About the NETGEAR Orbi AC3000 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK50)
Fill your whole house with strong, fast, secure Wi-Fi®
Put the Orbi satellite booster in the living room for glitch-free movie streaming.
Fill your whole house with strong, fast, secure Wi-Fi®
You might have to keep your wireless router on one end of a large house, which could mean spotty Wi-Fi coverage in some far-away areas. The Orbi system by NETGEAR solves that problem by offering a fast, powerful router that plugs in wherever your modem is located, plus an additional satellite that repeats and boosts the original signal. Used together, the modules can cover up to 5,000 square feet with strong, fast Wi-Fi. And the router and satellite use a single Wi-Fi name (SSID) so you experience seamless connectivity as you roam throughout the house.
If the router is in a corner of the house, put the satellite in a central location and you'll be watching, listening, and browsing at high speed in every room. And if you ever build onto the house and need more coverage? Just add another satellite (available separately).
No need to pore over old-fashioned paper instruction booklets. Just plug the Orbi router into your existing high-speed modem and use the free NETGEAR Orbi app — available for Apple® and Android™ devices — to set up the network. You'll be enjoying speedy streaming and internet access in minutes.
And it's nice to look at
Routers and modems can be so boxy, right? NETGEAR designed the Orbi modules with stylish looks that help them blend into your home's decor. The router and satellite match, each sporting a sleek, rounded, upright design that's not intrusive or clunky. It's state of the art inside and out.
- Orbi router with satellite booster covers up to 5,000 square feet with strong, fast Wi-Fi®
- preconfigured for fast, easy setup with your existing network
- router and satellite use a single Wi-Fi name (SSID) for seamless operation with all your devices, anywhere in your home
- 6 amplified, high-performance internal antennas
- Ethernet ports for wired connections (10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit)
- router has 1 WAN port for your modem and 3 LAN ports for your downstream devices
- satellite has 4 LAN ports for your downstream devices
- one USB 2.0 port on each module
- compatible with Amazon Echo (Alexa)
- free NETGEAR Orbi app available for Apple® and Android™ devices
- AC3000 Wi-Fi (400 + 866 + 1733 Mbps)
- up to 400 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 1733 Mbps on first 802.11ac band
- up to 866 Mbps on second 802.11ac band
- powerful quad-core 710MHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- 4GB flash memory and 512MB RAM for improved throughput
- beamforming boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- 78" Ethernet cable included
- 6-11/16"W x 8-15/16"H x 3-1/8"D
- weight: 1.96 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RBK50-100NAS
What's in the box:
- Orbi router (RBR50)
- Orbi satellite (RBS50)
- 2 AC power adapters (attached 6' DC cords)
- 6.5' Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
NETGEAR Orbi AC3000 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK50) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR Orbi AC3000 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK50)
Orbi High Performance WiFi System: The Orbi high-performance AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System creates dedicated high-speed WiFi connections to your Internet service. The Orbi system includes a router and a satellite. The router connects to your modem or gateway. The satellite extends the WiFi signal throughout your home.
Whole-Home Coverage: One Orbi system (router and one satellite) can cover up to 5,000 square feet, which meets the needs of the large majority of US homes. In addition, NETGEAR offers add-on satellites (sold separately) to blanket even larger areas with tri-band WiFi that uses one network name and password.
Note: An Orbi mesh WiFi system can support up to one Orbi router and three Orbi satellites for a maximum coverage area of 9,000 square feet.
ISP Compatibility: Unlike some WiFi systems, Orbi works with your existing gateway or modem and Internet service provider right out of the box. You won't need to change your current equipment to use the Orbi WiFi Home System. Orbi uses a single WiFi name (SSID) and with just a couple of clicks, your secure WiFi network will be ready in no time.
- If your gateway or modem has router functionality, when you set up the Orbi network, choose AP mode and turn off your existing gateway or modem's WiFi to improve performance.
- If your gateway or modem does not have router functionality, when you set up the Orbi network, select router mode and turn off your existing gateway or modem's WiFi to improve performance.
Note: After your existing WiFi is disabled, you can use that WiFi network name for your Orbi network.
One Network Name: Orbi provides a single WiFi network for your entire house. With Orbi, you have one network name and password, and you don't need to change networks as you move around your home. In contrast, extenders work by repeating the WiFi signal of your router to other parts of your house. As a result, with an extender, you have two different WiFi networks to connect to - one for your router and another for your range extender. That means you need to reconnect based on where you are in your home. Orbi creates a single high speed network that gives your entire home complete coverage. Orbi dynamically optimizes your connections for you without having to reconnect.
710MHz Quad-Core Processor: A powerful quad-core 710MHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity, while a 4GB flash memory and 512MB RAM offers improved throughput.
Tri-Band WiFi: Orbi uses tri-band WiFi to keep your Internet running at maximum speeds, no matter how many devices connect. The tri-band WiFi that powers Orbi includes a dedicated 1.7Gbps 5GHz band solely for extending Internet speeds to Orbi satellites. This enables the other two WiFi bands to be dedicated to all connected devices across an entire home. Tri-band WiFi ensures that your Orbi WiFi System provides both reliable WiFi coverage and maximum Internet speed throughout your home.
- up to 400 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 1733 Mbps on first 802.11ac band
- up to 867 Mbps on second 802.11ac band
- 3Gbps combined WiFi speed
Note: In contrast, range extenders do not offer tri-band WiFi. Extenders increase the range of your router by receiving and retransmitting your data using the same radio and channel, essentially transmitting your data twice. Retransmission can reduce by half the data available to you in the far corners of a large home. While extenders are a simple and cost-effective way to boost router signals, the lower data rate and second network are less effective for large homes with high-data users.
802.11ac: NETGEAR's Orbi features a WiFi 802.11ac chipset for fast download speeds. It is also backward compatible with 802.11 b/g/n devices. Next generation 802.11ac WiFi (2.4GHz/5GHz) avoids wireless interference and provides whole home coverage ensuring top WiFi speeds and reliable connections.
Amplified Antennas: High-performance antennas with high-powered amplifiers provide extremely reliable WiFi connectivity throughout larger homes for all your Internet-enabled devices.
Advanced WiFi Technologies: With features like MU-MIMO, WMM QoS, & Beamforming, you get enhanced speed and increased reliability so you can roam freely throughout your home without fear of slow or dropped connections.
- Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO): Using Multi-User MIMO technology, the NETGEAR router can stream data to multiple devices simultaneously. With MU-MIMO, your WiFi network can deliver faster throughput to every MU-MIMO connected device. That means faster downloads and smoother streaming for your devices.
- WMM QoS: WMM QoS prioritizes WiFi data packets from different applications based on four access categories - voice, video, best effort, and background.
- Beamforming: Beamforming boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz band. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
UPnP: Universal Plug N Play (UPnP) helps devices, such as Internet appliances and computers, access the network and connect to other devices as needed. UPnP devices can automatically discover the services from other registered UPnP devices on the network
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The NETGEAR Orbi router is fitted with four 10/100/1000 (1 WAN & 3 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices. The Orbi satellite is also fitted with 4 Ethernet LAN ports to connect home networking equipment, such as a NAS storage system, TV, gaming console, etc..
Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
Placement: The Orbi router should be positioned near your modem, while the Orbi satellite should be placed in the middle of your home. If you are using more than one Orbi satellite, place the Orbi router in the middle of your home with the satellites placed in separate locations.
USB-A 2.0 Port (Future Use): The Orbi router & satellite each feature a USB-A 2.0 port for future use (no ETA), so you can wirelessly access and share USB hard drives.
Firmware Updates: Click here for the latest firmware updates.
NETGEAR Orbi App: Use the NETGEAR Orbi app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android 4.2+), now with a new dashboard, to install & personalize the Orbi Home WiFi System. The NETGEAR Orbi app makes it easy to set up and personalize your Orbi WiFi System. With the app, you can install the Orbi mesh network system in just a few steps; simply connect your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to the router network and the app will walk you through the rest. Once set up, you can use the intuitive dashboard to pause Internet on your connected devices, run a quick Internet speed test, setup Smart Parental Controls and much more.
- Parental Controls & Internet Filter: Parents can filter online content and limit time online as well as set an Internet bedtime for every connected device in the home. Easily pause the Internet and check what kids are up to online.
- Remote Management: The Orbi app lets you easily monitor and control your home WiFi from anywhere. You can even setup Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice commands for your network using the new remote management feature.
Voice Control: Control your Orbi mesh WiFi network with voice commands using Amazon Alexa & the Google Assistant (devices sold separately). When you enable the Orbi to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa or Google to send your network credentials to your smartphone or tablet, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. In addition, you can ask Alexa or Google to enable/disable the guest network and reboot the router.
- Before you enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa or Google, you must download the NETGEAR Orbi app, create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- There are two ways to enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa or Google. You can use the command "Alexa, enable the NETGEAR skill," or "Ok Google, talk to NETGEAR," or you can manually link the NETGEAR skill to your Alexa or Google Home app.
NETGEAR Armor: NETGEAR Armor is an advanced cyber threat protection for your home network and all your connected devices (including computers, smartphones, and tablets). Download the NETGEAR Orbi App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android 4.2+) to activate NETGEAR Armor and receive real-time security updates. At the end of the free trial period, a $69.99 per year subscription covers all your connected devices. NETGEAR Armor empowers you to eliminate vulnerabilities or simply know the status of your home network and devices, anytime, anywhere. Get instant notifications when malicious threats are detected, block unknown devices from joining your home network or take action on vulnerabilities as they are discovered easily through the NETGEAR Orbi App.
- Online Security: A critical layer of online security, NETGEAR Armor actively safeguards you from cyber threats, such as ransomware, malware, botnets and more, by actively blocking known malicious sites and applications. Instant notifications warn you whenever you or someone in your family visit websites that may try to scam, infect or steal your personal information
- Vulnerability Checks: Hackers are constantly finding new ways to target devices, such as thermostats, lights, appliances, outlets and cameras that can lead to unauthorized access, data theft, or malicious attacks. NETGEAR Armor regularly scans all Internet connected devices to keep you safer from potential security vulnerabilities. Armor also checks for open ports, password strength, firmware versions, and other potential security weaknesses. Scanning is fast and with minimal impact on your system performance, since it occurs in the cloud to maximize power and efficiency.
- Device Protections: Advanced cyber-security on your WiFi router is good. Added security on your router, plus all your smartphones, tablets, and computers is even better. NETGEAR Armor comes with award winning Bitdefender cyber-security for all your Windows and macOS computers, as well as Android and Apple iOS devices. Take this extra security wherever you go, whether it be to your local cafe or on the road and knowing you have an extra layer of protection against cyber threats. To download BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY 2019, go to armor-install.com on the device you want to install local protection on.
Circle With Disney App: The Circle with Disney App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.2+) is a smart way for families to manage content and time online, on any connected device. Filtering content and balancing online usage has never been easier. From devices on your home network, both wireless and wired, to connected devices, the Circle with Disney App has you covered. Customizing the Circle with Disney App for your unique family is quick and easy. The Circle with Disney app offers a free Basic subscription or a paid Premium subscription.
- Basic (Free): Offers Filters, Pause, History, Ad Block, Safe Search for every member of the family.
- Premium ($4.99/month or $49.99/year): Offers Filters, Pause, History, Ad Block, Safe Search, Time Limits, Bedtime, Off Time, Usage, and Rewards for every member of the family.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked