About the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Premium Audio-Technica "woodies" in a streamlined design
The flame maple finish looks as striking and memorable as these handmade headphones sound.
Premium Audio-Technica "woodies" in a streamlined design
Audio-Technica's handcrafted wood headphones have always struck a chord with us — but they are typically very large. The ATH-WP900 headphones take the shape of a more traditional set of over-ears, but still sport solid maple earcups and housings. A thin slice of flame maple is fused on top and finished by Fujigen, the famed Japanese guitar maker. Besides looking gorgeous, the large wooden chambers provide a naturally warm, smooth sound.
These headphones weigh in at less than nine ounces. That's much smaller and lighter than Audio-Technica's flagship "woodies" like the ATH-AWKT Kokutan striped ebony or ATH-AWAS Asada Zakura cherry wood headphones. That's no small feat when you consider that the 'cups are pure maple — and that they feature large 53mm drivers.
Designed and tuned for top-flight sound
Lots of attention has been paid to the subtleties that can make or break the music presentation. Those 53mm drivers have a diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating for accurate detail and extra-wide frequency response. They've been strategically positioned inside the maple housings for the desired airflow. This cuts down on resonance and allows for a quicker attack, resulting in deeper bass and warm, pronounced highs.
The overall sound is spacious and exciting.
Efficient and versatile
It takes a lot of power to drive most audiophile headphones, but the ATH-WP900s are a lot more flexible. They're efficient enough to work with a portable music player, and feature two detachable headphone cables in the box. One is 4.4mm balanced cable that would make the highest quality connection to a Sony Walkman high-re player.
The other cable features a 3.5mm stereo minijack, so you could even connect to a phone, but I would suggest using a separate headphone amp to hear them at their best. (Perhaps one of the compact, convenient AudioQuest DragonFly plug-in USB DAC/amps.)
- streamlined, closed-back design
- designed and hand-crafted at Audio-Technica's headquarters in Tokyo, Japan
- a separate headphone amplifier is required to properly power these headphones for optimum sound quality
Build and construction:
- solid maple wood housings for naturally detailed sound
- maple is known for its denseness and tonal characteristics
- used to create fine string instruments and guitars
- flame-grain maple finish by the Japanese guitar manufacturer Fujigen
- soft synthetic leather ear pads
- smaller and lighter than Audio-Technica's traditional audiophile over-ear "woodies"
- large-aperture 53mm drivers
- diaphragms use a DLC (diamond-like carbon) coating for detailed sound and wide frequency response
- drivers angled and positioned within the housing for optimal airflow and accurate imaging
- angled baffle further manages airflow for deep bass reproduction
General info and accessories:
- two detachable cables:
- 49" cable with a right-angled 3.5mm plug
- 52" balanced cable with 4.4mm balanced connector
- frequency response: 5-50,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 100 dB
- impedance: 38 ohms
- weight: 8.75 ounces
- warranty: 2 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ATH-WP900
What's in the box:
- Over-ear headphones (flame maple wood)
- 52" Balanced audio cable (right-angled 4.4mm plug)
- 49" Unbalanced audio cable (right-angled 3.5mm plug)
- Suede carrying pouch
- User Manual
- Disposal statement
- Warranty sheet
Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.465" x 3.465"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||5-50k Hz|
|Cord Length||49" + 52"|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 portable over-ear headphones feature beautiful flame maple housings, which not only look great, but provide clear, natural sound quality. The large-aperture drivers deliver extended frequency response, capable of reproducing Hi-Res Audio. The headphones come with two cables, including a balanced cable, and a soft suede carrying pouch.
Maple Housings: The ATH-WP900 over-ear headphones feature Japanese craftsmanship, and are hand-assembled in Tokyo. The headphones are equipped with solid, machined maple housings for a natural, pure sound. Maple is often used in the manufacture of string instruments, such as guitars and violins, because of its stiffness and density. A thin slice of flame-grain maple is fused on top of the solid maple housings, and finished by Japanese guitar manufacturer, Fujigen for its unique beauty that will deepen with age.
Design: In addition to the flame maple ear cups, the headphones also have smooth, synthetic leather ear pads and headband for long-time comfort during long listening sessions. The ear cups fold flat so they can be stored in the plush suede carrying pouch.
Drivers: The ATH-WP900 is equipped with large-aperture 53mm drivers with a diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating on the diaphragms to deliver exceptional High-Res Audio. The ear cups have an angled baffle to better position the drivers over the ears, and provide better airflow between the front and rear of the diaphragm for better low and midrange frequencies. The wide 5Hz - 50kHz frequency range lets you hear more of the details of the music, especially Hi-Res audio from 96kHz/24-bit (and higher) music files and streaming services.
Cables: The headphones come with two cables: one with a standard 3.5mm 3-pole stereo mini-plug, and the other with a 4.4mm 5-pole balanced plug. The balanced cable and 4.4mm plug are compatible with newer high-resolution D/A converters and headphone amplifiers. The Y-type cables have A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors to attach to the ear cups.
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 50 kHz
- Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
- Impedance: 38 ohms
- Maximum Input Power: 1000 mW
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.465", Depth 1.847"
- Inside Ear Cup Dimensions: Width 1.856", Height 2.314", Depth 1"
- Cable Lengths: 49" with right-angled 3.5mm plug, 52" with right-angled 4.4mm balanced plug
- Weight: 8.75 ounces (without cable)