About the Monitor Audio Silver FX 7G
Bring your movies to life
Bring your movies to life
In a home theater system, your front, center, and rear speakers do most of the heavy lifting. But surround speakers like Monitor Audio's FX 7Gs add another layer of immersion and depth to your system's sound. Each of these speakers sports a pair of tweeters that fire away from each other to deliver wraparound sound effects. The front and rear baffles are angled for optimal sound dispersion throughout your room.
The Silver FX 7Gs dual 1" tweeters use Monitor's famed gold dome Ceramic-Coated Aluminum Magnesium (C-CAM) material. But this latest version has an updated waveguide designed to eliminate as much distortion as possible. The company also revamped the tweeter's magnet for tighter control of the driver, resulting in more detail across its frequency range.
The 6" mid/bass driver uses an improved C-CAM cone material, this time employing rigid surface technology for tighter mid and bass response and better dynamics. All three drivers combine to give you more engaging surround effects you can enjoy for hours on end.
Surround speakers that fit flush against your wall
The FX 7Gs have a clean look and don't take up a lot of space in your room. They owe their tidy appearance to their slim profile and sporty magnetic grille. The speakers fit flush against your wall and there are dedicated keyhole wall mounts on the rear. The speaker wire terminals are recessed into the cabinet to ensure a flush fit. The cabinet is entirely sealed, so having them against your wall won't hurt their sound a bit.
- pair of surround sound speakers for home theater
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- two 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeters for uncolored and extended high-frequency response
- 6" C-CAM woofer with Rigid Surface Technology (RST) for higher driver rigidity and reduced driver weight
- tweeters fire in opposite directions for wraparound surround sound effects
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet
- high-quality painted finish
- keyhole brackets for easy wall-mounting
- switch for toggling between di-pole or bi-pole operation
- recessed speaker terminals
- frequency response: 81-35,000 Hz (-6 dB)
- sensitivity: 87.5 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 30-85 watts RMS
- removable magnetic grilles
- 12-1/4"W x 9-13/16"H x 5-13/16"D (including grilles)
- weight: 9.43 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SILVER FX 7G BG
What's in the box:
- 2 Surround loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Wall-Mount Template
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio Silver FX 7G
Features & specs
|Bipole or Dipole||Bipole/Dip|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||6|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Frequency Response||60-35k Hz|
|Height (inches)||9 13/16|
|Width (inches)||12 1/4|
|Depth (inches)||5 13/16|
|Bracket Included||Fixed keyhole mount|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Dipole/Bipole Switch: The Monitor Audio Silver FX 7G surround speaker's dispersion characteristics can be easily changed with a rear-panel switch to accommodate the precise requirements for dipole or bipole orientation, giving it maximum flexibility in multi-channel home theater system installations. Each speaker has a switch on the back-panel to select bipole or dipole mode. Before changing your FX 7G's from bipole mode to dipole mode, please ensure that the speaker wires are disconnected from the loudspeakers. This helps to protect your amplifier and speakers. The factory setting is bipole.
- Bipole Mode: In bipole mode, all drivers (tweeters and midbass) are in phase. This feature is designed for when the FX 7G is set up as rear/surround speakers in a typical 5.1 channel system, or alternatively in a 7.1 channel system without a second pair of FX 7G speakers for rear/surround duties.
- Dipole Mode: In dipole mode, the rear firing tweeters are out of phase with the other tweeter and midbass driver. It is best to implement this configuration when using two pairs of FX 7G speakers as part of a 7.1 channel system, with the FX 7G taking up positions on the side and rear walls.
Note: The Silver FX 7G speakers are labeled specifically for right and left. When using two pairs of Silver FX 7G speakers in a 7.1 system, you need to use the Right speaker for the rear surround left and the Left speaker for the rear surround right. This is because of the tweeter phasing.
Twin 1" Tweeter: The Monitor Audio Silver Series FX 7G surround loudspeaker uses two newly designed 1" C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) Gold Dome tweeters featuring a completely redesigned magnet structure, new rear chamber design, an advanced surround, as well as an upgraded UD (Uniform Dispersion) Waveguide II for refined high frequency sound.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome: The tweeter's strong, but lightweight 25mm C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) diaphragm ensures that the diaphragm acts as a rigid piston through the pass band, while the breakup frequency is pushed well above the audible range. The new ring magnet structure increases the tweeter's linear excursion and power handling capabilities. An improved surround material is used around the tweeter to help with damping and improve high frequency performance. The rear-side of the surround is vented around the outside of the magnet structure and into the main chamber to reduce a build up of energy to produce cleaner high frequencies with lower distortion.
- UD (Uniform Dispersion) Waveguide II: The tweeter's integrated Uniform Dispersion (UD) Waveguide II produces even dispersion characteristics, improved time alignment so the wave fronts from both tweeter and drivers will reach the listener simultaneously, plus lower crossover frequency for wider directivity. Building on the original UD Waveguide, this new design adds a compression ring above the surround and dome increasing the tweeter's sensitivity above 10kHz. The increased sensitivity helps to flatten the frequency response whilst also reducing the distortion. The waveguide's geometry has also been optimized to work with the new compression ring. In addition, the tweeter's new grille design further refines the optimized diffusion pattern of the tweeter's UD Waveguide II. Together, this results in reduced distortion across the entire operating high frequency band for a more comfortable listening experience.
6" Woofer: The Silver Series FX 7G surround loudspeaker houses a completely new version of Monitor Audio's special 6" C-CAM RST II midbass woofer with a concave "dished" cone profile for optimal damping and improved midrange/midbass clarity. The integration RST (Rigid Surface Technology) II means that Monitor Audio can use a thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CAM cone to provide greater speed and accuracy with reduced distortion.
- C-CAM Cone: A new aluminum alloy has been selected for the the C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) RST II cone woofer which improves the tensile strength of the cone, while maintaining all the benefits of C-CAM technology. This allows the thin and light aluminum cone to handle more power and higher volume levels without compromising the sound. In addition, the woofer's large motor and magnet structure offers high levels of electrical damping for controlled, punchy bass that starts and stops with exceptional timing. The woofer also utilizes a 28.5mm voice coil that allows higher power handling capability with reduced risk of damaging the speaker.
- DCM Technology: The C-CAM woofer incorporates DCM (Damped Concentric Mode) Technology that optimizes cone and surround geometry to dampen the main cone's resonance to product a more accurate time response from the speaker for a better audio listening experience.
- RST (Rigid Surface Technology) II: Monitor Audio's new Rigid Surface Technology (RST) II pattern has been evolved to give the C-CAM woofer cone a more rigid profile with a new hexagonal dimpled structure. RST II is more than just a pattern on the cone; it represents a collection of technologies that improves the overall performance of the driver. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The unique shape and dimpled pattern of RST II also helps to displace standing waves that can generate on the cone's surface for a cleaner midrange/midbass sound with low distortion.
High Quality Crossover: The Monitor Audio Silver FX 7G employs a high-quality crossover (2,00Hz) with premium grade, bespoke polypropylene film capacitors, air-core and low-loss laminated steel-core inductors to seamlessly blend the sound of the tweeter and woofer together for a natural sounding audio image. Pureflow silver-plated OFC copper internal cabling means the highest-quality transfer throughout the signal chain.
Rigid Construction: Strategic cabinet bracing and Monitor Audio's bolt-through technology creates an amazingly solid speaker. Not only can it play louder and cleaner than its size suggests, it delivers an incredibly well balanced, pure midrange for a natural sound. Design criteria ensure that the Silver Series FX 7G will make the most of smaller living spaces by being placed close to a wall and yet still deliver clean, punchy bass. You will only hear well-balanced, pure midrange and midbass without ever a hint of box coloration.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and woofer are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
- Sealed MDF Enclosure: The Silver FX 7G employs a sealed MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration.
Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Silver FX 7G is outfitted with gold-plated binding post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade connectors, and banana plugs (single only). To use banana plugs, you will need to remove each binding post's plastic insert. The binding post terminals are recessed so they don't interfere with mounting the speaker on your wall.
Applications: This wall-mountable two-way loudspeaker offers dual dispersion characteristics for the perfect surround sound set-up. The Silver FX 7G can be used as surround or surround back speakers in a home theater setup.
- Placement Options: As Surround speakers in a home theater setup, the Silver FX 7G speakers should be positioned directly to the left and right of your main listening position. As Surround Back speakers, the Silver FX 7G should be placed directly behind the main listening area and positioned 6'-10' apart.
- Mounting Options: The Silver FX 7G can be flush-mounted on side or rear walls where it blends unobtrusively with any interior. Two keyhole slots on the rear-panel of each speaker allow for wall-mounting. The surround speakes should be mounted at least 2' above the listener. A wall-mount template is included to help position the speaker on your wall (mounting screws not included). They can also be placed on speaker stands (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Silver Series 7G: Now in its 7th generation, the Silver Series embodies Monitor Audio's decades of audio expertise. Thanks to a choice of real-wood veneers or beautifully painted and finished cabinets, these speakers have a refined, understated look that is the perfect counterpoint to their bold, powerful sound. With class-leading performance through Monitor Audio's latest metal coned drivers with Rigid Surface Technology II, the music you love is more precise, with less distortion than ever. Monitor Audio's Silver Series 7G consists of a three floorstanding loudspeakers (500 7G / 300 7G / 200 7G), two bookshelf loudspeakers (100 7G / 50 7G), one center-channel speaker (C250 7G), a surround speaker (FX 7G), and a Dolby Atmos enabled speaker (AMS 7G) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add more powerful, deep, and impactful bass to the Silver Series 7G loudspeakers with a Monitor Audio powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
The Monitor Audio Silver FX 7G replaces these items
- dual tweeters fire sound in different directions for wraparound sound effects
- 6" woofer delivers smooth midrange and punchy bass
- dipole/bipole switch offers easy toggling between surround modes