About the Monitor Audio Studio
A speaker meant to be both heard and seen
A speaker meant to be both heard and seen
I get to research a great number of the speakers that occupy today's audio landscape. And while many sound terrific, the truth is that most rectangular box speakers look about the same. Personally, if I'm plunking down a sizeable stack of cash on new speakers, I want them to both sound and look sublime.
Thankfully, Monitor Audio is hip to this tall task — the stand-mountable Studios combine a fresh, modern look with the kind of poetically beautiful sound that the British hi-fi legend is renowned for.
The Studio is available in three beautiful satin finishes to match your room's décor.
Trickle-down technology from Monitor's flagship
One reason the Studios sound so good is that they incorporate several design characteristics from Monitor's flagship Platinum II Series.
For instance, their dual 4" C-CAM® drivers are modified versions of those used in the company's legendary Platinum PL500 II, sharing the same choice of materials and magnetic design principles.
The C-CAM woofers also use the same bolt-through driver attachment mechanism as their Platinum Series big brothers. This helps each speaker's pair of woofers deliver textured midrange, along with immediate, musical bass.
The Studios use a special 1-1/4" x 1-3/4" high-frequency transducer with MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) technology that has eight times the surface area of a typical 1" dome tweeter.
This "folded-ribbon" tweeter works like a super-fast accordion by rapidly squeezing the pleats to produce exceptionally natural, non-fatiguing highs.
A solid cabinet with a luxurious finish
Monitor Audio speakers have long been known for their sturdy, vault-like cabinet construction. The Studios' rock-solid enclosures resist vibration that can color sound and reduce accuracy.
These elegant speakers are available in three satin finishes to match your room's décor. The addition of a metal "name badge" at each base adds to their alluring grille-less design.
- pair of stand-mount speakers for music or home theater
- 1-1/4" x 1-3/4" high-frequency transducer with MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) technology for smooth, extended highs
- dual 4" C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) woofers with RDT (Rigid Diaphragm Technology)
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM cone material delivers high efficiency and low distortion
- RDT enhances stiffness and reduces mass for increased quickness and accuracy
- frequency response: 48-60,000 Hz (-6dB)
- impedance: 4 ohms
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 40-100 watts
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity
- bass-reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for minimal turbulence and high-velocity airflow
- binding posts accept pins, banana connectors, spade terminals, or bare wire
- beautiful satin gray finish
- elegant grille-less design with metal logo at the speaker's base
- designed for use with optional Monitor Audio STAND
- 6-1/4"W x 13-7/16"H x 14-1/8"D
- weight: 16.8 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Studio SG
What's in the box:
- Bookshelf loudspeaker
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Owners Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio Studio reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio Studio
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||MPD (Ribbon)|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.25 x 1.75|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||4|
|Woofer Composition||RDT II|
|Frequency Response||48-60k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-26|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) High Frequency Transducer: The MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) high frequency transducer has been designed to provide incredible articulation due to its low mass diaphragm. MPD transducers work in the same way as a super-fast accordion by rapidly squeezing the pleats to produce a smooth, wide and naturally fast response way into the ultra-sonic band (up to 100 kHz). As a result, the sound is more lifelike, releasing the high harmonic spectrum of every note without the distortion that blurs definition. There is honeycomb cover over the tweeter that helps with high frequency dispersion and imaging.
Dual 4" Midrange/Midbass Drivers: The Studio bookshelf loudspeaker's dual 4" midbass/midrange drivers are modified versions of those used in Monitor Audio's flagship Platinum PL500 II loudspeaker. Their sound is clear and natural, with a deep bass and plenty of midrange detail. The drivers are designed to be incredibly low in distortion and use the same magnetic design principles and material choice as the class-leading Platinum speakers from Monitor Audio. The dual 4" drivers utilize Monitor Audio's RDT II, C-CAM, and DCF technologies to create optimum midrange and midbass sound.
- RDT (Rigid Diaphragm Technology) II: RDT II is a composite "sandwich" structure made from ultra-thin low mass-skins, bonded to a honeycomb Nomex core material. Its very light, very strong, and responds with great speed without bending. RDT II uses C-CAM for the front skin, while the rear skin is made from a woven carbon fiber material. This structure reduces distortion by over 8 dB above 300 Hz.
- C-CAM (Ceramic Coated Aluminum/Magnesium): C-CAM is an innovative alloy material originally developed by the aerospace industry. It exhibits ideal qualities for use as loudspeaker cones, being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. C-CAM is formed from an alloy of aluminum and magnesium, which undergoes stress-relieving processes-in manufacturing to avoid surface deformation and molecular weakness. A layer of pure ceramic (alumina)is deposited onto the surfaces to produce a completely rigid exterior. C-CAM cones are designed to have high resistance to bending stress. When formed into a cone, C-CAM material provides increased clarity and reduced distortion compared to conventional cone materials.
- DCF (Dynamic Coupling Filter): The dual 4" driver's also utilize DCF (Dynamic Coupling Filter) technology to optimize and reduce high-frequency cone break-up and increase the critical voice coil circumferential rigidity.
High-grade Crossover Network: The Monitor Audio Studio's two-way crossover network incorporates high-grade polypropylene film capacitors, air-core, and laminated steel-core inductors that have been selected to preserve the best possible signal integrity and smoothest audible transition between the loudspeaker's high and low frequency drivers.
Handcrafted Grille-Less Cabinet: The Monitor Audio Studio bookshelf loudspeaker features a beautiful handcrafted enclosure that is available in a sleek satin black, white, or grey finish. The cabinet's grille-less design ensures the speaker's sound is clear and true, and lets the drivers become an eye-catching focal point.
- Single Through-Bolt Mount: The loudspeaker's drivers are individually mounted on a through-bolt which fixes at the back of the cabinet and tensions the driver at the front. Cleverly this triple-action feature braces the cabinet structure for lower box coloration while removing the need for conventional front fixings, reducing unwanted driver/cabinet resonance and simultaneously boosting aesthetics.
- HiVe II Port Technology: The Studio bookshelf loudspeaker's bass reflex enclosure is tuned using two rear mounted HiVe II ports at the top and bottom of the cabinet. The dual ports ensure the pressure inside the cabinet is symmetrically balanced and that there is no turbulence and subsequent air noise. HiVe II technology ensures air moves in and out much quicker than a conventional port, resulting in fast, powerful bass coupled with superior transient response.
Binding Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio Studio is outfitted with binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana-plugs (single only). The binding post terminals are rhodium plated to provide the lowest contact resistance and long-term consistency.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Monitor Audio Studio bookshelf loudspeakers are designed to be placed on speakers stands (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) or a large, flat, rigid tabletop surface. Self-adhesive rubber feet are included to protect and isolate the speaker cabinet and mounting surface (the rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker).
- When arranging a two-channel system, the listening position and the loudspeakers should form an equilateral triangle. The speakers should be positioned approximately 6' to 10' apart. The ideal distance from the rear wall varies depending on tastes and room acoustics, however, the speakers need to be a minimum of 3' from the side walls. They should be positioned 8 to 18" from the rear wall depending on how the bass reacts to the room and your personal tastes.
- If there is insufficient bass present from the loudspeakers, try moving the speakers closer to a wall. The opposite approach is recommended if there is excessive bass. If stereo imaging is being lost, try "toeing-in" the speakers slightly. The sound should appear to originate from the center point between the speakers, not the speakers themselves.
Note: The Monitor Audio Studio does not offer any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speakers.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?