About the Leica 8x20 Monovid
Leica's lightweight, easy-to-stash Monovid 8x20 monocular gives you fast access to an enhanced view.
When you're traveling light, the Leica 8x20 Monovid could be just what you need to enhance your view of the action around you. This lightweight and compact high-performance monocular goes where binoculars fear to tread — backpacking, mountain biking, or even to a concert or sporting event. Anywhere you just can't afford the albatross of binoculars around your neck, take the Monovid.
So many times with binoculars, by the time I stop my bike and get them out, my bird has flown. With the Monovid, just reach into your pocket — or the handy included belt-loop case — and get your closer look before you can say "glossy ibis." Its fantastic coated glass lens system will give you bright, clear, high-contrast images with lifelike colors, all through a monocular about the size of a bratwurst.
Need to see close-up?
The Monovid comes with a close-up conversion lens that lets you see the small stuff like insects or flowers from as close as 10 inches. Screw the close-up lens onto the front of the monocular and you'll see the fine details — hairy insect legs and all.
When you're not using it, the conversion lens fits safely in the included belt loop case. And this leather case's silent magnetic fastener won't frighten nearby wildlife away when you open or shut it.
The right stuff for wet conditions
The Monovid's nitrogen-filled aluminum body prevents misting, and its AquaDura™ lens coating repels water and dirt. It's also fully waterproof to a depth of 5m (16-1/2 feet) — so you can feel safe scanning and focusing it even in the rain or salt spray.
Experience Leica quality and design
Leica optics are among the best in the world. I learned photography on my dad's old 1950's Leica M3, and I bet it's still taking great images for the lucky person he eventually sold it to. With top-notch glass and coatings coupled with design refinements that reflect Leica's 150-year-plus history in the optics business, this compact monocular is also built to last a lifetime — and more.
- 8x monocular with Leica AquaDura® lens coating to protect the optics from water, dust and dirt
- nitrogen-filled waterproof and fogproof design for use in all weather conditions
- HDC® multicoating increases contrast and provides true color rendition
- roof-prism design with phase-correcting P40 coating
- die-cast aluminum body
- sliding eyecup provides comfortable viewing with or without eyeglasses
- durable leather armor exterior offers non-slip grip
- magnification: 8x
- objective lens diameter: 20mm
- objective angle of view: 6.3°
- linear field of view at 1,000 yards: 330 feet
- internal focus via lens barrel ring
- close focus distance: 5.9 feet
- close focus distance with included close focusing lens: 9-13/16"-11-13/16" inches (25cm-30cm)
- exit pupil: 2.5mm
- eye relief: 15mm
- twilight factor: 12.7
- 1-3/8" diameter x 3-13/16"L
- weight: approximately 3.95 oz. (monocular); 4.44 oz. (with close focus lens)
- warranty: 30 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- close focus conversion lens
- leather case with belt loop and silent magnetic closure
- wrist strap
- eyepiece protection cover
- MFR # 40390
What's in the box:
- 8x20 Monocular (black)
- Eyepiece cover (installed)
- Closeup lens
- Wrist strap
- Leather case
- Guarantee Card
- Serial number card
Leica 8x20 Monovid reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Leica 8x20 Monovid
Overview: The Leica Monovid 8x20 (#40390) monocular is lightweight and easy to carry in your pocket or purse. It has 8x magnification, and comes with an accessory closeup lens for viewing objects as close as 10-12 inches. The Monovid 8x20 also comes with a wrist strap, eyepiece cap, and a genuine leather carrying case.
Waterproof: The Monovid 8x20 is water-tight to a depth of 5 meters (16.5 feet). The aluminum housing is filled with nitrogen to prevent fogging and condensation forming on the internal elements.
Premium Leica Optics: The Monovid monocular features premium Leica optics for sharp, high-contrast images with superior color fidelity. Leica's High Durable Coating (HDC) protects the outer lenses from scratches, and the AquaDura Coating makes water and oil bead up for easier cleaning. Internally, the roof prism is treated with P40 phase correction coating.
Closeup Lens: The Monovid 8x20 monocular includes a closeup lens that screws into the inner thread of the objective lens for viewing objects at a closer distance. The normal close-focusing distance is 5.9 feet. With the closeup lens installed, you can view items as close as 9.84" to 11.81" (25-30 cm) away.
Eyecup: The adjustable rubber eyecup makes it easy to position your eye at the correct eye-point for the greatest comfort. The eyecup can be extended for non-eyeglass wearers, or retracted to accommodate eyeglass wearers. The eye relief is 15mm.
Leica Passport Warranty: Leica Sport Optics are covered by a new best-in-class warranty and product protection plan. The Leica Passport Warranty is completely free, and includes a fully transferrable no-fault 10-year accidental damage cover plan and a 30-year manufacturer's defect warranty. No warranty card or receipt is needed.
- Model: Noctivid 8x20 (#40 390)
- Magnification: 8x
- Objective Diameter: 20 mm
- Close Focusing Distance: 5.9 feet (1.8 meters)
- Field of View at 1000 meters: 110 meters
- Exit Pupil: 2.5 mm
- Eye Relief: 15 mm
- Objective angle of view: 6.3°
- Twilight Factor: 12.7
- Dimensions: Diameter 1.394", Length 3.805"
- Weight: 3.95 ounces (4.44 ounces with closeup lens)