About the NETGEAR AX600 Nighthawk™ Cable Modem/Wi-Fi 6 Router Combo
Fast, efficient modem and router in one
I've seen super-fast modems, and I've seen routers with Wi-Fi 6 capabilities, but this is the first time I've seen both in one component. The modem inside the NETGEAR AX6000 Nighthawk uses the latest DOCSIS 3.1 standard for cable internet speeds up to 10Gbps with your ISP's high-bandwidth service package. And the router delivers high-speed signals to wireless devices in your home. It's using the latest technology, Wi-Fi 6, which is designed to handle multiple streams of traffic with maximum speed and efficiency.
Best of all, this combo unit allows you to stop "renting" your modem/router combo from your service provider. You get upgraded performance and an end to perpetual billing for equipment.
Tough network security
This router offers double firewall protection and a stiff defense against denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. And it offers secure remote access to your network via VPN, which is crucial as working remotely becomes more prevalent.
- AX6000 Nighthawk cable modem and wireless router (model CAX80)
- 802.11ax simultaneous dual-band 2.4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi (1200 Mbps + 4800 Mbps)
- uses high-powered radio amplifiers and three dual-band internal antennas for strong wireless coverage
- DLNA capable for movie, photo, and music access with compatible devices
- dual-core 1.5GHz processor
- DOCSIS 3.1 modem supports cable internet speeds up to 10Gbps
- browser-based installation makes setup easier using a tablet, smartphone, or computer
- CableLabs® certified to work with Comcast XFINITY® Spectrum®, COX® and more
- eliminates monthly cable modem rental fees
- use the NETGEAR Nighthawk app to monitor, control, and repair your home network
- Ethernet cable included
- four 10/100/1000 LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- USB 3.0 port to wirelessly access and share a USB hard drive or printer
- coaxial input for cable Internet service
- double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention
- secure remote access to your network via VPN
- easy Push 'N' Connect push-button Wi-Fi setup (WPS)
Dimensions and warranty:
- 4-3/8"W x 10-7/16"H x 8-1/2" D
- weight: 2.55 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CAX80-100NAS
What's in the box:
- High-speed cable modem/WiFi router
- 6.5' AC power cord
- 5' Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty/Support note
- Contact Information
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
NETGEAR AX600 Nighthawk™ Cable Modem/Wi-Fi 6 Router Combo reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR AX600 Nighthawk™ Cable Modem/Wi-Fi 6 Router Combo
WiFi Cable Modem Router: NETGEAR's CAX80 WiFi Cable Modem Router combines a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem and WiFi 6 (802.11ax) router in one device, so you can connect to your cable internet service provider and other network devices in your home without having to connect a separate router or gateway. The NETGEAR CAX80 is certified by most major cable Internet providers in the US. The WiFi cable modem router saves you money over time by owning your cable equipment and avoiding monthly rental charges from your cable internet service provider.
US Cable Internet Service Provider Compatibility: The AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router is compatible with most major US cable internet service providers; like XFINITY, Spectrum, Cox, and Comcast. The cable modem supports the assignment of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses by cable Internet providers. Not compatible with Cable bundled voice services.
- You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) and tell them that you are using the cable modem. Before you connect the cable modem and contact your cable Internet provider, collect your cable account number, account phone number, and login information (your email address or user name and password).
- If Comcast XFINITY is your cable Internet provider, setup Internet service by using Comcast XFINITY self-activation process. If you are unable to self-activate your modem router, call Comcast XFINITY customer service.
CableLabs DOCSIS 3.1 Certified: DOCSIS 3.1 offers a huge jump in download and upload internet speeds, supporting up to 10 Gbps download and 1 Gbps upload speeds (with 32 downstream & 8 upstream channels). Since the technology is backwards compatible, upgrading to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem means you’ll still enjoy your current internet service and be ready for the fastest speeds available in your area when your service provider upgrades to DOCSIS 3.1.
Note: Maximum speed is derived from DOCSIS 3.1 specifications and actual throughput varies depending on your Internet subscription with your provider.
Powerful Dual-Core Processor: A 1.5GhHz dual-core processor provides reliable internet access, as well as efficiently handles wired and wireless network traffic for streaming Ultra-HD videos, listening to Hi-Res music, high-speed online gaming, and faster downloads.
Dual Band WiFi: Simultaneous dual band WiFi provides two separate WiFi bands that work simultaneously. Simultaneous dual band WiFi technology reduces interference for better connections to more WiFi devices with fast download speeds up to 6.0Gbps.
- Band 1 (2.4GHZ): The 2.4GHz band is designed for legacy devices and supports speeds up to 1200Mbps.
- Band 2 (5GHZ): The 5GHz band is less interference-prone for next-gen media streaming devices, and supports speeds up to 4800Mbps
WiFi 6 (802.11ax): The NETGEAR CAX80 offers the latest generation WiFi 6 (802.11ax) technology, providing greater capacity to handle more devices on your network and speeds up to 6.0Gbps, ensuring that you can enjoy blazing fast Internet connections on all your devices. WiFi 6 is the latest generation of WiFi that delivers 4x better performance than WiFi 5 (802.11ac)for a huge boost in speed and total capacity. This new standard of WiFi is designed to support more devices with better reliability and faster speeds. WiFi 6 is also backward compatible with earlier WiFi generation devices (including 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac).
- 8 Stream MU-MIMO: The CAX80 cable modem router supports multi-user MIMO transmission technology. 8 WiFi streams (4 in the 2.4GHz band and 4 in the 5GHz band) enable the router to send and receive more data from your network devices. Essentially, more spatial streams means more available bandwidth and less congestion for all the devices in the WiFi network. As a result, you'll maintain fast and reliable wireless connections throughout your home, even when multiple devices are concurrently streaming UHD content.
- OFDMA with Intelligent Scheduling: Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) enables efficient data scheduling so that more transmissions can be sent at the same time, resulting in an impressive capacity increase in your network. This increased or available bandwidth allows you to add more devices to your network. The CAX80 supports uplink and downlink OFDMA to efficiently use air-time with better frequency reuse, reduced latency, and increased network efficiency. This is extremely useful for latency sensitive applications such as virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) and Internet of things (IoT) sensors.
- Beamforming: Beamforming boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming the router & device communicate with each other, so the router can directly beam the WiFi signal to the device. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
- Smart Connect: Smart Connect selects the fastest WiFi band for your device. For Smart Connect to work, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands must use the same WiFi network name (SSID) and network key (password). That means that when you connect to the router with WiFi, you see only one SSID that connects to both bands.
Wired Connections: The CAX80 modem router provides one coaxial cable connector to connect to your ISP and four 10/100/1000 LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports to connect local network devices.
- Coax Connector: The modem router's coax connector plugs into your cable internet service provider's coax cable.
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The four RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet ports (10/100/1000) with auto-sensing technology let you make a wired connection to local LAN devices, like your computer, game system, smart TV, and Blu-ray player. The CAX80 supports port aggregation so you can combine two ports for 2x the wired speed of 2.5G.
Nighthawk App: The Nighthawk App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ & Android OS 5.0+) makes it easy and intuitive to setup and use the NETGEAR CAX80 Cable Modem Router. With the Nighthawk app, you can install your router using very few steps - just connect your mobile device to the default network, and the app will walk you through the rest. The app automatically updates the router to the latest firmware, allows you to personalize your WiFi network, and even help register your router with NETGEAR. At the end of installation, an easy to use overview screen provides quick way to see what your network credentials are so you don't have to write it down on a piece of paper. The overview screen also shows you all connected devices and links you to helpful support information related to your router.
Voice Control: When you enable your NETGEAR router to work with an Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately), you can use voice commands to configure the cable modem router's settings. You can also ask Alexa or Google Assistant to send your network credentials to your Alexa or Google Home app, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. The following voice commands are supported -
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to enable the guest network.
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to disable the guest network.
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to reboot my router.
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to send me my WiFi settings.
- The CAX80 does not have a built-in microphone; and external Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately) is required for voice recognition.
- Before you enable Alexa or Google Assistant voice commands, you must download the The Nighthawk App for (Apple iOS 11.0+ & Android OS 5.0+), create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- You'll also need to enable the "NETGEAR Skill" within the Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) or Google Home App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+).
- You can only have one digital voice assistant (Alexa or Google) activated; you cannot use both.
Ready Share Access: The NETGEAR Nighthawk CAX80 allows you to share a USB devic, DLNA media, and printer through Ready Share.
- USB 3.0 Port with Ready Share: The USB 3.0 ports on the router can be used to connect USB storage devices such as flash drives or hard drives, or a printer. The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives (if your USB drive uses special drivers, it is not compatible). You can share data that is stored on most common USB storage devices across your WiFi network with ReadySHARE USB Storage Access. ReadySHARE lets you access and share a USB drive connected to the router's USB port. Do not connect computers, USB modems, CD drives, or DVD drives to the router's USB port.
- ReadyDLNA Media Server: By default, the extender functions as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you stream music and movies from an attached USB device to DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, Smart TVs, game consoles, and NETGEAR media players.
- ReadySHARE Printer: The ReadySHARE Printer utility lets you share a USB printer that is connected to the USB port on your extender. You can share this USB printer among the Windows and Mac computers on your network.
Backup Apps: Keep your content safe by using NETGEAR's ReadySHARE Vault application for backing up Windows-based PCs. For Mac OS users, back-up using Apple Time Machine.
- ReadySHARE Vault (for Windows PC): NETGEAR ReadySHARE Vault is a free software for automatic Windows PC backup to a USB hard drive connected to the router. You can schedule automatic hassle-free backups to safeguard precious photos and files from any PC directly to the connected USB storage.
- Time Machine (for Mac): You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard disk drive that is connected to one of the router's USB ports.
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Secure WiFi Connections: Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2/WPA2-PSK security with Double firewall protection (SPI/NAT firewall) and Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Personal FTP Server: With your customized free URL, you can use FTP to access your network when you aren't home through Dynamic DNS.
AC Power Adapter: The NETGEAR CAX80 includes an AC power adapter that will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Mounting Options: The CAX80 can simply be placed on a flat-surface table-top. It does not support wall-mounting.