Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Edge
Wireless powered speaker with Apple® AirPlay® 2, Bluetooth®, and Chromecast built-in (Bronze)
Our take on the Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Edge by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
The BeoSound Edge can be placed on the floor or wall-mounted with optional hardware.
Minimalist style, innovative features
The beautifully designed Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Edge is like no other wireless speaker we've seen. It looks like a 20-inch coin elegantly balanced on edge. Backlit controls appear near your fingertips when you approach it. The intensity of your touch controls the volume. The bass port automatically opens and closes for optimal bass at any listening level. Calling this speaker "futuristic" would be an understatement.
And this remarkable powered speaker is compatible with all major wireless technologies — Bluetooth, Apple AirPlay 2, DLNA, and Chromecast builit-in. The BeoSound Edge can even be part of a BeoLink multi-room audio system.
Advanced touch control
The BeoSound Edge has a highly polished aluminum body. When you approach it, proximinity sensors backlight the etched in touch controls.
To adjust the volume, slightly roll the speaker either to the right or left. The BeoSound Edge measures the intensity of your touch. Push lightly, the volume changes a little. Push hard, and the volume dramatically changes.
When you release the speaker, it automatically rolls back into position. And when you walk away, the control lights go out, leaving an unbroken gleaming metal surface.
Inside the BeoSound Edge is an amazing array of speakers. Each side features two outward-facing drivers: a 3/4" tweeter for clean, clear highs, and a 4" midrange driver for detailed mids. There's also a single 10" dual voice coil woofer for reproducing deep bass. Each speaker is powered by its own Class D amplifier for accurate sound.
Bang & Olufsen's active bass port closes itself for low volumes, and opens for higher volumes. This helps keep the sound balanced, ensuring that the bass doesn't overpower the other frequencies.
Because both sides have speakers, you can select the direction of the sound. If you're placing the speaker flat against a wall, you can select playback from just one side or the other. Or have all speakers play to create an omnidirectional 360° soundfield.
The BeoSound Edge features Bluetooth 4.2, so you can stream high-quality sound from your smartphone or tablet. Built-in Wi-Fi® connects the BeoSound Edge to your home network and the internet for more listening choices.
Built-in Apple AirPlay 2 technology lets you play audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer through the speaker. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies.
DLNA technology lets you find and play content wirelessly from compatible AndroidT phones and tablets or Windows® PCs. And the speaker has Spotify® Connect built-in for use with both Apple and Android devices.
Versatile multi-room audio
Bang & Olufsen uses Chromecast built-in to create a multi-room wireless audio network. Download the free Beoplay control app from either the Apple App Store or Google Play to start. The app lets you remotely control your BeoSound Edge, as well other Beoplay and BeoSound speakers in your home.
The app has Deezer built in for additional music choices, plus TuneIn so you can enjoy internet radio stations from around the world. You can have all your compatible B&O speakers play the same song throughout your home, or have each speaker play a different song from a different source — or any combination in between.
The BeoSound Edge speaker system rests on an included floor stand. You can also wall-mount the speaker with optional mounting hardware (not included). The included custom-designed fabric cover has a rich, luxurious appearance that can make it a focal point for your room.
- built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for high-quality streaming from smartphones and tablets
- Apple AirPlay 2 for streaming music from an iPhone, iPod, or computer's iTunes®
- DLNA for streaming from Android™ smartphones, tablets, and compatible PCs
- Google Chromecast built-in lets you stream content via the cloud with compatible apps
- BeoLink for wireless multi-room audio
- 3/4" tweeters, two 4" midrange drivers, and one 10" dual voice coil woofer
- active bass port automatically opens and closes according to the volume level for clear bass
- powered by 6 Class D amplifiers for accurate sound
- total system power: 800 watts
- 100 watts x 2 for the tweeters
- 100 watts x 2 for the midrange drivers
- 200 watts x 2 for the dual voice coil woofer
- selectable sound modes: left side, right side, or True360° omnidirectional sound
- pressure-sensitive counter-balanced controls
- proximity sensor lights up the controls when you approach
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- Apple Watch® app control
- Deezer music streaming service built-in
- TuneIn internet radio built-in
- control multiple compatible B&O speakers to play the same song simultaneously or different songs in different rooms
- customizable speaker and group names
- displays current song and artist information
- Live Search to find radio stations playing specific song or artist
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to your home network
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- highly polished aluminum body
- custom designer fabric covering
- wall-mountable with optional mounting hardware (not included)
- includes a detachable floor stand
- requires AC power, power cable included
- 20" diameter x 5-1/8"D
- weight: 28.6 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless audio speaker
- 2 Grilles
- Floor stand
- 4 Screws. Allen-wrench
Why Shop With Us?12 Reasons.
True360 Room-Filling Sound: The BeoSound Edge plays sound through either side of the speaker for True360 omni-directional room-filing sound with renowned Bang & Olufsen clarity and powerful bass response. The BeoSound Edge houses two 0.75" tweeters, two 4" midrange drivers, and one 10" woofer powered by six Class D amplifiers. Four 100 watts Class D amplifiers power the midrange and tweeters, while dual 200 watt Class D amplifiers power the 10" woofer.
Active Bass Port Design: At the heart of this circular speaker lies an innovative Active Bass Port design. A revolutionary Bang & Olufsen technology that enables the BeoSound Edge to deliver unprecedented power for its size. Look behind the fabric fronts and watch as the port closes at lower volumes and opens when playing loud, effectively changing the speaker's acoustic capabilities. Its output remains constantly fine-tuned no matter the volume level.
Intuitive Control Interface: As you approach, the BeoSound Edge's control interface lights up. You can then start, stop and skip tracks with a simple tap on the touch sensitive aluminum surface. The essential speaker controls will then fade into the background again when not in use. The BeoSound Edge can also be wirelessly controlled from Bang & Olufsen's Essence Remote (sold separately).
Rolling Volume Control: The BeoSound Edge is calibrated to read the force of your touch, adjusting the volume as you roll the speaker back and forth, even when placed on the gravity-defying wall mount. A gentle movement changes the volume moderately. A stronger touch and the change is more dramatic. Regardless, the speaker will always return to its center for a perfectly balanced design with perfectly balanced sound.
Bang & Olufsen App: The Bang & Olufsen App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) guides you step-by-step through the setup of the BeoSound Edge, and helps you personalize the speaker and your music experience. It also lets you easily access specific sound settings to tailor the sound to your specific application. In addition, the Bang & Olufsen app will notify you about firmware and software updates. The app even provides an online user guide.
- Directional Sound Control: Choose between three different sound settings to cater to your home's requirements. Select for sound to come out of just the left side of the speaker (Left), right side of the speaker (Right) or both sides of the speaker (omni-directional).
- Placement Options: Select between different placement options for the BeoSound Edge speaker - Wall, Corner, or Free Standing. The sound will be optimized for each setting. You can change this later in the sound settings of the app.
- Firmware Updates: Over-the-network firmware and software updates are done through the Band & Olufsen App on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the BeoSound Edge and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on compatible Sonos speakers. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on a BeoSound Edge speaker system. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room.
Chromecast built-in: Chromecast built-in lets you instantly stream select music apps from your Apple iOS or Android mobile device to the BeoSound Edge speaker system. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the BeoSound Edge speaker. You can even adjust the volume or change the song, right from your mobile device. And with Chromecast built-in, you can keep using your phone to send texts, answer calls, and scroll through social media without disturbing your music. Unlike Bluetooth, Chromecast built-in works over WiFi so you can connect more than one device to the Edge speaker system at a time and control what's playing from anywhere in the house on your mobile device. Because the music apps are streamed from the cloud, you get crystal clear sound and your mobile device's battery won't drain as fast compared to Bluetooth.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Tidal, Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), YouTube Music, Google Play Music, and more. You can even mirror exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet to the BeoSound Edge speaker. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Google Home: Multiple Chromecast built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.4+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The BeoSound Edge & the Google Home Speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Note: Chromecast built-in is a cloud based function and requires that the BeoSound Edge and your Apple iOS or Android mobile device are on the same wireless network, and have access to the Internet.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The BeoSound Edge offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, desktop computer and more to the BeoSound Edge speaker system. Basic playback control, such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track can be done from the speaker's top-panel controls. The speaker can pair with up to 8 devices, but only one device can be used for playback at a time. Once paired, the Edge will automatically re-connect with your device when in wireless range (up to 33').
Note: Bluetooth is only active after set up with the Google Home app.
Combo Analog/Digital Input: The BeoSound Edge has a 3.5mm analog/digital combination jack for connecting an external audio device using a stereo minijack analog audio cable or a mini-toslink digital audio cable (both sold separately).
Mounting Options: Balance your BeoSound Edge on the floor (floor stand included) or mount it on the wall (wall-bracket sold separately) for a stunning, minimalist look that complements your home. Even when suspended on your wall, you can control the volume with the force of your touch. Counterbalanced by a spring, a simply push will effortlessly roll the speaker up and down the wall and let it magically return to it's center when you release it.
AC Power: The Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Edge operates of standard household AC current. This speaker system is not battery powered.
Design By Michael Anastassiades: Imagine a coin elegantly balancing on its side almost ready to roll away and there you have the inspirational background for the design. BeoSound Edge is the first Bang & Olufsen product from the hands of acclaimed lighting designer Michael Anastassiades and a true testament to his minimalist design approach. His intention with BeoSound Edge was to eliminate visual complexity and superfluous elements to create a timeless object that sparks the imagination.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.