About the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6S
Expand your existing Wi-Fi network
Expand your existing Wi-Fi network
The Nighthawk X6S works with your existing router — any Wi-Fi router — to help you create a convenient mesh network. It boosts wireless coverage into distant corners of your home and uses the same Wi-Fi network name so you can get seamless service as you move from room to room. Older range extenders created a separate network name, so users had to disconnect from one and connect to the other constantly.
This extender offers one 2.4 GHz band and two 5 GHz bands, so you can teleconference, stream video, play video games and download software without overtaxing your network.
The X6S creates a dedicated link between itself and your Wi-Fi router, which frees up bandwidth for your wireless devices. This also benefits wired connections — devices you connect to any of the extender's four Ethernet ports won't compete for bandwidth with devices that connect wirelessly, thanks to that dedicated channel.
- desktop 802.11ac tri-band Gigabit wireless range extender
- extends Wi-Fi signals from existing routers for better range
- one 2.4 GHz band and two 5 GHz bands
- AC3000 Wi-Fi (1733+866+400)
- six high-performance internal antennas
- quad-core processor for maximum Wi-Fi performance
- four 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- USB 2.0 port allows remote access to connected drive
- FastLane3™ feature provides high-speed Wi-Fi on both wireless bands for HD gaming and video streaming
- MU-MIMO enables simultaneous streaming of data to multiple devices
- Push 'N' Connect using Wi-Fi Protected Setup® (WPS)
- security: Wi-Fi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2-PSK) and WEP
Dimensions and warranty:
- 6-11/16"W x 8-15/16"H x 3-11/16"D (vertical orientation)
- weight: 1.9 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # EX8000-100NAS
What's in the box:
- WiFi mesh extender
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- Quick Start Guide
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6S
Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender: The Nighthawk X6S (EX8000-100NAS) from Netgear is a Tri-band WiFi Range Extender with patented FastLane3 technology that boosts your WiFi's wireless opearting range with speeds up to 3Gbps. The Nighthawk X6S helps eliminate WiFi dead zones and extend WiFi range to hard-to-reach areas of your home. This advanced tri-band WiFi extender includes a dedicated 5GHz band with up to 1.7Gbps for extending internet speeds to your devices, and will work with any WiFi router. Use the Nighthawk X6S with your existing WiFi network router and create a powerful whole home WiFi system.
802.11ac: The extender supports the 802.11ac networking standard. This new standard offers better speed, improved reliability, and more range than older WiFi networking standards. The extender is also backward compatible with earlier WiFi a/b/g/n standards. However, to get the benefits of 802.11ac, your WiFi router must support the 802.11ac WiFi networking standard. In comparison, the latest 802.11ac WiFi standard is 3x faster than the older 802.11n WiFi standard.
Patented FastLane3 Technology: The Nighthawk X6S (EX8000-100NAS) utilizes patented FastLane3 technology which features Tri-Band WiFi with speeds up to 3Gbps, a Dedicated WiFi Link to the router to avoid halving of bandwidth of extended WiFi signals, and innovative antenna design for ultimate coverage. This feature maximizes performance by limiting devices to a specific band. With the Nighthawk X6S you'll get a congestion free path for all your network devices to connect to the internet.
One WiFi Name: Nighthawk X6S creates a seamless network throughout your home by using the same WiFi network name (SSID) as your router. Your WiFi devices, like smartphones and laptops, will remain connected to the same network name as you move around your home. Other models of extenders create a separate WiFi network name (SSID) than the router's WiFi, causing disconnect and reconnect.
MU-MIMO: MU-MIMO enables simultaneous streaming of data for multiple devices (your existing WiFi router must also support MU-MIMO). By streaming simultaneously, WiFi is used more efficiently and your devices get their data faster.
Smart Roaming: Smart Roaming intelligently connects your mobile devices to the optimal WiFi for 4K streaming, surfing and more. Now you can enjoy uninterrupted streaming on YouTube or Netflix, even as you move around the house. Smart Roaming is designed for devices that support the 802.11k standard.
4 Gigabit LAN Ports w/ Access Point Mode: Access Point mode creates a WiFi hotspot using a wired Ethernet connection. You can use the extender in access point mode as a WiFi access point and create a new WiFi hotspot by using a wired Ethernet connection. There are four 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology. These four Gigabit Ethernet ports are used to connect wired devices like smart TVs and game consoles to your home's WiFi network.
4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The Nighthawk X6S is also a great choice if you need more Ethernet ports to connect more network-ready wired devices. Use the extender's four (4) Gigabit Ethernet ports to connect wired devices like Smart TVs and game consoles.
ReadySHARE: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S WiFi Range Extender allows you to share USB devices, DLNA media, and printers through ReadySHARE.
- USB 2.0 Port: The USB 2.0 port on the extender can be used only to connect USB MSC (mass storage class) devices, such as as USB thumbdrive. The extender works with most USB MSC thumbdrives formatted in FAT 16/32, NTFS, Ext 2/3/4, or HFS/HFS+. ReadySHARE lets you access and share contents of the USB thumbdrive connected to the extender USB port.
- DLNA Media Server: By default, the extender functions as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you stream music and movies from an attached USB device to DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, Smart TVs, game consoles, and NETGEAR media players.
- Printer: The ReadySHARE Printer utility lets you share a USB printer that is connected to the USB port on the X6S extender. You can share this USB printer among the Windows and Mac computers on your network.
Nighthawk App: The NETGEAR Nighthawk App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.2+) makes it easy to set up the extender from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. With the app you can install your extender in a few steps; just connect your mobile device to the router network and the app will walk you through the rest. Once setup is complete, you can use the app's intuitive dashboard to pause the Internet on your connected devices, run a quick Internet speed test, setup smart parental controls and much more.
Security Options: The Nighthawk X6S WiFi range extender offers WPS & Web Browser setup. Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WEP, WPA, and WPA2 security. You can also use WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) to connect the extender to your WiFi router without typing your existing router's WiFi network name (SSID) or WiFi password.
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Router Type: 2.4 and/or 5GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi router or gateway
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0, Firefox 20 or Safari 5.1, or Google Chrome 25.0 browsers or higher
Firmware Updates: Unless you changed the settings in the Firmware Update screen previously, the extender is set up to check for new firmware automatically at login. Click here for the latest firmware/software updates from NETGEAR.