Overview: The Behringer X-Touch is a universal DAW remote
control-surface, for use in studios and live applications, supporting HUI and
Mackie Control protocols for integration with most music production software.
Its front panel layout offers dedicated controls and functions for features
commonly found in modern DAW workstations and includes control input/output for
Channel Strips: The X-Touch includes 8 channel strips and 1 Master
fader, each with a touch-sensitive motorized 100 mm fader that's typically used
for fine control of DAW level control. Bank left/right buttons let you move
channels up and down 8 at a time, while Channel left/right buttons move the
tracks in single steps. A Flip button switches between Encoder control and Fader
control allowing finer control of parameters. Other channel strip functions
- Encoders: Each channel strip includes a Push Encoder knob. These
endless encoders have detent and push functions and are surrounded by a
13-segment amber LED ring. These are typically used for fine control of
parameters such as aux send and pan controls. Encoder Assign buttons
determine the function of the Encoders which include: Track, Pan/Surround,
EQ, Send, Plug-in, and Inst.
- Scribble Strips: Eight LCD "scribble-strip" displays are provided
to display various parameters and labels as shown in the DAW software.
They're also used to view various settings and adjustments that can be
assigned to and changed with the Encoders.
- Channel Meters: An 8-segment LED level meter is provided for each
channel strip, indicating signal level and clipping.
- Select: Selects that channel for editing. When activated, the
mixer controls become dedicated to setting up that channel with details
shown in the Scribble Strip.
- Rec: Arms the channel for recording.
- Mute: Mutes the channel.
- Solo: Isolates that channel from the mix. A Solo LED in the main
display will light when any channel is soloed.
Transport Controls: The Transport section includes all the functions
commonly found on most recorders and recording software and include:
- Transport: Play, Stop, FFWD, REW, and REC. Other buttons include:
Marker, Nudge, Cycle, Drop, Replace, Click, and Solo. These functions may
vary or not be available depending on the DAW software being used.
- Jog/Shuttle: Used for editing audio in the DAW. The Scrub button
switches between Jog and Shuttle modes.
- Navigation: These include up/down, right/left arrow buttons for
navigation and a Zoom button for zooming in on the DAW screen.
Main Display: The Main Display shows the time counter for the track.
This can be displayed as either SMPTE time code, showing hours, minutes,
seconds, and frames, or as Beats, showing bars, beats, and ticks. A dedicated
selector button will switch between the two.
Other Functions: The following sections of buttons are provided, but
may vary widely in function depending on the DAW software being used. These
include options for accessing MIDI Tracks, Inputs, Audio Tracks, Insert Effects,
Buses, and Outputs. Other options include:
- Function: Eight Function buttons can be assigned to various
- Automation: The X-Touch features automated faders for saving and
recalling setups. Controls include: Read/Off, Write, Trim, Touch, Latch, and
- Utility: These are used for saving setups. Controls include:
Save, Undo, Enter, and Cancel.
Tracktion Software: Included with the X-Touch is a scaled-down version
of Behringer's Tracktion recording software. This provides pro DAW features such
as dynamic automation, unlimited track count, MIDI recording and support for VST
and AU plug-ins. After registering your X-Touch at Behringer's website, a full
version of Tracktion will be provided for downloading.
RTP-MIDI: The X-Touch can be used as an RTP-MIDI (Real-time Protocol)
device over a network connection. This is useful in systems where long USB or
MIDI cables would otherwise be required. A rear-panel Ethernet port is provided
for this function.
Rear Panel: The following ports are provided on the rear panel:
- Remote: This is an RJ-45 Ethernet port used for connection to a
DAW supporting RTP-MIDI or a remote controlling Behringer digital mixer (a
- USB MIDI: A USB type-B port is used for connection to your DAW.
- USB Hub: This multi-TT USB Hub includes two USB type-A ports for
connecting external USB hardware such as a mouse or keyboard, or for USB
controllers and MIDI keyboards. The Hub communicates directly to the
computer and not the X-Touch. Each connection can provide 5 volts USB power.
The Hub is only active when the X-Touch is powered on and connected to a
live computer via the USB MIDI connector.
- MIDI IN and OUT: These two 5-pin DIN connectors send and receive
MIDI data to and from MIDI devices.
- Foot Switch 1 and 2: These two 1/4" jacks are used for standard
sustain pedals for momentary or toggle MIDI data control.
- Expression Pedal: This 1/4" jack is used for a standard swell
pedal for continuous MIDI data control.
- Faders: 9 Motorized, 100 mm, touch-sensitive
- Rotary/Push Controls: 8
- Buttons w/ LED Backlight: 92
- Wheel: 1 Jog/Shuttle
- Foot Control (expression): 1/4" TS
- Foot Switch (sustain): (2) 1/4" TS
- Time: (10) 7-Segment LEDs
- Channel Assignment: (2) 7-Segment LEDs
- Channel Level: (8) 8-Segment LEDs w/ SIG and CLIP
- Channel Display: (8) Color LCD scribble-strip
- Input: 5-Pin DIN
- Output: 5-Pin DIN
- Computer Connection:
- USB: USB Type-B, 2.0
- Ethernet: RJ-45
- USB Hub:
- Type: Multi-TT USB 2.0
- Connectors (x2): USB Type-A, 2.0
- USB Power: 5 V
- Power Supply:
- Type: Internal switch mode power supply
- Voltage: 100 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz
- Fuse: T 1A H 250 V
- Power Consumption: 30 W
- Mains Connection: Standard 3-pin IEC receptacle
- Operating Temperature Range: 41˚
F - 104˚ F
- Dimensions: Width - 17.625",
Height - 4.0", Depth - 15.0"
- Weight: 9.4 lbs.
Warranty Terms: Behringer offers a 3-year warranty when you
register your product within 90 calendar days of purchase. If the product is
not properly registered, the warranty period is one year.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.