About the NETGEAR LB1121
Broadband internet from your mobile data plan
Broadband internet from your mobile data plan
You can still have a speedy connection to the internet, even if you live in a rural area or run a food truck or farmer's market stall. The NETGEAR LB1121 uses your cellular data to generate up to 150 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload speeds.
The modem's Power Over Ethernet (PoE) capability means it can be powered by a PoE source — like a PoE-capable Ethernet switch — so you don't have to find space for another plug in a crowded AC outlet.
Note: You will need to obtain a 3FF SIM card or 4FF SIM card (with adapter) from your mobile broadband internet provider. The SIM card installs on the bottom of the 4G LTE modem.
- uses your cellular data to generate high-speed Wi-Fi when used with a wireless router
- up to 150 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload speeds
- can be powered via PoE (power over Ethernet) or included AC adapter
- Gigabit Ethernet WAN port for connection pass-through
- LED lights let you check signal strength at a glance
- 4G to 3G fallback support
- direct IP pass-through for secure enterprise VPN configuration
- includes AC power adapter, Ethernet cable and quick start guide
- requires 3FF SIM card or 4FF SIM card (with adapter)
Dimensions and warranty:
- 4-13/16"W x 1-1/4"H 5-3/16"D
- weight: 6.4 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # LB1121-100NAS
What's in the box:
- 4G LTE modem
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- 58" Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR LB1121
4G LTE Modem: The NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem (LB1121) provides broadband data services to areas where wired Internet is not readily available or is difficult, costly, or time-consuming to install. Using the NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem for broadband connectivity enables Internet access at fast speeds with the convenience of portability and flexibility. Unlike other connectivity sources, the NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem can be easily installed in a matter of minutes, and it's ideal for a wide range of environments including rural areas, outdoors, and locations where a wire-line option is not readily available. The NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem is also a reliable backup source for broadband connectivity, allowing you to continue running without any disruption when your hardwired internet broadband is unexpectedly not available. The following system requirements are need to utilize the NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem (LB112).
- Compatible 3G/4G LTE Mobile Service with 3FF Micro-SIM card or 4FF SIM card (need adapter)
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Vista, XP; Mac OS (10.6.8. and newer); and other operating systems running a TCP/IP network (for accessing Web Management User Interface)
- Compatible browsers such as Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers and higher (for accessing Web Management User Interface)
Note: You will need to obtain a 3FF SIM card or 4FF SIM card (with adapter) from your mobile broadband Internet provider. The SIM card installs on the bottom of the 4G LTE modem.
4G LTE + 3G Compatible: The NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem (LB1121) supports 4G LTE and 3G with download speeds of up to 150 Mbps. The modem uses existing 4G LTE mobile networks with automatic fallback to 3G mobile networks to provide broadband data services. The following mobile 4G LTE and 3G broadband bands are supported.
- 4G LTE: Bands 2, 4, 5, and 12
- 3G: Bands 2 and 5
Note: The NETGEAR LB1121 does not support 2G.
Mobile Broadband Internet Connection: By default, when the NETGEAR LB1121 powers up with a SIM card installed, it automatically searches for and connects to your network provider's mobile broadband network (except when roaming). This process might take several minutes. The SIM card that is installed determines the mobile broadband network to which the modem connects. Even though the modem might connect to the mobile broadband network of the same service provider each time that you start the modem, the type of mobile broadband service (LTE, 4G, or 3G) to which the modem connects might differ.
Note: If the modem does not automatically connect to the mobile broadband network after 10 minutes, you might need to contact your mobile service provider to get the access point name (APN) profile information and add/activate a custom APN profile in the modem.
Operation Modes: The NETGEAR LB1121 can operate in Router or Bridge mode (by default, Router mode is enabled on the modem). The 4G LTE Modem can be connected directly to your router, Ethernet switch or hub, as well as your computer.
- Router Mode: In Router mode, you can connect the modem to an Ethernet switch or hub, you can connect multiple Ethernet devices such as printers, credit card terminals, and computers to the modem (each device can receive an IP address from the modem). In Router mode, Network Address Translation (NAT) is enabled, the built-in Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server is enabled to assign a LAN IP address to each connected device, and IP pass-through (IPPT) is disabled.
- Bridge Mode: If you want to connect a router or WiFi router to the modem and share its mobile service internet connection with all your WiFi and wired network devices, change the operation mode of the modem to Bridge mode, in which IP pass-through (IPPT) is enabled and only a single device can be connected to the Internet through the modem. The single device that is connected to the modem is the router or WiFi router, but depending on the capabilities of the router or WiFi router, you can connect multiple devices to the router or WiFi router.
- If you want to connect a computer only to the NETGEAR LB1121, the modem can function either in Router mode or in Bridge mode.
- The modem is preconfigured to function as a DHCP server when Router mode is enabled. The modem’s default DHCP IP address range is 192.168.5.20-192.168.5.99.
Gigabit Ethernet Port: The NETGEAR LB1121 is outfitted with a single RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet port to connect a router, WiFi router, Ethernet switch or hub, or single computer. If you connect a WiFi router to the modem's Gigabit Ethernet port, the mobile network connection can provide high-speed Internet access for multiple users and devices in homes and offices. Alternatively, you can connect the modem to an existing DSL, cable, or fiber optics gateway that supplies two WAN ports so that the modem can provide a backup Internet connection for your home or office to achieve continuous connectivity.
Web Page Management: You can use the 4G LTE Modem's web page to monitor data usage and change basic settings. The modem's web page run on any device with a web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. In the address field of your browser, enter http://192.168.5.1 to access the web dashboard.
Monthly Data Usage: You can view an estimate of your data usage since the start of the billing cycle as well as the data usage and time that passed since the modem connected to the mobile broadband network in the current session. The plan data counter resets automatically when the next billing cycle starts, and the session data counter resets automatically for each session. You can also change the billing start date for display only or manually reset the data counter.
- Data Provider: You can view the service provider, the type of network, and the signal strength of the mobile broadband network at your location. If the modem is not connected to the network, you can view some of this information for the most recent connection.
- Data Counter: You can even set a plan limit for the modem's data counter. A plan limit enables the modem to generate SMS alert messages to warn you about your data usage. The amount of data that you enter is for tracking only and does not affect the actual data that is billed by your mobile broadband provider.
- Data Cycle: You can change the start date of the billing cycle counter to a day other than the first day of the month and you can reset the data counter. The start date of the billing cycle counter is for display only and changing it does not change the actual billing cycle of your mobile broadband provider.
Port Forwarding: Port forwarding is an advanced feature that affects the behavior of the firewall in the modem. By enabling port forwarding, you can make local computers or servers available to the Internet for different services. Port forwarding is designed for FTP servers, HTTP web servers, and other server-based applications and services. After you set up port forwarding, requests from the Internet are forwarded to the specified server.
Note: By default, the NETGEAR LB1121 blocks inbound traffic from the Internet to your computers except for replies to your outbound traffic.
Power Requirements: The NETGEAR LB1121 includes an external AC power adapter that plugs into the back of the 4G LTE Modem and a AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The included external AC power adapter features an attached 6' DC cord. It also supports Power Over Ethernet (PoE). Power-over-Ethernet is ideal for remote locations, without the need to plug in a power adapter.
LED Indicators: The 4G LTE Modem features seven LEDs on the top-panel to indicate Power, Signal Strength, and LAN Connection.
- Power: The Power LED glows green when the modem is receiving power and is connected to the mobile broadband network and the Internet. It glows amber when the modem is powered on, but not connected to the internet. It blinks an amber color when not SIM card is installed. The Power LED is off when the modem is not receiving power.
- Signal Strength: The five LED bars indicate the signal strength of your mobile broadband service. Five green bars indicate the strongest signal. One green bar (that is, the shortest bar) indicates the weakest signal.
- LAN: The LAN LED is green when the modem's Gigabit Ethernet port is connected to a powered-on LAN device. This LED is off when there is not connected LAN device.
Mounting Options: The NETGEAR LB1121 can simply be placed on a stable flat surface. Or, it can be wall-mounted using its integrated keyhole slots (mounting screws not included). Use the modem's Signal Strength LED bars on the top-panel to position the modem for best signal strength in relation to your mobile broadband network. For best results, place your modem according to the following guidelines -
- Place the modem close to a window but avoiding direct sunlight. A window location gives the best conditions for receiving a strong 4G LTE signal.
- Make sure that the modem is within reach of an AC power outlet and near Ethernet cables for wired computers.
- Place the modem away from electrical devices, such as the following - microwaves, home security systems, cordless home phones, and ceiling fans.
- Place the modem away from large metal surfaces, large glass surfaces, insulated walls, and items such as the following - solid metal doors, aluminum studs, fish tanks, mirrors, and brick or concrete walls.
Optional External Antenna: You can purchase an external multiple input, multiple output (MIMO) antenna for the modem to extend the mobile broadband signal range indoors or in fringe network areas. The external antenna plugs into the two antenna connectors on the modem to boost speeds and extend coverage in buildings or vehicles, or in remote sites where network coverage is sparse.
Firmware Upgrades: The NETGEAR LB1121 automatically checks for new firmware once a week. Firmware updates generally comprise enhancements and fixes to the functionality of the modem and modem's web pages. If the modem detects new firmware, the modem's web page displays an alert and options to download the update the firmware. You can also manually check to see if new firmware is available and update the modem to the new firmware.
4G LTE Modem: The NETGEAR LTE Modem (LB1121) with Power over Ethernet (PoE) is a simple LTE connectivity solution for all your devices and equipment. Using the NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem (LB1121) for broadband connectivity enables Internet access at fast speeds with the convenience of portability and flexibility. Simply connect this LTE Modem directly to your router, switch or computer to provide an automatic 4G LTE or 3G fallback broadband connection, with download speeds of up to 150 Mbps. The NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem (LB1121) can be easily installed in a matter of minutes, and it's ideal for a wide range of environments including locations where wireline option is not readily available, and where PoE infrastructure is available. Designed for simple connectivity, the LTE modem is compact, convenient, and easy to setup.
Note: You will need to obtain an activated micro SIM (3FF format) card from your mobile broadband service provider. If you use a nano SIM (4FF format) card, you must use an adapter.
By default, when the modem powers up with a SIM card installed, it automatically searches for and connects to your mobile service provider’s mobile broadband network. This process might take several minutes. The SIM card that is installed determines the mobile broadband network to which the modem connects
However, if the modem does not automatically connect to the mobile broadband network, the Power LED remains solid amber, and you must contact your mobile service provider to get the access point name (APN) profile information and add and activate a custom APN profile in the modem (
Super-Fast Speed: The NETGEAR LTE Modem (LB1121) gives you secure and super-fast 4G LTE connectivity with 3G/2G fallback for broadband failover. Get up to 150 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload speeds.
Gigabit Ethernet WAN Port: The NETGEAR LTE Modem (LB1121) has a Gigabit Ethernet WAN port (RJ-45) so you can plug in your wireless router and share connection with all your WiFi and wired devices.
Power Requirements: The NETGEAR LTE Modem (LB1121) includes an AC power adapter, but also
System Requirements: The NETGEAR LTE Modem (LB1121) will need the following system requirements to work in your home, office, business, or on vacation.
- Mobile Services: Compatible 2G/3G/4G LTE Mobile Service (a 3FF Micro-SIM is required from your mobile provider)
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Vista, XP; Mac OS (10.6.8. and newer); and other operating systems running a TCP/IP network (for accessing Web Management User Interface)
- Web Browsers: Compatible browsers such as Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher (for accessing Web Management User Interface)
Optonional Antennas: There are two connectors available on the NETGEAR LTE Modem (LB1121) to connect optional 4G/3G antennas (sold separately) for better signal reception.