About the NETGEAR GSS108E-100NAS
Get your whole home in sync with a Gigabit Ethernet switch
When you need superfast wired Ethernet for your home network, NETGEAR's GSS108E-100NAS offers Gigabit speeds for up to 8 connected devices, so that it can connect your entire home theater and still have ports to spare. The flexible 1-2-3-4 Click mounting bracket gives you four different ways to mount the switch, so it can be conveniently secured out of sight and out of mind. LED indicators can be quickly turned off, so that you can stay focused on your movies, not on the distracting lights.
- Gigabit Ethernet switch with connections for up to 8 devices
- dual charging ports for USB devices
- 1-2-3-4 Click mounting system allows for mounting versatility
- power cable can be routed outwards or downwards as needed
- operating temperature: 32°-104° F
- 2-9/16"W x 12"H x 1-3/8"D (in vertical orientation)
- weight: 15.5 oz.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # GSS108E-100NAS
What's in the box:
- 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet switch
- 58" AC power cord
- Mounting bracket
- 2 Screws
- Resource CD-ROM
- Installation Guide
More details on the NETGEAR GSS108E-100NAS
Gigabit Ethernet Switch: The Netgear ProSafe Click Switch (GSS108E) is Gigabit Ethernet switch with an 8-Gigabit port configuration. ProSafe Plus Switch networking features, allow businesses to segment their network with VLANs or prioritize voice and video traffic with QoS, plus IGMP Snooping allows for optimized multimedia delivery.
- 8 Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The Netgear ProSafe Click Switch (GSS108E) features 8 Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 jacks (100BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, or 100BASE-T). Use a category 5e (Cat 5e) or better Ethernet cable (sold separately) for connection.
- USB Charging Ports: The GSS108E features two conveniently placed USB (type-A) ports for you to charge your smartphones and tablets. 10-watts maximum per port or 15 watts maximum total.
ProSafe Plus Utility: You can install a configuration utility to select additional options to manage and customize the Click Switch for your network. This utility software is on the resource CD that is shipped with the Click Switch. The configuration utility software is installed on your computer and is supported only on Windows.
VLANs: Segment network into smaller groups for more secure and efficient use of network resources. Virtual LANs (VLANs) are made up of networked devices that are grouped logically into separate networks. You can group ports on a switch to create a virtual network made up of the devices connected to the ports. VLANs can be grouped using port-based or 802.1Q criteria. The Click Switch includes the following VLAN options:
- Port Based: Assign ports to virtual networks. Data from a port that is a member of a VLAN group is restricted to other members of that VLAN group. This feature provides an easy way to partition a network into private subnetworks.
- 802.1Q: Create virtual networks using 802.1Q criteria. You configure ports to be a part of a VLAN group. When a port receives data tagged for a VLAN group, the data is discarded unless the port is a member of the VLAN group. This technique is useful for communicating with devices outside of your local network as well as allowing you to receive data from other ports not in your VLAN group. You must know the VLAN group IDs used.
QoS: The GSS108E Click Switch is able to prioritize voice and video traffic with QoS for optimized network performance and better delivery of mission-critical traffic, such as voice and video.
IGMP Snooping: Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) snooping allows a switch to forward multicast traffic intelligently on the switch. Multicast IP traffic is traffic that is destined to a host group. Host groups are identified by class D IP addresses, which range from 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168. Based on the IGMP. query and report messages, the switch forwards traffic only to the ports that request the multicast traffic. This feature prevents the switch from broadcasting the traffic to all ports and possibly affecting network performance. The switch maintains a map that shows which links need which IP multicast streams. The switch forwards multicast traffic only to the links that requested them and cuts multicast traffic from links that do not contain a multicast listener. Essentially, IGMP snooping helps optimize multicast performance at Layer 2 and is especially useful for bandwidth-intensive IP multicast applications such as IPTV.
Port Mirroring & Cable Tester: Port mirroring allows a switch port to see data on another port for better and quicker network diagnostics and troubleshooting. The Cable Tester feature allows you to easily identify bad Ethernet cables.
1-2-3-4 "Click" Mounting System: The innovative 1-2-3-4 "click" mounting system gives you the flexibility to place the Click Switch in locations where other switches will not go. Whether it's directly on a wall, strapped to a pole, under the meeting table in a conference room or in a server closet, vertical or horizontal, the Click Switch's unique mounting system allow you to control exactly how your ports and cables are deployed. To install, just mount the bracket onto a wall, desk, table leg/pole, or virtually anywhere, and "click" the Ethernet switch into the bracket.
Wire Management: The Click Switch's slim design and internal power supply enables you to organize wires, secure cables, eliminate bulky power adapters, and improve the overall appearance of wiring closets, training facilities, lab benches, conference rooms, and entertainment centers that require multiple connected devices. The multi-directional power cable can be routed outwards or downwards. Ethernet cables can be strapped to the bracket or mounting surface using the provided retaining strap.
Status LEDs: Status LEDs are located on the front of the Click Switch. When the Click Switch is powered on, the power LED lights solid green. The LED lights can be turned off for non-distracting placement next to a TV.
No Fan: The Netgear ProSafe Click Switch (GSS108E) silently runs without a fan, so you forget its even there.
AC Power: The GSS108E Click Switch operates off of standard house hold AC current (100-240 VAC 50/60Hz, 1.0A maximum). Power consumption is rated at 20.14 watts.
Firmware Updates: Download new firmware from the Netgear support website.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?