About the AppTronics SmartNav 5R
AppTronics' SmartNav 5R replacement mirror looks like nearly every other rear-view mirror you've ever used, but it's far from ordinary. This supermirror adds helpful turn-by-turn GPS navigation, hands-free Bluetooth connectivity with your phone, and a dash camera — all in one elegant device, designed to match most interiors. Plus, a built-in radar detector helps you be the safest driver you can be. It tracks laser and radar bands, giving you the option of audible alerts as well as visual ones on the mirror's 5" display. And if you're interested in adding an optional back-up camera to your vehicle, the SmartNav 5R features a composite video input so it can work as a rear-view monitor as well. It also boasts built-in speakers, an FM transmitter to wirelessly send audio to your car's stereo, and an auxiliary output for connecting to your car's sound system, so you have multiple options for listening.
To install the SmartNav 5R, you can remove your existing rear-view mirror and windshield anchor to use the App-Tronics Universal Mirror Mount kit (included with your App-Tronics mirror). You'll need to pick up a rear-view mirror repair kit at an auto parts store for the additional adhesive required to complete the installation. If you would prefer to mount the SmartNav 5R on your car's existing rear-view mirror anchor, we offer a selection of our vehicle-specific mount adapters that work in most vehicles.
Drive Application's intuitive interface
Drive Application lets you navigate quickly through the SmartNav 5R's features. You can go to the navigation screen, adjust settings, and add or delete locations in the mirror's built-in database of traffic cameras and speed enforcement areas. The Drive Application screen also displays your current speed and bearing, plus the time. You can also use Drive Application to prioritize what you need to hear while driving, whether it's turn-by-turn directions, incoming calls, or music you might be checking out through the mirror.
Guidance by iGO Primo
The SmartNav 5R features a built-in GPS antenna, which allows it to pinpoint your location and find a route to your destination. Its iGO Primo software offers comprehensive coverage across most of the U.S., so you can explore without hesitation. You can follow the directions on the mirror's 5" inset as the voice prompts alert you to upcoming turns, or turn the navigation display off and follow the turn-by-turn audio directions only. The maps include 3D images of select buildings and terrain features, plus millions of searchable points of interest for when it's time to make a pit stop. It also includes other convenient nav features like lane guidance, realistic sign graphics, route avoidances, alternate routes, and automatic route recalculation.
The SmartNav 5R's advanced Bluetooth 4.0 pairs easily with your compatible phone so you can take and make calls hands-free as you drive. You'll be able to access your phonebook through the mirror, and it even offers up a keypad on the screen for numerical dialing. Got some of your favorite tunes on your smartphone? A2DP technology lets you stream those songs to the mirror, which can then transmit the audio to your car's stereo.
Dash cam with DVR
Got an inexperienced driver on your hands? The SmartNav 5R's adjustable front-facing camera automatically films and records the action ahead of your vehicle in standard or high definition, so you can make sure your drivers aren't following too closely. It'll even double as a security camera while you're parked. The footage is stored on an included removable 8GB microSD™ memory card, and is viewable right on the mirror's screen. You can also transfer the footage to your computer for future use. You'll find the dash camera quite handy for insurance purposes, or when filling out an accident report for the police.
When it's time for some entertainment, the SmartNav 5R's got you covered. You can load your own microSD cards with music files and access your jams through the mirror's Media Player. Built-in text-to-speech technology lets the mirror read your favorite eBooks aloud to you as you drive. And when you're parked, you can check out photo and video files on the mirror's 5" inset display.
Things to check before ordering
Your windshield angle must be between 20-50 degrees, with no cracks anywhere in the windshield and/or chips near the mirror mount. You'll have to relocate remote start/keyless entry antennas, quick-pass devices, or other similar transceivers if they're within a foot of your mirror, as they'll interfere with the ability to acquire a GPS signal. You can't use the SmartNav 5R mirror on the following:
- motorcycles, RVs, boats, ATVs, snowmobiles, tractors, go-karts, etc.;
- vehicles made before 1982;
- vehicles over 8500 pounds;
- vehicles with metallic tint on the front windshield.
Sorry, but we cannot ship radar detectors to Virginia or the District of Columbia.
- 10" wide replacement mirror with Bluetooth, GPS navigation, dash camera, 5" inset display, and radar detector
- universal mount and hardware included
- built-in Bluetooth 4.0 for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- GPS guidance by iGO Primo provides turn-by-turn directions with voice prompts
- built-in dash camera with automated DVR (footage records onto included microSD card)
- built-in microphone and pair of speakers
- compatible as monitor for most rear-view cameras
- includes 8GB microSD card (memory upgradable to 32GB)
- Media Player plays digital movie, music, eBook, and photo files
- button and touchscreen controls
- FM transmitter sends audio wirelessly to your car's stereo
- inputs: 2 microSD card slots (one for dash cam DVR), composite audio/video input
- outputs: 3.5mm auxiliary output
- compatible with optional App-Tronics parking sensors
- 9-13/16"W x 3-5/16"H x 1-5/8"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SN-5R
What's in the box:
- Rear-view mirror
- Rear-view camera (w/ attached 57" power/signal cable)
- 8GB microSD card (pre-loaded)
- 8' Power/Signal cable
- 20' Composite video cable
- Mounting brackets
- 5 Machine screws
- 2 Self-tapping screws
- Installation Guide
AppTronics SmartNav 5R reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the AppTronics SmartNav 5R
Replacement All-in-One Rear-View Mirror: The App-Tronics SmartNav 5r is an all-in-one rearview mirror which provides GPS navigation, Radar detection, a front-mounted camera with built-in DVR, Bluetooth hands-free technology, & microSD card player. The App-Tronics SmartNav 5r is designed to replace your existing rear-view mirror. It comes with a universal mounting bracket. In addition to this universal bracket, you'll also need a windshield mount repair kit which can be purchased at most auto parts store (sold separately). App-Tronics also offers a variety of vehicle specific mounting brackets which can be purchased separately (see accessory list). In addition to mounting the replacement rear-view mirror, you'll need to hardwire +12V constant power, +12V accessory power, +12V backup lamp, and ground connections. A composite video cable provides connection between the rear-view mirror and the included rear-view camera.
Note: Click here for vehicle compatibility chart.
5" LCD Monitor: The App-Tronics SmartNav 5r's rear-view mirror features an integrated 5" LCD screen with a resolution of 800 x 480. The integrated 5" LCD screen is centered on the rear-view mirror. The LCD screen can be used to view the onboard navigation map, radar detection visual alerts, the built-in front-camera, the connected rear-view camera, or playback of video on a microSD card. Only one image can be viewed at a time. You can adjust brightness, color, and wallpaper background of the LCD monitor.
Note: The LCD display allows you to see right through the image to safely see behind you in the vehicle.
DVR Camera: The App-Tronics SmartNav 5's DVR front-camera function allows you to record video of the road ahead of you and audio inside the vehicle while you are driving. The DVR will automatically start recording when your vehicle goes in motion and will stop recording when your vehicle comes to a stop. You can turn off the audio recording if your prefer video recording only.
- Recording Features: Video is captured at 1920 x 1080 (30fps), 1280x720 (30/60fps), or 640x480 (30fps) in MJPG (Motion JPEG) format, while audio is captured in MP3 (2ch). The video and audio are both recorded onto the pre-installed 8GB microSD card; you can replace this card with a larger microSD or microSDHC memory card (up to 32GB). When the memory card is full, the new video clips will automatically overwrite the oldest video footage.
- Playback & Edit Features: Once your vehicle is stopped, you can play back your recorded audio/video through the unit's integrated LCD touchscreen and built-in speakers; or your can take the microSD card out of the unit and insert it in your PC for playback.
Rear-View Camera (w/ Automatic Switching): The App-Tronics SmartNav 5r comes with an external rear-view camera with LEDs to help you see better what is behind you during the day or at night. In addition to a rear-view image, the back up camera provides horizontal and vertical guidelines to assist you when backing into a parking place. The rear-view camera is designed to be mounted outside the vehicle and features a waterproof housing and adjustable mounting bracket that allows you to angle the camera up or down. By connecting the rear-view camera system to your vehicle's back-up lamps, you can have the SmartNav 5r system automatically switch to the rear-view image when your vehicle is backing up. It takes 3 seconds for the backup camera image to automatically appear when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear.
Note: The included rear-view camera is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
FM Transmitter or Audio Output: In addition to its built-in speakers, the SmartNav 5r provides a built-in FM transmitter and 3.5mm audio output to transmit sound to your car stereo system. Now the unit's audible menu prompts, turn-by-turn voice prompts, Bluetooth hands-free communication, Bluetooth audio streaming, eReader TTS, and microSD audio playback can all be played back through your car stereo system.
- FM Transmitter: The built-in FM transmitter will transmit audio from the SmartNav 5r to your car stereo system via the FM radio. You can select between 87-108MHz for your desired frequency.
- Audio Jack: The 3.5mm audio jack will output audio from the SmartNav 5r to your car stereo system through the stereo's auxiliary input. You will need to purchase a stereo minijack or stereo minijack-to-RCA cable (sold separately).
TomTom Map Database: The App-Tronics SmartNav 5r's map database (by TomTom) contains map coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Canada, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. In the future, the unit's map database may be updated at www.naviextras.com by simply downloading the available map updates on to a microSD card and loading the memory card into the SmartNav's 5 microSD card slot (not DVR card slot).
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
iGO Primo Navigation Software: The built-in iGO Primo navigation software has been specifically developed for the App-Tronics SmartNav 5 and provides turn-by-turn audible directions and an on-screen map. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The SmartNav 5r has a built-in GPS receiver and antenna to calculate your location. The integrated GPS antenna is located in the upper right hand side of the mirror. Having both constant and accessory power supplied to the SmartNav 5r ensures correct positioning of your last location.
Note: The SmartNav 5r takes approximately 15 seconds to turn on; it defaults to the main menu screen. It takes another 20 seconds to activate the navigation menu. The system takes approximately 15 seconds to calculate a route (this will vary based on GPS signal and the complexity of the route).
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an orange line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. The map also displays data; such as the posted speed limit, your current speed, current time, distance to your destination, time left before you reach your destination, and your arrival time.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The SmartNav 5r allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Note: You can also continue to listen to Bluetooth or microSD card audio while viewing the on-screen navigation map. The LCD screen can be turned off, so you only here audible turn-by-turn directions from iGo Primo.
Lane Information & Signposts: The App-Tronics SmartNav 5r's navigation map offers helpful lane information and signpost guidance, along with junction view.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
Audible Alerts: The SmartNav 5r offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance w/ Text-To-Speech: In addition to graphic directions, the SmartNav 5r provides voice guidance with turn-by-turn instructions and street name announcement. You can select from a variety of audible languages including English, Spanish, and French. The volume of the voice prompts can be manually increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alerts: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The SmartNav 5r provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: While navigating, other sources may be selected and listened to; such as Bluetooth & microSD. The unit will mute the audio of the other source during navigation voice-prompts.
Find Menu: iGO Primo navigation allows you to select your destination by Address, POIs, Point on a Map, Favorites, History, or Coordinates.
- Address: Select your destination by entering a full or partial address, a city, or two intersection roads.
- POIs: Search for millions of points-of-interest (POIs) by name or category near your current location, in a specific city, along your current route, or near your destination.
- Map: Choose a destination by scrolling the map and tapping a specific point on the map.
- Favorites: Store your favorite destinations (like home, work, etc.) for easy recall.
- History: Select from previously set destinations.
- Coordinates: Enter your destination via geographic coordinates (latitude & longitude).
Route Calculation: The App-Tronics SmartNav 5r calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel), Weight, and Dimensions (length x width x height).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method (Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should use when calculating your route.
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Detours + Alternatives + Auto Reroute: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of four routes (Fastest/Shortest/Green/Easy) with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take. You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions.
Drive Application: The SmartNav 5r's Drive Application screen provides driver information like MPH, Time, Compass, and direct access to the iGO Primo Navigation screen. While viewing the Drive Application screen you can still hear navigation voice prompts and your music audio. The Drive Application can even process your incoming calls and your music selection by automatically prioritizing what you (the driver) needs to hear making sure you never miss an important turn from the GPS navigation or an important phone call.
Route Planner w/ Itinerary & Route Simulation: The Route Planner feature lets you built your route using the list of destinations you have chosen. You can modify the list as you like (adding or removing a destination (waypoint), changing a final destination, or setting a new starting position. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Built-in Radar Detector: The SmartNav 5r comes with built-in Radar Detector & Laser Detector capabilities. Alerting to X, K, KU, KA, and Laser bands; allowing you to receive audible and visual alerts from the rear-view monitor system.
Built-in Bluetooth: The App-Tronics SmartNav 5r offers built-in Bluetooth 4.0 for wireless hands-free communication (HFP) and wireless audio streaming (A2DP). The SmartNav 5r's built-in Bluetooth feature supports wireless connection from most Bluetooth-enable devices like Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Nokia smartphone, and more.
- Hands-Free Communication (HFP): You are able to make and receive phone calls from your compatible Bluetooth-enabled phone through the SmartNav 5R. The unit's integrated microphone carries on your side of the conversation, while the other party is heard through the unit's built-in speakers. You are able to answer, end, and dial out using the SmartNav 5r. You can dial out from the on-screen keypad or your transferred contact's list.
- Wireless Audio Streaming (A2DP): You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps from your compatible Bluetooth-enabled mobile device to the SmartNav 5r. Basic playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track can be controlled from the SmartNav 5r. Song/artist information will still be done through your Bluetooth-enabled device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call from your phone. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the SmartNav 5r.
Dual microSD Card Slots: The SmartNav 5r is fitted with two microSD card slots. One of the microSD card slots comes pre-loaded with an 8GB microSD memory card and is only used for the system's DVR function. The other microSD car slot can be used for playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files loaded onto a microSD or microSDHC memory card (up to 32GB). Compatible music, video, and photo files include:
- Music: MP3, WMA, WAV
- Video: AVI, MP4, MPG, WMV, 3GP
- Photo: JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG
Note: You should not view video on the SmartNav 5r while your vehicle is in motion; this is unsafe and is against the law in many states.
eBook Reader: The eBook Reader application allows the SmartNav 54 to read aloud your downloaded eBooks on a microSD card via TTS (text-to-speech). A variety of TTS languages are supported including English, French, and Spanish.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?