About the Meural Canvas II (27") — Powered by NETGEAR
A new way to enjoy art
A new way to enjoy art
I'm lucky enough to have the previous version of this cool digital art frame at home, and I've been known to go on and on about how much I love it. See, before I had a Meural Canvas, I'd spend countless hours trying to pick just the right print to order from my favorite artist, or even which vacation photo I wanted to enlarge and frame. Because art used to be a long-term commitment. Meural changed that with Canvas — a lifelike digital display for your favorite works of art. This updated Canvas II offers two sizes and more frame color options. It's also easier to set up and even more energy efficient that its predecessor.
Easy and fun to customize
With the free Meural app you can switch up what's displayed on your Canvas on a whim. You can also create playlists that include your favorite classical pieces interspersed with photos from your latest vacation. And you can display each image for any length of time you want.
Meural's proprietary technology aims to bring to life every brushstroke and detail so that you might not even know it's digital until the picture changes. The Canvas II has a 27" anti-glare HD display, as well as sensors — improved from the previous version — that measure the brightness in the room and automatically adjust the screen to compensate. And you can hang it vertically or horizontally — it will adjust accordingly. It can even support images with motion elements.
The frame is handcrafted from premium wood, and it comes in four colors. It is also available in a smaller size.
Control it with a wave of your hand
When I first started using the Canvas, I'll admit that the gesture controls took a little getting used to. But it's really easy once you get the hang of it. I frequently cross the room to swipe up and read each piece's “art card” detailing the history of the work and the artist. I've probably already learned half a semester's worth of art history. Gesturing left and right near the bottom of the frame lets me scroll through the playlist.
Or use your voice
Want to go hands-free? Use your Alexa-enabled device to turn the Canvas on or off, scroll forward and back in the playlist, or set the brightness using only your voice.
Making art more accessible
Your Canvas includes access to a curated collection of 100 images from Meural's art library, 42 of which are already pre-loaded. You can also upload your own great works for display. But if you want more options, you can subscribe to an optional annual membership which provides access to tens of thousands of works from around the world.
After spending some time with a trial subscription, I can already say that I will definitely pay to renew my membership when the time comes. You can search by artist or movement, subscribe to channels, check out playlists based on color or theme, and get recommendations based on what you already like. Surfing the Meural app has already led me to discover several artists whose work I really love but had somehow never seen before.
The Meural Canvas II comes with a hanging cleat that allows you to mount it horizontally or vertically. But if you want to change it up regularly, I recommend picking up the swivel mount. That's how I have mine mounted. Install it once, and you can easily rotate the attached Canvas whenever you get the urge to go from a portrait to a landscape.
The 8-foot power cord on Meural Canvas II is fairly unobtrusive, but hiding it definitely makes for a cleaner look. The cord is rated for in-wall use, but if you don't want to cut holes in your wall, you can easily disguise it with a paintable cable cover like I did to keep your home gallery looking super-streamlined.
- digital art frame renders lifelike images on 27" LCD display
- 1920 x 1080 full HD resolution
- matte anti-glare screen deflects light without distorting color
- brightness: 300 nits
- AHVA (Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle) panel technology
- handcrafted frame made of premium wood
- hang vertically or horizontally on included bracket — the Canvas II automatically detects its orientation and adjusts accordingly
- optional Swivel Mount makes it easy to rotate Canvas between portrait and landscape
- Canvas II can be controlled with gestures
- wave up to see an "art card" for each image detailing the history of the work and artist
- wave right or left to scroll through the playlist
- gesture control can be turned off
- Meural app allows you to browse, curate, and set up your Canvas II
- search by museum, movement, artist, and more
- upload your own images
- manage playlists, uploads, and settings from anywhere
- includes 100 free images from Meural's art library
- 42 works of art are pre-loaded on Canvas II
- access entire collection with optional Meural Annual Membership
- compatible with Amazon Echo
- use voice control to turn on/off, show next/previous image, and set brightness
- ambient light sensor measures room's brightness and automatically adjusts Canvas to match it
- puts Canvas II to sleep when room gets dark
- includes AC power adapter and 8-foot power cord
- side door offers easy access to factory reset button, SD card slot, and micro USB and Ethernet ports
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 for fast, reliable network connection
- 1.8 GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A17 processor
- 8GB built-in storage
- 2GB DDR3 RAM
- 29"W x 18-5/8"H x 1-7/8"D
- weight: 19.74 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MC327HW-100PAS
What's in the box:
- Smart art frame
- AC power adapter (attached 8' DC cord)
- Wall-bracket (w/ level)
- Rubber pad
- 2 Screws
- 2 Anchors
- Cleaning cloth
- "Download the app" card
- Support Information
Meural Canvas II (27") — Powered by NETGEAR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Meural Canvas II (27") — Powered by NETGEAR
The Meural Canvas II: The Meural Canvas II powered by Netgear is a digital smart art frame that combines modern design, state-of-the-art technology, and a passion for the arts. It features a 27" AHVA LCD-panel display with a 16:9 aspect ratio and resolution of 1920 x 1080 for a high-defintion viewing experience.
- TrueArt Technology: The Meural Canvas II powered by Netgear utilizes a proprietary blend of hardware, firmware, and sofwawre to render images that are lifelike and textured. The Meural Canvas II can produce 16.7 million colors from true blacks and whites to rich colorful hues.
- Anti-Glare Matte Screen: The smart art frame features an anti-glare matte screen that organically deflects light without distorting the hue or image quality.
- Ambient Light Sensor: The ambient light sensor measures the light in the room and adjusts the Canvas screen's brightness level accordingly. The ambient light sensor feature can be set to Low, Normal, or High. can be adjusted within the Merual App (for Apple iOS and Android). The Meural Canvas II will even go to sleep when the room goes totally dark.
Note: The Meural Canvas II is available with a black, white, dark wood, or light wood frame.
Quad-Core Processor w/ Built-in Storage: The Meural Canvas II powered by Netgear features a 1.8GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A17 processor with 2GB DDR3 RAM and 8GB of storage.
WiFi Certified: The Meural Canvas II features built-in dual-band (2.4/5GHZ) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and will wireless connect to your home's WiFi network. Setup is done through the Meural App on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. The digital smart art frame also supports WPS (Wireless Protect Setup) for push-button setup.
Note: The digital smart art frame does not offer a hardwired Ethernet jack connection.
My.Meural Account: After you have connect the Meural Canvas II to your WiFi network, you will need to setup a my.meural account before using the Canvas digital smart art frame. This can be done from the the Meural app on you compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device, or from my.meural.com. You'll use the my.meural website to browse and curate art, as well as change Canvas settings - includng Sechduler and Playlists.
Artwork & Images: With the Meural Membership, you get unlimited access to a $3 billion art library of past, present, and future artwork. If you're not interested in the Meural Membership, you'll have access to sample images (a small collection of popular artworks). In addition, you have the ability to upload your own images to the Meural Canvas II digital smart art frame. You can even mix and match the Meural artwork with your own images to create a custom playlist.
- The Meural Membership: The Meural Membership cost $49.95 a year or $5.95 a month (one subscription is good for up to two Meural Canvas II digital smart art frames). You get access to 30,000+ works of art and photography from the world’s museums and galleries. Enjoy works from iconic artists and discover new ones. Meural's art library is easy to browse by color, museum, subject, style, artist, and more. Each artwork image has an "art card", detailing the history of the work and artist. You can even purchase individual digital artwork so you'll have it forever even if you decide to cancel your membership (Meural Members will receive discounts on purchased digital artwork).
- You can cancel your Membership at any time, whether it be Annual or Monthly. You'll still have all of the benefits until the end of your billing cycle. Any artwork, images, and playlists containing Membership-only work (that were not purchased) will be removed from the Canvas as well as your account.
- While a large part of the Meural Membership library stays consistent, works can be removed at anytime to make room for others.
- Sample Images: The Meural Canvas II comes with 42 pre-loaded images and access to 100 sampler images from Meural's art library, ranging from classic to modern art. Some of the images are preloaded, though additional sampler playlists can be downloaded. See the images included here.
- Upload Your Own Images: You can even upload your own images on the Meural Canvas II. You can do this one of two ways. Go to my.meural.co or use the Meural app (for Apple iOS or Android) to upload the images you want to your account. You'll then be able to crop and optimize them to look best on the smart art frame. Before sending your images to the Canvas, you'll first need to add them to a playlist. You can upload single images or an entire batch at once.
- Display Your Own Images: You can also display your own images directly to the Meural Canvas II by inserting a SD card into the SD card slot on the bottom of the smart art frame. The SD card slot does not support uploading, cropping, or editing.
- The Meural Canvas II is compatible with SD/SDHC memory cards with up to 64GB of capacity. A class 10 SD/SHC memory card is recommended.
- Supported still images and videos include JPG, JPEG, PNG, BMP, SVG, GIF, MP4, and MOV (while mp4 and .mov are suppored, smaller size formats such as gif tend to run better on the Canvas.) You can display content that is up to 20MB per image/gif and up to 200MB per video with a resolution up to 1920 x 1080.
- SD/SDHC memory cards should be formatted in FAT32, exfat, or ext4.
- Only 4 playlists can be used on a single SD memory card.
Intuitive Control: The Meural Canvas II digital smart frame provides intuitive operation through built-in gesture control, an available mobile app (for Apple iOS and Android) and voice commands through an Amazon Alexa device (sold separately). The power button, light sensors, and gesture control sensors are all expertly placed to avoid distraction.
- Gesture Control: The Meural Canvas II offers built-in gesture control for simple operation of the digital smart art frame. Simply wave your hand left or right to change between artwork and images, wave your hand downward to access and choose a new playlist, and wave your hand upward to see details about a piece of artwork. For optimal gesture control, steadily wave your hand approximately 4" across the sensor area, at about an 1" away from the frame. This will ensure the frame's sensor registers hand waves with greater accuracy and precision. Additionally, gesture recognition is locked for 0.5 seconds after each gesture to prevent error waves, so fast waving will not work.
- Meural App: With the Meural app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 4.1+), you can discover art and control your Canvas on the go from the palm of your hand on a compatible Apple iOS or Android device. With the Meural app, you can control the digital smart art frame, customize settings, and discover art from the palm of your hand using your compatible smartphone or tablet device. You can even upload images from your device to your Meural account and preview them right in the app.
- Amazon Alexa Compatible: With an Amazon Echo device (sold separately), you can discover art by simply using your voice. You'll need to enable the "Meural" skill in the Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You can connect multiple Canvas digital art frames to multiple Alexa devices (make sure to give each digital art frame a "custom name"). Once the skill isenabled, you'll be able to do the following (with more to come) -
- "Alexa, next on Meural" and "Alexa, previous on Meural":This will go to the next and previous artwork within a given playlist.
- "Alexa, turn on Meural" and "Alexa turn off Meural": This will turn the Canvas on or off.
- "Alexa, set Meural to 50 percent": This will set the Canvas' brightness. For the percent, you can say any number from 0 to 100.
- "Alex, [custom name]": You'll also notice that you can call the Canvas "Meural", its alias (i.e. Picasso-432), or the name you've chosen for it in the Alexa app. Make sure to use a simple name that the Alexa device will easily understand.
Note: Amazon Alexa is not built into the Meural Canvas II. You'll need an external Amazon Echo device (sold separately) for voice control. Click here for the Amazon Alexa "Meural Canvas II" skills webpage.
Favoriting: Favoriting is a feature that allows you to select images, playlists, artists, and channels that you want to return to later on the Meural Canvas II digital smart art frame.
The Meural Scheduler: You can plan what the Meural Canvas II displays every hour. You can choose between images and playlists, as well as have the Canvas wake up and go to sleep when you do.
Mounting Options: The Meural Canvas II smart art frame can be hung horizontally (landscape mode) or vertically (portrait mode), and it will automatically detect its orientation to make sure your digital artwork is displayed correctly. Hardware is included to mount the digital smart art frame on your wall. You may also use the optional Swivel Mount (sold separately) to hange the Meural Canvas II on your wall. The optional swivel mount bracket allows you to effortlessly rotate the digital smart art frame horizontally or vertically.
- Horizontal (Landscape) Dimensions: 29.0" (w) x 18.625" (h) x 1.875" (d); 15.49 lbs
- Vertical (Portrait) Dimensions: 18.625" (w) x 29.0" (h) x 1.875" (d); 15.49 lbs
AC Power Adapter: The Meural Canvas II is powered by the included AC power adaptor that plugs into an AC power wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The Canvas uses approximately 20 watts of power (less than a common light bulb). Check out the Accessories Tab for surge protectors, AC power outlets, power outlet relocation systems, and wire-management solutions. The AC power adapter measures 3.0625" (w) x 1.4375" (h) x 2.125" (d), and the power cord is 8' long.
Note: The Meural Canvas II is not battery powered.