About the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H9i
Attractive headphones that add steak to the sizzle
The Beoplay H9i headphones offer convenient touch controls for music, calls, and noise cancellation.
Attractive headphones that add steak to the sizzle
I use the word “luxury” to describe the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H9i headphones, in part because they sport the company's signature stylish looks. But there's also real substance here. These wireless noise-cancelers are made from premium parts that give them a first-class feel. And B&O loaded them up with modern features to make on-the-go listening a real treat.
Music plays wirelessly from your phone via Bluetooth, and B&O's active noise cancellation helps knock out external noise. The company recently tweaked their noise-canceling technology so that it better blocks the sound of human voices. A rechargeable battery provides up to 18 hours of wireless listening with noise cancellation.
A sturdy, elegant design
I haven't tried these headphones yet, but I did test out their predecessor, and they had a really impressive, lightweight build. This new version sports the same sturdy aluminum frame and plush leather earpads. But they've streamlined and softened those earpads just a bit, so that they more closely match the fit of the Beoplay H4s — perhaps the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.
Smooth, detailed sound
Of course you can only enjoy headphones if they sound good, too. B&O has fine-tuned their sound profile for the Beoplay H9i. You don't get the extreme, "boomy" bass you might expect from some modern headphones. Instead, you get a smooth, midrange-focused sound profile with detailed highs. The bass can get deep, but it sounds more punchy than bloated.
Intuitive touch controls and Transparency Mode to keep you aware
A lot of us use noise-canceling headphones while traveling, so B&O threw in some neat features to make listening more convenient. The right ear cup has a touch panel built right in. You move your finger across the ear cup to control music and phone calls.
Someone trying to grab your attention? Tap the right ear cup to activate Transparency mode — you'll instantly hear what that person is saying.
- closed-back, over-ear design
- Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls with compatible smartphones
- aptX® and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- hybrid active noise-canceling circuitry helps minimize external noise
- dual-mic system effectively neutralizes human voices
- 40mm dynamic drivers tuned for clear, detailed sound
- balanced, natural-sounding profile with punchy bass
Build Quality and Touch Controls:
- durable, aluminum frame and leather headband
- memory foam earpads with soft lambskin covering for first-class comfort
- earcups fold flat for easy storage
- built-in smart sensor pauses music when you remove headphones
- aluminum touch panel on right earcup offers easy control of music, calls, and volume
- Transparency Mode lets you quickly hear external sounds by touch
- swipe up and down to toggle noise-canceling on and off
- built-in microphone for clear phone conversations
- free Beoplay app for Apple® and Android™ allows you to adjust settings and customize the sound
General Info and Specs:
- rechargeable battery provides up to 18 hours of wireless music listening with noise cancellation
- up to 23 hours without noise cancelation
- removable 770mAh battery is rechargeable via USB-C (cable included)
- miniplug cable included for wired listening
- airline adapter for in-flight entertainment systems
- carry pouch included
- frequency response: 20-22,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 95 dB
- impedance: 24 ohms
- weight: 10.1 ounces
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 17058VRP
What's in the box:
- Over-ear Bluetooth headphones (black)
- 50" Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plugs on each end)
- 50" USB-C cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C connector on other end)
- Airline adapter
- Cloth storage pouch
- Quick Start Guide
More details on the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H9i
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.508" x 3.508"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||20-22k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Bang & Olufsen (B&O Play) H9i is an over-ear headphone with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), Bluetooth 4.2, and high-performance sound. The H9i is powered by a rechargeable battery for hours of wireless listening. The headphone comes with on-board controls for music and phone calls, a replaceable Lithium-Ion battery, audio cable, charging cable, and a soft cloth storage pouch.
Design: The Jakob Wagner-designed H9i weighs only 10.4 ounces for hours of comfort. It features 40mm electro-dynamic drivers that deliver the famous Bang & Olufsen Signature Sound. The H9i features soft lambskin leather and adaptive memory foam on the ear cushions, genuine cowhide leather on the headband, and a polished aluminum touch panel.
Touch Controls: The H9i over-ear wireless headphones feature a polished and anodized aluminum plate on the ear cup that lets you control your music, phone calls, and ANC, even with gloves on. Touch controls include play/pause (tap), volume (circular motion), next/previous (swipe forward/backward), answer call (tap), end call (long press), redial latest number (double tap), and transfer active call to smartphone (swipe). You can also control Active Noise Cancellation by swiping up (on) or down (off) on the touchpad in wireless or cabled mode.
Proximity Sensors: The H9i headphones feature proximity sensors to detect when you are wearing the headphones, and when you take them off. The sensors will automatically pause your music when you remove the headphones. Likewise, when you put them back on again, the music will automatically resume playing, right where you left off.
Active Noise Cancellation (ANC): The built-in ANC electronically shuts out ambient noise so you can focus on your music or phone calls. Microphones on the outside and inside of each ear cup pick up sound from your environment. These sound waves are mixed with equal, but opposite signals to cancel out the noise. If you wish to be more aware of your surroundings, you can turn off ANC by swiping down on the control panel.
Transparency Mode: If you are in a situation where you need to hear what's going on around you, you can switch on the Transparency Mode. The built-in microphones used for ANC now amplify your surroundings. You can carry on a conversation, listen to announcements at the airport or train station, or hear nearby traffic without removing your headphones.
Bluetooth: The B&O H9i features Bluetooth 4.2 that lets you listen wirelessly at a distance of approximately 33 feet (10 meters). The H9i delivers high quality sound that is in sync with your visual media.
Battery: The headphones feature a user-replaceable Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7-volts, 770 mAh) that provides up to 18 hours of wireless listening via Bluetooth with ANC, 23 hours of Bluetooth only, and up to 24 hours of ANC + control. The battery can be charged in approximately 2.5 hours using the supplied Micro USB cable. Replacement batteries can be obtained from the B&O online store.
Cable: When the H9i headphones' battery is exhausted, or you're in an area where you can't listen wirelessly, you can plug the supplied 50" cable into your music source. A dual-plug airline adapter is included for listening to in-flight entertainment.
Beoplay App: You can enhance your listening experience with the free Beoplay App for Android, iOS, and watchOS. The ToneTouch feature lets you vary the tonality and sound staging to find just the right sound. Each B&O product has its own individually tuned presets, plus, you can select different listening presets to match your mood or activity. Any firmware updates for your headphones are automatically uploaded through the Beoplay App. The app is available for Android devices running version 5.0 and up, and for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS version 9.0 or later.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 22kHz
- Impedance: 24 ohms
- Sensitivity: 95dB
- Driver Size: 40mm
- Dimensions: 3.508" diameter, 1.886" depth
- Weight: 10.4 ounces (without cable)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked