About the Leica SL2 Bundle with 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens
Mirrorless high-res specialist
Mirrorless high-res specialist
The SL2 offers Leica's high-end German design and build-quality and a user-friendly shooting interface.
Leica's SL2 mirrorless camera offers a solid tank-like build, well-designed interface, and a full-frame 47-megapixel image sensor inside. In the German manufacturer's SL lineup, this camera is your go-to if super-high resolution is what you're after. With so many megapixels, you have plenty of image detail to crop and recompose your shots after the fact.
It's very similar in most ways to Leica's sibling SL2-S, except that model offers a different sensor with smaller resolution but boosted low-light performance. Both accept a wide variety of lenses, and both are weather-sealed, so you can use them in the rain, sleet, and snow.
Classic build quality and modern features
The SL2 has the same heft and precision that Leica fans know and love from the company's rangefinder cameras of yore. That classic build is coupled here with a full array of modern digital shooting features. An ergonomic rear-panel mini-joystick lets you navigate menus with ease. You can compose and play back shots on the 3.2" LCD screen or high-res electronic OLED viewfinder.
Smoothly incorporated covers conceal HDMI, USB-C, and 3.5mm stereo input and output jacks. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi bring sharing and control into the wireless realm, connecting you to your mobile device of choice with the free Leica FOTOS app.
Versatile lens options
The SL2 takes lenses from the L-Mount Alliance, the Leica M-System, and the Leitz Cine series. So you have bountiful choices, whether you're using a low-profile 50mm prime lens for street-shooting on the go, or an enormous telephoto zoom lens that requires you to mount the camera on your burliest tripod.
The included Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-70mm f/2.8 ASPH lens is a great all-around choice. With its extensive focal range and consistent maximum aperture of f/2.8, it's flexible enough to capture images on the street, in the field, or in the studio — whether you're shooting photos or video.
- mirrorless camera body made in Germany
- full-metal milled aluminum and magnesium housing with leatherette wrap and rubber grip
- Leica L-mount directly accepts compatible lenses from Leica, Panasonic, and more
- works with classic Leica lenses using an optional adapter
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization
- IP54 weather rating for working in adverse conditions
- 47.3-megapixel effective recording
- high-resolution CMOS sensor
- full-frame (47 MP): 8368 x 5584 pixels
- APS-C (20.2 MP): 5504 x 3664 pixels
- variable ISO of 100-50,000 in auto mode and 50-50,000 in manual mode
- Maestro III series image processor allows for fast autofocus and low-noise images
- 3.2" high-resolution (2.1-million-dot) fixed LCD touchscreen
- 5.76-million-dot electronic OLED viewfinder with eye sensor for automatic switching between viewfinder and LCD screen
- 1.28" monochrome LCD top display
- dual memory card slot
- records photos and video onto SD, SDHC and SDXC cards, not included
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for convenient sharing and control
- free Leica FOTOS mobile app adds remote control using smartphones and tablets
- exposure modes: program automatic (P), aperture priority (A), shutter speed priority (S), and manual (M)
- automatic (autofocus) or manual focusing
- versatile autofocus modes
- focus peaking and auto magnification available when using manual focus
- multi-shot mode generates 2 DNGs: 1x 47 MP and 1x 187 MP (8 pictures are combined into one high-res image)
- captures video at 4K and higher resolution (10-bit)
- photo recording formats: DNG (raw data), DNG + JPG, JPG (DCF, Exif 2.31)
- battery life: approximately 370 shots
Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-70mm f/2.8 ASPH lens:
- 19 elements in 15 groups
- minimum aperture: f/22
- minimum focus distance: 7-1/8"
- 82mm front filter size/E82 filter thread
- 3-1/2" diameter x 4-13/16"L
- HDMI 2.0 Type A
- USB 3.1 Type C
- built-in stereo microphone
- 3.5mm stereo input jack for connecting an external microphone
- built-in mono speaker
- 3.5mm stereo audio out jack
- ISO accessory shoe with additional control contacts
Dimensions and warranty:
- 5-3/4"W x 4-1/4"H x 6-1/2"D (with supplied lens)
- weight (body with battery and SD card): 29.6 oz.; with lens: 59.8 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 10888
What's in the box:
- Digital camera body
- BP-SCL4 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 1860mAh)
- BC-SCL4 Battery charger (DC output: 8.4V 0.85A)
- AC cord
- Body cap (installed)
- Neck strap
- Vario Elmarit SL 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom lens
- Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Quick Start Guide
- CE Flyer
- Creative Cloud flyer
- Test certificate
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Leica SL2 Bundle with 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3.2"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-70mm|
|HDMI Output||Full Size|
|Live Stream Capable||No|
|SD Cards||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Highest Resolution||8368 x 5584|
|Video Resolution||4992 x 3744|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||29.6|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Leica SL2 Bundle consists of the Leica SL2 interchangeable lens camera and the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-70mm f/2.8 ASPH zoom lens. The kit includes a rechargeable battery, battery charger, and leather neck strap.
SL Camera Body: The all-black Leica SL2 is high-quality, full frame camera constructed with an all-metal housing made of aluminum and magnesium with an elegant leather wrapping. Its advanced weather sealing makes it dust and water resistant, with an IP54 certification. The camera is handcrafted at the Leica factory in Germany.
Full Frame Image Sensor: The SL2 is equipped with a Full Frame CMOS image sensor with 47.3 million effective pixels and a 3:2 aspect ratio. There is an APS-C Crop Mode (20MP) for shooting when only limited storage capacity remains or an APS-C optimized lens is used. Coupled with the sensor is a MAESTRO III generation image processor to give the camera a blazing fast autofocus and a superior operating speed. The camera is capable of full-resolution burst shooting at 10 fps with the mechanincal shutter, and 20 fps with the electronic shutter.
Lenses: The SL2 has the L-bayonet mount for Leica TL- and SL-lenses. With the appropriate adapter, you can use Leica M or R lenses with the camera.
Monitor: The camera has a 3.2" TFT LCD touchscreen monitor with 2.1-million dots. The touch controls are similar to those on most mobile devices, with tap, swipe, pinch, and spread actions. On the top plate is a 1.28" LCD screen (128 x 128 pixels) to indicate camera settings.
Viewfinder: In addition to the LCD monitor, the SL2 is equipped with the EyeRes OLED Viewfinder with 5.76-million dots and 60 or 120 fps refresh rate. A built-in diopter adjustment lets you focus the viewfinder to your eyesight in a range of +2 to -4 diopeters. An eye sensor near the viewfinder automatically switches from the viewfinder to the monitor.
Image Stabilization: The Leica SL2 utilizes a suspended image sensor which adjusts its position to quickly compensate for camera shake. This 5-axis in-body system stabilizes the camera to the equivalent of 5.5 stops. There are four Image Stabilization Modes: Normal, Automatic, Vertical Panning, and Horizontal Panning.
Memory Cards: The SL2 has dual slots that will accept SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards. The camera is compatible with UHS-II (recommended) and UHS-I high-speed cards. There are three options for saving data when two memory cards are inserted:
- Backup (SD1=SD2): DNG and JPEG files are saved to both inserted cards simultaneously.
- Standard (SD1+SD2): DNG and JPEG files are saved to the card in Slot 1 first until its capacity is reached. Subsequent files will be saved to the card in Slot 2.
- Split (SD1/SD2): Files are saved separately by format: JPEG files are saved to the card in Slot 1, and DNG files are saved to SD2.
Battery: The camera is powered by the BP-SCL4 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V / 1860mAh). The battery charges is approximately 140 minutes using the supplied BC-SCL4 (8.4V / 0.85A). A fully charged battery has the capacity for approximately 370 shots.
Still Image Types/Sizes: The SL2 can record still images in JPEG in 3:2 aspect ratio in three sizes: 46.7MP (8368 x 5584), 24MP (6000 x 4000), and 12MP (4272 x 2848). You can also record uncompressed DNG (Digital Negative) files at 8368 x 5584 (46.7 MP) and 14-bit color depth. In addition to the native 3:2 aspect ratio, you can choose to shoot in 7:5, 4:3, 1:1, 3:1, or 16:9.
Movie Recording: Movies are recorded in MOV or MP4 format. Video recordings can be up to 29 minutes in length, with a maximum file size of 96 GB. You can choose from Standard, Vivid, or Natural color profiles, plus Monochrome and High Contrast Monochrome. You can choose from the following formats, frame rates, and resolutions:
|Frame Rate||Resolution (File Format)|
|5K (4992 x 3744)||C4K (4096 x 2160)||4K (3840 x 2160)||FHD (1920 x 1080)|
|23.98 fps||MOV||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|25 fps||MOV||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|29.97 fps||MOV||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|50 fps||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|59.94 fps||MOV||MOV + MP4||MOV + MP4|
|100 fps||MOV + MP4|
|120 fps||MOV + MP4|
|150 fps||MOV + MP4|
|180 fps||MOV + MP4|
Exposure Modes: The Leica SL2 offers four Exposure Modes, including one fully automatic mode (P), two semi-automatic modes (A/S), and one fully manual mode (M):
- P (Automatic Program): The camera automatically sets the aperture and shutter speed based on the exposure metering. Using the Shift function, you can change the preset values to fit with a desired result while maintaining the same overall exposure.
- S (Shutter Priority): Lets you set the shutter speed, while the camera chooses the aperture setting based on the exposure metering. Shutter speed range is 1 to 1/40000 seconds with the electronic shutter and 30 to 1/8000 seconds with mechanical shutter)
- A (Aperture Priority): Lets you choose the aperture setting, while the camera chooses the shutter speed based on the exposure metering. Aperture range with the included lens is f/2.8 to f/22.
- M: (Manual): Full manual setting lets you set both the shutter speed and aperture.
Drive Modes: The menu offers the following drive modes:
- Single: Normal, single image recording.
- Serial Exposures: You can choose from Very High (20 fps - electronic shutter only), High (10 fps), Medium (6 fps), or Low Speed (3 fps).
- Interval: For shooting a series of photos over an extended period, you
can set the camera to record a specific number of images over a set amount
of time. You can even delay the beginning of the recording. In the menu, you
can select the following:
- Number of Frames: 1 to 9999
- Interval between Frames: 1 second to 24 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Countdown to First Shot: 1 second to 24 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Self Timer: You can set the self timer to 2 seconds (to avoid camera shake) or 12 seconds (to allow the photographer time to get into the picture)
- Exposure Bracketing: Exposure Bracketing lets you take 3 or 5 images, each with different exposure compensation. Bracketing range is ±3 EV in 1/3 EV increments.
Focus Methods: The Leica SL2 utilizes a fast and reliable Object Detection AF contrast-based autofocus with 225 metering fields. You can choose one-time autofocus (AFs) or continuous autofocus (AFc). There are six AF Metering Methods: Multi-field, Spot, Field, Zone, Tracking, and Face/Body Detection.
Metering: The SL2 lets you choose from three methods of measuring the light of the scene you're about to shoot. You can select the following metering methods: Multi-Field, Center-Weighted, and Spot metering.
Exposure Compensation: You can adjust the exposure above or below the metered exposure. The range of exposure compensation is ±3 EV in 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV increments.
White Balance: The Leica SL2 offers automatic white balance correction, as well as the following presets (and corresponding Color Temperature): Daylight (5200K), Cloudy (6000K), Shadow (7000K), Tungsten (3200K), HMI (5600K), Fluorescent Warm (4000K), Fluorescent Cool (4500K), Flash (5400 K), Gray Card Live View, Gray Card, and Color Temperature (2000K to 11500K).
ISO Sensitivity: You can adjust the ISO sensitivity manually or automatically. Manual settings range between ISO 100 and ISO 50000. Auto settings range from ISO 100 to ISO 50000.
External Flash: The camera does not have a built-in flash. On the top of the camera is an ISO accessory shoe with center and control contracts for Leica flash units. Flash synchronization is up to 1/250 second. You can also adjust the exposure with flash by ±2 EV in 1/3 EV increments with the Leica SF60, and ±2 EV in 1/2 EV increments with the Leica SF40.
Built-in Wi-Fi/Bluetooth: The camera has built-in Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n/ac; 2.4GHz/5GHz) and Bluetooth 4.2 (BLE) for connecting to your smartphone or tablet. Using the Leica FOTOS app on your device, you can remotely control the camera, and manage images on the camera's memory card. You can see the camera's live view on your device, perform Touch AF, change settings, trigger the shutter release, and start/stop video recordings. Images on the memory card can be viewed, rated, or deleted, shared on social media sites, or stored on your smart device in full resolution. The Leica FOTOS app is available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 12.0 or later. It is also compatible with Android devices running version 6.0 and up.
Included Lens: The Leica SL2 Bundle includes the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-70mm f/2.8 ASPH zoom lens. This wide-angle to short-telephoto zoom lens has a black anodized finish and the Leica L bayonet mount. It is perfectly matched to the state-of-the-art SL-System with its fast autofocus performance and detailed images. It is an ideal lens for video and still photography applications across the board. The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, and a lens hood.
Dual Syncro Drive™: Vario-Elmarit-SL lenses feature a fast, precise, and nearly silent autofocus system. With two powerful stepping motors, the Dual Syncro Drive™ system, the focusing lens elements travel the entire focusing range in fractions of a second. The two autonomous focusing units move in perfect synchronization while the positioning data is analyzed at a very high sampling rate and passed on to the camera.
Depth of Field: Leica SL lenses do not come with an aperture settings ring, and no depth-of-field scale is provided. Instead, the top display of the camera shows the near and far focal length limits of the depth-of-field alongside the set distance.
Lens Construction: The Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-70 f/2.8 ASPH has an optical system constructed of 19 lens elements in 15 groups, including six aspherical surfaces. These aspherical elements correct monochromatic aberration, while nine elements manufactured from specially formulated, high-quality glass types ensure chromatic correction throughout the entire focusing range.
Lens Hood: Included with the lens is a lens hood that fits with a bayonet-style fitting on the front of the lens. When not in use, it can be reverse-mounted to the lens for storage. The lens hood blocks stray light from entering the lens, effecting contrast, and also protects the front lens against damage, weather, or accidental fingerprint marks.
Filters: The lens is compatible with 82mm screw filters (E82).
Compatibility: This Leica L-mount lens is perfectly matched to Leica SL mirrorless full-frame cameras, such as the SL-2 and SL-2S. You can also use the lens on other Leica L-mount cameras, such as the TL2 and the CL. L-mount lenses can also be used on select Panasonic and SIGMA cameras, according to the L-Mount Alliance.
- Focal Length: 24-70mm
- 35mm Format Equivalent Focal Length: 36-105mm
- Type of Mount: Leica L bayonet type (Leica SL System)
- Filter Diameter: 82mm (E82)
- Focusing Range:
- at 24mm: 7.09" (0.18m) to infinity
- at 70mm: 14.96" (0.38m) to infinity
- Focusing Modes: Automatic (AF) or Manual (M)
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
- Lens Construction: 19 elements in 15 groups (including 6 aspherical surfaces)
- Angle of View:
- at 24mm: 82.3° Diagonal, 72.1° Horizontal, 51.8° Vertical
- at 70mm: 35.3° Diagonal, 29.6° Horizontal, 20° Vertical
- Dimensions: Diameter: 3.465", Length: 4.843"
- Weight: 30.19 ounces (856 grams)