About the Monitor Audio WT280
Sweet in-wall sound from Monitor Audio
Sweet in-wall sound from Monitor Audio
In the planning stages of your custom-installed sound system? Monitor Audio's WT280 in-wall speaker is worth a look. It uses some of the same technology found in the company's higher-end speakers, including Monitor's aimable gold dome tweeter.
Use a pair of the WT280s for music, or as left- and right-channel speakers in a Monitor Audio home theater system.
Signature sound from Monitor's gold dome tweeter
The WT280 uses Monitor's signature 1" C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) gold dome tweeter for clear, detailed highs and realistic reproduction of instruments, vocals, and dialogue. It's the same tweeter found in many of Monitor's highly acclaimed bookshelf and floor-standing speakers.
Solid midrange and bass
This speaker also uses C-CAM for its 8" woofer. This alloy was originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. It's super-lightweight and strong, which allows the woofer to respond quickly and precisely.
Tweeter level control and boundary compensation switches let you fine-tune the sound to your room's acoustics. If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire.
- ideal for an in-wall music system or left or right channel in a home theater system
- pivoting 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- 8" C-CAM woofer
- boundary compensation switch for optimum sound quality when placing speaker near a corner
- frequency response: 45-30,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- nominal impedance: 6 ohms
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- unobtrusive frame and low-profile grille for discreet installation
- cutout dimensions: 9-3/16"W x 15-1/4"H
- overall dimensions: 11-5/16"W x 17-3/8"H
- mounting depth: 3-11/16"
- weight: 6.8 lbs.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WT280
What's in the box:
- In-wall speaker
- Magnetic grille
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Limited Warranty/Registration Card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio WT280
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Speaker Design: The Monitor Audio Custom Install series WT280 in-wall speaker features a two-way driver design with a 1" C-CAM gold dome pivoting tweeter and a 8" C-CAM midrange/midbass woofer.
C-CAM Technology: C-CAM drivers are used throughout the WT280 in-wall loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- C-CAM Cone Midrange/Midbass Driver: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
Tweeter & Boundary Control: The 1" C-CAM tweeter is able to pivot (+/-15°) to direct the sound to your desired listening area. A tweeter level adjustment (+3/0/-3 dB) and boundary compensation control (On/Off) also aid in high frequency performance.
Trimless Grille: The WT280 in-wall speaker features a "Trimless" steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true trimless, stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting. The grille only protrudes 0.1875" from the wall.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes and provides three times the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
- The speaker requires a rectangular cutout measuring 9.1875" (w0 x 15.25" (h0 x 3.9375" (d).
- There will need to be 1.0" of clearance around the inside cutout opening to accommodate the mounting clamps.
- The in-wall speaker can be installed in drywall measuring 0.25" to 1.75" thick.
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio WT280 is fitted with two spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 12AWG). Because of the way the spring-post terminals are postioned on the back of the speaker, you cannot use banana plugs or pin-connectors.
Protective Covers: The WT280 features dust protection covers that are designed to prevent the ingress of dirt or dust into the driver and crossover.
Moisture & Fire Resistant: The Custom Install series in-wall speaker is splash and humidity proof for installation in shower rooms or pool areas. It also uses fire retardant materials specified to UL-94 VO rating.