About the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6
Super-fast tri-band Wi-Fi®
The NETGEAR R8000/AC3200 Nighthawk X6 offers three wireless bands and up to 3.2 Gbps speed.
Super-fast tri-band Wi-Fi®
I watch a lot of science fiction movies, and the NETGEAR R8000/AC3200 Nighthawk X6 looks like some serious future tech. Fortunately for us, it's actually current tech, featuring a groundbreaking tri-band router — one 2.4GHz band and two 5GHz Wi-Fi bands — flowing through six powerful antennas. Incredibly fast transmission speeds up to 3.2 Gbps — plus a 1GHz dual core processor — will have all of your devices connected instantly, and data moving at warp speed.
Not only are there more wireless bands, but they also make smarter connections. The Nighthawk X6 will assign each device to the Wi-Fi band where it can connect at its maximum possible speed. That means more powerful devices get in the fast lane, so all of your connected devices load and stream at top speed.
Put your USB drive to work
If you plug your USB hard drive into your Nighthawk Wi-Fi router, you'll open up the door to NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD® USB Access. That means wherever you are, you'll be able to access your connected USB storage device, so you can keep large files like photos and videos at home, then see and share them when you're out and about without taking up precious space on your mobile device. The router can also perform regularly scheduled backups to the connected drive, so your important data stays current and safe.
NETGEAR's Wi-Fi Protected Access® offers tough WPA/WPA2 encryption that denies outsiders access to your wireless signal. This router also offers double firewall protection and a stiff defense against denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. If you have young ones in the house, use the router's parental controls to filter out content you don't want them to see. If you're one of the growing number of people who occasionally works from home, the Nighthawk offers a strong, secure VPN connection as well.
Easy to install and use
NETGEAR routers are designed for easy installation. Once you've plugged in a few cables, use the single-button Push ‘N' Connect function to connect your Wi-Fi quickly. The NETGEAR genie® app lets you monitor, control and troubleshoot your network from a convenient personal dashboard.
- 802.11ac Tri Band Gigabit wireless router
- simultaneous triple-band operation (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz x 2) delivers more Wi-Fi for more devices
- 6 high-performance antennas and 3 offload processors provide excellent wireless coverage for large properties
- AC3200 Wi-Fi (600 + 1300 + 1300 Mbps)
- up to 600 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 1300 Mbps on first 802.11ac band
- up to 1300 Mbps on second 802.11ac band
- powerful 1GHz dual-core processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- single-button Push 'N' Connect function
- DLNA compliant for easy content sharing
- NETGEAR genie® app helps you monitor, control, and troubleshoot your home network
- 128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM internal memory
- Smart Connect intelligently selects the fastest Wi-Fi band for each device
- bandwidth can be prioritized for online gaming, streaming videos, or high-res music
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- Airtime fairness prevents network lag when slower devices connect
- ReadyCLOUD® USB Access allows secure remote cloud access to USB storage
- five 10/100/1000 (4 LAN and 1 WAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- one USB 3.0 port
- one USB 2.0 port
- Wi-Fi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2-PSK)
- double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
- VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters
- automatic backup software for Windows® PC included
- compatible with Time Machine® for Mac
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 11-5/8"W x 2-3/16"H x 8-15/16"D
- weight: 2.43 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R8000-100NAS
What's in the box:
- Tri-Band WiFi router
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 58" Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Guide
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6
Tri-Band WiFi Router: NETGEAR's Nighthawk X6 router with breakthrough Tri-Band WiFi technology is built to connect to each and every network device in your home (like laptops, tablets, phones, TVs, game consoles, music streamers, cameras); automatically and simultaneously. A powerful combination of features - wireless speed of up to 3.2Gbps, 3 WiFi bands, Smart Connect intelligence, and Dynamic QoS - guarantees every device is assigned the fastest WiFi connection possible and optimized for maximum speed.
Variety of Applications: With NETGEAR's Nighthawk X6 Smart WiFi Router, you can create a powerful home network for applications such as lag-free multiple HD streaming, multi-player online gaming, ultra-fast, reliable connection to the Internet and a secure wireless connection.
- Multiple Devices: Nighthawk X6's Tri-Band WiFi provides more range and reliable connection for all your mobile devices.
- Surf/Chat/Email: Enjoy a reliable, secure wireless connection to the Internet for surfing the web, chatting, and email.
- HD Video Streaming: Optimized for a smooth, lag-free HD video streaming experience; even for multiple devices.
- Internet Radio Music: Enjoy a fast and reliable wireless connection for listening to music online.
- Online Gaming: Optimized for multi-player gaming with no lags.
1GHz Dual-Core Processor: With a 1GHz dual-core processor and three offload processors, the Nighthawk X6 delivers faster WiFi speed, faster wired speed, faster USB access speed, and faster WAN-to-LAN speeds meaning faster overall network speeds than ever before.
Tri-Band WiFi w/ Smart Connect: Tri-Band WiFi with Smart Connect is the ultimate solution for today's home WiFi networks. With one 2.4GHz band and two 5GHz WiFi bands to work with, the X6 has the capacity, flexibility, and intelligence to assign each device to the WiFi band where it can connect at its maximum possible speed. The result is that faster devices can connect and perform unhindered by slower or older devices; meaning all devices load, stream, and game at their maximum speed. Fastest combined WiFi speed - up to 3.2Gbps 600+1300+1300 Mbps speeds.
- 600 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band 256 QAM (802.11n)
- 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz band 1 (802.11ac)
- 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz band 2 (802.11ac)
Advanced WiFi Technologies: With features like Dynamic QoS, Beamforming+, Smart Connect, and Load Balancing you get enhanced speed by up to 100% and increased reliability so you can roam freely throughout your home without fear of slow or dropped connections.
- Dynamic QoS: Dynamic Quality of Service (QoS) prioritizes your WiFi bandwidth by application and device. If your Internet bandwidth is limited, Dynamic QoS resolves Internet traffic congestion by using better application and device identification, bandwidth allocation, and traffic prioritization techniques. If you like gaming and streaming videos, you can benefit from enabling Dynamic QoS. If you use a gigabit Internet connection, or your Internet download and upload speed is 300 Mbps or faster, you don't need to use Dynamic QoS.
- Beamforming+: Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ the router & device communicate with each other, so the router can directly beam the WiFi signal to the device. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
- Smart Connect: Smart Connect intelligently selects the best WiFi band for each dual-band device to optimize connection speed and performance based on that device's speed and performance. The router automatically manages your WiFi connections, performing load balancing across the two 5 GHz radios. This additional WiFi bandwidth combined with the intelligence to segregate traffic based on WiFi speed and load balancing provides the best performance for multiple WiFi devices in the home.
- Load Balancing: The router uses load balancing to distribute WiFi connections among all three WiFi bands, to ensure that both the WiFi bands are utilized. Load balancing avoids overloading a single 5 GHz band and ensures that both the WiFi bands are utilized and device connections are spread across the two bands.
Gigabit Wired: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Router is fitted with five 10/100/1000 (1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices.
ReadySHARE: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band router allows you to share USB devices, DLNA media, and printers through ReadySHARE.
- Dual USB Ports w/ ReadySHARE: The USB 3.0/2.0 ports on the router can be used to connect USB storage devices such as flash drives or hard drives, or a printer. The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives (if your USB drive uses special drivers, it is not compatible). You can share data that is stored on most common USB storage devices across your WiFi network with ReadySHARE USB Storage Access. ReadySHARE lets you access and share a USB drive connected to the router's USB port. Do not connect computers, USB modems, CD drives, or DVD drives to the router's USB port.
- ReadyDLNA Media Server: By default, the extender functions as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you stream music and movies from an attached USB device to DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, Smart TVs, game consoles, and NETGEAR media players.
- ReadySHARE Printer: The ReadySHARE Printer utility lets you share a USB printer that is connected to the USB port on your extender. You can share this USB printer among the Windows and Mac computers on your network.
iTunes & AirPlay Compatible: The router's iTunes Server lets you play music with your Windows or Mac iTunes app from a USB device that is connected to the router USB port. You can also use the Apple Remote app from an iPhone or iPad to play music on any AirPlay devices, such as Apple TV or AirPlay-supported receivers. Supported music file formats are MP3, AAC, and FLAC. The maximum number of music files supported is 10,000
Cloud Storage: Access and share your files stored on a USB Drive through NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD USB Access. Simply plug your USB hard drive into the NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi Router to create secure personal cloud storage. Enjoy the convenience and accessibility of Google Drive and Dropbox without the fees, storage limitations, or privacy concerns. Using the ReadyCLOUD mobile app or web portal, you'll now have anytime, anywhere access to your USB drive at home.
Simple Setup: NETGEAR makes installation and management fast & simple, so you can connect quickly & make sure you stay that way. The router offers a built-in Setup Wizard for computer setup, an Apple & Google Play app for Apple iOS & Android setup, plus a WPS push-button setup.
- Device Install: Easy setup for iPad, tablets, smartphones & computers.
- Setup Wizard: You can use the router's built-in Setup Wizard for Windows & Mac to detect your Internet settings and automatically set up the router from your computer.
- NETGEAR Genie App: Personal dashboard to monitor, control & repair your home network from your smartphone or tablet.
- Push 'N' Connect: Easy push button WiFi connections (WPS).
- WiFi Power On/Off: Convenient power savings.
NETGEAR Genie App: The NETGEAR Genie App makes getting the most out of your home network fun & easy. The Genie App lets you easily monitor, connect & control your home network from a Windows PC, Mac computer/laptop, Apple iOS device, or Android smartphone/tablet. With the NETGEAR Genie App you can share & stream music or videos, diagnose & repair network issues, set up parental controls & more.
- NETGEAR Genie App for iPhone: compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (running iOS 6.0+)
- NETGEAR Genie App for iPad: compatible with iPad (running iOS 6.0+)
- NETGEAR Genie App for Android: compatible with Android 2.2 or higher
- NETGEAR Genie App for Windows PC: compatible with Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP
- NETGEAR Genie App for Mac: compatible with Mac OS X
Alexa Commands: When you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa to send your network credentials to your Alexa app, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. The following Alex commands are supported -
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to enable the guest network
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to disable the guest network
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to reboot my router
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to send me my WiFi settings
- Before you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa, you must download the NETGEAR genie app, create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- There are two ways to enable your NETGEAR router to work with Amazon Alexa. You can use the command "Alexa, enable the NETGEAR skill," or you can manually link the NETGEAR skill to your Alexa app.
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- VPN Support: VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Secure WiFi Connections: Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2/WPA2-PSK security with Double firewall protection (SPI/NAT firewall) and Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Personal FTP Server: With your customized free URL, you can use FTP to access your network when you aren't home through Dynamic DNS.
Auto Backup: Keep your content safe by using the included ReadySHARE Vault application for backing up Windows-based PCs. For Mac OS users, back-up using Apple Time Machine.
- ReadyShare Vault PC: Free ReadyShare Vault PC software it there for you to schedule automatic hassle-free backups to safeguard precious photos and files from any PC directly to the connected USB storage. ReadyShare Vault is free to download and use with the Nighthawk X6.
- Time Machine: You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard disk drive that is connected to one of the router's USB ports.
Firmware/Software Updates: Its USB 2.0/3.0 ports and 128MB Flash/128MB memory provide future software feature expansion. Click here for the latest firmware/software updates from NETGEAR.
LEDs: LEDs on the top-panel of the Nighthawk X6 indicate router status.
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7/ Vista/ XP / 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher.
1 question already asked