About the Fusion MS-BB300R Black Box Entertainment System
Hideaway design, breakout performance
This black box system is the ideal solution for "challenging" boat layouts.
Hideaway design, breakout performance
Finding a spot to install a marine receiver can be a challenge on some boats. When there just isn't any helm space available, you need a compact, full-featured solution like Fusion's MS-BB300R marine-rated "black box." This hideaway high-tech digital media receiver mounts out of sight and delivers outstanding entertainment and connectivity.
Lots of ways to play
The MS-BB300 is quite the entertainer, offering AM/FM radio, plus USB/AUX playback, Bluetooth® connectivity, and SiriusXM tuner compatibility (subscription required).
With 3-zone technology, you can listen to what you like at the helm, while your guests enjoy different programming in two other places in the vessel. And best of all, the MS-BB300 works with your boat's existing NMEA 2000 network.
Make those connections
With this feature-filled box tucked away behind a bulkhead, you can enjoy all your digital music, and more. It works with your iPod/iPhone or MTP Android/Windows smartphones, plus it has the connections and connectivity you need for various other devices. Thanks to FUSION-Link, this receiver works with a variety of multi-function displays, so you can enjoy high-quality audio and intuitive control.
Mounts almost anywhere
The package includes a compact Fusion MS-NRX200i wired remote and the hideaway black box source module. The remote mounts just about anywhere, allowing you to see and control what's playing on the easy-to-read LCD display. The rugged black box contains the AM/FM tuner, the amplifier, and all connections. It's IP3X certified and moisture-resistant, but it's designed to be installed in a sheltered area using the included panel mount.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
NMEA 2000 note: To learn more about NMEA 2000 connectivity, check out our article explaining nautical networking.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- black box marine digital media receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for music streaming
- works with iPod/iPhone and MTP Android/Windows Media phones
- 3-zone audio
- plays MP3 and M4A files
- AM/FM tuner, compatible with SiriusXM tuners
- IPx3-certified for use in the marine environment
- IPx5-certified NMEA 2000 remote included
- plugs into your existing NMEA 2000 network
- panel-mount USB and 3.5 mm aux cable included
- inputs: two AUX inputs and USB port
- outputs: line out/sub out for Zone 3, speaker outputs for Zones 1 and 2
- works with Fusion-Link™ certified MFDs or Fusion NMEA 2000-certified wired remote controls
Other Features and Specs:
- mounting hardware included
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01290-20
What's in the box:
- Hide-away source/amplifier module (15A fuse installed)
- Wired remote control (w/ attached 36" proprietary cable terminated by a 5-pin connector)
- Wiring harness
- 19.75' NMEA 2000 extension cable (terminated by a 5-pin connector one end end and a 7-pin connector on other end)
- NMEA 2000 T-connector
- NMEA 2000 female terminator
- NMEA 2000 in-line terminator
- 40" USB extension cable (terminated by a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- 6.5' Stereo RCA-to-minijack extension cable (with male stereo RCA connectors on one end and a female stereo minijack cable on other end)
- Silicone dust cover
- User/Installation Manual
- Marine Wired Remote Instruction Booklet
- Warranty Information
More details on the Fusion MS-BB300R Black Box Entertainment System
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Rear (RCA) x 2|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||3 volts|
|Key Button Color||N/A|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Fusion Black Box Entertainment: The Fusion MS-BB300R Black Box Entertainment System consists of a hide-away amplifier and source module, a wired remote control, plus stereo RCA-to-minijack and USB cables, as well a NMEA 2000 system cables.
Hide-Away Amplifier & Source Module: The Fusion MS-BB300R Black Box Entertainment System includes a hide-away amplifier & source module ("Black Box"). This Black Box features a built-in amplifier and provides all source connectivity. The hide-away module is controlled by the included wired remote control.
Note: The MS-BB300R's hide-away box can be completely disconnected from the constant +12V power supply with no settings lost.
Wired Remote Control: Included with the MS-BB300R system is a MS-NRX300 Wired Remote Control for intuitive system navigation, featuring a 2.6" LCD screen and easy scroll rotary encoder. Nearly all operations are controlled through the large rotary encoder, ensuring the remote's user interface is simple and easy-to-use. You can adjust the display's backlight brightness and contrast for better visibility. The fully sealed enclosure of the MS-NRX300 is rated IPx7 waterproof, ideal for installation on swim platforms or on the deck. The LCD screen shuts down automatically after approximately 30 seconds of inactivity to reduce battery drain; press any key on the unit to restore the display.
Note: Install additional MS-NRX300 Wired Remote (917NRX300, sold separately) in each of the independent audio zones of your vessel, for localized zone volume level and global source control. Control each audio zone independently from multiple remotes connected to your the Fusion MS-BB300R marine system. Up to 3 wired remotes can be connected to the MS-BB300R.
Fusion-Link via NMEA2000: The MS-BB300R Black Box Entertainment System is out of the box NMEA 2000 ready and includes all necessary cables to connect to an existing network. The MS-NRX300 wired remote is also compatible with all FUSION-Link partnered Multi-Function-Displays connected to a supported Fusion marine stereo. Fusion-Link is the industry standard for entertainment integration onboard the worlds most respected boating brands, developed by Fusion Electronics and supported by leading marine electronics manufacturers. Fusion-Link allows a certified Multi-Function Display (MFD) the ability to integrate with, and utilize Fusion's specialized entertainment functionality, creating a centralized control station for the entire vessel and a more user-friendly experience.
NMEA 2000 Repeater: The included MS-NRX300 wired remote can communicate with other NMEA 2000 devices connected to the same NMEA 2000 network, to display information like depth, speed and wind direction. The NRX300 remote control can be configured to display NMEA2000 network data, the following options are available:
- Wind Direction
- Wind Speed
- Speed over Ground
- Speed through Water
- Water Temperature
- Atmospheric Pressure
USB Extension Cable: The included USB extension cable is fitted with a male USB (type-A) connector on one end which plugs into the USB port of the system's hide-away black box. On the other end is a female USB (type-A) connector and integrated flush-mount bracket which allows for discrete installation and connection of your portable USB audio device, like your Apple iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone/tablet. There is a screw-on protective cap to keep dust and moisture out of the USB connector port when not in use. The cable is 40" total in length.
RCA-to-Minijack Cable: The included audio cable is fitted with male stereo RCA connectors on one end which plug into the RCA auxiliary jacks of the system's hide-away module. On the other end is a female stereo minijack connector and integrated flush-mount bracket which allow for discrete installation and connection your portable audio device. There is a protective cap to keep dust and moisture out of the stereo minijack connector when not in use. The cable is 6.5' total in length.
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The Fusion MS-BB300R Black Bow Entertainment System features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0) with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and playback control (AVRCP). You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps from most Bluetooth capable Apple, Android, Windows, Blackberry, or other device directly to the Fusion marine system. With an effective range of 10 Mtrs (33ft), you can enjoy seamless streaming of your favorite audio tracks without having to return to the stereo to change tracks. Effective range measured in a straight line, range will differ depending on placement of the Bluetooth module and obstructions.
- Pairing: Before you can wireless stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device, you will first need to "pair" it with the MS-BB300R system. The system can only be paired with one device at a time.
- Controls: The MS-BB300R allows you to control basic playback functions of your streaming music from the included marine wired remote. Playback functions include Play, Pause, Previous Track, and Next Track.
- Song/Artist Info: The included marine wired remote control also lets you view song/artist information from its built-in LCD screen.
Note: The unit only supports wireless audio streaming and does not offer any type of wireless hands-free phone communication.
Android Compliant: The Fusion MS-BB300R's USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) or USB Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) compliant device; such as your Android smartphone or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables audio playback & control of a variety of audio files (up to 300 tracks in each folder) stored on your portable USB MSC/MTP device through the Fusion Black Box Entertainment System. Playback controls from the included wired remote consists of Music Library Browsing (MTP only), Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track. Song/artist information such as track, artist, and album name will also be displayed on the wired remote's LCD. In addition, USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the MS-BB300R's USB port (1A) and the watercraft's ignition switch is set to On.
- MSC Playback: The Fusion MS-BB300R's USB port enables playback & control of MP3/M4A/FLAC music files stored on your portable USB MSC device, like your older Android smartphone (w/ OS 2.2+ [Froyo/Gingerbread]) or USB thumbdrive device (up to 32GB) through the marine system. Your USB MSC device must be formatted in FAT 32 or NTFS.
- MTP Playback (Firmware Update Required): The MS-BB300R's USB port also enables playback & control of stored MP3/M4A music files on your portable USB MTP device, like your newer Android smartphone (w/ OS 4.0+) through the Fusion marine system. Music files must be located in a folder using one of the following names - My Music, My_Music, mobile, or Music.
Note: You cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the Black Box Entertainment System while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Made For iPod/iPhone: The Fusion MS-BB300R's USB port can also be used to connect your Lightning-connector or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone. The MS-BB300R supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Music Browsing: The MS-BB300R's fully integrated iPod/iPhone user interface provides music browsing by Album, Artist, Song, and Playlist via the included wired remote control. You can browse these categories alphabetically or numerically. Basic playback functions include Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen, while older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info: The included wired remote's LCD provides song, artist, and album information; as well a track number and elapsed playback time.
- Battery Charging: The Black Box Entertainment System's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vessel's ignition switch is set to the 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Fusion MS-BB300R system is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 2/18/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||System||iPod||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the system and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available
Optional Marine Dock: For water resistant protection of your Android or iPod/iPhone supported device, install the Fusion MS-UNI-Dock (917UNIDOCK, sold separately). which will protect, charge and play all compatible devices and is large enough to house most Android smartphones and iPhones.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The MS-BB300R Black Box Entertainment System features a built-in AM/FM radio that offers manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 15 FM station presets and 15 AM station presets. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations through the included wired remote control. You can also select between US and European tuning.
SiriusXM Ready: The Fusion MS-BB300R is SiriusXM Ready, so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately) to the dedicated SiriusXM port on the hide-away black box and enjoy satellite radio without additional translators or cables. With the SiriusXM Connect tuner you'll have access to more than 175 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features include:
- Channel & Category Lists: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels on the included wired remote control's LCD. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories through the included wired remote's LCD.
- Song/Artist Information: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the wired remote's LCD.
- Presets: You can store up to 15 SiriusXM Satellite Radio preset stations for easy recall.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
22W x 4Ch Amplifier: The Fusion MS-BB300R's hide-away black box employs a 22 watt RMS (50W Peak) x 4 channel stereo amplifier for driving two pair of full-range marine speakers.
3V/4Ch Pre-Outs: The Fusion MS-BB300R features 3V/4ch pre-outs for Zone 3 speakers and subwoofer. You can set the system's low-pass sub pre-out filter to 55, 85, 120, or 160Hz. You can also adjust the output level of the unit's sub pre-out independently from the system's overall volume control.
Audio Controls: You can adjust the marine system's bass, mid, & treble from -12 to +12. You can also balance the sound from left to right. In addition, you can set the system's maximum volume limit for both Zones.
Multi-Zone Technology: The MS-BB300R marine system features multi-zone technology which enables three audio Zones with independent volume control from the system's built-in amplifier and pre-outs. Each audio Zone will play the same source, but offers independent volume control of each Zone.
Dual Analog Inputs: The MS-BB300R's hide-away module features dual stereo analog RCA inputs for connection of almost in portable marine audio device with an analog audio output.
Hide-Away Amplifier & Source Module: This device should be mounted in a location that is not exposed directly to extreme temperatures or conditions. Extended exposure to high temperatures or direct submersion will cause failure. The device must be mounted in a location with adequate ventilation on a vertical surface. Its connectors should be pointed downward to prevent moisture from entering the terminals. The hide-away "black box" measures 9.25" (w) x 4.5" (h) x 2.75" (d).
Flush-Mounted Wired Remote Control: The MS-NRX200i wired remote control mounts flush to the bulkhead using the four included screws (3.75" x 1.6875" apart), but also requires a 1.6875" cut-out to accommodate routing of the attached cable. A self-adhesive foam gasket is included to provide a secure seal between the cut-out and the wired remote. The outer dimensions of the wired remote's front-panel is 4.375" (w) x 2.6875" (h) x 1.125" (d).
Flush-Mount USB Extension Cable: The included USB extension cable's integrated flush-mount bracket requires a 0.75" cut-out and installs from behind the opening. A threaded nut tightens from the front of the opening over the integrated bracket to secure the USB extension cable into place in the dash or bulkhead. A rear gasket provides an airtight, watertight fit.
Flush-Mount RCA-to-Minijack Cable: The included RCA-to-Minijack cable's integrated flush-mount bracket requires a 0.75" cut-out and installs from the front of the opening. A threaded nut tightens from the back of the opening over the integrated bracket to secure the audio cable into place in the dash or bulkhead. A front-mounted gasket provides an airtight, watertight fit.
7 questions already asked