About the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X10
Fast, powerful Wi-Fi for a house full of devices
Four active external antennas cover a large area with fast, powerful Wi-Fi
Fast, powerful Wi-Fi for a house full of devices
The wireless network in my house is getting busier and busier. There's video streaming, online video gaming, phones, tablets, and numerous other gadgets that access my Wi-Fi simultaneously. I need a router that can handle it all without hiccups — one like the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10.
It boasts a super-fast tri-band router, with one 2.4GHz band, one 5GHz Wi-Fi band, and a 60 GHz band. They also built in four innovative active antennas — with amplifiers atop each antenna where they can receive cleaner and stronger signals from your mobile devices. In addition, incredibly fast transmission speeds up to 7.2 Gbps — plus a 1.7GHz dual-core processor — will have all of your devices connected instantly, and data moving at warp speed.
Not only are there more wireless bands, but they also make smarter connections. The Nighthawk X10 will assign each device to the Wi-Fi band where it can connect at its maximum possible speed. That means more powerful devices get in the fast lane, so all of your connected devices load and stream at top speed.
Put your USB drive to work
If you plug your USB hard drive into your Nighthawk Wi-Fi router, you'll open the door to NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD® USB Access. That means wherever you are, you'll be able to access your connected USB storage device, so you can keep large files like photos and videos at home, then see and share them when you're out and about without taking up precious space on your mobile device. The router can also perform regularly scheduled backups to the connected drive, so your important data stays current and safe.
NETGEAR's Wi-Fi Protected Access® offers tough WPA/WPA2 encryption that denies outsiders access to your wireless signal. This router also offers double firewall protection and a stiff defense against denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. If you have young ones in the house, use the router's parental controls to filter out content you don't want them to see. If you're one of the growing number of people who occasionally works from home, the Nighthawk offers a strong, secure VPN connection as well.
Easy to install and use
NETGEAR routers are designed for easy installation. Once you've plugged in a few cables, use the single-button Push ‘N' Connect function to connect your Wi-Fi quickly. The NETGEAR genie® app lets you monitor, control and troubleshoot your network from a convenient personal dashboard.
- 802.11ad tri-band Gigabit wireless router
- simultaneous triple-band operation (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 60 GHz) delivers more Wi-Fi for more devices
- 4 powered antennas provide excellent wireless coverage for large properties
- internal 160MHz radios allow up to 866Mbps per stream
- AD7200 — up to 7200 Mbps of super-fast Wi-Fi
- powerful 1.7GHz quad-core processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- single-button Push 'N' Connect function
- NETGEAR genie® app helps you monitor, control, and troubleshoot your home network
- 8-13/16"W x 2-15/16"H x 6-5/8"D (without antennas)
- seven 10/100/1000 (6 LAN and 1 WAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- two fast USB 3.0 ports
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R9000-100NAS
What's in the box:
- Smart WiFi Router
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 58" Ethernet cable
- Quick Start
- Instruction booklet
- NETGEAR Up App note
- Firmware Update note
- "Home Sweet Connected Home" booklet
NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X10 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ X10
Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router (R9000): NETGEAR's Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi router is the industry's fastest router for media streaming with Plex media server. Nighthawk X10 with 802.11ac and 802.11ad WiFi technology delivers ultra-smooth 4K streaming, VR gaming and instant downloads. With a powerful 1.7GHz Quad-Core Processor and Quad-Stream architecture, you can enjoy combined wireless speeds of up to 7.2Gbps. MU-MIMO supports simultaneous streaming, while 160 MHz doubles WiFi speeds to mobile devices. Four patent pending external active antennas amplify WiFi signals to maximize range and throughput.
1.7GHZ Quad-Core Processor: With a powerful 1.7GHz Quad-Core Processor and Quad-Stream architecture, you can enjoy combined wireless speeds of up to 7.2Gbps for a lag-free WiFi experience if 4K video streaming and VR gaming.
Ultra High-Speed 802.11ac: The Nighthawk X10 with 802.11ac and 802.11ad WiFi technology delivers ultra-smooth 4K streaming, VR gaming and instant download. Using 802.11ac WiFi technology, file transfers can be up to 3x faster than typical 802.11ac. Since the 802.11ac technology offers higher data throughput and ultra-low latency, Nighthawk X10 with fastest WiFi speeds and the fastest CPU can transfer VR gaming data with very low latency using interference-free 60GHz band in addition to 802.11ac WiFi that you can use for all other devices
- Takes only 8 seconds to transfer a 3GB backup compared to 24 seconds using a typical 802.11ac router with max speeds of 1.3Gbps.
- Takes only 21 seconds to transfer a 8GB 4K movie file compared to 64 seconds using a typical 802.11ac router with max speeds of 1.3Gbps.
- Takes only 53 seconds to transfer a 20GB VR video compared to 120 seconds using a typical 802.11ac router with max speeds of 1.3Gbps.
Tri-Band WiFi w/ Smart Connect: Tri-band WiFi delivers 7.2 Gbps combined WiFi speeds through three dedicated WiFi bands (2.4GHz / 5 GHz / 60Ghz). Smart Connect intelligently selects the best WiFi band for each wireless network device to optimize connection speed and performance based on that device's speed and performance capabilities. This additional WiFi bandwidth combined with the intelligence to segregate traffic based on WiFi speed and load balancing provides the best performance for multiple WiFi devices in your home.
- Band 1: 800Mbps @ 2.4GHz - 256QAM
- Band 2: 1733Mbps @ 5GHz - 256QAM
- Band 3: 4600Mbps @ 60GHz - SC
Quad Stream + Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO): Quad Stream on all three WiFi bands gives you the fastest WiFi speeds combined with MU-MIMO capability allows you to simultaneously stream to multiple devices at the same time. Thanks to Quad Stream, up to four data streams per WiFi band maximizes connection speed. Using Multi-User MIMO technology, the NETGEAR router can stream data to multiple devices simultaneously. With MU-MIMO, your WiFi network can deliver faster throughput to every MU-MIMO connected device. That means faster downloads and smoother streaming for your devices.
Advanced WiFi Technologies: With features like Dynamic QoS, Beamforming+, and Load Balancing you get enhanced speed by up to 100% and increased reliability so you can roam freely throughout your home without fear of slow or dropped connections.
- Dynamic QoS: If you like gaming and streaming videos, then you'll benefit from Dynamic Quality of Service (QoS). Dynamic QoS resolves Internet traffic congestion when you have competing Internet demands at home. Dynamic QoS identifies your online activities by application and device, and then utilizes bandwidth allocation, and traffic prioritization techniques, to automatically allocate more bandwidth to latency sensitive applications like online gaming and video streaming, while ensuring that lower priority applications continue to work.
- Beamforming+: Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ the router & device communicate with each other, so the router can directly beam the WiFi signal to the device. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
- Load Balancing: The router uses load balancing to distribute WiFi connections among all three WiFi bands, to ensure that all the WiFi bands are utilized. Load balancing avoids overloading a single band and ensures that the WiFi bands are utilized and device connections are spread across the two bands.
Gigabit Ethernet Ports w/ Port Aggregation: Seven Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports (1 WAN & 6 LAN) allow you to connect even more wired devices. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices. Two of the six Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports can be aggregated to double the connection speed to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device for 4K HD streaming or fast backups of multiple WiFi devices simultaneously.
10G LAN SFP+ Port: The Nighthawk X10 also features the Industry's first 10 Gigabit Fiber connection in a home router for 10x faster wired connection to network storage.
Dual USB-A 3.0 Ports: The two USB-A 3.0 ports on the Nighthawk X10 can be used for faster backup and easy access to your stored media.
DLNA Server: The Nighthawk X10 functions as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you stream music and movies from an attached USB device to DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, Smart TVs, game consoles, and NETGEAR media players.
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- VPN Support: VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Secure WiFi Connections: Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2/WPA2-PSK security with Double firewall protection (SPI/NAT firewall) and Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Personal FTP Server: With your customized free URL, you can use FTP to access your network when you aren't home through Dynamic DNS.
LED Indicators: LEDs on the front-panel of the Nighthawk X10 indicate router status.
Mounting Options: The NETGEAR Smart WiFi Router can simply be placed on a flat-surface table-top or it can be wall-mounted using its integrated keyhole slots (mounting screws not included).
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher.
Firmware/Software Updates: Its USB ports and 512MB NAND flash/1GB DDR3 SDRAM memory provide future software feature expansion. Click here for the latest firmware/software updates from NETGEAR.
Voice Control: When you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa or Google Assistant to send your network credentials to your Alexa or Google Home app, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. The following voice commands are supported -
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to enable the guest network
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to disable the guest network
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to reboot my router
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to send me my WiFi settings
- Before you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you must download the The Nighthawk App for (Apple iOS 9.0+ & Android OS 4.2+), create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- There are two ways to enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa. You can use the command "Alexa, enable the NETGEAR skill" or you can manually link the NETGEAR skill to your Alexa app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+).
- You can only have one digital voice assistant (Alexa or Google) activated.
Nighthawk App: The Nighthawk App for Apple iOS 9.0+ & Android OS 4.2+ makes it easy and intuitive to setup and use the NETGEAR router. With the Nighthawk app, you can install your router using very few steps - just connect your mobile device to the default network, and the app will walk you through the rest. The app automatically updates the router to the latest firmware, allows you to personalize your WiFi network, and even help register your router with NETGEAR. At the end of installation, an easy to use overview screen provides quick way to see what your network credentials are so you don't have to write it down on a piece of paper. The overview screen also shows you all connected devices and links you to helpful support information related to your router.
Backup Apps: Keep your content safe by using NETGEAR's ReadySHARE Vault application for backing up Windows-based PCs. For Mac OS users, back-up using Apple Time Machine.
- ReadySHARE Vault (for Windows PC): NETGEAR ReadySHARE Vault is a free software for automatic Windows PC backup to a USB hard drive connected to the router. You can schedule automatic hassle-free backups to safeguard precious photos and files from any PC directly to the connected USB storage.
- Time Machine (for Mac): You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard disk drive that is connected to one of the router's USB ports.
NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD: Thanks to NETGEAR's ReadyCLOUD app, you get to enjoy personal and secure cloud access to USB storage devices connected to the Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router anytime, anywhere from your Apple iOS 8.0+ device, Android OS 4.0+ smartphone/tablet, or a web portal on your Windows or Mac computer.
PLEX: Plex organizes all of your video, music, and photo collections, and gives you instant access to them on all of your devices. With the free Plex Media Server software on your Windows PC 8.0-up and Plex for Apple iOS 9.3+ and Android OS 4.0+, you can enjoy all of your personal media on your PLEX enabled devices and easily share it with friends and family. Plex also makes your media look beautiful with rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information.
- Free Functionalities: Free functionalities of this app include playback of music, video, and photos between devices. Playing media from your Plex Media Server on a device running this app is limited (one minute for music and video, & photos) until the app is unlocked with a Premium Subscription.
- Optional Premium Subscription: With an optional premium Plex Pass subscription, you can even sync videos, music, and photos to your smartphones and tablets to enjoy while offline. Parental controls, premium music features, music videos, trailers and extras, and powerful management tools are also part of the premium subscription offering. A Plex Pass subscription is available for $4.99 monthly, $39.99 yearly, or $149.99 lifetime.
2 questions already asked