About the Monitor Audio Silver 1
Big-speaker sound in a compact package
Big-speaker sound in a compact package
Monitor Audio's Silver 1 may look like a bookshelf speaker, but it delivers the kind of high-end sound that will make you think you're listening to a speaker several times its size. Capable of lighting up any small- to medium-sized room with drop-dead accurate midrange and detailed highs, the Silver 1 makes an excellent choice for high-end stereo or home theater systems. Add one of Monitor Audio's Silver W12 powered subwoofers for thunderous bass response, then bask in the "oohs" and "ahhs" of your guests at your next music listening session or movie night.
Excellence by design
Every Silver series speaker incorporates Monitor Audio's gold dome tweeter for smooth, detailed highs. The domes are made from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. The domes are then anodized with a layer of gold for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Their extremely low mass and high rigidity allow these tweeters to play accurately far beyond the range of human hearing with little to no audible distortion, making them an excellent choice for high-resolution music listening.
The speaker's tight, powerful bass and dynamic midrange come courtesy of the Silver 1's 6-1/2" woofer with Rigid Surface Technology. Created from the same lightweight alloy as the tweeters, these drivers are strengthened and stiffened even further by adding a pattern of dimples to the surface of the cone. The dimples help resist bending and twisting that cause distortion while allowing the use of thinner, lighter, more responsive cones.
Further refinements to ensure powerful performance
Meticulous engineering and many hours of listening go into each Silver series speaker. Monitor paid close attention to important design elements — both visible and hidden. At its heart, the Silver 2 uses a sophisticated crossover network with premium-grade components. Monitor also chose their Pureflow® Silver-plated OFC wire to make all internal cabling connections. Together, these refinements provide better driver integration and faster transients for smooth sound with real presence and immediacy.
Instead of conventional mounting screws, each driver is held in place using a single tensioned rod, or through-bolt, that threads into its back plate then secures to the back of the cabinet. The bolt not only acts as a rigid cabinet brace to reduce box coloration, it also eliminates the need for traditional driver mounting hardware, effectively decoupling the driver and front baffle to eliminate another source of unwanted resonance. The lack of visible mounting hardware also adds to the overall look of elegance.
Monitor thoroughly engineered the Silver 1's bass-reflex port,as well. This new type of port design utilizes straight, rifled grooves inside the port to accelerate air flow and reduce turbulence compared to conventional ports. This ability to move air in and out of the cabinet more quickly provides faster, more powerful bass and superior transient response.
A solid cabinet with a luxurious finish
Monitor Audio speakers have long been known for their sturdy, vault-like cabinet construction. The Silver 1's enclosure is built solid to resist vibration that can color sound and reduce accuracy. The exterior comes clad in a beautifully finished real walnut or black oak wood veneer. Monitor tops off each speaker with an attractive "floating" magnetic grille that features invisible attachments to give the Silver 1 a clean, classic look whether you use them with the grilles on or off.
- frequency response: 45-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 40-100 watts
- impedance: 8 ohms
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material used to provide high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 6" C-CAM woofer with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity for greater clarity and resolution
- bass reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for reduced turbulence and higher velocity airflow
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for greater accuracy
- Pureflow® Silver plated oxygen-free copper internal wiring
- dual five-way binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- 7-5/16"W x 12-5/16"H x 10-13/16"D
- weight: 15.25 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SILVER1W
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- 8 Rubber feet
- 2 Foam port plugs
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio Silver 1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio Silver 1
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6|
|Frequency Response||45-35k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||30-31|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio Silver series 1 bookshelf loudspeaker employs a two-way driver design with a single 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter and one 6" C-CAM/RST midrange/midbass woofer. Its high output and dynamic delivery make the Silver 1 an ideal choice for small to medium rooms in two-channel stereo or multi-channel cinema systems.
- Newly Designed Tweeter: A new C-CAM gold dome tweeter design with damped rear chamber and innovative dome venting technique improves clarity and widens operating bandwidth.
- Concave "Dished" Woofer: The 6" midrange/midbass driver features a concave "dished" C-CAM cone profile for better damping and improved midrange and midbass clarity.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM driver technology is used throughout the Silver series 1 bookshelf loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Woofer: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
RST (Rigid Surface Technology): The Silver series 1 bookshelf speaker combines Rigid Surface Technology (RST) with its C-CAM cone woofer design for a stronger, lighter weight cone. The Rigid Surface Technology (RST) cone profile was inspired by the Japanese art of Origami, which demonstrates how a very light material (like paper) can be strengthened and made more rigid by making small and precise folds on it surface. Developed and perfect using sophisticated computer modeling (Finite Element Analysis), the Silver series midbass drivers have been strengthened by a pattern of dimples. RST significantly increases cone rigidity, allowing the radiating surfaces to resist mechanical bending forces, which can twist the shape of conventional driver cones to produce distorted sound. The strengthening effect of RST means that Monitor Audio can use thinner, lighter and more responsive C-CM cones which provide speed and accuracy while offering greatly reduced distortion. The RST patterns also help to displace standing waves that can propagate on the cone's surface.
Single Through-Bolt Mount: The tweeter and woofer are fixed to the cabinet with single through-bolt driver fixing mounts. This single-through-bolt mount design provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced midband clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
MDF Enclosure w/ Magnetic Grille: The Silver 1 employs a MDF enclosure for accurate, uncolored sound. Rigid 20mm MDF construction is used throughout the enclosure with radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet coloration. In addition, the bookshelf speaker comes with an acoustically transparent cloth grille.
HiVe II Bass Reflex Port: The Silver 1 uses a bass reflex cabinet (rear firing port) with Monitor Audio's HiVe II port design for greater efficiency and bigger bass response from a slim bookshelf speaker. The HiVe II bass reflex port is shaped to have the same effect on airflow as a gun-barrel on a bullet. Rifled grooves inside the port help to accelerate the flow and reduce turbulence, so air moves in and out of the port more efficiently, for a faster more dynamic bass response.
Note: If the bass is too boomy, you can insert the included foam port plug into the speaker's rear-firing port to tighten and lessen the bass.
High Quality Crossover & Wiring: The Silver 1 uses a high quality crossover (3,000Hz) with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors. The speaker also utilizes "Pureflow" silver plated OFC copper internal cabling.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The bookshelf loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated binding posts connected by wire-jumpers. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Mounting Options: The Silver series 1 bookshelf loudspeaker comes with self-adhesive rubber feet to help secure it in place to prevent slippage and vibration. The optional PinPoint heavy duty side-grip wall-mounting bracket (121AM41B, sold separately) can be used to wall mount the speaker.