20.1-megapixel compact camera with 15X optical zoom, Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® (Light Gold)
Our take on the Leica C-Lux by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
A luxury travel zoom that's great for everyday use
The Leica C-Lux features a full 1" CMOS sensor that records fine details and sharp colors, in a camera that fits easily into a pocket or small bag. With outstanding image quality and 15X optical zoom, it's easy to document the special moments in your life in high-resolution photos or 4K video.
A high-performance lens for capturing subjects near and far
Leica lenses are famous for their razor-sharp image quality. The C-Lux features a built-in Leica DC Vario-Elmar f/3.3-6.4 lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 34-360mm. You can rely on it for crystal-clear photos and videos in a range of lighting conditions, with up to 15X optical zoom.
Great shots on the fly
With its fast 49-point autofocus system, the C-Lux is great for capturing spontaneous moments. And it can do a respectable ten frames per second in continuous shooting mode. Intuitive scene modes provide assistance for shooting landscapes, portraits, night scenes, and more so you can concentrate on shooting without worrying about your settings.
The C-Lux's built-in Wi-Fi lets you quickly upload photos and videos to a compatible mobile device. From there, it's easy to share with friends and family on social media. You can also use your device as a remote to change the camera's settings and fire the shutter, even when you're in the picture.
- 20.1-megapixel 1" MOS sensor
- Leica DC Vario-Elmar lens with 15X optical zoom (34-360mm 35mm equvialent focal range)
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for easy sharing and control from smart devices
- 2.33-million-dot LCD electronic viewfinder for easy eye-level composition
- 3" high-resolution (1.24-million-dot) LCD touchscreen
- fast autofocus system with 49 metering points
- Face Detection AF for sharp candids and portraits
- built-in pop-up flash
- includes rechargeable BP-DC15 lithium-ion battery and battery charger, and USB cable
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 10 frames per second
- shutter speed range: 60-1/2,000 seconds (30-1/16000 seconds with electronic shutter), up to 120 seconds in Time mode
- ISO sensitivity range from ISO 125-6400, expandable to ISO 25600 equivalent
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- 11 scene modes, including Clear Portrait and Silky Skin
- 22 creative control effects including Soft Focus, Toy Camera, and Retro for creating unique images
- bracketing functions for exposure, aperture, focus, and white balance
- Panorama shooting mode
- interval timer shooting for time-lapse photos and videos
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: JPEG and RAW
- movie file format: MP4
- 4K Ultra HD video recording at 30 frames per second
- shoots Full HD video at 1920 x 1080 resolution
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface (cable included)
- micro HDMI (Type D) output (cable not included)
- 4-1/2"W x 2-11/16"H x 1-13/16"D
- weight: 12 oz.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (Light Gold)
- BP-DC15-U Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 1025 mAh 7.4Wh)
- ACA-DC16-U AC adapter with USB output (DC output 5V 1A)
- 23" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Guarantee Card
Why Shop With Us?12 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-360mm|
|Highest Resolution||5472 x 3648|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||12|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Leica C-Lux is a high-quality point-and-shoot digital camera with a 15x zoom lens and large image sensor. The C-Lux has a high-resolution 3" LCD monitor and an electronic viewfinder for precisely framing your shots. It comes with a pop-up flash, a wrist strap, rechargeable battery, and AC adapter.
Lens: Leica lenses have been known for their high quality and clarity for 150 years. The Leica C-Lux is equipped with a DC Vario-Elmar 8.8-132mm f/3.3-6.4 ASPH 15x zoom lens, that is perfectly matched to its image sensor. The 35mm equivalent focal length of the lens is 24-360mm, perfect for portraits, landscapes, architecture, macro, and reportage photography.
Zoom Types: The camera has a 15x optical zoom. Some resolutions let you extend the focal length to a maximum of 30x (Extended Optical Zoom). The camera's Intelligent Resolution technology can also extend the focal length to twice the original magnification while minimizing the deterioration of the image quality (i.Zoom). In addition, a 4x Digital Zoom can be used in conjunction with the Optical or Extended Optical Zoom, but the image quality deteriorates as you extend the focal length.
Image Sensor: The Leica C-Lux is equipped with a 1" MOS image sensor with 20.8-million total pixels and 20.1-million effective pixels. This gives the camera the ability to take 20MP JPEG and RAW still images and 4K (3840 x 2160) and Full HD movies (1920 x 1080).
Monitor/Electronic Viewfinder: The Leica C-Lux has a 3.0" TFT LCD color monitor with approximately 1,240,000 dots. The monitor provides a 100% (approx.) field of view and a 3:2 aspect ratio. A special coating on the monitor repels smudges and fingerprints. In addition to the LCD monitor, the Leica C-Lux has a 0.21" LCD Viewfinder with approximately 2,330,000 dots, and a 100% field of view. Its -4 to +3 diopter lets you adjust the viewfinder to your vision. An eye sensor in the viewfinder automatically switches between the viewfinder and the monitor as you raise/lower the camera to/from your eye.
Memory Cards: You can record still images and movies onto SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards up to 128 GB. The camera is also compatible with memory cards with the UHS-I UHS Speed Class 3 standard.
Still Images: The Leica C-Lux can record JPEG images with Standard and Fine compression rates. In addition, RAW format images can be captured, and can be processed in the camera or on your computer with appropriate software to edit and convert raw data to JPEG images. You can also combine RAW images with JPEG images in Standard or Fine, saving images in both file formats simultaneously. Still images can be recorded in the following sizes and aspect ratios:
|Large||17.5M: 4864 x 3648||20M: 5472 x 3648||17M: 5472 x 3080||13.5M: 3648 x 3648|
|Medium||9M: 3456 x 2592||10M: 3888 x 2592||8M: 3840 x 2160||6.5M: 2592 x 2592|
|Small||4.5M: 2432 x 1824||5M: 2736 x 1824||2M: 1920 x 1080||3.5M: 1824 x 1824|
Video Recording: You can record movies in MP4 format in 4K, Full HD, and HD with stereo AAC audio. Recording 4K movies requires a UHS Speed Class 3 memory card. Playback of 4K motion pictures requires connection to a 4K-compatible TV via HDMI. Video recording options include:
|Recording Quality||Resolution||Frame Rate||Bit Rate|
|4K||3840 x 2160||30p||100 Mbps|
|Full HD||1920 x 1080||60p||28 Mbps|
|HD||1280 x 720||30p||10 Mbps|
Recording Modes: The Leica C-Lux has ten recording modes that can be selected on the top-mounted Mode Dial:
- Snapshot / Snapshot Plus: These modes are recommended for those who prefer a point and shoot style. The camera automatically selects the settings to match the subject and recording environment. The Snapshot Plus mode offers more user-adjustable settings and menus than Snapshot Mode.
- Program (P): The camera automatically sets the shutter speed and the aperture value according to the brightness of the subject. The Program Shift function lets you change the aperture and shutter speed values while maintaining the same exposure.
- Aperture Priority (A): Aperture Priority allows you to manually set the aperture value to expand or reduce the depth of field (f/3.3 to f/8.0) while the camera automatically sets the appropriate shutter speed based on the exposure.
- Shutter Priority (S): Shutter Priority allows you to manually set the shutter speed to freeze action or create a sense of motion, while the camera automatically sets the appropriate aperture value. The shutter speed ranges from 60 sec to 1/2000 sec. with mechanical shutter, and 1-1/16000 sec with electronic shutter.
- Manual (M): You can manually choose the exposure you want by manually setting both the aperture and shutter speed.
- Creative Video: This mode lets you change the aperture value, shutter speed, or ISO sensitivity while shooting movies. You can also shoot slow motion videos at 120 fps.
- Custom Settings Menu (C): You can save up to 3 sets of your favorite camera settings in the Custom Settings Menu. The settings are labeled C1, C2, and C3.
- Panorama: With the Mode Dial set to Panorama, consecutive photos taken while the camera is panned are combined to form a panorama. A Standard panorama takes a 180° photograph, while a Wide panorama extends the arc to nearly 360°.
- Scene: You can select an appropriate Scene Mode to suit the subject and recording conditions and the camera will set optimal exposure, color, and focus. Available scene modes include: Clear Portrait, Silky Skin, Backlit Softness, Clear in Backlight, Relaxing Tone, Sweet Child's Face, Distinct Scenery, Bright Blue Sky, Romantic Sunset Glow, Vivid Sunset Glow, Glistening Water, Clear Nightscape, Cool Night Sky, Warm Glowing Nightscape, Artistic Nightscape, Glittering Illuminations, Handheld Night Shot, Clear Night Portrait, Soft Image of a Flower, Appetizing Food, Cute Dessert, Freeze Animal Motion, Clear Sports Shot, and Monochrome.
- Creative Control Mode (COL): Several picture effects can be applied to your photos. Using the thumb wheel, you can preview each picture effect in the monitor before shooting. Available picture effects include: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.
Shutter Types: The Leica C-Lux has two shutter types from which to choose: a mechanical shutter and an electronic shutter. The mechanical shutter starts the exposure electronically and ends it using the mechanical shutter. Shutter speeds from 60 seconds to 1/2000 second are available. The mechanical shutter sound cannot be silenced. The electronic shutter starts and ends the exposure electronically, and can provide shutter speeds of 1 second to 1/16000 seconds. In the menu, you can choose between the mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter, or let the camera select it automatically.
White Balance: You can set the White Balance automatically, manually (using measured results), or use one of the WB presets, based on the type of lighting on the subject. White Balance settings include: Automatic, Clear Sky, Cloudy, Shade, Incandescent, Flash, Manually set (4 values saved), and Color Temperature.
ISO: The ISO sensitivity setting specifies the possible shutter speeds and aperture settings based on a particular brightness. High sensitivities allow faster shutter speeds and/or smaller apertures. You can choose from Auto ISO (up to 3200), Intelligent ISO (up to 3200), or set it manually between ISO 125 to ISO 12500 in 1 EV steps. When Extended ISO is on, ISO settings of 80, 100, and 25000 are possible.
Optical Image Stabilization: The camera has an optical 5-axis compensation system to correct camera shake. There are two levels of compensation:
- Normal: Normal stabilization corrects vertical and horizontal camera shake.
- Panning: Panning stabilization corrects vertical camera shake that occurs while panning.
Drive Modes: Several Drive Modes are available on the C-Lux:
- Single: One picture is taken when the shutter button is pressed.
- Burst: Pictures are taken as long as the shutter button is pressed. Available frame rates include: High Speed (10 fps), Middle Speed (7 fps), Low Speed (2 fps). If the camera is set to Auto Focus Flexible (AFF) or Auto Focus Continuous (AFC), the frame rates are 6 fps (High or Middle speed) and 2 fps (Low speed). The number of recordable pictures is 85 or more without RAW files, or 28 or more with RAW files.
- 4K Photo: In this mode, you can take a series of photographs with a resolution of nearly 8 million pixels with a frame rate of 30 fps. You can select and save a frame from the resulting photo series file. (UHS-I U3 card required.)
- Post Focus: You can record 4K photo series files while changing the focus point. After shooting, you can select the best photo.
- Self Timer: Photos are taken after a preset delay after pressing the shutter button. You can choose between 10 seconds (for self-portraits), 2 seconds (to prevent camera shake), or 10 seconds with 3 photos taken at intervals of 2 seconds.
Time Lapse Shot: The camera can automatically create a series of photographs that can be combined into a time lapse motion picture or group pictures to be viewed consecutively. You can select a start time of "now" or delay the start up to 23 hours 59 minutes ahead. The number of pictures recorded can be set from 1 to 9999 at an interval of between 1 second and 99 minutes 59 seconds.
Focus Modes: You can set the focus automatically or manually. There are three Auto Focus modes: Autofocus Single (AFS) for still subjects, Autofocus Flexible (AFF) for subjects whose movements can't be predicted, and Autofocus Continuous (AFC) for moving subjects. Other special focusing modes include: Macro Focus, Face/Eye Detection, AF Tracking, 49-area Focus, Custom Multi Focus, 1-area Focusing, and Pinpoint Focusing. The focusing range is as follows:
|Focus Switch Selector||Max. Wide Zoom||Max. Tele Zoom|
|Auto Focus||0.5m (1'6") - ∞||1m (3'3") - ∞|
|AF Macro, Manual Focus, Snapshot Modes, Motion Pictures||3 cm (1.187") - ∞||1m (3'3") - ∞|
Metering: To set the camera to the lighting conditions, the Leica C-Lux offers three Exposure Metering Modes: Multiple Field, Center-weighted, and Spot Metering.
Optical Image Stabilization: The Leica C-Lux offers Optical Image Stabilization to detect and compensate for camera shake. Normal Mode compensates for vertical and horizontal camera shake. Panning Mode compensates for vertical camera shake, ideal for use while panning the camera. You can turn off Image Stabilization when not needed.
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth: You can wirelessly connect the camera to your smartphone or tablet by Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) or Bluetooth 4.2 (BLE) using the free Leica C-Lux App, available for Apple iPhone and iPad (with iOS 9.0 or later) and Android devices (running version 4.2 and up). The Leica C-Lux App allows you to remotely control the camera from a smartphone or tablet, and take still images and movies remotely. You can also copy images from the camera to the smartphone/tablet via wireless LAN and share them with others on social networks. Location information from your smartphone can be written to a recorded image for viewing images on a map.
Flash: The Leica C-Lux has a built-in pop-up flash. The flash range is 2'-22' at maximum wide angle, and 3'3"-13' at maximum telephoto. There are 4 basic flash modes: Forced Flash On, Forced Flash with Red-Eye reduction, Slow Sync, and Slow Sync with Red-Eye reduction. If the flash exposure is too dark or bright, you can adjust it with Flash Exposure Compensation between -2EV and +2EV in 1/3-EV steps.
Battery Information: The Leica C-Lux is powered by the BP-DC15-U Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V, 1025mAh, 7.4Wh). The battery charges in approximately 190 minutes, using the supplied BC-DC15-U battery charger. The estimated battery life is as follows:
- Using Monitor: Approx. 370 shots or approx. 185 minutes
- Using Viewfinder: Approx. 250 shots (350 with EVF in ECO mode) or approx. 125 minutes
- Recording Videos (using Monitor):
- Max. Recording Time: Approx. 100 min (HD) or 90 min (4K)
- Actual Recording Time: Approx. 50 min (HD) or 45 min (4K)
Image Playback: You can view one image at a time on the LCD monitor. Playback zoom allows you to enlarge a single image to see details in the photo. You can use touch screen actions, such as spread, pinch, and drag, to enlarge, reduce, or move the enlarged area. You can increase the magnification by 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x. Other ways to view images include: 12-image index view, 30-image index view, and Calendar View.
Slide Show: You can show your pictures and movies automatically in a Slide Show. You can choose the duration (1 sec, 2 sec, 3 sec, or 5 sec), Repeat function, Music, and Sound.
RAW Processing: RAW images taken with the camera can be processed in the camera and saved in the JPEG format. The following edits can be made to the images before they are "developed": White Balance, Brightness Correction, Photo Style, i.Dynamic, Contrast, Highlight, Shadow, Saturation/Color Tone, Filter Effect, Noise Reduction, i.Resolution, Sharpness, and Setup.
HDMI: The Leica C-Lux has a Micro HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to a High-Definition TV. A Micro HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required. For viewing 4K movies recorded on the camera, you must connect the camera to a 4K-capable HDTV via HDMI.
USB Connection: The Leica C-Lux has a Micro-B USB connection for connecting the camera to a computer for uploading pictures, charging the battery, and firmware updates. You can also connect the camera to a PictBridge-compatible printer to print your still images. A 2' USB cable is included.
Downloadable Software: No software is included with the camera, however, Leica provides access to software for downloading, once you have registered your camera on the Leica Camera AG homepage. Once you have downloaded the software, you can copy images and videos from the camera onto your computer, and edit and convert RAW image files to JPEG. The camera can be connected to computers capable of recognizing a mass storage device, including those supporting Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Mac OS X v10.5 to macOS 10.13.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
20.1-megapixel compact camera with 15X optical zoom, Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®$1,050.00
Canon PowerShot SX740 HS
20.3-megapixel digital camera with Wi-Fi® and 40X optical zoom
20-megapixel digital camera with Wi-Fi®
Leica Q (Typ 116)
24-megapixel fixed-lens full-frame compact camera with Wi-Fi®$4,495.00