About the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6S
Super-fast tri-band Wi-Fi®
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S offers three wireless bands and up to 4 Gbps of Wi-Fi throughput.
Super-fast tri-band Wi-Fi®
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S is tri-band router, which means it's designed to provide fast, powerful Wi-Fi to a large property with little or no lagging or glitches.
How does it manage such a Herculean task? With one 2.4GHz band and two 5GHz Wi-Fi bands flowing through six powerful antennas. It can attain incredibly fast transmission speeds up to 4 Gbps, thanks in part to a 1.8GHz dual-core processor. It will have all of your devices connected simultaneously, and data moving at warp speed.
And it doesn't just work hard — it works smart, too. The Nighthawk X6S will assign each device to the Wi-Fi band where it can connect at its maximum possible speed. That means more powerful devices get in the fast lane, so all of your connected devices load and stream at top speed.
Put your USB drive to work
If you plug your USB hard drive into your Nighthawk Wi-Fi router, you'll open up the door to NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD® USB Access. That means wherever you are, you'll be able to access your connected USB storage device, so you can keep large files like photos and videos at home, then see and share them when you're out and about without taking up precious space on your mobile device. The router can also perform regularly scheduled backups to the connected drive, so your important data stays current and safe.
NETGEAR's Wi-Fi Protected Access® offers tough WPA/WPA2 encryption that denies outsiders access to your wireless signal. This router also offers double firewall protection and a stiff defense against denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. If you have young ones in the house, use the router's parental controls to filter out content you don't want them to see. If you're one of the growing number of people who occasionally works from home, the Nighthawk offers a strong, secure VPN connection as well.
Easy to install and use
NETGEAR routers are designed for easy installation. Once you've plugged in a few cables, use the single-button Push ‘N' Connect function to configure your system quickly. The NETGEAR Nighthawk® app can help you set up, monitor, and troubleshoot your network from a convenient personal dashboard. The router even responds to voice commands via Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- 802.11ac tri-band Gigabit wireless router
- simultaneous triple-band operation (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz x 2) delivers more Wi-Fi for more devices
- 6 high-performance antennas and 3 offload processors provide excellent wireless coverage for large properties
- AC3200 Wi-Fi (750 + 1625 + 1625 Mbps)
- up to 750 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 1625 Mbps on first 802.11ac band
- up to 1625 Mbps on second 802.11ac band
- powerful 1.8 GHz 64-bit dual-core processor
- voice control via Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- single-button Push 'N' Connect function
- MU-MIMO connects more Wi-Fi devices at once for faster performance
- DLNA compliant for easy content sharing
- NETGEAR Nighthawk® app helps you set up, monitor, and troubleshoot your home network
- 128 MB flash and 512 MB RAM internal memory
- Smart Connect intelligently selects the fastest Wi-Fi band for each device
- bandwidth can be prioritized for online gaming, streaming videos, or high-res music
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- Airtime fairness prevents network lag when slower devices connect
- ReadyCLOUD® USB Access allows secure remote access to USB storage
- five 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet ports (4 LAN and 1 WAN) with auto-sensing technology
- port aggregation lets you combine two Ethernet ports to improve file transfer speed
- one USB 3.0 port
- one USB 2.0 port
- Wi-Fi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2-PSK)
- double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
- VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters
- ReadySHARE® Vault backup for Windows® PC included
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 11-11/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 8-15/16"D
- weight: 2.43 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R8000P-100NAS
What's in the box:
NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6S owner's manual
- Tri-Band WiFi router
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 58" Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Firmware Update note
- NETGEAR Connected brochure
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X6S
Features & specs
|Wireless Range||Not given|
|Wi-Fi Standard||Wi-Fi 5|
|Wi-Fi bands/total speed||Tri-Band 4.0 Gbps|
|2.4GHz band||750 Mbps|
|5.2GHz band||1625 Mbps|
|5.8GHz band||1625 Mbps|
|USB 2.0 ports||1|
|USB 3.0 ports||1|
Nighthawk X6S AC4000 (R8000P) Router: The Nighthawk X6S AC4000 (R8000P) Router, with Tri-band WiFi and multi-user MIMO (MU-MIMO) is ideal for simultaneous streaming to many WiFi devices in your home. The X6S offers the fastest combined WiFi speed up to 4Gbps, and is powered by a powerful 64-bit, dual core 1.8GHz processor with three offload processors. Enjoy blazing fast WiFi speed throughout your home with less lag and less buffering as you game, stream and surf. Access and control your router from anywhere using features such as the NETGEAR Nighthawk App, ReadyCLOUD and OpenVPN. You can even control your home network with voice commands using Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant (devices sold separately).
Variety of Applications: With NETGEAR's Nighthawk X6S AC400 (R800P) Tri-Band WiFi Router, you can create a powerful home network for applications such as lag-free multiple Ultra-HD streaming, multi-player online gaming, ultra-fast, reliable connection to the Internet and a secure wireless connection.
- Multiple Devices: Nighthawk X6S (R800P)'s Tri-Band WiFi provides more range and reliable connection for all your mobile devices.
- Surf/Chat/Email: Enjoy a reliable, secure wireless connection to the Internet for surfing the web, chatting, and email.
- Ultra-HD Video Streaming: Optimized for a smooth, lag-free Ultra-HD video streaming experience; even for multiple devices.
- Internet Radio Music: Enjoy a fast and reliable wireless connection for listening to music online.
- Online Gaming: Optimized for multi-player gaming with no lags.
1.8GHz Dual-Core Processor: With a 1.8GHz dual-core processor and three offload processors, the Nighthawk X6S (R800P) delivers faster WiFi speed, faster wired speed, faster USB access speed, and faster WAN-to-LAN speeds meaning faster overall network speeds than ever before.
Tri-Band WiFi w/ Smart Connect: Tri-Band WiFi with Smart Connect is the ultimate solution for today's home WiFi networks. With one 2.4GHz band and two 5GHz WiFi bands to work with, the X6S has the capacity, flexibility, and intelligence to assign each device to the WiFi band where it can connect at its maximum possible speed. The result is that faster devices can connect and perform unhindered by slower or older devices; meaning all devices load, stream, and game at their maximum speed. Fastest combined WiFi speed - up to 4.0Gbps (750+1625+1625 Mbps speeds).
- 750 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band (802.11n)
- 1625 Mbps on the 5 GHz band 1 (802.11ac)
- 1625 Mbps on the 5 GHz band 2 (802.11ac)
Advanced WiFi Technologies: With features like MU-MIMO, Beamforming+, Smart Connect, and external high performance antennas you get enhanced speed and increased reliability so you can roam freely throughout your home without fear of slow or dropped connections.
- Multi-User MIMO: Using Multi-User MIMO technology, NETGEAR routers can stream data to multiple devices simultaneously. With MU-MIMO, your WiFi network can deliver faster throughput to every MU-MIMO connected device. That means faster downloads and smoother streaming for your devices.
- Beamforming+: Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ the router & device communicate with each other, so the router can directly beam the WiFi signal to the device. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
- Smart Connect: Smart Connect intelligently selects the best WiFi band for each dual-band device to optimize connection speed and performance based on that device's speed and performance. The router automatically manages your WiFi connections, performing load balancing across the two 5 GHz radios. This additional WiFi bandwidth combined with the intelligence to segregate traffic based on WiFi speed and load balancing provides the best performance for multiple WiFi devices in the home.
- High-Performance Antennas: In addition, six external high-performance antennas help to provide better WiFi coverage & faster speeds.
Gigabit Ethernet w/ Port Aggregation: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S (R800P) Tri-Band WiFi Router is fitted with five 10/100/1000 (1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices. Port Aggregation lets you combine two Gigabit LAN Ethernet ports to improve the aggregated file transfer speed.
ReadySHARE: The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S (R800P) Tri-Band router allows you to share USB devices, DLNA media, and printers through ReadySHARE.
- Dual USB Ports w/ ReadySHARE: The USB 3.0/2.0 ports on the router can be used to connect USB storage devices such as flash drives or hard drives, or a printer. The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives (if your USB drive uses special drivers, it is not compatible). You can share data that is stored on most common USB storage devices across your WiFi network with ReadySHARE USB Storage Access. ReadySHARE lets you access and share a USB drive connected to the router's USB port. Do not connect computers, USB modems, CD drives, or DVD drives to the router's USB port.
- ReadyDLNA Media Server: By default, the extender functions as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you stream music and movies from an attached USB device to DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, Smart TVs, game consoles, and NETGEAR media players.
- ReadySHARE Printer: The ReadySHARE Printer utility lets you share a USB printer that is connected to the USB port on your extender. You can share this USB printer among the Windows and Mac computers on your network.
iTunes & AirPlay Compatible: The router's iTunes Server lets you play music with your Windows or Mac iTunes app from a USB device that is connected to the router USB port. You can also use the Apple Remote app from an iPhone or iPad to play music on any AirPlay devices, such as Apple TV or AirPlay-supported receivers. Supported music file formats are MP3, AAC, and FLAC. The maximum number of music files supported is 10,000
Cloud Storage: Access and share your files stored on a USB Drive through NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD USB Access. Simply plug your USB hard drive into the NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi Router to create secure personal cloud storage. Enjoy the convenience and accessibility of Google Drive and Dropbox without the fees, storage limitations, or privacy concerns. Using the ReadyCLOUD mobile app or web portal, you'll now have anytime, anywhere access to your USB drive at home.
Simple Setup: NETGEAR makes installation and management fast & simple, so you can connect quickly & make sure you stay that way. The router offers a built-in Setup Wizard for computer setup, an Apple & GooglePlay apps for Apple iOS & Android setup, plus a WPS push-button setup.
- Setup Wizard: You can use the router's built-in Setup Wizard for Windows & Mac to detect your Internet settings and automatically set up the router from your computer.
- Setup Mobile App: Easy setup from your Apple iOS or Android device, including smartphones and tablets.
- Push 'N' Connect: Easy push button WiFi connections (WPS).
- WiFi Power On/Off: Schedule your WiFi On/Off time for better power savings
NETGEAR Nighthawk App: The NETGEAR Nighthawk App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ & Android OS 4.2+) makes it easy to set up your router from your Apple iOS or Android device. With the app, you can install your router in few steps - just connect your mobile device to the router network and the app will walk you through the rest. Once set up, you can use the intuitive dashboard to pause Internet on your connected devices, run a quick Internet speed test, setup smart parental controls and much more.
Voice Control: Control your home network with voice commands using Amazon Alexa & the Google Assistant (devices sold separately). When you enable the NETGEAR router to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa or Google to send your network credentials to your smartphone or tablet, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. In addition, you can ask Alexa or Google to enable/disable the guest network and reboot the router.
- Before you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you must download the The Nighthawk App for (Apple iOS 9.0+ & Android OS 4.2+), create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- There are two ways to enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa. You can use the command "Alexa, enable the NETGEAR skill" or you can manually link the NETGEAR skill to your Alexa app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+).
- You can only have one digital voice assistant (Alexa or Google) activated.
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- VPN Support: VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Secure WiFi Connections: Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2/WPA2-PSK security with Double firewall protection (SPI/NAT firewall) and Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Personal FTP Server: With your customized free URL, you can use FTP to access your network when you aren't home through Dynamic DNS.
Auto Backup: Keep your content safe by using the included ReadySHARE Vault application for backing up Windows-based PCs. For Mac OS users, back-up using Apple Time Machine.
- ReadyShare Vault PC: Free ReadyShare Vault PC software it there for you to schedule automatic hassle-free backups to safeguard precious photos and files from any PC directly to the connected USB storage. ReadyShare Vault is free to download and use with the Nighthawk X6S (R800P).
- Time Machine: You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard disk drive that is connected to one of the router's USB ports.
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, or 2000; as well as Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher.
- Internet Connection: Broadband (cable, DSL) Internet service and modem with Ethernet connection.
LEDs: LEDs on the top-panel of the Nighthawk X6S AC4000 (R8000P) indicate router status.