About the Monitor Audio Silver FX
Treat yourself to true surround sound
Treat yourself to true surround sound
We carry lots of satellite and bookshelf speakers that can be used for side- or rear-channel sound effects. But most of them only project sound in one direction. The Monitor Audio Silver FX are "true" surround sound speakers — each one uses two tweeters that fire in different directions, providing atmospheric special effects that make you feel like you're part of the action on the screen.
Each Silver FX surround speaker features a pair of tweeters that fire in opposite directions for wraparound sound effects (shown in walnut with grille removed).
Flexible placement options for your room
One of my favorite features of the Silver FX speakers is how adaptable they are to your room. On the back of each speaker is a dipole/bipole switch that offers easy toggling between surround modes. The dipole setting puts the tweeters out of phase, giving you diffuse sound. That's ideal when you're placing the speakers to the sides of your listening area.
The bipole setting puts the tweeters in phase, which gives you more direct sound. That's the best option for when the speakers are placed behind your listening position, or if you're using these speakers as part of an object-based surround system like Dolby Atmos® or DTS:X™.
High-quality drivers deliver sparkling sound
Each cabinet houses two 1" gold dome tweeters for clear, detailed highs and realistic sound effects. A 6" C-CAM woofer delivers smooth midrange and punchy bass. Monitor Audio uses an advanced crossover network to ensure smooth, full-range sound throughout this speaker's frequency range.
Build a complete Monitor Audio Silver system
Complete your Silver Series home theater system with these voice-matched speakers:
Round out the low end with the powerful Silver W12 powered subwoofer.
- frequency response: 60-35,000 Hz (-6dB)
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 30-85 watts
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 6" C-CAM woofer with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity
- acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for smooth, full-range sound
- gold-plated five-way binding post speaker terminals
- beautiful high-gloss black finish
- removable magnetic grille
- 12-11/16"W x 9-13/16"H x 5-13/16"D
- weight: 9.5 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SFXBG
What's in the box:
- 2 Surround loudspeakers
- 6 Grilles
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Wall-Mount Template
Monitor Audio Silver FX reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio Silver FX
Features & specs
|Bipole or Dipole||Bipole/Dip|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||6|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Frequency Response||60-35k Hz|
|Height (inches)||9 7/8|
|Width (inches)||12 11/16|
|Depth (inches)||5 15/16|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Silver Series: Revered by audiophiles around the globe, Monitor Audio's award-winning Silver Series enters its sixth generation with a host of new features that make it perform even better than previous generations. Monitor Audio's Silver Series combines engineering excellence with fabulous design to create an audiophile-grade hi-fi or home theatre loudspeaker. The Silver Series loudspeakers produce abundant dynamics, rich textures, and immense detail that allow you to enjoy absolute clarity and pinpoint imaging.
Note: The Silver Series consists of bookshelf loudspeakers (50/100), floorstanding loudspeakers (200/300/500), center-channel loudspeakers (C150/C350), and a surround loudspeaker (FX), plus a powered subwoofer (W-12) to create a complete home theater system.
Two-Way Surround Speaker: The Monitor Audio Silver series FX loudspeaker has been specially designed as a surround or surround back speaker. Its discreetly profiled angled baffle design incorporates a single front-mounted 6" C-CAM/RST midbass driver and twin side-mounted 1" C-CAM tweeters.
- Twin 1" Tweeters: The newly 1" C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) Gold Dome tweeter, features a vented Neo magnet system, optimized for lower distortion and cleaner sounding treble. This innovative venting technique along with a damped rear chamber improves clarity and widens operating bandwidth.
- 6" Woofer: The Silver FX introduces a completely new version of Monitor Audio's special 6" C-CAM RST midbass woofer with a concave "dished" cone profile for optimal damping and improved midrange clarity. The C-CAM woofer also utilizes a unique build ring/voice coil-cone coupling mechanism (DCF), optimized to reduce high-frequency cone break-up and increase the critical voice coil circumferential rigidity. A cast polymer driver chassis design provides improved rigidity and damping characteristics.
- High Quality Crossover: The Monitor Audio Silver FX employs a high-quality crossover (2,500Hz) with premium grade, bespoke polypropylene film capacitors, air-core and low-loss laminated steel-core inductors to seamlessly blend the sound of the tweeters and woofer together for a natural sounding audio image. Pureflow silver-plated OFC copper internal cabling means the highest-quality transfer throughout the signal chain.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Monitor Audio Silver Series loudspeaker line-up, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter found in the Silver Series family of loudspeakers is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Woofer: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is used to construct the woofer cone in the Silver Series loudspeakers. C-CAM is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The Silver Series combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver Series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Dipole/Bipole Switch: The Silver FX's dispersion characteristics can be easily changed with a rear-panel switch to accommodate the precise requirements for dipole or bipole orientation, giving it maximum flexibility in multi-channel system installations. Each speaker has a switch on the back-panel to select bipole or dipole mode. Before changing your FX's from bipole mode to dipole mode, please ensure that the speaker wires are disconnected from the loudspeakers. This helps to protect your amplifier and speakers. The factory setting is bipole.
- Bipole Mode: In bipole mode, all drivers (tweeters and midbass) are in phase. This feature is designed for when the FX is set up as a rear/surround speaker in a typical 5.1 channel system, or alternatively in a 7.1 channel system without a second pair of FX's for rear/surround duties.
- Dipole Mode: In dipole mode, the rear firing tweeters are out of phase with the other tweeter and midbass driver. It is best to implement this configuration when using two pairs of FX's as part of a 7.1 channel system, with the FX's taking up positions on the side and rear walls.
Note: The Silver FX are labeled specifically for right and left. When using two pairs of Silver FX's in a 7.1 system, you need to use the Right speaker for the rear surround left and the Left speaker for the rear surround right. This is because of the tweeter phasing.
Rigid Construction: Strategic cabinet bracing and Monitor Audio's bolt-through technology creates an amazingly solid speaker. Not only can it play louder and cleaner than its size suggests, it delivers an incredibly well balanced, pure midrange for a natural sound. Design criteria ensure that the Silver FX will make the most of smaller living spaces by being placed close to a wall and yet still deliver clean, punchy bass. You will only hear well-balanced, pure midrange without ever a hint of box coloration.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and woofer are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
- Sealed MDF Enclosure: The Silver FX employs a sealed MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration.
Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Silver FX is fitted with gold-plated binding post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade connectors, and banana plugs (single only). To use banana plugs, you will need to remove each binding post's plastic insert. The binding post terminals are recessed so they don't interfere with mounting the speaker on your wall.
Applications: This wall-mountable compact two-way speaker offers dual dispersion characteristics for the perfect surround sound set-up. The Silver FX can be used a surround or surround back speakers in a home theater setup.
- Placement Options: As Surround speakers in a home theater setup, the Silver FX speakers should be positioned directly to the left and right of your main listening position. As Surround Back speakers, the Silver FX should be placed directly behind the main listening area and positioned 6'-10' apart.
- Mounting Options: The Silver FX can be flush-mounted on side or rear walls where it blends unobtrusively with any interior. Two keyhole slots on the rear-panel of each speaker allow for wall-mounting. These keyhole slots are spaced 7.9375" apart. A wall-mount template is included to help position the speaker on your wall (mounting screws not included). They can also be placed on speaker stands (sold separately).
1 question already asked