About the Arlo Smart Home Security Add-on Camera
100% wireless HD security camera
100% wireless HD security camera
Perhaps you've discovered an important blind spot in your security coverage, or moved into a larger home or office location. No problem! Just add additional Arlo VMC3030 wireless security cameras to your existing Arlo VMS3330 system by NETGEAR. The camera's LED night vision illuminates up to 25 feet away, so you can even see in the dark. This small, light add-on camera can integrate seamlessly into your Arlo network and give you additional peace of mind.
No wires and an elegant design help the Arlo VMC3030 blend in with your home decor.
- add-on wireless camera for Arlo security system
- full-color CMOS image sensor
- rated for indoor/outdoor use
- 110° field of view
- resolution: configurable up to 1280 x 720 pixels
- LED night vision illuminates up to 25 feet away
- stay informed with automatic email alerts and push notifications
- powered by 4 lithium CR123 photo batteries
- compatible with Samsung SmartThings home automation system and Apple TV
- note: this camera has no audio sensing or audio recording capability
- 1-5/8"W x 2-1/2"H x 2-13/16"D
- weight: 4 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 4193353
What's in the box:
- Add-on wireless security camera
- 4 Lithium CR123 batteries
- Mounting bracket
- 4 Mounting screws
- 4 Wall-anchors
- Quick Start Guide
- GNU General Public License
Arlo Smart Home Security Add-on Camera reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Arlo Smart Home Security Add-on Camera
Arlo HD Security Camera System: This unit is an additional camera for the Arlo HD Security Camera System (item number 941ARLOSYS). The system, sold separately, includes an indoor base station w/ built-in WiFi and three wireless HD indoor/outdoor cameras with motion detection.
Applications: With this camera added to the Arlo security system, you can watch over an empty home or business, to monitor your driveway or the entrance to your home, or to safeguard any other space in or around the house. The Arlo security system can keep an eye on the kids after school, pets home alone, sleeping babies, and elderly family members. No matter who or what you care about most, the Arlo system helps make sure it all stays safe.
System Requirements: You will need the following to activate your Arlo Smart Home Security system.
- A Window PC, Mac computer, Apple iOS (7.0+) iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android (4.0.3+) smartphone/tablet, or Kindle Fire.
- The Arlo app mobile app for your smartphone or tablet, visit the Apple, Google Play, or Amazon app store and search for "Arlo".
- If you are using a computer or laptop, you also need a supported Internet browser - Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox 3.5 or higher, Safari 3 or higher (Except on Windows and Linux), or Chrome.
- A high-speed internet connection (minimum 1 Mbps upstream recommended).
- An available Ethernet port (443 or 80) on your router.
Simple Setup: It takes just minutes to setup your new Arlo network camera system. Just connect the base station to your router & the Internet, mount & sync the cameras, and download the free Arlo app on your computer, laptop, smartphone, or tablet device. After your Arlo system is set up, you can change settings, view content and view camera streams remotely using the app or web browser client. Arlo can alert you by email notification or through the Arlo app whenever it records a video.
Arlo Smart Plans: The Arlo HD Security Camera System comes with the Arlo Basic subscription plan, which includes 7 days of cloud recordings (up to 1 GB of cloud storage). When a video reaches its 7-day expiration date, it is automatically deleted. You have up to 1 GB of cloud storage to use within this period. If you reach the 1 GB storage limit within 7 days, then no more videos are stored in your account until you manually delete older videos. Up to 5 cameras and 1 base station can be connected. 90 Day technical support is offered for the Basic plan. Additional Arlo Smart Plans are available (prices current as of 7/15/19, and subject to change):
- Arlo Smart ($2.99 per camera per month): The Arlo Smart plan lets you expand the Basic plan storage period from 7 to 30 days.
- Arlo Smart Premier ($9.99/mo. or $99/yr.): The Smart Premier plan includes 30 days of cloud recordings (up to 10 GB of cloud storage). When a video reaches its 30-day expiration date, it is automatically deleted. You have up to 10 GB of cloud storage to use within this period. If you reach the 10 GB storage limit within 30 days, then no more videos are stored in your account until you manually delete older videos. In addition, Premier plan subscribers can connect up to 10 cameras to the cloud. Unlimited technical support is included with this plan.
- Arlo Smart Elite ($14.99/mo. or $149/yr.): The Smart Elite plan includes 60 days of cloud recordings (up to 100 GB of cloud storage). When a video reaches its 60-day expiration date, it is automatically deleted. You have up to 100 GB of cloud storage to use within this period. If you reach the 100 GB storage limit within 60 days, then no more videos are stored in your account until you manually delete older videos. Elite plan subscribers can also connect up to 15 cameras and 3 base stations. Unlimited technical support is included with this plan.
Note: You can also add friends to your Arlo account. Friends can view live streams from your cameras, record video clips, view, share, favorite and delete clips from your library, and take snapshots. Friends have limited access to some of the settings and features on your Arlo account. You can select which cameras friends can see and what administrative rights are available to them.
Cloud Storage & Security: Recorded video from the security cameras is stored in the Arlo cloud so you can see all the activity the cameras detect at any time. The Arlo system is designed to maintain the highest level of security to keep your videos private and secure in the cloud.
- AES Encryption: AES encryption protects your information. This is the same encryption method that financial institutions use to safeguard user data. AES-128 bit encryption and Transport Layer Security (TLS) ensure that your Arlo camera videos are secure to and from the Arlo camera and base station.
- NETGEAR Security: NETGEAR passed the Safe Harbor
certification and meets strict European Union privacy requirements. In
addition, NETGEAR implements the following security measures.
- strict password requirements are in place to keep your account safe
- account authentication over a secure HTTPS connection prevents eavesdropping
- Arlo limits login attempts (a maximum of five login attempts over five minutes) to prevent bots from guessing your password
Base Station: The Arlo HD security camera system's included base station connects to your existing network router using an Ethernet cable. The base station then creates its own WiFi (802.11n/2.4GHz) hotspot to communicate with the system's included wireless network cameras. The base station features a 500mHz MIPS 74K processor with 128MB Flash/128MB RAM memory for fast and reliable performance. The base station needs to be installed indoors.
Note: You can connect more than one Arlo base station to a network if open Ethernet ports (443/80) are available on your router. Each Arlo base station must be connected to an Ethernet port on your router.
Wireless Network Camera: Each camera features a full-color CMOS image sensor, a 110° wide-angle lens, and is capable of capturing up to 720p video. The cameras have a fixed focus of 2' to infinity, plus automatic balance and exposure adjustment. The Arlo cameras automatically detect movement, send alerts to the Arlo app on your mobile smartphone or tablet device, and record video to your free private cloud storage to review anytime. Additional VMC3030 security cameras (this unit) can be added to the system.
- Video Quality: You can choose between 3 video
quality modes which will affect picture quality and storage space. Choose
from Best video, Optimized, or Best Battery Life. The following specs
indicate the average and maximum bandwidth and storage values for a 30
second video. Video quality can also change based on the bandwidth available.
- Best Video: 600-750kbps of bandwidth and 2.2-2.8MB of storage
- Optimized: 300-550kbps of bandwidth and 1.1-2.1MB of storage
- Best Battery Life: 200-350kbps of bandwidth and 750KB-1.3MB of storage
- Motion Detection: The Arlo cameras have a motion sensor that detects changes in heat in front of the cameras. This is done with the use of Infrared (IR) technology. The motion sensor detects an object, such as a person or motor vehicle, that is warmer than the environment around it, such as a room, and that is moving in front of the sensor from right to left or from left to right. The camera's LED flashes amber when motion is detected.
- Night Vision: The camera's LED night vision illuminates up to 25' away, so you can view live video and record video in the dark.
- Weatherproof: This camera is weatherproof (IP65). It works in a wide variety of weather conditions; including sun, wind, rain, or snow. Operating temperature is 14° F to 122° F (-10° C to 50° C).
Wireless Range: You can place the Arlo cameras a maximum of 300' from the base station. In indoor installations, the range might be less if metal objects or thick walls and ceilings are between a camera and the base station. Be sure to place the Arlo cameras at least 10' from the base station, and allow at least 6.5' between cameras.
Note: Check the Camera LED on the base station; if it's blinking amber, the base station detects a low data rate; a sign that a camera is too far from the base station.
Optional Range Extenders: You can use the Arlo HD security camera system with a range extender or a Powerline adapter (sold separately) to offer you greater flexibility when deciding where to place the Arlo system's base station and cameras. Instead of connecting the base station directly to your router, you can connect the base station to an Ethernet port on a WiFi range extender or Powerline adapter (sold separately). This means you can put the Arlo base station farther away from the router or in a central location in your home to get better coverage with the Arlo security cameras.
- Range Extenders: Range extenders work as a WiFi bridge by connecting wirelessly to routers. You can use the Ethernet port on the extender to connect the Arlo base station and other devices to your home network.
- Powerline Adapters: Powerline adapters extend your network using your existing electrical wiring. Plug two or more Powerline adapters into electrical outlets to create a wired network connection. You can connect an Arlo base station to the Powerline adapter using an Ethernet cable.
Note: NETGEAR tested the Arlo camera system with NETGEAR WiFi range extenders and Powerline adapters (sold separately). If you are using an extender or an adapter offered by another manufacture, make sure that the device has an Ethernet port.
Motion Detected Recording: When motion detection is enabled, the cameras start recording automatically as soon as they detect motion. The Arlo camera system will also send an alert by email or push notification when motion is detected to your mobile device. Arlo cameras also turn on whenever you use the Arlo app to see what's happening at the moment.
Note: The cameras' motion sensors are much more sensitive to side-to-side movement across its field of view than to movement directly toward or away from the camera. The best area for motion detection is 5' to 20' from the camera position.
Instant Alerts: Instant alerts make Arlo systems useful for home monitoring. The Arlo security camera system sends instant alerts so that you know actions are occurring when they are occurring. Instant alerts are available when the cameras' motion alert is enabled using either Arlo's Scheduler feature or Manual mode selection.
Arlo App: Download the free Arlo app onto your Apple iOS (6.0+) iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android (4.0.3+) smartphone/tablet to view crystal-clear live and recorded HD video on your mobile device from the Arlo HD security camera system. The Arlo app also lets you configure the system from your mobile device & get push notifications. Configure unique features like Modes, Scheduler:
- Library & Calendar: The Arlo system stores recordings and snapshots in its cloud library. In the library you can view recordings and snapshots by the day or month they were taken using the calendar.
- Modes & Rules: A Mode is a set of rules that tell the
Arlo security system what to do and when to do it. One or more Rules can be
grouped into a Mode. You can create as many
different Modes as you need to fit your unique lifestyle. For example, you
might create a "Weekday" Mode whose Rules tell your system to turn on motion
detection on all indoor cameras, record a video of any action that's
detected, and send you an alert if anything moves. When your family gets
home from work and school, you might switch Arlo to an "Evening" Mode whose
Rules turn off indoor motion detection and alerts, and turn on motion
detection and alerts on all your outdoor cameras. Arlo comes with two
- All Motion On: In this Mode, the motion sensors on all of your cameras are active. If motion is detected, a video of what's happening will be automatically recorded to your cloud storage account and an email alert will be sent to you. This Mode is great for those times when nobody's home.
- All Motion Off: No motion sensors are active, no video is recorded and no motion alerts are sent. This Mode is generally used when someone is home.
- Scheduler: Modes can be turned on and off
manually. However, you can use Arlo's Scheduler to automatically
switch between Modes according to any schedule you create. With
Scheduler feature, your system can be set on "auto-pilot"
that automatically activates your pre-selected mode at a pre-defined
time. Using Scheduler, you can create a unique daily schedule of Modes
for every day of the week. This weekly schedule will repeat as long as
you keep the Scheduler switch set to on. For example, the schedule you
create for Tuesday will repeat every Tuesday, etc. The Scheduler feature
comes with two pre-set Modes:
- Monday through Friday, 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m.: All motion sensors are on.
- All Other Times: All motion sensors are off.
Mounting Options: You can place the wireless network cameras on a shelf or other flat surface, or you can mount them to the wall (magnetic wall-mount brackets included). When positioning your Arlo camera, keep these tips in mind.
- Position Mode: Use the Arlo app in Position mode to help aim the camera. Position Mode sends video to the cloud as quickly as possible. This allows you to aim the camera while watching the video feed on your Arlo smartphone app to make near real-time adjustments to the camera's position.
- Field Of View: The Arlo cameras have a 110° viewing angle. Position the cameras so that the space that you want to monitor is within the cameras' field of view.
- Elevate Camera: Mount the Arlo motion-detection cameras at least 7' above the floor and aim them slightly down for the best sensor performance.
- Side-To-Side Traffic: For best results, the path of expected motion should cross the cameras' field-of-view and not head directly into or away from the camera. For example, if you want to detect motion near a couch, place the camera to the side of the couch, rather than above it or opposite it. You can use the Motion Detection Test feature to verify if motion can be detected in a camera's current placement.
Note: If you are concerned about someone stealing a camera that uses a magnetic mount, you can use the threaded insert on the camera to attach it to the Arlo Adjustable Mount (VMA1000; sold separately from NETGEAR).
LED Indicators: The Arlo security camera system can tell you what state it's in simply by observing the LEDs on the front of the cameras and base station.
Battery Powered: Because the Arlo weatherproof cameras are battery powered, you can place them wherever you need them without needing to find a power outlet. Each NETGEAR Arlo wireless camera uses four CR123 lithium 3V photo batteries. The batteries last between 4 and 6 months.
Note: You can use rechargeable batteries with the Arlo cameras; however, NETGEAR cannot guarantee the performance of rechargeable batteries. In general, rechargeable batteries don't last as long as disposable batteries. Click here to find out what type of rechargeable batteries are compatible.
Dimensions: Dimensions for the Arlo security system's base station and wireless cameras.
- Base Station: 8.5" (w) x 6.4375" (h) x 2.125" (d)
- Wireless Cameras: 1.75" (w) x 2.625" (h) x 2.875" (d)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?