About the JVC KD-R690S
An in-dash mobile jukebox
An in-dash mobile jukebox
Plugging in your smartphone opens up a lot of music options for your drive. JVC's KD-R690S CD receiver lets you tap into your favorite music by including a front-panel USB port to connect your iPhone® or Android™. You can even open up your Pandora® app for Internet radio goodness. JVC rounds out this simple car stereo with some impressive tone controls, variable-color lighting for the display, and a wireless remote for controlling your music while tailgating. (Looking for Bluetooth for hands-free calling and wireless music streaming from your phone? Check out JVC's KD-R790BT CD receiver.)
A multi-functional USB port
Connect your Android or iPhone to this JVC's front-panel USB input, and you can control your music and charge your phone. You can even control and enjoy the playlists you've created on Pandora. The USB port also enables you to connect a flash drive filled with MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC music files for hours of listening pleasure.
Even more music at your fingertips
Into radio? You can also connect a SiriusXM tuner for deep satellite radio programming that won't fade away when you head out of town. The front auxiliary input also provides a handy connection if you want to hook up a portable high-res audio player or another device. And, of course, you can also pop in a CD or tune in your favorite local AM and FM stations.
Shaping the sights and sounds
The KD-R690S features a built-in 3-band parametric equalizer, fifteen EQ preset settings, and loudness controls that let you zero in on just the right sound for your mobile studio. JVC included two sets of preamp outputs, so you can plug in an amplifier or powered subwoofer to add some oomph to your music. This receiver's variable color illumination and 2-line display let you clearly see all your music info at a quick glance.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iPod/smartphone note:If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with USB flash drives loaded with MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC music files (FLAC files up to 16-bit/48kHz)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
- detachable face with dual line LCD display and variable-color illumination
- wireless remote control
- built-in control and charging of select Android devices (Android version 4.1 and higher) using the USB connection
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control and charging capability (see Details for compatibility info)
- Pandora Internet radio control with connected iPhone or Android
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 15 EQ presets
- 3-position loudness control
- subwoofer low-pass filter and level control
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front-panel auxiliary input and USB port with sliding cover
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front, rear/sub)
Other Features and Specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- includes English and Spanish menu settings
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KD-R690S (REF)
What's in the box:
- Refurbished CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-RK52)
- CR2025 3V Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Information
- "Caution!" note (attached to wiring harness)
JVC KD-R690S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC KD-R690S
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,WAV,FLAC|
Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0) Connectivity: The JVC KD-R690S's front-panel USB port lets you connect your AOA 2.0 compatible Android OS 4.1+ smartphone for music playback. JVC does not guarantee operation with all Android devices, regardless of operating system. There are two Android AOA 2.0 modes to choose from based on what content you want to listen to and how you want to control it.
- Audio Mode: The JVC KD-R690S supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android (OS 4.1+) smartphone to the KD-R690S's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and music apps from your Android device through the JVC head unit. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; only "Audio Mode" will show up on display. You'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll also still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- JVC Music Play App (Auto Mode): Downloading the JVC Music Play app onto your Android (OS 4.1+) smartphone not only allows you to listen to stored music from your Android device through the JVC CD receiver connected via USB, but it also lets you browse your Android smartphone's music library from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can browse your store music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, or Genre. The contents of a Playlist or Category can be searched alphabetically or numerically. You can also control Play/Pause and Previous/Next track from the head unit. In addition, the head unit will display song/artist information. You can exit the JVC Music Play app to access other functions and applications of your Android smartphone, while your stored music library is still playing through your head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
iPhone Direct Connection: The JVC KD-690Ss front-panel USB port can be used to connect your Lightning-connector or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. The KD-690S supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use JVC's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (105KSU62, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KD-690S.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with a 30-pin dock connector, you can will need to use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device or a "Made For iPod/iPhone" 30-pin-to-USB cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KD-690S.
iPhone Direct Connection: The JVC KD-R690S's front-panel USB port can be used to connect your Lightning Apple device or 30-pin iPhone 4S to the head unit. The USB connection allows for playback of stored music and music apps on your iPod or iPhone through JVC receiver. If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use JVC's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (105KSU62, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KD-R690S. If you have an iPhone 4S with a 30-pin dock connector, you can use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device or a 3rd party "Made for iPod/iPhone" certified dock-to-USB cable (sold separately) to connect your iPhone 4S to the KD-R690S.
- Head Unit Control: From the head unit's front-panel controls you can search for stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, and Composer. The contents of a Playlist or Category can be searched alphabetically or numerically. The KD-R690S also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of stored music on your iPod/iPhone. In addition, you'll be able to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from stored music and select music apps streamed to your iPhone. You can also choose to control your Apple device from its own touchscreen, instead of the head unit.
- Song/Artist Info Display: The KD-R690S will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album title.
Smartphone Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected Apple iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The JVC KD-R690S is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 10/20/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Remote App||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Pandora Internet Radio: The JVC KD-R690S allows you to access the Pandora online music service through your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+) running the Pandora App. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the KD-R690S via the JVC 105KSU62 cable (sold separately), a "Made for iPod/iPhone" certified Lightning or 30-pin cable (sold separately), or the cable supplied with your iPhone. The JVC KD-R690S provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically. New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down, as well as bookmark song information.
Note: Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. Access to the Pandora will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not available in all regions.
SiriusXM-Ready: The JVC KD-R690S is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: The Channel list displays a list of all available channels. You can also search and list channels in specific categories.
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD.
- SmartFavorite Presets: Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. These 18 SiriusXM presets are automatically identified as SmartFavorites for advanced features such as TuneStart & TuneScan (see below).
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to rewind and replay up to 30 minutes of any of the missed news, talk, sports, or music content on any of your SmartFavorite Presets. TuneScan gives you a short preview of the songs that you have missed on each of your Smart Favorite Preset music channels or currently tuned music channel.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The JVC KD-690S features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store a total of 18 FM stations presets and 6 AM station presets. The radio allows you to set your AM/FM stations manually or automatically. You can also switch the tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity. If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation.
- US or European Tuning: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- Radio Timer: The head unit's Radio Timer features lets you tune into a preset station at a specific time regardless of the head unit's current source (you can activate the Radio Timer once, daily, or turn it completely off).
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit also supports playback of MP3 & WMA music files loaded onto CD-R/RW discs.
- Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
- Disc Protection: If the ejected disc is not removed within 20 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust. The source will change to CD, and the disc will begin playback, even if you have another source selected at the time.
Note: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
USB Mass Storage Devices: The JVC KD-R690S features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-out cover. The USB port enables connection of USB mass storage class (MSC) devices; like USB thumbdrives, USB card readers, or portable digital music players. You can insert a compatible USB MSC device into the head unit's USB port for playback, control, and song/artist display of a variety of music files.
- Drive Change: The head unit's Drive Change mode lets you switch between multiple memory cards in a USB multi-card reader. When a mass storage class (MSC) compatible smartphone or portable digital audio player is connected to the head unit's USB input, the unit's Drive Change mode lets you select its internal memory or external memory (such as an SD card) for stored music playback.
- USB Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: Not compatible with USB hubs.
Compatible Music Files: The JVC KD-690S supports the following types of music files recorded onto CD-R/RW discs or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD (-R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/2, Joliet, or Long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
WAV: bit depth of 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 48kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||999 folders/20,480 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Playback & Search Functions: The JVC KD-690S offers a variety of playback and search functions to help you find and enjoy your music on disc and USB.
- Track/Folder List: The Track/Folder List displays a list of music folders and tracks on an inserted CD or USB device, so you can easily access your music.
- Repeat: Track Repeat (plays the current track repeatedly), Folder Repeat (plays all tracks of the current folder repeatedly), Off (cancels repeat function)
- Random: Folder Random (plays all tracks of the current folder, then the tracks of the next folder in random), All Random (plays all tracks of the current disc at random), Off (cancels random function)
- Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc or USB device). Next time you select CD or USB for the playback source, the player will start from where it has been stopped previously.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack is provided to allow the connection of almost any portable audio source with a 3.5mm headphone output. Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system.
MOSFET Amplifier: The JVC KD-690S is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KD-690S are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
Amp Gain: When you are using the KD-690S with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to "low," the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 25 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to "high," and the volume control will range from 0 to 35.
2.5V/4CH Preamp Output: The KD-690S is equipped with two pair of 2.5V preamp outputs (Front, Rear/SW). You can set the Rear/SW preamp outputs for connecting a pair of full-range rear speakers (through an external amplifier) or for connecting a subwoofer (through an external amplifier). When set for rear speakers, the rear outputs operate with the unit's fader control. When set for subwoofer, the outputs are non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's Rear/SW preamp output is set to Subwoofer, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter at 55Hz, 85Hz, or 120Hz. You can also adjust the subwoofer phase between 180° (reverse) or 0° (normal). In addition, you can adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between -8 and +8 (separate from the main volume level).
Subwoofer Speaker Connection: You can connect a subwoofer to this head unit without the need of a separate power amplifier. Simply connect a single subwoofer (4-8 ohm) directly to head unit's left rear speaker leads (the right rear speaker output will be muted). The rated power output for the subwoofer speaker channel remains 22 watts. Same subwoofer controls apply, except the, subwoofer level adjustment is from -6 to+3.
Pro EQ: The KD-R690S is equipped with JVC's Pro EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 13 preset sound modes (Flat, Hard Rock, Jazz, Pop, Hip-Hop, R&B, Talk, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, Classical, Dance, DRVN, & User ) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The DRVN EQ preset helps you hear your music over road noise; tt boosts certain frequencies ranges that becomes hard to hear due to road noise. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
Pro EQ Frequency Level Q Bass 60, 80, 100, 200 Hz +/- 12 dB (-6 to +6) 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0 Midrange 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz +/- 12 dB (-6 to +6) 0.75, 1.0, 1.25 Treble 10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz +/- 12 dB (-6 to +6) Fixed
Note: You can store EQ Pro bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Disc, Tuner, Aux, USB, iPod/iPhone, Android, and Pandora/iHeart Radio).
Audio Enhancements: The JVC KD-690S offers the following audio adjustments to enhance your music listening experience.
- Digital Track Expander: The digital Track Expander automatically enhances compressed music files and restores the original richness of the recording.
- Bass Boost: The unit's Bass Boost enhances low bass frequencies.
- Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level.
- Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -15 to +6.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face: The JVC KD-690S features a detachable face to deter theft. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
2-Line VA LCD: Equipped with VA (Vertical Alignment) LCD panels that offer a broader angle of view and better visibility, the KD-R690S's 2-line display provides more information with English or Spanish text.
Dual Zone Variable Color Illumination: The head unit's variable color illumination is separated into two zones (Display & Buttons). The KD-R690S offers 49 color presets and custom colors for each of these zones. You can choose one of these color presets or select the ColorFlow mode which scrolls through all 49 color presets. Additionally, there is a User preset, allowing you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue from 0 to 31; resulting in approximately 30,000 custom color options. You can choose to use the same color for both the display & button illumination, or use a different color for each illumination zone.
Brightness: The unit offers a daytime and nighttime brightness settings for the LCD and button illumination. You can adjust the brightness level of each manually from 0-31.
Dimmer: The unit's dimmer control can be set automatically or manually; select "Off" for daytime brightness setting, "On" for nighttime brightness setting, or "Auto" which switches between day and nighttime brightness setting automatically when you turn off/on the headlights (orange/white wire of harness must be connected to headlamp circuit). You can also set a specific time for the "Off" and "On" setting to be activated.
Day & Time: The unit displays a 12-or 24-hour clock, as well as the day (Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat). The day & time can be selected to remain on, even if the head unit is switched off (as long as the vehicle's key is in the accessory or start position).
Remote Control: The JVC KD-690S comes with an IR remote control and offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The KD-690S comes supplied with a wireless remote control (RM-RK52). The remote contains Attenuator, Sound, Source, Tracking, and Volume functions. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 3V Lithium-cell battery (included).
- SWC Input (requires optional adapter): The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
The JVC KD-R690S replaces these items
- Pandora and iHeartRadio Internet radio control with iPhone
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 12 EQ presets
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner