- lightweight magnesium alloy body and machined aluminum top plate with laser engraved lettering, numbers, and dials
- 47.3-megapixel effective recording
- full-frame CMOS sensor
- fixed Summilux 28mm f/1.7 ASPH lens offers superior light-gathering ability
- 11 elements in 9 groups; 3 aspherical lens elements
- approximately 1.25X digital zoom in 35mm crop mode, approximately 1.8X digital zoom in 50mm crop mode, or 2.7X digital zoom in 75mm crop mode
- JPEG resolution is reduced in crop modes; full-resolution RAW files maintain 28mm field of view
- Maestro II series image processor allows for fast autofocus and low-noise images
- variable ISO (50-50,000) for high-resolution, low-noise shots even in low light
- 3" high-resolution (1.04-million-dot) LCD touchscreen
- allows touch-focusing, touch-shooting, and gesture controls
- 3.68-million-dot electronic viewfinder with eye sensor for automatic switching between viewfinder and LCD screen
- weather-sealed for shooting in adverse conditions
- records photos and video onto SD memory cards (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
- Focus Peaking for sharp manual focus
- Shoots 4K video at 30 fps
- full-HD movie mode (up to 1080p/60p resolution)
- optical image stabilization for videos and still photos minimizes camera shake and image blur
- records in RAW (DNG) and JPEG formats for greater creative flexibility during editing
- burst shooting mode captures up to 10 frames per second at camera's full resolution
- high-speed autofocus
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for instant image transfer to compatible smartphones and tablets
- free Leica FOTOS mobile app adds remote control functionality to smartphones and tablets
- includes BP-SCL4 battery and charger, lens cap and hood, and neck strap
- 5-1/8"W x 3-3/16"H x 3-5/8"D
- weight (with battery and SD card): 25.3 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 19050
What's in the box:
- Digital camera (black)
- Lens Hood (installed)
- Lens cap (installed)
- Accessory shoe cover (installed)
- BP-SCL4 Lithium-ion battery (7.2V 1860mAh)
- BC-SCL4 Battery charger (DC output: 8.4V 0.85A)
- Thread protection ring
- 64" AC power cord (non-polarized C7 plug)
- 26" Euro AC power cord (non-polarized C7 plug)
- 43" Leather neck strap (black)
- Quick Start Guide
- Declaration of Conformity
- International Leica Society membership booklet
- Quality Control card (with serial number)
- Registration booklet
Leica Q2 Camera reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Leica Q2 Camera
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28mm|
|SD Cards||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Highest Resolution||8368 x 5584|
|Video Resolution||4096 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||25.3|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Leica Q2 (#19050) is a full-frame compact camera with unparalleled performance. The camera features a large 47.3 megapixel image sensor, high quality prime lens, and a high-capacity rechargeable battery. The Q2 has a full metal housing made of die-cast Magnesium, and sealed against dust and moisture, to let you shoot in all types of weather conditions.
3" LCD Monitor: The camera has a 3" touch-sensitive, TFT LCD monitor with approximately 1,040,000 pixels. The monitor is protected by a glass cover made of extremely hard and scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass. Some functions can be controlled by fingertip gestures (tap, swipe, drag) on the touch-sensitive monitor.
OLED Viewfinder: In addition to the 3" LCD monitor, the Q2 has an OLED electronic viewfinder. The viewfinder has a 4:3 aspect ratio and a resolution of 1280 x 960 pixels x 3 colors, or 3.68MP. The diopter lets you adjust the focus of the viewfinder to your eyesight, and an eye sensor automatically switches between the viewfinder and monitor as you bring the camera up to your eye, or away from it.
Lens: The Q2 is equipped with Leica Summilux 28mm f/1.7 ASPH lens. With a full-frame (35mm) image sensor, the focal length and angle of view are a true 28mm. The aperture range is f/1.7 to f/16 in 1/3 EV increments. The lens can focus from approximately 11.81" (30cm) to ∞ (infinity). In Macro mode, the cameras focus range is 6.69" (17cm) to 11.81" (30cm). The lens features 11 elements in 9 groups, including 3 aspherical surfaces.
Lens Hood: The lens is protected by a matching lens hood that helps reduce vignetting. The lens hood can be removed by unscrewing it from the lens and replacing it with the supplied thread protection ring. The included slip-on lens cap only fits the lens hood. A matching 49mm lens cap is available from Leica to protect the lens when the lens hood is not in use.
Image Sensor: The camera features a full-frame (24mm x 36mm) CMOS image sensor, with 50.4-million total pixels and 47.3 effective pixels. The sensor has a native 3:2 aspect ratio.
Still Image Recording: The Leica Q2 can record still images in JPEG and DNG (Digital Negative) formats. JPEG images can be recorded in 3 sizes: Large, Medium, and Small. If desired, you can record a full-resolution DNG (RAW data) format, along with the JPEG image. DNG photos are always taken at full resolution of 8368 x 5584 (47MP). To edit and process DNG images, you will need to use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom software.
Digital Frame Selector (Digital Zoom): The camera lets you record photos at two other trimming sizes, corresponding to the images you would get with lenses with focal lengths of 35mm (1.25x), 50mm (1.8x), or 75mm (2.7x). When you select one of these trimmed sizes, a frame will appear in the viewfinder or monitor showing you the area of the photo that will be captured. When photos are taken at 35mm, 50mm, or 75mm, the DNG (RAW) image will still remain at the 28mm full frame size.
Still Image Resolution: Still images can be captured at the following resolutions:
|Native Resolution||Using Digital Frame Selector|
|28mm (full frame)||35mm (1.25x zoom)||50mm (1.8x zoom)||75mm (2.7x zoom)|
47MP: 8368 x 5584
|30MP: 6704 x 4472||15MP: 4688 x 3128||7MP: 3136 x 2096|
|24MP: 6000 x 4000||15MP 4800 x 3200||8MP 3360 x 2240||3MP: 2240 x 1496|
|12MP: 4271 x 2848||8MP 3424 x 2288||4MP 2400 x 1600||2MP: 1600 x 1072|
Drive Modes: In the menu, you can choose from the following Drive Modes:
- Single: The camera takes one photo at a time.
- Continuous: You can record a series of still photos at different speeds: Low (2 fps), Medium (6 fps), High (10 fps), or Super (20 fps).
- Interval: You can record a series of still photos to observe a motion sequence over a long period of time. You can set the number of photos (1 to 9999), the interval between photos (1 second to 24h 59m 59s), and the countdown to the first exposure (1 second to 24h 59m 59s).
- Exposure Bracketing: You can record a series of pictures, each with a different exposure value. In the menu, you can select the following values: Number of frames (3 or 5), EV Steps (1/3EV to 3EV in 1/3EV steps), Exposure Compensation (-3EV to +3EV, 1/3EV steps), and Automatic/Manual
Self-Timer: The Self-Timer feature lets you take pictures with a preset time delay. You can choose a 2-second delay, which will help reduce camera shake, or a 12-second delay to allow the photographer to get into the frame after pressing the shutter release. Use of a tripod with the self-timer is highly recommended.
Video Recording: In addition to shooting stills, the Q2 can record videos in MP4 format. You can choose between Cinema 4K (4096 x 2160 at 24 fps), 4K (3840 x 2160 at 30 or 24 fps), or Full HD (1920 x 1080 at 24, 30, 60, or 120 fps). Audio is recorded in AAC format using the built-in stereo microphone.
Memory Cards: The Q2 has a memory card slot that will accept SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards, including UHS-I and UHS-II compliant cards. Memory cards of less than 1 GB are not supported. Cards between 1 GB and 2 GB must be formatted before first use.
Wireless Functions: The Leica Q2 can be controlled wirelessly via Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n -- 2.4GHz, and 802.11ac -- 2.4 + 5GHz) and Bluetooth (v4.2 Bluetooth Low Energy). The Leica FOTOS app is required for connecting the camera to your smartphone or tablet.
Leica FOTOS App: You can share your photos wirelessly via email, Instagram, Facebook, and other social media sites through the camera's integrated Wi-Fi function. The Leica FOTOS app connects your camera to your smartphone or tablet, and lets you control the camera remotely, transfer photos from your camera to your smart device, manage your camera settings, and see every detail and check your exposure of your images. The Leica FOTOS app is available for iOS devices running iOS 11.2 or later, and Android phones and tablets operating on Android 6.0 and up. The Leica FOTOS Pro Version is also available for iPad by paid subscription.
Image Stabilization: The camera features optical image stabilization to help prevent blurred images caused by camera shake. You can turn on image stabilization for still images and movies.
Shutter Types: The Q2 features a mechanical shutter and an electronic shutter. The mechanical shutter's available speeds range from 120 seconds and 1/2000 second. The electronic shutter greatly expands the shutter speed range, and can function completely noiseless, if needed. The shutter speed range of the electronic shutter only is 1/2500 to 1/40000 second. When both mechanical and electronic shutters are used, the extended range of shutter speeds is 120 sec to 1/40000.
Exposure: The Leica Q2 offers four exposure modes which are selected by the position of the shutter speed dial (on top of the camera) and the aperture ring (around the lens):
- Automatic Program (P): The exposure is controlled by an automatic shutter speed and automatic aperture setting. Using the top-mounted thumbwheel, you can shift the aperture for greater depth of field, or shift the shutter speed for faster shutter speeds. In these cases, the overall exposure, or brightness of the image, stays the same.
- Aperture Priority (A): In Aperture Priority mode, the shutter speed is set to automatic and the aperture setting in chosen manually. The correct shutter speed is automatically calculated for proper exposure based on the manually set aperture. The camera sets the shutter speed between 1/40000 and 120 min (max setting for ISO100/200).
- Shutter Speed Priority (T): In Shutter Speed Priority mode, the aperture is set to automatic, and the shutter speed is set manually. Faster shutter speeds can "freeze" the action, while slower speeds creates a feeling of motion in the image. The aperture is set by the camera between f/1.7 and f/16.
- Manual Exposure (M): In Manual Mode, the aperture setting and shutter speed are both set manually.
Scene Modes: In addition to the P-A-S-M modes, the Scene Mode menu gives you 13 more options for obtaining the optimal exposure based on a selected scene type. You can choose from the following: Full Auto, Sports, Portrait, Landscape, Night Portrait, Snow/Beach, Fireworks, Candle Light, Sunset, Digiscoping, Miniature Effect, Panorama, and HDR.
Focusing Modes: The Leica Q2 offers both automatic and manual focusing. When Auto Focus is chosen, you can choose one-time (AF-s) or continuous focusing (AFc), and the following focus modes: multi-field, spot, field, tracking, and face detection. If Manual Focus is selected, focusing is obtained by turning the focus ring out of the AF position. To assist you during manual focusing, you can use Focus Peaking and Auto Magnification. Touch AF lets you directly choose the focus point by touching the subject on the touchscreen.
Exposure Metering: The camera offers the following exposure metering methods: Multi-Field, Center-Weighted, and Spot.
White Balance: White balance makes sure the color rendering is natural regardless of the light source. You can choose from the following presets: Automatic WB, Daylight, Cloudy, Shadow, Tungsten, and Flash. You can manually set the white balance by taking an image of a white or neutral (gray) surface. Color Temperature values between 2000K and 11500K can be set directly, giving you a wide range of color temperatures that occur in real life.
ISO Sensitivity: The camera can set the ISO speed automatically or manually. With Auto ISO, the sensitivity range and slowest shutter speed can be specified. You can also set the ISO manually between ISO 50 and ISO 50000 in 1 EV increments.
Flash Photography: The Q2 does not have a built-in flash, but has an accessory shoe for adding an external flash, such as a Leica SF40 or SF60. Other commercially available flash units with a standard flash foot and positive center contact can be used as well. The camera uses a TTL (through-the-lens) flash metering function to determin the necessary flash intensity. The camera fires one or more pre-flashes before taking the actual picture. Flash modes include: Automatic flash, Manual flash, and Automatic flash with slower shutter speeds.
Image Playback: The Leica Q2 lets you play back still images one at a time, or in an index of 12 (4 x 3) or 30 (6 x 5) thumbnail images.
Power Requirements: The camera is powered by the Leica BP-SCL4 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (7.2V, 1860mAh). The battery charges in approximately 3 hours using the supplied BC-SCL4 battery charger. A fully charged battery has the capacity for approximately 350 exposures.
The Leica Q2 Camera replaces these items
- f/1.7 Summilux lens offers superior light-gathering ability
- 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor
- lightwight, classically-styled magnesium and aluminum body