About the Leica SF 40
Add better light to your compositions
Add better light to your compositions
An external flash is one of the most useful tools in a photographer's gear bag, adding controlled light to your subject for improved exposures. If you're a Leica shooter, the SF 40 can help you take excellent low-light photos without adding a ton of heft to your camera or your bag.
Versatile, compact design
The tilting/swiveling head lets you bounce light off a wall or ceiling for natural, even exposures. You can also face it forward when you're outside to add flattering fill light to portraits — especially helpful for avoiding harsh shadows when shooting in bright sunlight.
Geared toward photographers and videographers
I use bounce flash for still photography at nearly every event I cover. But the SF 40 is equally helpful for videographers, thanks to a selectable constant-light mode with adjustable output level for recording video. I especially like this flash's compact, lightweight form factor.
- designed for use with select Leica cameras, including S, SL, M, Q, and CL Series bodies
- adds high-quality fill or bounce flash to your subject
- ideal for portraits, indoor events, and product photography
- flash head can be tilted 90° upward and swiveled 180° left and right
- selectable constant-light mode with adjustable output level for recording video
Design and control:
- compact, lightweight design
- rotary control dials
- manual, automatic, and TTL (Through The Lens) exposure modes
- automatically adjusts to focal lengths between 24 and 105mm (35 mm equivalent)
- maximum guide number: 40 (at ISO 100)
Warranty and other info:
- includes clip-on softbox and mini-stand with 1/4" thread
- uses four AA batteries (not included)
- 2-1/2"W x 3-1/2"H x 3-1/2"D
- weight: 7.35 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 14624
What's in the box:
- SF 40 flash unit
- Soft box
- Flash stand
- Soft case
- Quick Start Guide
- Guarantee card
- FCC Note
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Leica SF 40
Overview: The Leica SF 40 system flash is designed for the S, SL, and M series cameras. It can also be used with Leica Q and CL cameras. It has a guide number of 40 at ISO 100 (105mm position), and coverage from 24-105mm. The compact, powerful flash comes with a flash stand, soft box, and handy storage case.
Adjustable Head: The SF 40 is capable of indirect and bounced flash. The flash head can be swiveled horizontally from 0° to 180° in both directions, with positions at 30°, 60°, 90°, 120°, 150°, and 180°. The head tilts upward from 0° to 90° with positions at 45° 60°, 75°, and 90°.
Soft Box: The included soft box clips onto the front of the flash head, and provides a softer light when full direct flash is not needed.
Compatible Focal Lengths: When controlled by the camera, the flash automatically adjusts to focal lengths from 24mm to 105mm (35mm equivalent). When the wide-angle diffuser is used, flash coverage is available for ultra-wide-angle exposures down to 16mm.
Flash Head: The flash head features a pull-out reflector panel that can help illuminate areas without harsh shadows. In addition, the flash has a spring-loaded wide-angle diffuser that helps provide better coverage for wide-angle shots.
AF Auxiliary Light: The SF 40 has a small light that assists the camera during autofocusing when lighting is low. The AF Auxiliary Lamp projects a striped pattern onto the subject that the camera uses for focusing. It has a range of 2.3' (0.7m) to 16.4' (5m) when a 50mm lens is attached to the camera. The camera must be set to Single AF (S-AF) in order for the AF Aux Lamp to activate.
Video Light: For videographers, the SF 40 has a constant LED video light. Using the back panel setting ring, you can set the output to any of 9 brightness levels.
Flash Modes Selection: On the rear panel, the rotary mode dial lets you set the desired Flash Mode from the following:
- Video Light: Turns on Video Light (9 selectable brightness levels)
- SF: Remote release without pre-flash
- SD: Remote release with pre-flash
- M: Manual setting (output levels selectable from 1/1 to 1/256 in 0.3EV increments)
- A: Full automatic flash mode (exposure controlled by the camera)
- TTL: Full automatic mode with selectable flash exposure compensation (+/- 2 EV in 0.5EV increments)
Stand: The SF 40 flash unit comes with a flash stand that can be used when remote flash is needed. The stand has a 1/4" thread for attaching it to a tripod, or it can be placed on a tabletop or other flat surface.
Power: The Leica SF 40 is powered by four "AA" batteries (not included).
- Guide Number: 131.23' / 40 m at ISO 100 (105mm position)
- Coverage (full frame): 24-105mm (16mm with wide-angle adapter)
- Manual Output Levels: 1/1 to 1/256
- Flash Duration: 1/800 to 1/20000
- Video Light Duration: approx. 3.5 hours
- Color Temperature: approx 5600 K (full output)
- ISO Range: ISO 50 to ISO 50000
- Number of Flashes: 220 to 1700 (depending on battery type and flash mode)
- Flash Recycle Time: 0.1 to 4 seconds
- AF Auxiliary Lamp Range: 2.3' to 16.4' (0.7-5m) with 50mm lens
- Dimensions: Width 2.48", Height 3.451", Depth 3.5"
- Weight: 7.35 ounces.