About the Monitor Audio Silver W-12
Powerful bass for movies and music
Powerful bass for movies and music
I have high expectations when it comes to my system's powered subwoofer. I want the kind of deep, chest-thumping bass that movie soundtracks demand. But I also want it to be tight and fast to accurately reproduce bass guitars, kick drums, and cellos with nuance when I'm streaming music. Monitor Audio's Silver W-12 excels on both counts.
This powered sub uses a 500-watt DSP-controlled amplifier to drive its beefy 12" woofer. It's the perfect choice for a high-end Monitor Audio stereo or home theater system.
Monitor Audio's Silver W-12 powered subwoofer is available in a variety of finishes to match your décor (shown in satin white with grille removed).
Moving some serious air
One of the keys to the W-12's powerful performance comes courtesy of its advanced driver design. The cone is made from a lightweight, ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components.
This ultra-rigid material, known as C-CAM, resists the bending and twisting that causes distortion while allowing the use of thinner, lighter, more responsive materials in the sub's construction. The result is precise, musical bass with exceptionally high output levels.
Potent amplification tailored to your room
The W-12's amplifier uses Monitor's advanced switch-mode power supply and digital signal processing to increase its dynamic control. And it features Monitor's Automatic Position Correction system, which tunes the sub to your room. Simply place the included calibration microphone in your main listening position, plug it into the W-12, and let the sub automatically find just the right amount of "oomph" for your music and movies.
Build a complete Monitor Audio Silver system
Complete your Silver Series home theater system with these voice-matched speakers:
- frequency response: 20-120 Hz
- built-in Class D amplifier delivers 500 watts of continuous power
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material provides high efficiency and low distortion
- ultra-long-throw 12" C-CAM woofer
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- APC® (Automatic Position Correction) system with included calibration microphone
- continuously variable low-pass 40-120 Hz crossover
- top-mounted continuously variable volume control
- phase switch (0/180°)
- top-mounted 3-setting bass EQ switch (Music/Movies/Impact) provides fine-tuning for different sources
- auto on/off, plus 12-volt DC trigger input
- left and right RCA line-level inputs and outputs
- stereo LFE input and LFE output
- USB connector for firmware updates
- adjustable feet with carpet spikes and soft polymer floor pads
- beautiful black oak wood veneer finish
- 13-3/8"W x 14-9/16"H x 16-1/8"D
- weight: 44.3 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SW12WH
What's in the box:
- Powered sub
- 6' AC power cord
- Auto setup mic (w/ attached 19.5' cable)
- 10.75' Mono minijack cable
- 4 Feet
- Owners Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio Silver W-12 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio Silver W-12
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-120Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||500|
|Frequency Response||20-120 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
12" C-CAM Woofer: The Monitor Audio Silver W-12 powered subwoofer features a front-firing ultra long-throw 12" driver featuring a concave "dished" C-CAM cone. An oversized black anodized 3" voice coil provides high power handling and low distortion. A triple suspension is used for ultimate linearity, ensuring control at high power and long excursions.
500W Class D Amplifier w/ DSP: The powered sub's 500 watt DSP controlled Class-D amplifier utilizes advanced switch-mode power conversion techniques and superior processing to increase dynamic control and deliver far greater head-room. This powerful 500 watt RMS Class-D amplifier ensures instantaneous high current delivery
Automatic Position Correction (APC): Monitor Audio developed Automatic Position Correction (APC) to optimize response for room acoustics. This innovative APC (Automatic Position Correction) system uses a microphone and test tones to identify detrimental room modes and correct frequency response for the room and position automatically. The simple and quick process will ensure perfectly optimized seismic bass quality in any room.
Acoustic Suspension MDF Cabinet: The powered sub features a durable 25mm (1") MDF cabinet with internal bracing. The MDF enclosure is rigid and protects against unwanted vibration and distortion. The cabinet is an acoustic suspension (sealed) design for deep, detailed, and accurate bass.
Controls: The level control, low pass crossover, phase switch, and EQ allow you to blend the powered subwoofer's low-frequency tones with your system's other speakers, as well as establish the ideal level of bass for your type of movie, music, and room.
- Level Control: The level control adjusts the subwoofer's volume relative to the rest of your home audio system. After the sub's level control has been set, the volume control of your AV receiver will be the volume control for both the Monitor Audio powered subwoofer and your connected loudspeakers.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The variable low-pass crossover is adjustable from 40-120Hz. The crossover point chosen determines where low bass frequencies are "handed-off" from your AV system's loudspeakers to the Monitor Audio powered subwoofer. Set the crossover point based on the size of your systems' main left/right speakers.
- Phase Switch: The Phase switch is used to acoustically match the subwoofer's output to your main speakers. Select the position either 0˚ or 180˚ in which your subwoofer has more output at the listening position.
- Bass EQ: The Silver W-12 powered subwoofer offers Impact, Movie, and Music presets for easy EQ operation. Movie mode provides a relatively flat response down to 35Hz. Music mode is -2dB down from Movie mode but goes lower, all the way down to 30Hz. Impact mode is +3dB up from Movie mode and comfortably goes down to 40Hz.
LFE/Stereo Inputs: The Monitor Audio Silver W-12 powered subwoofer is equipped with a dedicated LFE input and a stereo RCA input to connect the powered sub to a variety of AV receivers or integrated amplifiers.
- LFE Input: Most of today's AV receivers have a line-level subwoofer output (LFE). If your receiver has an LFE output, connect one end of a subwoofer cable (sold separately) to this output and connect the other end of the cable into the powered subwoofer's dedicated LFE input. This type of connection bypasses the powered sub's crossover and uses the low-pass crossover built into your AV receiver.
- Stereo Input: In absence of a subwoofer (LFE) output on your receiver, as an alternative hookup, you can connect Left & Right channel pre-amp outputs from the receiver to the stereo RCA inputs (Left/Right) on the powered subwoofer. This type of connection will use the low-pass crossover built into the powered sub.
LFE/Stereo Outputs: The W-12's LFE and stereo RCA outputs are used to daisy-chain additional powered subs in your system. These outputs do not provide any type of filtering.
12V Trigger Input: A 12V trigger input (3.5mm) syncs the Silver W-12 powered sub with other AV components when the system is activated.
Auto Power On/Off: The powered subwoofer will automatically turn On when it senses an audio signal. You can also choose to turn the powered sub On manually from the rear-switch on the back. It will automatically go into "Standby mode" after 20 minutes with no audio signal.
Rubber or Spike Feet: The Monitor Audio Silver W-12 powered sub includes four feet assemblies that can be used as rubber feet or spikes (the spikes simply unscrew from the feet assembly in order to use them as rubber feet). The spikes are great for carpeted floors, while the rubber feet are recommended for hardwood and tile floors. These feet thread into the bottom of the powered sub and are adjustable to level the subwoofer up with your floor. The spikes add approximately 0.625" to the height of the powered sub versus the rubber feet.