About the Leica SL2-S (no lens included)
Well-appointed mirrorless workhorse
The SL2-S has svelte-but-solid mirrorless design with Leica's legendary made-in-Germany build quality and — let's admit it — style.
Well-appointed mirrorless workhorse
The SL2-S gives you Leica's legendary made-in-Germany build quality in a compact mirrorless design. Its solid milled aluminum and magnesium body feels good in your hands, and its advanced electronic features put pro-caliber options at your fingertips with a user-friendly interface.
It performs with equal brilliance whether you're shooting still images or video, and it accepts a wide variety of lenses. It offers double the maximum ISO of its sibling model, the SL2 (which is a great choice if you're looking for maximum resolution). With its full-frame 24-megapixel CMOS sensor, and an ISO range up to 100,000, the SL2-S can deliver crisp, balanced images in any kind of light. And it's weather-sealed, so you can use it in the rain, sleet, and snow.
Leica design and build quality
I learned photography on my dad's old 1950s Leica M3, and I bet it's still taking great images for the lucky person he eventually sold it to. I carried it around with me in high school and college, and it traveled along with me in my backpack across Europe in the early '90s. It really took a beating, but that rock-solid, precise German design and build always functioned flawlessly, and took great photos.
The SL2-S has that same heft and precision, with up-to-date details in keeping with the Leica tradition. It's a pleasure to hold and shoot with a comfortable leatherette wrap and integrated grip. An ergonomic rear-panel mini-joystick lets you thumb-navigate with ease whether you're looking at the 3" LCD screen or have your eye to the electronic viewfinder. And you're a bit less conspicuous when snapping pictures thanks to the quiet electronic shutter.
Smoothly incorporated covers conceal HDMI, USB-C, and 3.5mm stereo input and output jacks. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi bring sharing and control into the wireless realm, connecting you to your mobile device of choice with the free Leica FOTOS app.
Versatile lens options
The SL2-S takes lenses from the L-Mount Alliance, the Leica M-System, and the Leitz Cine series. So you have bountiful choices, whether you're using a low-profile 50mm prime lens for street-shooting on the go, or an enormous telephoto zoom lens that requires you to mount the camera on your burliest tripod.
Professional video performance
Pro videographers can put this camera to good use, recording 10-bit video at 4K or higher resolutions. Leica's L-Log profile gives you color-accurate results you can fine-tune with pro-level precision when you edit. The SL2-S also has unlimited video recording time, which means you're only limited by the capacity of your SD card or external memory.
- mirrorless camera body made in Germany
- full-metal milled aluminum and magnesium housing with leatherette wrap and rubber grip
- Leica L-mount directly accepts compatible lenses from Leica, Panasonic, and more
- works with classic Leica lenses using an optional adapter
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization
- IP54 weather rating for working in adverse conditions
- 24-megapixel effective recording
- high-performance, low-noise CMOS sensor
- full-frame (24 MP): 6000 x 4000 pixels
- APS-C (10.3 MP): 3963 x 2624 pixels
- variable ISO of 100-100,000 in auto mode and 50-100,000 in manual mode for high-resolution, low-noise shots even in low light
- Maestro III series image processor allows for fast autofocus and low-noise images
- shutter speed range: 1/16,000 second minimum to 30 minutes maximum
- 3.2" high-resolution (2.1-million-dot) fixed LCD touchscreen
- 5.76-million-dot electronic OLED viewfinder with eye sensor for automatic switching between viewfinder and LCD screen
- 1.28" monochrome LCD top display
- records photos and video onto SD, SDHC and SDXC cards, not included
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for convenient sharing and control
- free Leica FOTOS mobile app adds remote control using smartphones and tablets
- exposure modes: program automatic (P), aperture priority (A), shutter speed priority (S), and manual (M)
- automatic (autofocus) or manual focusing
- versatile autofocus modes
- focus peaking and auto magnification available when using manual focus
- multi-shot mode generates 2 DNGs: 1x 24 MP and 1x 96 MP (8 pictures are combined into one high-res image)
- captures pro-quality video at 4K and higher resolution (10-bit, 4:2:2 color)
- photo recording formats: DNG (raw data), DNG + JPG, JPG (DCF, Exif 2.31)
- Adobe Lightroom optimization
- battery life: approximately 510 shots
- HDMI 2.0 Type A
- USB 3.1 Type C
- built-in stereo microphone
- 3.5mm stereo input jack for connecting an external microphone
- built-in mono speaker
- 3.5mm stereo audio out jack
- ISO accessory shoe with additional control contacts
Dimensions and warranty:
- 5-3/4"W x 4-3/16"H x 3-5/16"D
- weight (with battery): 32.84 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 10880
What's in the box:
- Digital camera body
- BP-SCL4 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 1860mAh)
- BC-SCL4 Battery charger (DC output: 8.4V 0.85A)
- AC cord
- Body cap (installed)
- Quick Start Guide
- CE Flyer
- Creative Cloud flyer
- Test certificate
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Leica SL2-S (no lens included)
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3.2"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||None included|
|HDMI Output||Full Size|
|Live Stream Capable||No|
|SD Cards||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||4096 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||32.84|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
SL Camera Body: The all-black Leica SL2-S is high-quality, full frame camera constructed with an all-metal housing made of a high quality milled aluminum top cover and bottom, with a leatherette wrapping. Its advanced weather sealing makes it dust and water resistant, with an IP54 certification. The camera is handcrafted at the Leica factory in Germany. The kit includes a rechargeable battery, battery charger, and leather neck strap.
Full Frame Image Sensor: The SL2-S is equipped with a Full Frame, backside-illuminated CMOS-BSI image sensor with 24.6 million effective pixels (5.94 µm pitch) and a 3:2 aspect ratio. There is an APS-C Crop Mode (10.6MP) for shooting when only limited storage capacity remains or an APS-C optimized lens is used. Coupled with the sensor is a MAESTRO III generation image processor to give the camera a blazing fast autofocus and a superior operating speed. The camera is capable of full-resolution burst shooting at 9 fps with the mechanincal shutter, and 25 fps with the electronic shutter.
Lenses: The SL2-S has the L-bayonet mount for Leica TL- and SL-lenses. With the appropriate adapter, you can use Leica M or R lenses with the camera.
Monitor: The camera has a 3.2" TFT LCD touchscreen monitor with 2.1-million dots. The touch controls are similar to those on most mobile devices, with tap, swipe, pinch, and spread actions. On the top plate is a 1.28" LCD screen (128 x 128 pixels) to indicate camera settings.
Viewfinder: In addition to the LCD monitor, the SL2-S is equipped with the EyeRes OLED Viewfinder with 5.76-million dots and 60 or 120 fps refresh rate. A built-in diopter adjustment lets you focus the viewfinder to your eyesight in a range of +2 to -4 diopeters. An eye sensor near the viewfinder automatically switches from the viewfinder to the monitor.
Image Stabilization: The Leica SL2-S utilizes a suspended image sensor which adjusts its position to quickly compensate for camera shake. This 5-axis in-body system stabilizes the camera to the equivalent of 5.5 stops. There are four Image Stabilization Modes: Normal, Automatic, Vertical Panning, and Horizontal Panning.
Memory Cards: The SL2-S has dual slots that will accept SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards up to 512 GB. The camera is compatible with UHS-II (recommended) and UHS-I high-speed cards. There are three options for saving data when two memory cards are inserted:
- Backup (SD1=SD2): DNG and JPEG files are saved to both inserted cards simultaneously.
- Standard (SD1+SD2): DNG and JPEG files are saved to the card in Slot 1 first until its capacity is reached. Subsequent files will be saved to the card in Slot 2.
- Split (SD1/SD2): Files are saved separately by format: JPEG files are saved to the card in Slot 1, and DNG files are saved to SD2.
Battery: The camera is powered by the BP-SCL4 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V / 1860mAh). The battery charges is approximately 140 minutes using the supplied BC-SCL4 (8.4V / 0.85A). A fully charged battery has the capacity for approximately 510 shots.
Still Image Types/Sizes: The SL2-S can record still images in JPEG in 3:2 aspect ratio in three sizes: 24MP (6000 x 4000), 12.2MP (4272 x 2848), and 5.9MP (2976 x 1984). You can also record uncompressed DNG (Digital Negative) files at 6000 x 4000 (24 MP) and 14-bit color depth. In addition to the native 3:2 aspect ratio, you can choose to shoot in 7:5, 4:3, 1:1, 3:1, or 16:9.
Movie Recording: Movies are recorded in MOV or MP4 format. Video recordings can be up to 29 minutes in length, with a maximum file size of 96 GB. You can choose from Standard, Vivid, or Natural color profiles, plus Monochrome and High Contrast Monochrome. You can choose from the following formats, frame rates, and resolutions:
|Frame Rate||Resolution (File Format)|
|C4K (4096 x 2160)||4K (3840 x 2160)||FHD (1920 x 1080)|
|23.98 fps||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|25 fps||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|29.97 fps||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|50 fps||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|59.94 fps||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|100 fps||---||---||MOV + MP4|
|120 fps||---||---||MOV + MP4|
|150 fps||---||---||MOV + MP4|
|180 fps||---||---||MOV + MP4|
Exposure Modes: The Leica SL2-S offers four Exposure Modes, including one fully automatic mode (P), two semi-automatic modes (A/S), and one fully manual mode (M):
- P (Automatic Program): The camera automatically sets the aperture and shutter speed based on the exposure metering. Using the Shift function, you can change the preset values to fit with a desired result while maintaining the same overall exposure.
- S (Shutter Priority): Lets you set the shutter speed, while the camera chooses the aperture setting based on the exposure metering. Shutter speed range is 60 to 1/16000 seconds with the electronic shutter and 30 to 1/8000 seconds with mechanical shutter)
- A (Aperture Priority): Lets you choose the aperture setting, while the camera chooses the shutter speed based on the exposure metering. The aperture range is based on the attached lens.
- M: (Manual): Full manual setting lets you set both the shutter speed and aperture.
Drive Modes: The menu offers the following drive modes:
- Single: Normal, single image recording.
- Serial Exposures: You can choose from Very High (25 fps - electronic shutter only), High (9 fps), Medium (5 fps), or Low Speed (2 fps).
- Interval: For shooting a series of photos over an extended period, you
can set the camera to record a specific number of images over a set amount
of time. You can even delay the beginning of the recording. In the menu, you
can select the following:
- Number of Frames: 1 to 9999
- Interval between Frames: 1 second to 24 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Countdown to First Shot: 1 second to 24 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Self Timer: You can set the self timer to 2 seconds (to avoid camera shake) or 12 seconds (to allow the photographer time to get into the picture)
- Exposure Bracketing: Exposure Bracketing lets you take 3 or 5 images, each with different exposure compensation. Bracketing range is ±3 EV in 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV increments.
Focus Methods: The Leica SL2-S utilizes a fast and reliable Object Detection AF contrast-based autofocus with 225 metering fields. You can choose one-time autofocus (AFs) or continuous autofocus (AFc). There are six AF Metering Methods: Multi-field, Spot, Field, Zone, Tracking, and Face/Body Detection.
Metering: The SL2-S lets you choose from three methods of measuring the light of the scene you're about to shoot. You can select the following metering methods: Multi-Field, Center-Weighted, and Spot metering.
Exposure Compensation: You can adjust the exposure above or below the metered exposure. The range of exposure compensation is ±3 EV in 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV increments.
White Balance: The Leica SL2-S offers automatic white balance correction, as well as the following presets (and corresponding Color Temperature): Daylight (5200K), Cloudy (6000K), Shadow (7000K), Tungsten (3200K), HMI (5600K), Fluorescent Warm (4000K), Fluorescent Cool (4500K), Flash (5400 K), Gray Card Live View, Gray Card, and Color Temperature (2000K to 11500K).
ISO Sensitivity: You can adjust the ISO sensitivity manually or automatically. Manual settings range between ISO 50 and ISO 100000 for photo and ISO 50 to ISO 50000 for video. Auto settings range from ISO 100 and ISO 100000 for photo and ISO 100 to ISO 50000 for video.
External Flash: The camera does not have a built-in flash. On the top of the camera is an ISO accessory shoe with center and control contracts for Leica flash units. Flash synchronization is up to 1/250 second. You can also adjust the exposure with flash by ±2 EV in 1/3 EV increments with the Leica SF60, and ±2 EV in 1/2 EV increments with the Leica SF40.
Built-in Wi-Fi/Bluetooth: The camera has built-in Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n/ac; 2.4GHz/5GHz) and Bluetooth 4.2 (BLE) for connecting to your smartphone or tablet. Using the Leica FOTOS app on your device, you can remotely control the camera, and manage images on the camera's memory card. You can see the camera's live view on your device, perform Touch AF, change settings, trigger the shutter release, and start/stop video recordings. Images on the memory card can be viewed, rated, or deleted, shared on social media sites, or stored on your smart device in full resolution. The Leica FOTOS app is available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 12.0 or later. It is also compatible with Android devices running version 6.0 and up.