About the Fusion MS-AV650
Designed from the water up
Designed from the water up
Fusion's rugged MS-AV650 marine DVD receiver gives you outstanding performance, plus the "from the water up" thinking that makes Fusion marine gear stand out from the crowd. The MS-AV650 can handle all your entertainment and communications needs when you're out on the water.
You can play CDs or DVDs, use the composite video output to send video to external monitors, or enjoy music and video from an incredible variety of wired and wireless devices. You can connect this receiver to your NMEA 2000 network, and it can also communicate with any Fusion-Link™ certified Multi-Function Displays or Fusion NMEA 2000-certified wired remote controls (connectors sold separately).
A DVD receiver designed to thrive in the marine environment
Connectivity and control
The MS-AV650 sports built-in Bluetooth® connectivity, so you can stream music wirelessly using your Apple® or Android smartphone and see track information on the color screen.
It supports iPod® or iPhone® audio and you can even enjoy Pandora control with “Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down” voting capability. The rotary encoder handles most controls, and you can see what's playing on the LCD screen.
If you love satellite radio, you can connect a SiriusXM tuner (subscription required) to enjoy music, sports, entertainment, news, and essential weather-related content when you're many miles offshore.
And if you store your entertainment library on a USB thumb drive or portable device, you'll find the inputs you need to get connected. Innovative 3-zone audio control lets you keep the entire crew entertained, no matter where they are on the boat.
Made for the marine environment
The MS-AV650 is tough enough for marine duty, but it's also designed for ease of use. The fully-sealed aluminum chassis serves as a solid foundation, while the face and switchgear are IPx5 water-resistant. Designed specifically for the rigors of the marine environment, the MS-AV650 is backed by the Fusion True Marine™ 3-year warranty.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
NMEA 2000 note: To learn more about NMEA 2000 connectivity, check out our article explaining nautical networking.
- marine DVD receiver with built-in amplifier (26 watts RMS/70 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth connectivity
- DVD/CD player, AM/FM tuner, USB and AUX inputs
- works with iPod/iPhone, plus Android and Windows phones
- Pandora control with "Thumbs up/Thumbs down"
- use Zone Control to raise or lower volume in one zone or all three
- efficient Class D amplifier technology conserves battery power
- IPX5 water-resistant, front and rear
- 2.7" bonded glass display
- plays MP3, M4A, and FLAC files
- remote control
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- works with Fusion-Link™ certified MFDs or Fusion NMEA 2000-certified wired remote controls
- plugs into your existing NMEA 2000 network
- 3-zone audio with pre-out and sub-out
- composite video out
- rear USB and AUX inputs
Other Features and Specs:
- compatible with optional Fusion Uni-Dock storage pocket
- mounting hardware included
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01355-00
What's in the box:
- Marine DVD receiver
- Power/ground harness
- Speaker harness
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Male mono-RCA to female stereo-RCA splitter
- Front-panel cover
- 2 Brackets
- 4 Self-tapping screws
- 4 Machine screws
- Foam gasket
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Instructions
- Important Safety/Product Information
- Mounting Template
- Important Product Notes
Fusion MS-AV650 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Fusion MS-AV650
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|Nano||4Gen and newer|
|Touch||3Gen and newer|
|iPhone||3GS and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||26 watts|
|Peak Output||70 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||3 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, FLAC, M4A|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Marine Certified: The Fusion MS-AV650 is designed and engineered specifically for use on the water, so it complies with IPx5 water resistant standards.
- Optically Bonded LCD: The Fusion MS-AV650 employs a widescreen mono-chrome LCD display (128 x 64) that is optically bonded to improve durability and optimized for daylight viewing.
- Glass-Filled Composite Chassis: Structurally rigid and incredibly lightweight, the unit's glass-filled composite chassis improves environmental protection and electrically isolates the chassis for complete reliability.
Note: This marine receiver pulls 150mA of current when in standby mode.
Easy-To-Use: The MS-AV650 offers quick and intuitive audio control. All operations are controlled through the large rotary encoder and soft push-buttons, ensuring the Fusion MS-AV650's user interface is simple and easy to use. Information and text is easily readable, even under direct sunlight on the optically bonded LCD screen. The MS-AV650 has adjustable contrast and brightness for optimum viewing.
Note: The LCD screen shuts down automatically after approximately 30 seconds of inactivity to reduce battery drain; press any key on the unit to restore the display.
NMEA 2000 Certified w/ Fusion-Link: The MS-AV650 is a Fusion-Link Wired NMEA 2000 certified product and is compatible with a range of the world's leading Multi-Function Displays (MFD) for on-screen audio control; creating a centralized control station for the entire vessel and a more user-friendly experience. NMEA 2000 is the most popular marine standard for data communication within vessels. When pairing the MS-AV650 with a NMEA 2000 supported Chartplotter or Fish finder, you bring your music to the big screen, allowing you to keep an eye on the charts or the fish while skipping tracks or adjusting the volume at the same time.
Optional Wired Remote Control: In addition to MFD control, the MS-AV650 will connect to Fusion's MS-NRX300 Wired Remote (917NRX300, sold separately) within the same powered NMEA 2000 network for localized control of the audio zones. You can install a MS-NRX300 wired remote in each of the independent audio zones of your vessel, for localized zone volume level and global source control. Control each audio zone independently from multiple remotes, or manage the entire entertainment experience from a single remote control. The remote control can even serve as an NMEA 2000 display showing NMEA navigation data or vessel performance data from other NMEA devices on the same NMEA 2000 network. Up to three MS-NRX300 wired remotes can be connected to the MS-AV650 with the same powered NMEA 2000 network.
Note: The MS-NRX200i must be incorporated onto the same NMEA 2000 powered network as the MS-AV650.
Fusion-Link Remote Control App: Download the Fusion-Link remote control app onto your Apple iPod/iPhone (iOS 6.0+) or Android smartphone (OS 2.2+) and turn your mobile device into a wireless remote control from the Fusion MS-AV650 marine stereo. Once downloaded, the will allow navigation of all entertainment sources, independent volume zone control, and control over multiple Fusion Entertainment Systems connected to the same NMEA2000 network or via Bluetooth from your mobile device.
Disc Compatibility: The Fusion MS-AV650 features a disc slot located behind its fold-down front-panel. The MS-AV650 supports playback of CD-Audio, CD-R/RW (MP3 only), and DVD-video discs. The unit offers built-in electronic skip protection for disc playback.
Note: The unit's LCD does not offer video playback. DVD video will be played back through the unit's analog video outputs to an external monitor (sold separately).
USB Port: The MS-AV650 features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port for connection of a variety of USB-enabled devices; like Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad (see section below for details), Android smartphone/tablets (see section below for details), and USB flash-drives/thumb-drives. The supports playback of MP3, FLAC, and M4A music files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device, like your USB flash-drive/thumb-drive. Purchase Fusion's MS-CBUSBFM1 USB extension cable (917USBFM1, sold separately) for easier access to the unit's USB port.
Dual Stereo Inputs: Fusion's MS-AV650 marine stereo is fitted with two rear-panel stereo RCA auxiliary inputs for connecting external audio devices, other than an iPod/iPhone or Android device. The stereo Aux inputs allow for a wide range of input levels thanks to its adjustable input gain (-9 to +9 dB).
Built-in Bluetooth: The MS-AV650 features built-in Bluetooth (3.0) and wirelessly streams stored music and music apps from practically any A2DP Bluetooth capable Apple, Android, Windows, Blackberry or other device directly to the paired Fusion MS-AV650 marine stereo. With an effective range of 10 Mtrs (33ft), you can enjoy seamless streaming of your favorite audio tracks without having to return to the stereo to change tracks. Effective range measured in a straight line, range will differ depending on placement of the Bluetooth module and obstructions.
- Music Control: The MS-AV650 allows you to control basic playback functions of your streaming music from its front-panel control or optional wired remote control (sold separately). Playback functions include Play, Pause, Previous Track, and Next Track.
- Song/Artist Display: The MS-AV650 lets you view song/artist information from the Fusion marine stereo's LCD screen or optional wired remote control (sold separately).
Note: The MS-AV650 only supports wireless audio streaming and does not offer any type of wireless hands-free phone communication.
Android Compliant: The Fusion MS-AV650's rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) or USB Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) compliant device; such as your Android smartphone or USB thumbdrive. The USB ports enable audio playback & control of a variety of audio files (up to 300 tracks in each folder) stored on your portable USB MSC/MTP devices through the Fusion MS-AV650. Playback controls include Music Library Browsing (MTP only), Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track. Song/artist information such as track, artist, and album name will also be displayed on the head unit. In addition, USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the marine receiver's USB port (1A) and the watercraft's ignition switch is set to On.
- MSC Playback: The Fusion MS-AV650's USB ports enable playback & control of MP3/M4A/FLAC music files stored on your portable USB MSC device, like your older Android smartphone (w/ OS 2.2+ [Froyo/Gingerbread]) or USB thumbdrive device (up to 32GB) through the head unit. Your USB MSC device must be formatted in FAT 32 or NTFS.
- MTP Playback (Firmware Update Required): The MS-AV650's
USB ports also enable playback & control of stored MP3/M4A music files on
your portable USB MTP device, like your newer Android smartphone (w/ OS 4.0+) through the Fusion head unit. Music
files must be located in a folder using one of the following names - My
Music, My_Music, mobile, or Music.
Note: You cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Made For iPod/iPhone: The Fusion MS-AV650 marine stereo's rear-panel USB port can also be used to connect your Lightning-connector or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone. The MS-AV650 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Music Browsing: The MS-AV650's fully integrated iPod/iPhone user interface provides music browsing by Album, Artist, Song, and Playlist. You can browse these categories alphabetically or numerically. Basic playback functions include Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen, while older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info: The unit's front-panel LCD provides song, artist, and album information; as well a track number and elapsed playback time.
- Battery Charging: The marine receiver's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vessel's ignition switch is set to the 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Fusion MS-AV650 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 6/2/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The MS-AV650 marine stereo features a built-in AM/FM radio that offers manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 15 FM station presets and 15 AM station presets. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. You can also select between US and European tuning.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Fusion MS-AV650 marine receiver lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone. The MS-AV650 will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone or Android smartphone. Your iPhone (iOS 5.0 or later) will need to be connected to the receiver's USB port with the latest version of the Pandora App from Apple's App Store. Your Android smartphone must be connected via Bluetooth to the MS-AV650 (no hard-wired connection required); your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from the Android Market. Your Android smartphone must also support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Fusion MS-AV650 provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Fusion MS-AV650 is SiriusXM Ready, so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately) to the dedicated SiriusXM port on the rear of the head unit and enjoy satellite radio without additional translators or cables. With the SiriusXM Connect tuner you'll have access to more than 175 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features include:
- Channel & Category Lists: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories.
- Song/Artist Information: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the unit's LCD.
- Presets: You can store up to 15 SiriusXM Satellite Radio preset stations for easy recall.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Class D Amplifier: The Fusion MS-AV650 is equipped with a 26 watt RMS (70W Peak) x 4 channel stereo Class D amplifier for driving two pair of full-range marine speakers. Amplifier components are optimally configured for the side-fin aluminum heat sink, producing greater thermal efficiency
3V/3Ch Pre-Outs Per Zone (1-2-3): The Fusion MS-AV650 features 3V/3ch pre-outs for each Zone (1-2-3). Each set of 3ch pre-outs include stereo left/right channels and a mono-sub channel. You can set the head unit's low-pass sub pre-out filter to 55, 85, 120, or 160Hz for the mono-sub channel. You can also adjust the output level of the unit's sub pre-outs independently from the receiver's overall volume control.
Audio Controls: You can adjust the marine receiver's bass, mid, & treble from -12 to +12. You can also balance the sound from left to right. In addition, you can set the head unit's maximum volume limit for all three Zones.
Multi-Zone Technology: The MS-AV650 marine stereo features multi-zone technology which enables three audio Zones with independent volume control from the system's built-in amplifier and pre-outs. Each audio Zone will play the same source, but offers independent volume control of each Zone. You can set the balance, volume limit, subwoofer level, and name for each of the zones. When using the MS-AV650's built-in amplifier, up to two pairs of speakers can be connected per zone in parallel to increase the amplifier output. When using the unit's pre-outs, you will need an additional amplifier in that zone.
Video Outputs: The Fusion MS-AV650 is fitted with a composite video output and component video output for display of the built-in DVD player's video on an external monitor (sold separately).
Bulkhead Mount: The MS-AV650 requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. The marine receiver has a shallow mounting depth, perfect for space conscious installation on small boats and personal watercraft, where this is especially crucial. Four screws (supplied) fasten the faceplate against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket against the bulkhead. A paper template is supplied to assist you with the cutout and drilling the screw holes.
- Cutout Width = 7.125"
- Cutout Height = 2.125"
- Cutout Depth = 7.875"
- Nose Width = 8.5625"
- Nose Height = 3.125"
- Nose Depth = 1.375"
Note: The screw holes are spaced 7.6875" (w) x " 2.5625(h) apart.
Hinged Door: Because of its folding-face plate to access the disc slot , there needs to be at least 0.625" of space left below the unit's front-panel and 3.5" of space in front of the front-panel in order to allow the hinged door to open.
Mounting Angle: You can install the unit within 45° of horizontal.
4 questions already asked