About the NETGEAR AC1200
Get your wireless traffic moving fast
The NETGEAR R6220/AC1200's external antennas distribute a strong wireless signal throughout large households.
Get your wireless traffic moving fast
In my house, wireless traffic used to slow to a crawl. My wife and I are usually streaming Hulu or Netflix® while our son is playing online video games and watching YouTube. Add in two smartphones and an iPad and there have been times when there's not enough "road" for all of our data to keep flowing smoothly.
The NETGEAR R6220/AC1200 router is designed to speed up traffic in households with multiple wireless devices. AC1200 Wi-Fi offers speeds up to 300+867 Mbps — three times faster than similar 802.11n routers — and glitch-free streaming for smartphones and tablets. Simultaneous dual-band capability offers more "lanes" for traffic to flow through. External antennas provide a strong wireless signal that's ideal for large homes with multiple devices.
Easy to install and use
NETGEAR routers are designed for easy installation. Once you've plugged in a few cables, use the single-button Push ‘N' Connect function to connect your Wi-Fi quickly. The NETGEAR genie® app lets you monitor, control and troubleshoot your network from a convenient personal dashboard.
NETGEAR's Wi-Fi Protected Access® offers tough WPA/WPA2 encryption that denies outsiders access to your wireless signal. This router also offers double firewall protection and a stiff defense against denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. If you have young ones in the house, use the router's parental controls to filter out content you don't want them to see.
The R6220/AC1200 features a USB 3.0 port, which allows you to connect an external memory device. It also supports DLNA, so you can share content with similarly-equipped televisions and gaming consoles. ReadySHARE Printer lets you wirelessly access and share a USB printer.
- 802.11ac dual-band Gigabit wireless router
- simultaneous dual band operation (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz)
- AC1200 Wi-Fi (300 Mbps + 867 Mbps)
- up to 300 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 867 Mbps on 802.11ac band
- powerful 880MHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- external antennas for improved Wi-Fi coverage
- single-button Push 'N' Connect function
- DLNA compliant for easy content sharing
- NETGEAR genie® app helps you monitor, control, and troubleshoot your home network
- 128 MB flash and 128 MB RAM internal memory
- five 10/100/1000 (4 LAN and 1 WAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- one USB 2.0 port
- Wi-Fi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2-PSK)
- double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
- parental controls
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 9-7/16"W x 1-5/8"H x 7-3/16"D
- weight: 13.44 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R6220
What's in the box:
- Dual-band WiFi router
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 58" Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
NETGEAR AC1200 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR AC1200
AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas: The NETGEAR AC1200
Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas is an incredibly fast router delivering
AC1200 WiFi and Gigabit Ethernet speeds. External antennas provide improved WiFi
coverage for larger homes. This router offers 3x faster speed than similar
802.11n and more reliable streaming for mobile phones and tablets. It delivers
the speed and reliability needed for applications such as lag-free multiple HD
video streaming, multi-player gaming, ultra-fast speed and a secure and reliable
connection to the Internet. The AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
also includes NETGEAR genie home network manager for easy installation and
home network management.
Variety of Applications: With the AC1200 Smart WiFi Router, you can create a powerful home network for applications such as lag-free multiple HD streaming, multi-player online gaming, ultra-fast, reliable connection to the Internet and a secure wireless connection.
- Surf/Chat/Email: Enjoy a reliable, secure wireless connection to the Internet for surfing the web, chatting, and email.
- HD Streaming: Optimized for a smooth, lag-free HD video streaming experience; even for multiple devices.
- Internet Radio Music: Enjoy a fast and reliable wireless connection for listening to music online.
- Online Gaming: Play online video games.
WiFi Technology: The NETGEAR AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas offers ultra-fast WiFi speeds thanks to its WiFi 802.11ac chipset, plus extended WiFi range and reliability due to its 2.4GHZ & 5GHZ dual-bands.
- Ultra-Fast WiFi Speed: The NETGEAR AC1200 Smart WiFi Router adopts the latest WiFi 802.11ac chipset for extreme download speeds up to 300+867 Mbps (up to 300Mbps @ 2.4 GHz, 867Mbps @ 5 GHz). It is also backward compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n devices. Next generation 802.11ac WiFi with dual band technology avoids wireless interference and provides whole home coverage ensuring top WiFi speeds and reliable connections. Everything you need for an ultra-fast WiFi connected home.
- Extended WiFi Range: The NETGEAR AC1200 Smart WiFi Router is equipped with dual external antennas that provide WiFi connectivity throughout your home for all your Internet-enabled devices.
- Dual-Band WiFi: Simultaneous dual band WiFi provides two separate WiFi networks - 2.4GHz for legacy devices and 5GHz which is less interference-prone for media streaming.
Gigabit Wired: The NETGEAR AC1200 Smart WiFi Router is fitted with five 10/100/1000 (1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices.
880 MHz Processor: The NETGEAR AC1200 Smart WiFi Router's 880 MHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity. Its USB 2.0 port and 128MB Flash/128MB memory provides future software feature expansion. Click here for the latest firmware/software updates from NETGEAR.
Convenient Content Sharing: With NETGEAR, sharing across your network is built-in and simple, anything from accessing stored photos & music to wireless printing.
- DLNA: Find & play your media on DLNA TVs & game consoles.
- ReadySHARE USB Access: Wirelessly access & share USB hard drives via its one USB 2.0 port.
- ReadySHARE Printer: Wirelessly access & share a USB printer.
Simple Setup: NETGEAR makes installation and management fast & simple, so you can connect quickly & make sure you stay that way. The router offers a built-in Setup Wizard for computer setup, an Apple & Google Play app for Apple iOS & Android setup, plus a WPS push-button setup.
- Device Install: Easy setup for iPad, tablets, smartphones & computers.
- Setup Wizard: You can use the router's built-in Setup Wizard for Windows & Mac to detect your Internet settings and automatically set up the router from your computer.
- NETGEAR Genie App: Personal dashboard to monitor, control & repair your home network from your smartphone or tablet.
- Push 'N' Connect: Easy push button WiFi connections (WPS).
- WiFi Power On/Off: Convenient power savings.
NETGEAR Genie App: The NETGEAR Genie App makes getting the most out of your home network fun & easy. The Genie App lets you easily monitor, connect & control your home network from a Windows PC, Mac computer/laptop, Apple iOS device, or Android smartphone/tablet. With the NETGEAR Genie App you can share & stream music or videos, diagnose & repair network issues, set up parental controls & more.
- NETGEAR Genie App for iPhone: compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (running iOS 6.0+)
- NETGEAR Genie App for iPad: compatible with iPad (running iOS 6.0+)
- NETGEAR Genie App for Android: compatible with Android 2.2 or higher
- NETGEAR Genie App for Windows PC: compatible with Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP
- NETGEAR Genie App for Mac: compatible with Mac OS X
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Secure WiFi Connections: Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2/WPA2-PSK security with Double firewall protection (SPI/NAT firewall) and Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention.
LEDs: Status LEDs are located on the top of the router.
- Power: Solid Green means the router is ready, Blinking Green means firmware is upgrading, or Off means not power is supplied to router.
- Internet: Solid Green means the Internet connection is ready, while Off means there is not Internet connection.
- WiFi: Solid Green means the 2.4GHz WiFi radio is working, Blinking Green, means the router is sending/receiver WiFi signal, or Off means the 2.4GHz WiFi radio is off.
- Ethernet LAN Ports: Solid Green means a powered-on device is connected to the Ethernet port, Blinking Green means the port is sending or receiving signal, and Off means no device is connected to the Ethernet port.
- USB Port: Solid Green means a USB device is connected and ready, Blinking Green means a USB device is plugged and trying to connect, while Off means no USB device is connected.
- WPS: Blinking Green means the router is trying to connect wirelessly via WPS, while Solid Green means the router is connected wirelessly via WPS.
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP / 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked