network ties the trio of drivers together and ensures smooth, full-range sound throughout the speaker's frequency range.
Build a complete Monitor Audio Silver system
Complete your Silver Series home theater system with these voice-matched speakers:
Round out the low end with the powerful Silver W12 powered subwoofer.
- 2.5-way design
- frequency response: 52-35,000 Hz (-6dB)
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 60-150 watts
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- dual 5-1/4" C-CAM woofers with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- one woofer handles bass frequencies, the other handles midrange frequencies
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity
- sealed (acoustic suspension) enclosure
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for smooth, full-range sound
- dual gold-plated five-way binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- beautiful rosenut wood veneer finish
- removable magnetic grille
- 17-11/16"W x 6-1/2"H x 9"D
- weight: 20 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SC150RN
What's in the box:
- Center-channel loudspeakers
- 2 Jumpers (pre-installed)
- 4 Rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio Silver C150 reviews
Very good improvement to most systems. Little bulky but great sound!
0 of 0 found this helpful
Mine has the gloss black finish and looks great. I noticed a big differance in the sound quality, much improved over my older Monitor Gold center speaker. I'm very happy with this purchase. I will be replacing my older Monitor left and right speakers with the silver 100's when I save up a little more money.
Pros: Sound and looks,
0 of 0 found this helpful
I replaced my 20 year old B&W center speaker with this Monitor C150. Size constraints made this the choice (the 350 would not fit our home theater cabinet). The dialog and bass is improved. I thought the Monitor would suffer as it is not ported, however the bass is very good. This has been a nice improvement. The unit offered a bi-wire option, while contriversial is a nice option. I use a Marantz 7010 and a 5.2 set up. I am happy with our purchase, Crutchfield makes the purchase experience comfortable. The unit arrived quickly!
1 of 1 found this helpful
More details on the Monitor Audio Silver C150
Features & specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/4|
|Frequency Response||52-35k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Silver Series: Revered by audiophiles around the globe, Monitor Audio's award-winning Silver Series enters its sixth generation with a host of new features that make it perform even better than previous generations. Monitor Audio's Silver Series combines engineering excellence with fabulous design to create an audiophile-grade hi-fi or home theatre loudspeaker. The Silver Series loudspeakers produce abundant dynamics, rich textures, and immense detail that allow you to enjoy absolute clarity and pinpoint imaging.
Note: The Silver Series consists of bookshelf loudspeakers (50/100), floorstanding loudspeakers (200/300/500), center-channel loudspeakers (C150/C350), and a surround loudspeaker (FX), plus a powered subwoofer (W-12) to create a complete home theater system.
2.5-Way Center-Channel Loudspeaker: Monitor Audio's Silver C150 center-channel loudspeaker has been designed electrically to be a 2.5-way configuration, which provides better dispersion and elimination of the central "dead spot" exhibited in the typical mid-tweeter-mid (MTM) configurations. Its 2.5-way/3-driver configuration consists of a 1" C-CAM Gold Dome tweeter and two new 5.25" C-CAM RST midbass concave "dished" woofers. The pair of 5.25" drivers share the duties of delivering bass and midbass and are in separate acoustic chambers within the enclosure to provide differential tuning, and are divided optimally with crossovers to ensure both midbass/bass drivers contribute to the lower frequencies. This ensures only the midrange crosses over with the tweeter and results in a consistent and precise image, on and off axis.
- 1" Tweeter: The newly 1" C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) Gold Dome tweeter, features a vented Neo magnet system, optimized for lower distortion and cleaner sounding treble. This innovative venting technique along with a damped rear chamber improves clarity and widens operating bandwidth. This brand new 1" C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) Gold Dome tweeter delivers articulate dialogue and crisp dynamics to movies while complementing the quality of the new Silver range effortlessly.
- Dual 5.25" Woofers: The ultra-compact Silver C150 introduces a completely new version of Monitor Audio's special 5.25" C-CAM RST midbass woofer with a concave "dished" cone profile for optimal damping and improved midrange clarity. The two 5.25" woofers are constructed with massive magnetic systems and cast polymer chassis capable of deep bass extension with excellent rigidity and damping characteristics. Each C-CAM woofer also utilizes a unique build ring/voice coil-cone coupling mechanism (DCF), optimized to reduce high-frequency cone break-up and increase the critical voice coil circumferential rigidity.
- High Quality Crossovers: The Monitor Audio Silver C150 employs high-quality crossovers (LF/MF=650Hz, MF/HF=3.1kHz) with premium grade, bespoke polypropylene film capacitors, air-core and low-loss laminated steel-core inductors to seamlessly blend the sound of the tweeter and woofers together for a natural sounding audio image. Pureflow silver-plated OFC copper internal cabling means the highest-quality transfer throughout the signal chain.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Monitor Audio Silver Series loudspeaker line-up, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter found in the Silver Series family of loudspeakers is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Woofers: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is used to construct the woofer cone in the Silver Series loudspeakers. C-CAM is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 100 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The Silver Series combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver Series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Rigid Construction: Strategic cabinet bracing and Monitor Audio's bolt-through technology creates an amazingly solid speaker. Not only can it play louder and cleaner than its size suggests, it delivers an incredibly well balanced, pure midrange for a natural sound. Design criteria ensure that the Silver C150 will make the most of smaller living spaces by being placed close to a wall and yet still deliver clean, punchy bass. You will only hear well-balanced, pure midrange without ever a hint of box coloration.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and woofer are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
- MDF Sealed Enclosure w/ Magnetic Grille: The Silver C150 employs a MDF sealed enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration. In addition, the center speaker comes with an acoustically transparent magnetic cloth grille.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Silver Series bookshelf loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, & banana plugs (single only). To use banana plugs, you will need to remove each binding post's plastic insert. Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Applications: The Silver C150 center-channel loudspeaker has been carefully tuned to match the timbre of the other speakers in Monitor Audio Silver Series line-up, resulting in a consistent sonic character across the front channels of a home theater system.
- Placement: The Silver C150 center-channel speaker should be centered above or below your TV, and positioned so that it is pointing directly at the main viewing/listening area. Ideally you want the center channel to be approximately at ear-level when seated in the main viewing/listening position.
- Mounting Options: The compact Silver C150 is diminutive enough to position easily under most AV racks and on cabinets, without resorting to a dedicated stand. The center speaker comes with self-adhesive rubber feet to prevent movement and vibration on top of a table, shelf, or stand. The rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker. Optional universal wall-mount brackets from PinPoint are available and sold separately (see accessories tab).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?